Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old jon

Guru
Early (ish) mornings are doing well, lately. A bit of a chill, not much traffic. Almost compulsory to pedal away and enjoy myself so I took the fixed out and off went I.

Totally devoid of any idea where to go to, the wander through Holbeck is thinking time. By the clock at Oakwood some vague ideas had arrived, turn left and along to Street Lane, the A61 and the bridleway to Eccup reservoir. I did not expect anything to have changed in the couple of weeks since I was last there. But things had. All the craters in the road surface have been filled. All the way to the village, where they must have run out of time or something.

Turn left on Eccup Lane and ride to Five Lane Ends, then turn right. This is the rising road at the eastern side of Golden Acre Park, Kings Road is at the crest. Instead of turning left there, I pedalled straight on for the descent of Black Hill Lane. Without a freewheel that is quite a difficult bit, but fun. Until that downhill I had been catching another rider, shortly after turning left onto the A659 I caught up and passed the rider, exchanging greetings. Why do I tell you this? I pass few riders.

Arthington stretches a long way on this road, Pool is next and after that Otley and its maypoles. Yes, munch time before the ride out and up Leeds Road. After that the ride through Bramhope and its road works slalom is a nice relaxation, a couple of minor rises before crossing the Ring Road then the long downhill through Headingley to Kirkstall. The bottom length of Kirkstall Lane is closed, and I would have been quite happy to use the pavement rather than the posted diversion to reach the towpath, but there was enough room on the road.

The towpath was quiet, a few other riders and maybe half a dozen pedestrians. I reckon the swan family just above Office Lock would outnumber walkers, seven or eight cygnets plus cob and pen. A heck of a lot of cygnets. From there, a wiggle around a few more corners to reach home. The grin was for thirty four pretty good miles and 1670 feet of climbing. Cannot be bad!

Where I went . . .

03082020.jpg

0308elev.jpg

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
We tested the Orbit electric assist tandem on Friday... lovely day around Gargrave so went for a 16 mile ride finding the steepest gradients we could test the motor assist... it was incredible- one of the hottest days of the year [topped 34 degrees C] and didn't break into a sweat! I can disengage the motor with one button click during normal pedalling on the flat and re-engage up to 3 levels of assist depending on how steep it is if we want a easier climb... 1 in 3 is possible on boost using the standard 42 by 11-46 set-up.

We've been planning it for a long time so ordered one... pretty much as seen in the photo , except I've asked if they can link up a dynamo hub on the front wheel. Lots of longer rides planned- down to Durham/ up to Berwick- the motor cuts out over 15mph so there's always power there for steeper hills which means it'll be good for 100 miles on a charge which will get us up to Bamburgh and back!

Attachments

• 116584486_10214823119366649_6791813178972021999_n.jpg
    116584486_10214823119366649_6791813178972021999_n.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
We went up 1600ft [10-14% gradients] in 16 miles to give it a good go and still had over 50 miles range in eco and 29 miles in boost and that was on the much used test bike which had been already been out once that day, so will definitely be giving it a good test by going up Whickham Bank when we get it as a good test! I can get up Whickham Bank on my hybrid bike with its 26/32 bottom gear but its is a slog and a half!

It's a grand bike when the motors switched off and the rolling resistance is less, and it's quicker than, our old tandem so I'll be happy keeping the assist for the home leg!

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
The intent for the sunny evening for the Defy was to go up the western Clint Bank as its a while since I have done that climb.

Descending down Hollins Lane into Hampsthwaite the angle of the sun and the shade of trees however was a clear problem; at times I was uncertain where on the carriageway I was.

Quickly abandoned going any further west and instead up Rowden Lane, Burley Bank and the northernmost Oaker Bank. 636ft climbed in 8.08 miles @13 mph avg.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Having been allocated one of the £50' Government fix your bike vouchers, I had a trip out Pedal Power Cycles in Rushmere St. Andrew to book a day/time to book the bike in for the work (free a stuck seatpost in a Van Nicholas frame).

Nothing special about the route - Levington then Nacton into Ipswich, out to Claydon via Sproughton & Bramford (all into a head wind), then back through Westerfield and finally into Rushmere and Pedal Power with just under 30 miles on the clock. It turns out that all I had to do was take the bike in, leave it with them and they'd have fitted it in whenever they could due to the level of work they've got on at the moment - but that could be up to 2 weeeks time!

From there, I headed home on the reverse direction of one of my regular outbound routes - Martlesham, Waldringfield, Newbourne and Bucklesham trying to beat the forecast rain for a decent start to a week off work.

Screenshot_2020-08-03 Pedal Power Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2020-08-03 Pedal Power Ride Strava(1).png

JPBoothy

Veteran
Having been allocated one of the £50' Government fix your bike vouchers, I had a trip out Pedal Power Cycles in Rushmere St. Andrew to book a day/time to book the bike in for the work (free a stuck seatpost in a Van Nicholas frame).

Nothing special about the route - Levington then Nacton into Ipswich, out to Claydon via Sproughton & Bramford (all into a head wind), then back through Westerfield and finally into Rushmere and Pedal Power with just under 30 miles on the clock. It turns out that all I had to do was take the bike in, leave it with them and they'd have fitted it in whenever they could due to the level of work they've got on at the moment - but that could be up to 2 weeeks time!

From there, I headed home on the reverse direction of one of my regular outbound routes - Martlesham, Waldringfield, Newbourne and Bucklesham trying to beat the forecast rain for a decent start to a week off work.

View attachment 539717 View attachment 539718
Not quite the usual "I'm just nipping to the shops" kind of route then :okay:

bluenotebob

Veteran
I’ve been feeling tired after July - my best ever month on the bike (1403km) - but I wanted to get out today and have a good ride before the serious heat returns later in the week.

A loop out NE past Pont Ruelland, then cutting down through Ville Davy and into Mauron. Onto the Voie Verte and down to Trégadoret. Up to the church in Loyat and time for a rest and a drink. Out W from Loyat and a quick look at the ‘Chateau of 100 Windows’, then on to Crétudel and a brief detour to admire the small chapelle. Heading E with the wind behind me .. through Kersamson and Guilliers, then a short loop N to Evriguet and then home via St Brieuc-de-Mauron.

53km in a gentle 3 hours (including photo stops)

Hay bales E of Pont Ruelland

The chateau at Loyat

The 18th century chapelle at Crétudel

Shropshire65LW

A couple of rides to report on.

Monday: After a wet and windy day the rain cleared up in the evening so I took the chance to get out knowing I was unlikely to have the chance on Tuesday. With the wind still being a bit blustery I opted for the Oaks-Pulverbatch-Wilderley-Dudgley-Longnor-Condover route as this would be into the wind early on and hopefully helping later on.

It was a pretty nice ride on mostly quiet roads, although not lockdown quiet. Not many other cyclists out - I imagine they'd mostly given the day up as a bad job. A bit of wildlife in the form of a buzzard and a sparrowhawk.

26.3 miles at 12.6 mph average.

View attachment 538773
The view from Lyth Hill as the remnants of the raincloud clear away to the east.

View attachment 538774
The top of the climb at Oaks. I needed to pause on the way up to allow a chap in a Porsche to overtake.

View attachment 538775
The evening light on the hills later in the ride was fantastic, appearing more golden than it has come out in the photos.

View attachment 538776
Another look back at Caer Caradoc from near Hollyhurst.

View attachment 538777
The sun has just set at I reach Ryton.

Yesterday: I wanted to go a bit further than usual so set out to do a 50 miler in a loop around Shrewsbury. I used the Raleigh this time and set out to head for Minsterley, Melverley, Baschurch, Hadnall, Upton Magna and back via Atcham and Condover.

I was setting out in the rush hour so it was a bit busy at the start with the lanes being a bit stop-start as I needed to allow other vehicles past. Things settled down a bit once past Exford's Green and I caught a couple of other cyclists on the way through Plealey. The main road section through Pontesbury wasn't too bad but I still made use of the cycleway to Minsterley (so much nicer than riding this stretch of road and raised slightly so the view is better too). After negotiating the temporary traffic lights in Minsterley I turned onto Horsebrige Road and met the first of five tractors and trailers I'd encounter in the next couple of miles - harvesting season is upon us.

Westbury, Halfway House and Crew Green were ticked off the list and here I turned to have a tailwind on the way to Melverley. Something hit my hand just after crossing the Severn and looking down I found a wasp sat on my right bar-end. Fortunate not to have been stung by that I think.

With the tailwind I got on well past the Royal Hill (too early for it to be open) and Pentre. The climb over the hill to Great Ness seemed fairly easy today and I whizzed along nicely to Hadnall then Yeaton. I was distracted by feeling a bit fidgety on the saddle round the Old Woods area but that passed when I took a drink stop near Merrington. Reaching Hadnall there was a strong but pleasant smell of beer brewing as I passed the Salopian premises and a driver sitting looking lost at the next cross roads.

Usually I don't look forward to the climbs at Ebury Hill and Haughmond Hill as they are a bit long and plodding and the wind is usually against me. Not a problem this time though. There was a good crowd of cyclists at the cafe at the Haughmond Inn and it looks like the Mytton and Mermaid has reopened too.:okay:

I did find the wind picking up again after Upton Magna and being a cross-headwind for pretty much the rest of the way back it slowed things down a little.

Edit: I forgot to mention overtaking a couple on the way into Condover, one of whom was on a nifty looking upright racing trike. You don't see many of those around.

53.2 miles at 15 mph average this time. Happy with that.

View attachment 538790
Between Pontesbury and Minsterley.

View attachment 538791
Looking into Wales just before descending to Prince's Oak.

View attachment 538792
The Breidden viewed from near Melverley.

View attachment 538793
Drink stop overlooking Bomere Heath and the Stretton Hills in the distance.

View attachment 538794
On the old bridge at Atcham.
looks like a nice ride , i used to live in that area , im 20 miles further north now still in Shropshire , i will have to come down and explore some of those lanes before summer ends

Old jon

Guru
Another morning just asking to be ridden in. Blue sky around and what felt like a gentle breeze, much too good not to be out enjoying it. Lets pedal the geared bike today.

Again, no particular place to go, I am sure that is one of Chuck Berry’s lines though I have heard many others singing this. So, ride up to Oakwood again and see what ideas I have. The bike turned left, no input from me, so all the way to the start of Street Lane. Hmm, turn off down Park Avenue with the intention of riding straight up to Slaid Hill. Road closed, so took a long wander around then a circuitous way to Five Lane Ends and Bramhope after riding down Kings Road.

Big whizzzz down Pool Bank, free speed is wonderful stuff, and turn left for Otley. Yet again. Must put more effort into route planning. Sometime, but I do enjoy the pedalling anyway. Up Leeds Road again, gears make this an easier process but I suspect the tailwind was more help. And in Bramhope decide to turn right for added extra uphill. The first bit being the steepest.

The rather good bit about climbing all the way up to the water tower at Cookridge is that it maximises the downhill to come. And reaching the bottom at Kirkstall the lights were still green, almost unheard of. So an extra bit of fast to cross the river and railway line on the way to the towpath and the last few miles to home. Which was reached after thirty six miles and 1900 feet of climbing. Well worth the smile.

round and about, up and down,

05082020.jpg

0508elev.jpg

JPBoothy

Veteran
Another morning just asking to be ridden in. Blue sky around and what felt like a gentle breeze, much too good not to be out enjoying it. Lets pedal the geared bike today.

Again, no particular place to go, I am sure that is one of Chuck Berry’s lines though I have heard many others singing this. So, ride up to Oakwood again and see what ideas I have. The bike turned left, no input from me, so all the way to the start of Street Lane. Hmm, turn off down Park Avenue with the intention of riding straight up to Slaid Hill. Road closed, so took a long wander around then a circuitous way to Five Lane Ends and Bramhope after riding down Kings Road.

Big whizzzz down Pool Bank, free speed is wonderful stuff, and turn left for Otley. Yet again. Must put more effort into route planning. Sometime, but I do enjoy the pedalling anyway. Up Leeds Road again, gears make this an easier process but I suspect the tailwind was more help. And in Bramhope decide to turn right for added extra uphill. The first bit being the steepest.

The rather good bit about climbing all the way up to the water tower at Cookridge is that it maximises the downhill to come. And reaching the bottom at Kirkstall the lights were still green, almost unheard of. So an extra bit of fast to cross the river and railway line on the way to the towpath and the last few miles to home. Which was reached after thirty six miles and 1900 feet of climbing. Well worth the smile.

round and about, up and down,

View attachment 539937

View attachment 539938

I bet that free speed wouldn't feel as pleasurable on your Fixed though. I could do with some of your blue sky though @Old jon as the wind and rain seem to be back with a vengeance around my way. I think that you definitely have to 'sieze the moment' as a cyclist in the UK don't you :okay:

Top Bottom