Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Rode a 51k circuit via Branscombe & Sidmouth today. I nearly ruptured a lung climbing the direct way out of town, then had to fight the headwind over the top. I didn't bother visiting the sea, though I was only half a mile away, following the coast route. Nearly lost my cap descending Salcombe Hill; had to grab it, then the brakes.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Today’s ride, 2/2/21
Yesterday was the day when I should have gone out, but I had things to sort out. The sun shone, the air was mild, but that was yesterday.

Today was a bit drizzly earlier on, dried out about lunch time though remained overcast. Should I stay or should I go? I’d considered a route of about 30 miles over the last couple of days, but time was tight. I decided to give it a go, there was always plan “B” if the weather turned or time just fled.

All thermalled up as before, no hiking socks this time, no neck tube, remembering last week’s sweatfest despite the low temperatures.

Out through the garage door, on to the drive, as last time. No messing about.

Out of the close, turn left on to minor roads, then left at T junction on to Swanlow Lane, across the uphill traffic lights and follow Swanlow Lane on to the roundabout on the A54. Straight on along Delamere St, Chester Rd, then TR to the Whitegate road, Dalefords Lane through the crossroads in Whitegate village to the traffic lights at Sandiway. Straight on, (there are road works here today with traffic diversion signs but no one pays me any attention as I roll through the cones), oblique right at the T Junction with Weaverham Road, down the hill to the next cross roads, Straight on past the Primary School on the left, carefully down the rather winding road to the hump of the bridge over the railway then let off the brakes to roll down the long straight to the cross roads at Mill Lane at the bottom. As I thought, time is galloping by so instead of going straight on I turn right along Mill Lane towards Hartfordbeach and implement plan “B”.

This is a nice undulating lane where the recumbent shines. Build up speed towards the bottom of the dips. Keep rolling in the same gear and ease off towards the top. Roll gently over the summit, gently increase speed again, repeat. There is something very relaxing and long leggedy about this, not to do with speed or strength, but with lazily maintaining momentum. As I am not long leggedy, and fairly lazy, that’s a treat for me. A long level straight stretch follows, with traffic lights for a bridge over a railway junction in the distance. The bridge used to be two lane but at some time it was decided that traffic lights would be a more economic solution rather than rebuilding or reinforcing it. As it is, you have time when approaching it on a bike to watch the lights change repeatedly, and wonder if there will be an obliging motorist around to trigger the green in your favour when you get there. At that time of day there is not much traffic about.

As it happens, the lights go green just as I get to the bridge. There’s a steep climb to the top then a second bridge before dropping down on the other side. Next a residential road ending in a roundabout on the Hartford road where I go right. Some traffic about but easy enough to take the right lane at the next traffic lights to go right over another railway bridge then straight on past the Grange school and across the next lights. Straight down towards the traffic lights at the A556 junction but am brought to a halt by a car stopping unexpectedly at a crossing. Fumbling to get into a low enough gear to launch again, sometimes with all the anticipation in the world you end up stopped in the wrong gear. Fortunately with the can of cogs in the back hub it doesn’t take long to get going again.

Across the A566 to the cycle path, across the Weaver bridge and up the steep hill on the other side of the river. Right into Davenham, manouevreing past oncoming buses and cars until I reach London Road and turn right. Wriggling round the speed humps then turning right into Jack Lane towards Moulton I avoid more speed humps. Passing a woman with a small boy on the pavement I hear her say’ “Oooh! look at that cool bike!” and the boy says “Bike! bike!”. Another potential recumbentist in years to come, perhaps.

Continuing along Jack Lane I come to the T junction with the A533 where I turn right on to this fairly busy road. There is a painted cycle lane each side of this two lane road but in the direction I am travelling it is muddy with some puddles. There is a grating every few metres in the middle of the cycle lane but many are hidden under puddles and I begin to wonder if I am going to come across a missing one under water. The 20” front wheel would stop pretty quickly in one of those. As it is now, there is a bump every time I pass a grating. Not the best design. There are roadworks where this stretch of road meets a roundabout and the cycle lane is closed off in my direction by barriers which push you out towards the overtaking traffic. Traffic behind me waits while I make a spurt from the cycle lane end to the roundabout and head off the next spasm of traffic going round it.

I go straight across on to a road through an industrial estate. There are road works all along this stretch and the presence of a cycle lane each side adds to the temporary narrowness of it. I stop to turn on my rear flashing light. I can’t say it makes me feel less vulnerable; maybe it will give drivers something to aim at on this dull day. Then it starts to rain. How nice.

I press on to the junction at the end of the road where there are traffic lights stubbornly at red. A large box van comes alongside me as I am rolling about 25 metres from the lights. It stops, waiting to turn into an entrance opposite. The lights turn green and I speed up again. The box van stays stationary long enough to hold up traffic behind me so I can get across the junction unmolested on to Clive Lane and then turn right into the next turning.

This is Rilshaw Lane, up which until last week I had not travelled for over a year, and down which I am now going to return in the rain. At this end it has plenty of trees to help keep the rain off. The trend is downhill so I have a leisurely two mile tree lined roll. At the bottom it climbs steeply to cross the bridge over the Station Road Bypass before meeting Station Road itself. I have to wait for a flow of traffic before turning left on Station Road. Then I wait for the queue of traffic to do whatever it is going to to at the adjacent junction with the by pass. Then I dive across, follow the road right, and nip into Weaver Street.

Here the road climbs steeply and is a test of what I can I can summon up of my recumbent legs from last year. A bit of a struggle but today, I have managed to stay aboard which is a plus point from my last outing, when I had to get off and push.

I get up the steepest part of the climb spinning and getting hot before changing up as the slope eases. The recumbent legs are still awol as per the last ride but they will return once I get the miles in. Over the kerb to Ways Green and Gladstone Street then Swanlow Lane and home. It felt a long climb from the bottom of Weaver St. today. I arrive home hot, sweaty, rain soaked but happy. My only regret -no photos today.

Distance 18.47miles Average 10.3mph Max 25.6mph

Total Ascent:​

441​

ft​

Total Descent:

447​

ft​

Start Elevation:

194​

ft​

End Elevation:

189​

ft​

Min Elevation:

71​

ft​

Max Elevation:

257​

ft​

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
A bit of sunshine and slightly improved temperatures helped to get me going. Flooding continues so I couldn't get across Longdon Marsh. Instead I took the Old Pendock Church dodge. Both the Severn and Avon were very high at Tewkesbury but it would have to be very exceptional for those bridges to be closed. There was a superb display of cyclamen at Lower Westmancote. Should've taken a pic. I did take a pic of the snowdrops at Ashton-under-Hill as I'd stopped for a quick bite to eat. The Avon had flooded at Eckington so I was forced to cross at Pershore. That lead to the higher and more exposed run through to Upton. With sufficient chill breeze it was a bit of a slog at times. Still flooded at Upton so it was the Tunnel Hill way home. Longest ride of 2021 so far. 58 smiles

1612378276616.png

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Riding home in an absolute deluge and got a puncture at the start so I'm trying to change the tube in freezing rain and the tyre is shredded so I'm facing an ,7 mile walk when a van pulls up and asks me if I need a lift! I accept as I'm stranded and my hands are already frozen ,turns out he lives in the same town .
Sometimes stuff restores your faith in people
Just fitted a wiggle lifeline commuter tyre and I am impressed for the price a good tyre

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A couple of rides done:
Yesterday: I went for a shorter version of my Acton Burnell loop just to get some miles in. Still milder out than of late but a cooler and stronger wind than the previous day. I headed over Lyth Hill at the start and dropped down to Condover, finding the lanes wetter than expected after more overnight rain. The flood on the way to Longnor is back to needing to be careful to avoid getting soggy feet.

I picked up a decent tailwind after Longnor so made good progress through Acton Burnell and Pitchford before dropping into the dip and the climb out the other side. I decided to vary things a bit by staying on this road after Cantlop and heading for Weeping Cross and home via Meole Brace. Finishing into the wind was unavoidable but I wouldn't have minded as much if it hadn't rained on me as well in the last couple of miles.

A fraction over 20 miles at 13.1 mph average. No pictures from this one.

Today: The forecast looked good but I was struggling to make my mind up where to go - Somewhere different to recent rides and somewhere that I wasn't going to get my feet wet. I decided to head to Wilderley via Stapleton as I very rarely ride that lane and even more rarely in that direction.

I started off with a climb up to the top of Lyth Hill and dropped down the Annscroft side to add a bit of distance. The temporary lights are working properly today. Heading round to Exford's Green I took a bit of a detour just for a change before rejoining the road to Stapleton. There were more people out walking along the lanes than I've seen for a while (not huge crowds though so easy to keep my distance) and a couple of horse riders too.

Turning onto the lane to Wilderley it was quiet and I settled down to a comfortable pace on the long steady climb. I really thought I might have the lane to myself the whole way to the top but saw somone walking then was overtaken by a van in the last couple of hundred yards.

Taking a left I headed past Coppice Farm and made for the Picklescott Road, greeting a passing cyclist on the way - the only one I saw today. The descent to Dorrington is an enjoyable one. On the wet road I took it with a tad more caution than usual but it's still a good bit of road. The A49 was very quiet which made the crossing easy then I picked up the tailwind to Ryton, Condover and up to the short stretch along the A49. This all went well although I did wonder about one driver who was all set to go charging past at a point where the road is a bit too narrow for it - they did hold back fortunately.

Nearing home I realised that the mileage was going to be just under 20 which would have irritated me, so a bit of a tour round the village was taken to round it up.

20.1 miles at 12.2 mph average. I enjoyed that one.^_^

The view from the top of Lyth Hill once again. The Stretton hills are hiding in low cloud today but there are some good sunbeams breaking through.

Up at Wilderley.

Just before starting my descent to Dorrington - looking back to where I took the first photo from.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Been doing some bimbling rides of late, a work colleague uses wandrer.earth so I thought I'd give it a try, it tracks how many of your local roads you have ridden. Seems kind of in keeping with current restrictions, and I found a good few places yesterday that I'd never been to. On the more beaten track, the Thames Path at Staines Bridge (behind the old 3 screen cinema for those old enough to remember) made me turn and go another way, just as the rain started.
Thames Path 3-2-21.jpg

That was yesterday, and today saw a 3 mile trip to the bank extended to 21 miles, partly due to another part of the Thames flooded, this time roadside at Chertsey Bridge. I'll admit I ignored the road closed signs, and made an effort to get through this, but seeing another cyclist coming from the other and with their feet under the water made my mind up to turn around.
Flooded Thames Chertsey 4 Feb 21.jpg

Rather than re-trace my steps I ambled through Charlton Village past the site of the old 'Bendy Toys' factory.
Back on the commute tomorrow

footloose crow

Über Member
4 Feb. Why does it always rain on me...

I am under a bridge, shivering. It has been raining hard enough to feel the drops impact through my clothes and there is a layer of water running across the road. There are deeper puddles that run from verge to verge where the road dips. My shoes are full of water despite wearing my thickest, most waterproof covers. There is a spreading dampness in my base layer that starts at the neck and is moving southwards. My gloves are wet and cold. I dropped one of them in a puddle and a lorry ran it over. When I put it back on, it was no wetter than the one still on my hand.

I am not sure I am having a great time.

A text arrives from my wife. She is tracking me on Strava beacon and is concerned that I have not moved for ten minutes. Perhaps I have crashed? No I am standing under a railway bridge somewhere between Treverbyn and Bugle. Its raining here. Apparently not raining at home, that's good to know.

Time to move before I get colder.

It all started so well. Blue sky and a forecast that suggested a 30% probability of a light shower. I have been on new roads and enjoying different views today. Not fast, not slow. Not racing the hills but changing down through the gears and there are so many to choose from in my super low cassette. Spin, puff, spin, puff and the minor summits arrive with my lungs intact.

Looking across to the Cornish Alps. Only when I turned around I could see the rain coming....

Along lanes and some OK cycle path following the NCN signs through the steep back roads of St Austell. I never seem to do this the same way twice. Onto the Clay Trails, a network of gravel paths that criss cross the old clay pits and link the north and south edges of this pale, lunar landscape. The rain has caught up with me but it is ordinary rain and I am happy to continue grinding up the rain washed, stone filled gravel path to reach the Cornish heights, all 225 vertical metres of it . Ten per cent on gravel is worth 15% on the road - right?

It is only when I am at the furthest point from home that the rain turns Hollywood. A fire hose of cold water. A sudden explosionof gravel filled drainage from the steep slopes to my right. The hiss of wet tyres on a damp road changes to a slurping, foaming bow wave around the wheels. I centre the pedals in the deeper puddles and hope there are no potholes. It is twilight-dark at just 1pm. The rain has sucked all the light out of the sky.

No stopping. Pedalling creates some flickers of warmth in the dampness of my clothing. The kilometres pass...more quickly than miles would anyway. I have stopped looking at the scenery, just the road. Watching for holes. Avoiding debris.

In the last ten kilometres the rain peters out and on the horizon is a line of blue. The blackness is behind me.

Amazing how that clearer sky, brighter light can lift the mood. I have stopped feeling so cold. I wonder what all the fuss was about.

It's Just a bit of rain......

Screenshot 2021-02-04 at 22.14.16.png

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
A days holiday today so out on the Paul Hewitt at 11am. Very damp and pretty foggy so lights on and brighter clothing. A nice steady ride out to the outskirts of York, rivers were high and lots of flooded fields still.
26.4 miles with an average of 15.2 mph.

One of the very few good things to come out of the pandemic lockdowns is that it led many of us to be a bit creative to seek out and devise interesting rides of limited distance within our own localities. During the first lockdown last year I created a couple of routes both with the theme of riding through large parks that have wide good surfaced pathways running through them. I called these routes '7 Parks' and '4 Parks' respectively. Both routes are entirely within the Greater Manchester footprint so the furtherest I am from home at any time is 15 miles. I rode the '7 Parks' route today on my mtb as I knew the path through Daisy Nook would be very muddy after recent snow and rain. All the other 6 parks were on totally all weather surfaces and weren't muddy at all.
These parks are all very scenic and pleasing to the eye. Great for seeing the changing seasons throughout the year. Total mileage today 40.8 miles with a very modest 2122 ft of ascent.
Here are a few pics (manly of the park entrances):

13 rider

Guru
4 Feb. Why does it always rain on me...

I am under a bridge, shivering. It has been raining hard enough to feel the drops impact through my clothes and there is a layer of water running across the road. There are deeper puddles that run from verge to verge where the road dips. My shoes are full of water despite wearing my thickest, most waterproof covers. There is a spreading dampness in my base layer that starts at the neck and is moving southwards. My gloves are wet and cold. I dropped one of them in a puddle and a lorry ran it over. When I put it back on, it was no wetter than the one still on my hand.

I am not sure I am having a great time.

A text arrives from my wife. She is tracking me on Strava beacon and is concerned that I have not moved for ten minutes. Perhaps I have crashed? No I am standing under a railway bridge somewhere between Treverbyn and Bugle. Its raining here. Apparently not raining at home, that's good to know.

View attachment 572126

Time to move before I get colder.

It all started so well. Blue sky and a forecast that suggested a 30% probability of a light shower. I have been on new roads and enjoying different views today. Not fast, not slow. Not racing the hills but changing down through the gears and there are so many to choose from in my super low cassette. Spin, puff, spin, puff and the minor summits arrive with my lungs intact.

View attachment 572124
Looking across to the Cornish Alps. Only when I turned around I could see the rain coming....

Along lanes and some OK cycle path following the NCN signs through the steep back roads of St Austell. I never seem to do this the same way twice. Onto the Clay Trails, a network of gravel paths that criss cross the old clay pits and link the north and south edges of this pale, lunar landscape. The rain has caught up with me but it is ordinary rain and I am happy to continue grinding up the rain washed, stone filled gravel path to reach the Cornish heights, all 225 vertical metres of it . Ten per cent on gravel is worth 15% on the road - right?

It is only when I am at the furthest point from home that the rain turns Hollywood. A fire hose of cold water. A sudden explosionof gravel filled drainage from the steep slopes to my right. The hiss of wet tyres on a damp road changes to a slurping, foaming bow wave around the wheels. I centre the pedals in the deeper puddles and hope there are no potholes. It is twilight-dark at just 1pm. The rain has sucked all the light out of the sky.

No stopping. Pedalling creates some flickers of warmth in the dampness of my clothing. The kilometres pass...more quickly than miles would anyway. I have stopped looking at the scenery, just the road. Watching for holes. Avoiding debris.

In the last ten kilometres the rain peters out and on the horizon is a line of blue. The blackness is behind me.

Amazing how that clearer sky, brighter light can lift the mood. I have stopped feeling so cold. I wonder what all the fuss was about.

It's Just a bit of rain......

View attachment 572135
The answer to your question ,it's because you lied when you were seventeen ,according to the song :okay:
Cold Cornish rain:cold:, well done on getting out definitely type 2 fun

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
My first ride for a week, but I'm a sucker for punishment, so I followed up last week's Metric Century-a-Month Challenge ride with February's century .... a 101.8km (63.3 mile) ride. Still staying local, but at times about 15 miles away from home, I started with a big loop out to Cam and Slimbridge, taking my first drinks stop outside my favourite eating pub, the Frocester George:

Thankfully I didn't have to climb Frocester Hill today. One day, when this pandemic is over, the club is sure to throw it in, and I'm not too confident of keeping up my 100% record of getting up it in one. Here it is in the background:

The Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust was still closed at Slimbridge, but I rode all the way to the entrance anyway, as it's a nice ,smooth, flat road and there were plenty of greylag geese to be seen. You can see the observation tower in this shot:

Apologies for this next shot, as I have an abysmal zoom on my camera, which was chosen for its robustness and water-proof qualities. As I was exploring some of the lanes near Slimbridge, I spotted a group of three big grey birds in a field. They were behaving a bit like herons, but looked more like emus! On closer inspection, I'm pretty sure this was my very first sighting of cranes in the wild:

From the 40 mile mark onwards, the weather detiorated. The wind sprung up just as I started heading into it, and the temperature dropped as it started to rain. Then came a miraculous little weather window for about two minutes as I stopped for a drink by these daffodils. Almost spring-like it was:

After a pretty miserable last twenty miles, I got home in 5 hours 33 mins ..... almost an hour faster than last week's effort, but with freezing cold feet. Don't let the sunshine and daffodils fool you. 101.8km (63.3 miles) done, so still in the challenge. The good news is that I don't have to decide whether to put myself through that again until near the end of March.
Cheers, Donger.

colly

Re member eR
Up early and a glance out of the window showed a damp morning. It was still dark when I got the bike out and I thought I was being crafty by getting a few miles in before the predicted rains today. Almost 50 yards up the road and the heavens opened:sad:. By the time I got to the roundabout on Easterly Road I was soaked to the skin. So I abandoned the plan of a trip out to Selby and decided on some local stuff so I could bale out as and when I had had enough.
Back past home and some loops around local roads and through the park. By the time I had been up Easterly Road three times and up through the park twice the wet and the cold told me to get the f*** home. Which I did.
Pleased I got out but even more pleased to get in again. Spent 5 mins mopping the kitchen floor.

11.7 miles and 977ft of upness.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/62308219

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
Didn’t manage to get out at all during the working week, due to the weather and so I dragged myself out into the fog and mizzle, for a morning ride. Bitingly cold wind, the sort that makes your face and teeth hurt.

Set out through the nearby estate, then through Betton Abbots and along Lyons Lane, to Condover. Then changed from my normal route and for the first time ever I climbed up the long slope to Berriewood and Condover industrial estate. Done it in the opposite direction, a few times, but never this way round. It is a pull, but not overly steep.

I then turned down to Wheathall and along to Gonsal, looped through Ryton village and then Dorrington, where the A49 was quiet, which meant it was easy to cross onto the Netley road.

After leaving the village, I took the narrow lane back towards the A49, which gets worse and worse every time I use it. It’s virtually impassable, for a car now, with the numerous potholes, craters, sand, gravel and water. Little or no Tarmac. It’s not surprising, when you find huge arctic lorries using it, as myself and 2 walkers did today, luckily where we could get into a gateway and out of the road. The chap remarked about the size of the lorry being unsuitable for the lane and it would certainly have broken more of the road up. I think it’s time to strike that lane off the ones to ride.

The short section on the A49 was quiet and I then called at dad’s for a quick chat, before continuing on to Exfords Green and Annscroft, where 1 of the 2 sets of traffic lights has gone. The drizzle got a little heavier and the fog even thicker, as I neared Shrewsbury, finishing the ride by going through Meole village and home.

18.57 miles at 11.6mph avg. No point on taking any photo’s, due to the fog.

Top Bottom