Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old jon

Guru
A couple of rides,

20th March 2021
A ride down the riverbank and back on the Bob Jackson. The intention was to go a lot further, but I realised I had forgotten my wallet. And we all know that if things can go wrong they most certainly will.

And in this case did. The chainwheel gearchange had been less than good, so I thought to have a bit of a fettle. The result was a frayed cable end, but a shift that worked a lot better. I now have to replace the cable and cross my fingers.

21st March 2021
Sunshine, same bike as yesterday, same start of the route but no fettling today thank you. And I remembered my wallet. Downstream to Woodlesford after yet more making sure the chain is moving where the shifter tells it. This, I think, is part of NCN 67. A busy part even at nine o’ clock on a March Sunday morning. Things became quieter the nearer to Fishponds Lock I rode, and then busy happened again.

No problem, time to ride on the road. Such as they are, the hills start about now. Up into Swillington and more of the same to leave. Hook Moor wind farm comes into view just before Garforth, I can freewheel down to the roundabout. The third exit is the A63, most of Garforth is north of this. I still have to ride up Garforth Cliff though, and it did feel pretty steep this morning.

Then things are level. Through Peckfield Bar, this place must have been important once, it’s a collection of farm buildings and a roundabout now. Sells seeds and stuff. Another mile or so down the road, another roundabout and turn left to pedal through Micklefield. A cyclist passed me, close to the railway bridge. He, and I, had to stop at some roadworks lights a bit further on. A bit of a chat, he was riding a Pinarello and I might have spelt that right. Just checked and I did. Anyway, what a fugly bike that is. Not seen one close before, no need to see one again.

Carry on to the B1217 and turn right, and turn left when the gates of Lotherton Hall are reached. Over the bump to Aberford and from there a few more lumps to reach Barwick. Scholes is next, Sunday somnolent, and the A64 was similar. Turn off that and remind myself that in a few weeks I will have to find a different way home from here. Not a problem today though.

Red Hall Lane to the Wetherby Road, but not going there now. Turn to Leeds and back down the big hill to the edge of the centre. Crown Point Bridge takes me south of the river, leaving a dodge in and out of Hunslet before reaching home. A very enjoyable thirty three miles pasted a grin on my face when saw my front door. And 1500 feet going up was pretty fair too.

Garthing doodles

21032021.jpg

2103elev.jpg

Managed to stay above water today.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
A beautiful day in North Yorkshire so I met up with Martin from the next village for another ride into York for a coffee. On Fridays almost identical ride I had a chat with a gentleman riding a Dawes Galaxy, he was the rector at Healaugh Church and he suggested that next time we were passing we should ride up to the church, sit on the bench and take in the views so that is what we did on our way out of York. Definitely worth a stop off if you are passing. 34.28 miles with an average of 14.1 mph.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Sorry no photos :sad:
1st metric century of the year today , legs ached from when i got up due to DIY the day before but once warmed up felt pretty good today so me and my usual ride partner tried to keep the pace good.He had some carbon mid section wheels so was testign them out and hes 7 years younger ( the right side of 50 ) so very strong .
Went to Birches Valley in Cannock for the cafe stop after 37 miles after a big lump up around Brocton and the german cemetary then a flattish run back which saw my legs struggling at the last 5 or so miles on hills

Quick 15 mile utility ride this evening. Been pondering what 'utility' actually means?
'Useful'?... if so, definitely! Spring has most certainly sprung, what a beautiful end to the day.
View attachment 579130
That nasty wind has gone (respect to all those who ventured out!), just perfect riding in that low March sun.
View attachment 579131
Daffs are out around Chester Walls... did some meandering around the back streets. In any normal year I would stay well clear, but now it's so peaceful. A whole new perspective on a normally hectic city which is frankly a pain to ride in rush hour traffic!
Watergate Street 5pm.
View attachment 579132
Nice though cycling is through empty streets, I can't wait for the buzz to be back. This has been a bloody long haul :sad:
Some bimbling along the Shropshire Union is always a tranquil route, will head south east towards Birmingham over the coming months to discover more about this interesting tow path ride.
View attachment 579141
So, amazing what a 'utilty ride' offers up. History, plans for the future, regrets at how things are?
Glad I went out :okay:
View attachment 579142

Nice!!
We have a long weekend (self-catering) booked in Chester, towards the end of April..... if guide-lines stay the same........
Staying in the 'Tin Chapel'

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Got a very enjoyable 30 miler in today, including the first big hill of the year. When I really needed it, I just couldn't get into the granny ring, and after a couple of hundred yards too many in the middle ring, I just had to pull to one side and dismount to change gear manually. By then I was regretting not having a helmet liner on, as the sweat was pouring into both eyes and blinding me. I think having to stay local due to this pandemic is definitely setting me back a few years, fitness wise. Still, I did make it to the top of Horsepools Hill and up beyond to Stockend near the top of Haresfield Beacon. It was a little hazy, but there were far-reaching views across the Severn Vale to reward me for the effort:

Next came a thrilling descent down towards Whiteshill, hanging a right for Randwick and descending through the woods for a mile or so. Eventually I had to pull over by Randwick Church as I was braking as hard as I possibly could and still doing 7mph.

My hands were hurting! Here is the view of the steep road I'd come down:

In all the club rides I've ever done, I think my one and only ever climb up past Randwick Church was the closest I've ever come to falling over sideways as the pedals refused to make one more turn. Somehow I made it back then, but I'm certain I will never be able to repeat that.

After descending through Paganhill and Cashes Green, I made my way over to Godsell's Farm, Leonard Stanley and went to investigate something I'd heard rumours about. Turns out the rumours were true. There really is a CHEESE VENDING MACHINE there!! Oh my goodness. Now, I have to admit to being a total cheesoholic, and a particular admirer of Godsell's cheeses, which find their way onto menus in all the top eateries around here (as well as being sold in the Gloucester Services on the M5). Not only that, but the machine also sells a variety of different sticky puddings!

This may be the greatest single invention since sliced bread .... or it may turn out to be my nemesis. Losing weight so I can get up those hills is going to be just a tad more difficult now. I must abstain. I must abstain. I must abstain.
Cheers, Donger.

Mike_P

Guru
Very old but fail proof (to date) Sportscam mount fitted to the Defy along with a nut and bolt holding the bridge to the mudguard to stop the former from sliding. All okay then; full length bibs today plus a top baselayer and the Wahoo also charged up so it managed to get pass where it died yesterday late this morning

Then turned north

through Killinghall and pass Ripley where mister flappy jacket thankfully turned into but it was obviously not all was well and stopping just before Scarah Bank I realised I had not fully tightened the bolts into the seat stay. Appropriate attention given but on the climb of the bank the need for some tweaking was evident and I stopped in a layby beyond the top to undertake that. All was quite thereafter

until on the long westbound drag of the route of NCN688 “Way of the Roses” there was suddenly a loud rubbing noise. Belatedly braked and discovered the bolt into the nearside seat stay was missing; back tracked to no avail as it was most likely buried in the verge. Continued west and then south around Brimham Rocks where I noticed the car park was almost full and hopefully some National Trust staff about.
Indeed there was and a length of twine acquired in an attempt to resolve the matter. It did not work and the decent south eastwards in a PR was accompanied by a sound akin to a poorly ebike along with chattering teeth; the sun had vanished and it was:cold:
Snag came thereafter with Spring House Wood Climb. Two cars were coming the other way which forced me to the side of the road on the approach bridge out of the racing line and the rubbing mudguard acting like a partially stuck on brake detracted further from forward motion on the climb so I resorted to shanks’s pony for the upper steeper part.

Through Bunt Yates and down Bedlam Bank to Ripley and the outbound route largely reversed until the final plateau before the last climb. Decided that wheeling the bike along a path upwards by 27ft for c.110m was more favourable than c 710m with 40ft climbing with that rubbing mudguard. With that deducted 21.69 miles with 1663ft climbed with a very noisy max speed of 31.8mph.

gavgav

Guru
An afternoon ride with @Rickshaw Phil in lovely Spring sunshine. I dispensed with a fleece, for the first time this year :hyper: and the sun actually felt warm!

We set off through Betton Abbots, turning down the lanes to Berrington and Cross Houses, where we briefly joined the very busy A458, before the descent down to Atcham. From there we headed to Berwick Wharf and Upton Magna, before climbing up East Haughmond hill, where we paused for photo’s and me to take a layer off, as I was too warm. Oh I’ve missed that warmer feeling in the air.

The Wrekin in the distance

We then descended again, before climbing up Ebury Hill and then descending to Astley. From there it was lanes to Hadnall, crossing the A49 and along Plex Lane, after which I joined some new territory for me, towards Pimhill, Bomere Heath and Merrington. Some beautiful views overlooking Bomere Heath and on to the Shropshire hills are visible along here, but we had to don the extra layer again, as that northerly wind had gone colder

Looking back at Pimhill.

The section to Merrington and Old Woods was really pleasant cycling country and despite wondering if I had indeed ridden along here before, Strava confirms I haven’t and it’s always good to explore new lanes.

I was back on familiar ground at Yeaton, where I took us the hillier way towards Little Ness and then Forton, Montford Bridge and the hard climb up, then descent down to Bicton. We turned up Calcott lane, then through the suburbs of Gains Park and Copthorne, before climbing to Nobold, where we ignored the road closed sign and found the roadworks appeared to have finished anyway, with the sign having gone from the other end.

The final section was through Meole village and we parted ways at the island, for our remaining short journeys home.

31.58 miles at 11.5 mph avg.

Poor effort today, just wasn't feeling it, despite the nice weather. Probably the wrong thread for it, and might put a post somewhere else, but since wor lass left me (a year ago now) I seem to struggle for motivation. Always ride by myself, much prefer solo rides so when she left I thought, fine I'll get out on the bike ALOT more, but its been a LOT LESS and despite having much more time to myself I cant work out why - I think I liked coming back to the questions, how was it, how far did you get, did you enjoy it etc, and now I just come back to an empty house ... cant believe my motivation for riding was coming back to questions about it but to be brutally honest, I now have more time in my life than ever before to ride a bike and I'm out 1/5th of the time I normally am!! Anyway, don't want to hijack the thread :sad:

Robin of Pegswood ( a statue of a miner firing his 'arrow' towards the Government in London)
1616356982004.png

1616357028203.png

One of those outings where if it could go wrong it did although contrary to the weather forecast it was sunny. At least the puncture was pre ride, the repaired front slime inner tube almost flat again and on examination not only had the repair failed but there was slime at the joint of the valve so that inner tube found a new home in refuse wheelie bin. Took a couple of attempts to get a new inner tube on right, a 28-35 is nearly a touch on the wide side for a road bikes wheel.

Decided on bib 3/4s with a long sleeve jersey but the first attempt only got a few 100 metres before I decided that the rear mudguard would have to come off at it was not staying in place. Second attempt more successful but no sooner than I joined the westbound A59 than the Wahoo died. Pulled into a layby and activated Strava on the phone. Then via Burley Bank
View attachment 579546
to Penny Pot where it was plainly noticeable the wind was stronger than forecast as seven of the eight wind turbines at Knabbs Ridge were active. Two ebikes whizzed pass and I decided to forego any more slogging against the wind by turning to Kettlesing Head and along the east side of RAF Menwith Hill in a new PR. Intent to turn along the north side way was thwarted by a road closed sign and whilst Nidderdale looked nice ahead
View attachment 579545
I turned east, down grade largely freewheeling with tailwind until there was a thud as the sportscam hit the tarmac; another broken mount:sad: Took a good few minutes to find it, the white rubber plug on the mount was the give away of where in the verge it was lying. The tailwind then aided a procession of PRs east through and upgrade away from Hampsthwaite. 15.52 miles 922ft climbed,
When the cycling Gods are against you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Lovely little cafe ride today with my boy. 8 miles down to our favourite cafe, which closed at 4pm according to the internet. Imagine my son's horror when we got there and it was closed. No panini? There was another cyclist gentleman outside pondering what to do next. Lucky my other favourite cafe is just a mile or so away. I called them to check they were open, gave directions to the other chap and off we set. Hurrah...Honey Street was open. My son got his panini, I got an incredible billionaire's shortbread. Then we slogged our heavy bellies up the giant hill home.

I LOVE cycling with my boy. Makes me so happy.

AndreaJ

Veteran
A lovely sunny day to be out and after a chat with a neighbour out walking his dog I set off into Whixall turning at the crossroads at Hollinswood to Fenns Wood, Fenns Bank, Alkington down the first lane to Tilstock turning back to Whixall then the opposite direction at the crossroads to Coton, Coton Wood, through the woods to Steel Heath and onto the Whitchurch road. Passed the pub at Coton and took the second turn back into Whixall, Waterloo, Edstaston, Paddolgreen,Ryebank, Horton and back home. There were more people out on bikes, horses and walking dogs than cars today. 27.3 miles in the spring sunshine.

I was in Stuttgart visiting Beautiful Wife and Daughter, and the Three Brothers, two of whom are now bigger than me with the third coming along.

As usual, Beautiful Daughter decided this was a time for a bike tour to the playground, and thence to the forest, where we continued the construction of the Tipi.

Beautiful Daughter as Chief Engineer in charge of Project Tipi.

20210320_111158.jpg

Tinybug was a bit tired afterwards, but this is why we have Xtracycles, for the uphill bits:

20210320_115323.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom