Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Three rides to report on:
Saturday morning: My brother wanted a bit of a ride so I wasn't going to quibble. He was only looking to do about 12 miles so I offered a route over Lyth Hill and looping round through Annscroft, Exford's Green, Stapleton, Ryton, Berriewood and Condover before returning the flattest way along the main road.

Lyth Hill was as busy as ever with both the top and bottom car parks mostly full. I wonder if it'll stay as popular when lockdown does end? Having got through Annscroft and round to Exford's Green I thought I'd vary the route slightly by taking a right and a left onto some quieter lanes. A passing comment from a horse rider about how much traffic there was today suggested otherwise and we did have to stop a few times to let vehicles by.

After Stapleton we enjoyed having the lane through Gonsal to ourselves pretty much then at Ryton I realised that I'd understimated the distance a bit (something I've got a bit of a reputation for :shy:) so Doug opted to cut out the bit to Berriewood and head directly for Condover. We were finishing into a headwind which was causing Doug to struggle a little bit. He did want to experiment with riding in my slipstream but it didn't make a lot of difference.

13.3 miles at 11.7 mph average.

Enjoying the view from the top of Lyth Hill.

Saturday afternoon: Yes, I'm a naughty boy, taking two rides in a day.:blush: I'd enjoyed the trip with Doug but still had a hankering to get more miles under my belt so headed out again after lunch to do my regular Condover - Longnor - Acton Burnell - Harnage - Berrington - Condover route. The knockabout bike was already out so I used that again.

Taking the main road to Condover I had the wind at my back and enjoyed a fairly quick run through there and onwards to Ryton and Longnor. The flood on the way to Longnor has gone since last time but some signs warning about it have appeared. I had expected that I'd see a few other riders on the lane to Frodesley and Acton Burnell as this is quite a popular cycling route but today there was just the one and there weren't very many people out walking either. All watching the rugby perhaps? :scratch:(the Scotland - Italy match was under way).

Having passed through Cound Moor and Harnage there were more people walking in Cound and the flag of the day was the St. Patrick's Cross. I headed towards the A458 as usual but having a headwind didn't entice me to stay on it into Cross Houses, so it was the lane into Berrington this time. The wind helped a bit on the way back to Condover but like the earlier ride I had to slog against it back to the main road and home.

23.8 miles at 13.9 mph average.

A great display of daffs at Cound.

Sunday: A ride in the company of @gavgav, which he has already written up a few posts ago. Setting out on my Raleigh I had a bit of a moment on the way to our meeting point when a motorist did a rather risky overtake into a pinch point. He almost hit the kerb and I was unimpressed at having someone swerve across directly in front of me. It did him no good as he got held up at the next lights anyway.:rolleyes:

The rest of the ride was much better though with sunshine and just warm enough that I braved short sleeves for the first ride this year. The route was a loop anti-clockwise around the north of Shrewsbury, as Gav has already described, and gave enough quiet lanes for us to be able to chat.

Near Merrington the wind got a bit colder than early on so a fleece was wanted. It seems that the road here and through Old Woods is new territory for Gav - Having been to nearby Yeaton with Gav previously I wasn't sure if we'd been that way as well.

Getting back into town it was nice that the roads weren't very busy and the detour through Nobold made for a change as it's prettier than the Reabrook estate. We'll have to enjoy this while it lasts as the area is all due to be built up over the next few years.

34.8 miles by the time I got home at 11.9 mph average.

Spring lambs on Haughmond Hill.

Catching up with Gav at the top of the same climb.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
My winter re-build on Pasty #1 The Carbon Suffolk Hill-Climber progressed towards near-completion today with the arrival of a new light-weight 'gold' chain. Given that my wife returned home from the hospital just as I finished installing it with the great news that the scare of a return of a serious illness was just that - a scare - I decided to celebrate with a stress-relieving 6 mile ride. After I'd got the indexing locked in, I went as hard as I could, for as long as I could. Kept up with some traffic that was probably doing in excess of 30mph. (Tailwind helped!)
Stress dissipated! ^_^
And the first sign of warmer weather - my legs were out! :whistle:

photo (10).JPG

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Out into the headwind on today's Monday ride- followed NCR10 for 19 miles and had the best tailwind assisted ride home yet in the Spring sunshine.

Just looked on Cyclemeter and I've managed 16mph average for the first time this year so feeling very proud, and that brings me to 1523 miles since the first lockdown on 23.3.20 when I was 14st10lbs... aiming to keep up the regime to get below 12 stone by the end of April- five pounds to go- haven't been that weight since I was 18!

Attachments

• 34A97944-17E8-4A15-A73C-C384D50DD478.jpeg
    34A97944-17E8-4A15-A73C-C384D50DD478.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 95ECAD07-02B0-49CC-B7BB-4E5BB58B14EF.jpeg
    95ECAD07-02B0-49CC-B7BB-4E5BB58B14EF.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 2

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
...aiming to keep up the regime to get below 12 stone by the end of April- five pounds to go- haven't been that weight since I was 18!
That's excellent. Can I ask how tall you are?

I am working my way down the weight scale too, but I've got another 2 stones to lose to reach my target weight which puts me in the centre of the BMI healthy bracket for my age and height. Slowly but surely...

Mike_P

Guru
A week off work (at home) and Monday :sun: Slightly fooled as I headed with bib 3/4s and a long sleeve jersey and quickly returned home for a top baselayer as the westerly wind was :cold: The Defys mudguards had been fixed, with the use of some threadlock, and to play safe a bag of spare fittings put in the saddlebag. North to Ripley again, this time I got well caught by a set of TTLs that to date I have good luck with. Then continued along the A61 puzzling what the 100m separated chalked markings were on the carriageway for at least 3.1km – an increasing count of the distance prefixed by CH :huh: Turned east through Bishop Monkton

with a couple of PRs either side of the village probably due to the wind and along a lower elevation routing of NCN688 “Way of the Roses” with flood depth indicator markings alongside the road. Reaching Roecliffe a bench was purloined for a protein bar snack and sportscam battery change.

On leaving a noticeable rattle arose and just as I was tackling a climb I realised I had not refitted the rubber plug on the sportcam mount. My thoughts of "I’ll sort it out at top" were overridden by the sportcam once again hitting the tarmac so I stopped, right foot on the ground and then found myself lying on the road on my left side; possibly a strange camber on the road but whatever CoG went the wrong way. Bike unharmed but my left leg grazed on the only bit that was exposed.
Under the A1(M) and south on the A168 with another PR but this time plainly not wind assisted to then turn west to battle into it over the A1(M) to Arkendale

and Ferrensby where the overgrown surroundings of the duck pond had been tided up and a further snack of a Nakd bar. Pondered whether to follow the relatively narrow twisty A6055 from there to Knaresborough but a number of very large HGVs trundled along it so instead towards Farnham and then south to Knaresborough which resulted in an immediate jump in speed with the headwind now a crosswind that was greatly buffeted by roadside shrubbery.
On the climb away from Knaresborough the "do I use the carriageway or the even steeper cycleway" question was resolved by the latter being occupied by dog walkers.
Bilton Lane encouragingly featured at least three signs warning of ice – the bridleway section was relatively windless unlike the subsequent suburban section. 29.36 miles, 1457ft climbed, 13.7 mph avg.

Last edited:
Mix of road and tracks this afternoon, 16 miles. Not sure the NW had its fair sunshine quota today, but fine riding weather all the same. Pic is somewhere near the Airbus complex in Broughton, but the other side of the River Dee.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Late start today so an easy flat route seemed a good idea. So off around the usual White Rabbit run with newly arrived Chiffchaffs making themselves known. At Strensham I headed straight on for Defford to take in the little loop at Besford. Then across at Deerfold Wood to turn for Stonehall Common and the run back over the River at Upton. Fairly brisk one today. 47 smiles

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
That's excellent. Can I ask how tall you are?

I am working my way down the weight scale too, but I've got another 2 stones to lose to reach my target weight which puts me in the centre of the BMI healthy bracket for my age and height. Slowly but surely...
I'm 5'11", I think I should be 11st 8 for a BMI of 22... currently 24.3 but finding it more difficult now. Daily 10000 steps and bike rides twice a week really helps- I've averaged 12000 steps a day including the bike rides since last March- the lighter nights help.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I'm 5'11", I think I should be 11st 8 for a BMI of 22... currently 24.3 but finding it more difficult now. Daily 10000 steps and bike rides twice a week really helps- I've averaged 12000 steps a day including the bike rides since last March- the lighter nights help.
I'm 5' 11" too and aiming for the same weight (although I'd like to get to 11st exactly). I'm currently 13 st. Lots of bike rides (IRL and Zwift), runs and walks happening plus I count every calorie of what I eat. I've not done bad though - 5 years ago I was 21 stones!

Good luck and keep at it!

AndreaJ

Veteran
Not as sunny as yesterday but still almost warm so one less layer after being too hot yesterday. The usual wait for the school traffic to clear and set off to Horton, down to Loppington taking the long way round to Nonely, Myddle up the hill then turning down Lower Road to Merrington and Old Woods. The lane into Old Woods is down hill but had to stop while the bin lorry and a tractor squeezed past each other, turned off to Eyton, into Baschurch past the schools and onto Stanwardine, Bagley, Lee and into Ellesmere. Round the one way street and up Swan Hill catching up with another bin lorry. Stayed behind the lorry as there’s only a couple of houses up here and I didn’t want it behind me trying to get past. Unfortunately it met a lorry coming the opposite way, with no room for them to pass the poor lorry driver had to reverse almost a mile down a narrow, twisty country lane, this was all going surprisingly well until a van appeared behind the lorry and also had to reverse! Eventually they got to a junction and everyone got sorted and I carried on down Stocks Lane to Welshampton. Even the mud here has dried up at last. Took the turning by the church to Lyneal, Northwood and home. 36 miles and the first ride in months when I haven’t been through any floods.

Top Bottom