Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davelincs

Wednesdays ride, out a bit later due to a works online team meeting, what a waste of time

davelincs

Thursdays ride, one of the many bosses I have was going to call me at 1:00 o’clock so i had a shorter ride , I’m still waiting for him to ring ,
I could have stayed out longer

I will not tell you what I have been calling him😀

Old jon

Guru
A half bright start to the day, sunshine and blue sky at one side of the house, the windows looking the other way were grey. A bit of saddle maintenance first, the Brooks on the Jacko had a bit of slack in the leather so for the second time in the six years of its life I screwed the tension up by half a turn. Took me longer to find the spanner than do the job.

Away at last for a mooch around Holbeck to the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, well the towpath that is. And I have forgotten the name of the lock after Office Lock. Another cyclist was pushing a bike up the rise there, I was told ‘A flat!’, and when I asked if we should fix it, ‘Ah, I’m nearly there now.’ On I pedalled. Viaduct Road, then up to Headingley, more up to Lawnswood and the right turn to pass Adel church and then across the dam.

Up the eastern side of Golden Acre Park and for a change do not descend Kings Road, carry straight on and judder and shudder down Black Hill Road instead. Not the most fun part of the ride today, and it will not be part of a ride for some time to come, I think. At the bottom, turn left onto the A659 and ride through the long drawn out village that is Arthington.

Pool next, and Main Street is still no through road, so resorted to pavement again. Cross the Wharfe here ‘cos I wanted to ride up to Farnley. And enjoy that whizzy drop into Otley for a banana break in the riverside park. Leeds Road again for my escape, might just try the old Chevin later in the year. I had intended to turn right in Bramhope, but forgot. But there is another right turn further on, and I remembered. A left at the crossroads onto Breary Lane. This has a few name changes on the way to Cookridge and its tower. And, almost anywhere in Leeds is downhill from here.

Which reminded me, I haven’t ridden the fixed since New Year’s Day. Must do better. For today though, down to Headingley and then Kirkstall. Use the road into town centre for a change, and after a bit through Hunslet, there is home. Thirty three miles yet again, 1972 feet of ascent and a smile for a most enjoyable morning.

Still happily amazed at this stuff,

25032021.jpg

2503elev.jpg

. A bit of saddle maintenance first, the Brooks on the Jacko had a bit of slack in the leather so for the second time in the six years of its life I screwed the tension up by half a turn. Took me longer to find the spanner than do the job.

I use my Brooks spanner as a keyring, rather like some people use a bottle opener: partly so I always know where it is, and also in the misguided belief it makes me seem interesting and different.

Last edited:

ianbarton

Veteran
Went one better than this one. Went out for a ride Tuesday night, after about 20 miles, middle on nowhere, pitch black at about 7.30PM came off hard and managed to land on my left side. Soon realised something was seriously wrong when I tried to get up and my left forearm stayed on the ground. Had to phone a neighbour and an ambulance. Long story short, I've shattered my left elbow and have had to have it reconstructed in a 5 hour operation. Back home now but been advised I'll be out of action for minimum 6 weeks (and it bloody hurts). Haven't even looked at the bike yet :sad:
Ouch! I hope the pain eases off and you can get back on the bike in due course.

ianbarton

Veteran
Yesterday's ride.
The weather forecast for the rest of the week isn't too good, so I decided to go out on the bike, despite my right knee clicking and in some pain.

I set off for Wrenbury, not having decided on my exact route to Whitchurch. It was a sunny day with a slight breeze. After the usual bone rattling ride via Rookery Lane potholes I ended up at the cross roads over the A49 at Aston. Cycling through Wrenbury I turned left after crossing the canal and began the slightly uphill ride to Norbury Common. Turning left I made my way over the canal towards Marbury. I had thought about cycling through the village and making my way via Mile Bank road to Whitchurch.

At the last moment, I decided to climb up the steep hill towards Wirswall. It had been a while since I had climbed the steep hill to the picnic bench and I wondered if I was up to the ascent, which has a short section of 12% shortly before reaching the picnic table. My knee was feeling OK as I began the climb. There is a short steep section around 5% as you pass the farm buildings and then some shorter sections of 8% with a final section of about 12% just before the final left-hand bend where it eases off to the picnic bench.

I stopped by the picnic bench and took a couple of photos of the views over the Cheshire plain. A final much easier uphill section is followed by the descent past the gold course into Whitchurch. I stopped at Sainsbury's to get some snacks before setting off through Whitchurch to Edgely. A few more ups and downs to Ash and then another gentle descent towards Ightfield, where I turned off towards Millenheath. Meandering through Willaston I reached the final descent towards the lake at Tittenley. From the lake, it's about a three-mile of gentle ascent back home.

48km and 400 metres of ascent.

vlcsnap-2021-03-25-15h13m12s522.png

Canal bridge at Wrenbury.
vlcsnap-2021-03-25-15h21m15s568.png

A bit of a close squeeze.

24-03-21-A-bike-ride-in-Dodcott-cum-Wilkesley-England.png

Mike_P

Guru
Choices – overcast with a south-westerly, or sunnier with a stronger south-westerly. Opted for the former with a Gillet topped kit and set off on a route to avoid both road works and traffic avoiding road works; initially the reverse of the last few days final section and hence a warm up with the Humps and a Hill climb. Variance came with crossing the Stray on Beech Grove;

The area to the left being the site of TdF and UCI fan parks and the road has been recently closed to through traffic to the annoyance of some who took to driving off road around the planters until a strategically placed road sign appeared. A zig zag across the Otley Road took me back to 1972.

A way through suburbia not to Wahoos liking but the outcome was the same and down to Pannal where attention to the road surface seems long overdue. Up Drury Lane and another, albeit brief battle, with a headwind on the A658. Headed to Kirkby Overblow buffeted by a cross wind which was diminished beyond the village, to the extant of a surprising PR, by the roadside hedges.

The road turning north-eastwards saw a wind assisted PR on the horse manured climb towards Sicklinghall where a snack break was taken. Then along the track of Stockeld Lane with a couple of gates to wheel the bike pass, an unmade section, and patches of freshly laid loose gravel to avoid.

More problematic were two walkers in deep conversation who were oblivious to ringing of the bell but I did think they had reacted to an excuse me; seemingly not from gasp as I cycled pass them. Onto the A661 into Spofforth and then through Follifoot, with a vision back to 1967

A lengthy doze followed awaiting a gap in traffic following a tractor on the A658 for a further short use of that A road. Along Rudding Lane and down its decent the traffic lights on the bridge at the bottom were on green and they stayed green; a new PR on the climb away. Rejoined the A661 and then Tuesdays route along Oatlands Drive. Further on my road works avoidance came unstuck as a workman stood in the road with a Stop sign while a mechanised vehicle tended to a freshly removed section of road surface. Bike wheeled pass. 22.89 miles 1716ft climbed.

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
I use my Brooks spanner as a keyring, rather like some people use a bottle opener.

Not sure if that is allowed. But anyway, I have four of the things and maybe I should follow your lead on that, I can rarely find any of them.

footloose crow

Über Member
25 March. There were no pirates in Penzance

A brisk south westerly wind. But also sunshine. Ying and yang. I wanted one but not the other, but choices have to be made and heading south west into the wind for the first half of the ride seemed appropriately masochistic with the prospect of a fair wind home. Unless something changes....I am never too optimistic about wind.

Spring has arrived in Cornwall. It is a blustery wind but warm, blown here from the Tropics and full of Caribbean promise. The green is especially green in the trees and hedgerows, the daffodils already fading but they are being replaced by primroses, ox eye daisies and small purple flowers I couldn't identify and didn't stop to look. There is a hint of wild garlic in the air. The sky is blue, the sea in the distance even bluer. All is well in my world, spinning happily apart from the blows to the chest from the gusty blasts where the hedges drop in height, that make me wobble and lurch across the road.

Engine houses, a hidden valley running down to the sea....Ross Poldark will appear any moment now.

There is a steep ascent from Portreath that some of you may have done. It is quite Alpine...insofar as it has a hairpin, unrelenting upness for 300 feet and a steep drop on one side. OK its not Alpine - just a hill, but I can dream. Major hill done, it is now just a battle along the north coast road to Gwithian, sea on my right, Cornwall on my left and wind right in my face.

Looking northwards towards St Agnes, Perranporth beyond the headland. And lots of signs suggesting you might want to call The Samaritans.

Downhill to Gwithian beach, past the VW surf vans parked along the road, a quick glance across to Virginia Woolf's lighthouse (I haven't read the book either) and blast through Hayle. Marazion arrives with the iconic St Michael's Mount silhouetted against a glimmering sea and now turn right onto the coastal cycle way to Penzance.

It was all going so well.

The coastal cycle path is being upgraded and sections are closed. The only choice is over the footbridge and along the busy main road into town. My pace slows. They started this job in October and look as if it won't be finished before the summer.

The new path looks lovely....but you can't use it.

They have done a mile so far in six months, with three miles to go....apparently it is a more complex job than it looks.

Lunch (jam sandwich from home) in Penzance sitting on the harbour wall, watching the fishing boats come in surrounded by gulls. Then time to head back, more hilly but wind behind me. What could go wrong?

All went well on the way back until I hit some path closed signs that were not there earlier. No problem. Drop onto the beach, churn through the soft sand being careful to keep it away from the discs and pick up the path 50 yards further on.....no, completely wrong.

The path now has Harris fencing on it, stretching into the distance. No access. I continue along the beach, bike on my shoulder, cleats jammed with small stones, the light overshoes gradually tearing themselves open, looking for a gap to rejoin the path. A mile of beach walking. Lovely views though. No one even looked twice at a lycra clad cyclist carrying a bike along the beach. Maybe it happens a lot?

The firmest sand was next to the sea...just had to watch for bigger waves.

The return journey after that was almost uneventful and the wind did indeed push me along.

All was good until part way up a particularly steep hill I could feel my right overshoe gripping my foot with increasing pressure. Then the pedal fell off. I don't know how it happened. The frayed lycra overshoe had wrapped itself around the spindle, which accounted for the pressure as it wound itself around tearing more and more fabric off the overshoe; but how did that unscrew the pedal?

Pedal re attached, overshoe fragments stuffed in my pocket, the journey thereafter was fine. Just a lot of hills which gets tedious after a while but the sun was warm and I wasn't in a hurry. And the wind helped too.

Arriving home at the same time as my wife, she stepped out of the car and stared at me intently. I thought it was love, or at least affection.

"Tell me you haven't been out all day with just one overshoe on?".

I explain over a cup of tea. She examines the fragments of the over shoe and offers to sew them back together. I don't hold out much hope. She tells me the mechanic who put the pedals on must have been incompetent. I don't tell her she is married to that mechanic.

Screenshot 2021-03-25 at 19-1.18.11.png

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Got my Metric Century-a-Month Challenge ride in for March today, with a 63 miler across the Severn with @jembullo. One of those days when as soon as you take your rain jacket off it starts raining again. Jem cycled over from Whiteshill and turned up at my place with Swiss Railways timing, and we set off around the Gloucester Western Bypass and on out to Hartpury, from where we headed North to Tewkesbury. After coffee and cakes from Costa we hit the road again, heading west via Forthampton and Staunton.

We got a bit of a drenching as we crossed into Worcestershire. In this next shot I like the brooding Malvern Hills and the wet road:

We called in at a couple of curiosities that I have reported on recently .... Hartpury bee shelter and the house with the miniature railway line in the garden. After Highleadon and Tibberton, we hit part of the Newent Daffodil trail on the road to Taynton and Huntley:

The daffs are really looking good now, and go on for miles:

The return journey to Gloucester was not particularly pleasant, due to a number of extremely close passes. Thought I'd throw in a gratuitous bike shot from our final rest stop at a petrol station in Huntley:

We got off the main road as soon as we possibly could, moving onto the tow path of the Gloucester & Sharpness Canal and passing my house as I accompanied Jem for part of his way home and kept one eye on my distance total. We parted company at the waterfront at Epney, where I was happy to accept a stiff following breeze for my last 6 miles. Just before I got home, I did my good deed for the day. A chap from Dursley (a good 15+ miles away) had his bike upside down on the pavement, and it turned out he had twice punctured and run out of replacement tubes. I let him have my spare, and refused payment, asking him to pay it forward. Arrived home on 63 miles (101.3km), ran myself a hot bath and promptly fell asleep for a couple of hours.

Job done. Jem is always good company and this was an enjoyable ride despite the variable weather.
Cheers, Donger.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Went one better than this one. Went out for a ride Tuesday night, after about 20 miles, middle on nowhere, pitch black at about 7.30PM came off hard and managed to land on my left side. Soon realised something was seriously wrong when I tried to get up and my left forearm stayed on the ground. Had to phone a neighbour and an ambulance. Long story short, I've shattered my left elbow and have had to have it reconstructed in a 5 hour operation. Back home now but been advised I'll be out of action for minimum 6 weeks (and it bloody hurts). Haven't even looked at the bike yet :sad:
Thanks for all of your messages of support. First follow up confirms op went well, already out of the cast but very little movement to date. Probably little change till my next appointment with the physio mid April. At this rate I'll be happy if I can get on the bike before summer's out. Bike seems fine apart from a few slight scuff marks, I took most of the impact unfortunately.

jembullo

Got my Metric Century-a-Month Challenge ride in for March today, with a 63 miler across the Severn with @jembullo. One of those days when as soon as you take your rain jacket off it starts raining again. Jem cycled over from Whiteshill and turned up at my place with Swiss Railways timing, and we set off around the Gloucester Western Bypass and on out to Hartpury, from where we headed North to Tewkesbury. After coffee and cakes from Costa we hit the road again, heading west via Forthampton and Staunton.
View attachment 580551
We got a bit of a drenching as we crossed into Worcestershire. In this next shot I like the brooding Malvern Hills and the wet road:
View attachment 580552
We called in at a couple of curiosities that I have reported on recently .... Hartpury bee shelter and the house with the miniature railway line in the garden. After Highleadon and Tibberton, we hit part of the Newent Daffodil trail on the road to Taynton and Huntley:
View attachment 580553
The daffs are really looking good now, and go on for miles:
View attachment 580554
The return journey to Gloucester was not particularly pleasant, due to a number of extremely close passes. Thought I'd throw in a gratuitous bike shot from our final rest stop at a petrol station in Huntley:
View attachment 580555
We got off the main road as soon as we possibly could, moving onto the tow path of the Gloucester & Sharpness Canal and passing my house as I accompanied Jem for part of his way home and kept one eye on my distance total. We parted company at the waterfront at Epney, where I was happy to accept a stiff following breeze for my last 6 miles. Just before I got home, I did my good deed for the day. A chap from Dursley (a good 15+ miles away) had his bike upside down on the pavement, and it turned out he had twice punctured and run out of replacement tubes. I let him have my spare, and refused payment, asking him to pay it forward. Arrived home on 63 miles (101.3km), ran myself a hot bath and promptly fell asleep for a couple of hours.
View attachment 580556
Job done. Jem is always good company and this was an enjoyable ride despite the variable weather.
Cheers, Donger.
I'm still here Andy! Thanks for a great day out yesterday. The Saul road was indeed shut, so I had to head to Frampton and then home via Eastington but got a good 76 miles and 3000ft of climbing in by the end. We will have to do it again very soon.

ianbarton

Veteran
Thanks for all of your messages of support. First follow up confirms op went well, already out of the cast but very little movement to date. Probably little change till my next appointment with the physio mid April. At this rate I'll be happy if I can get on the bike before summer's out. Bike seems fine apart from a few slight scuff marks, I took most of the impact unfortunately.
In my experience orthopods generally give you a pessimistic view of recovery time, which I can understand. Hopefully, you will be able to ride by summer.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Soggy ride to the pharmacy and farm shop. The high winds meant a load of cones and barriers had blown across the cycle track, which was just as well because it stopped me discovering this at full speed:
deerfieldshole_s.jpg

No warning signs on the approach or by the ramp. At least 200mm drop onto the subsurface. Steep tarmac ramp, 45 degree or more. That could easily have a cyclist off, but a scooter user stands no chance and even a walker could go A over T on that.

What the fark were they thinking? Or were they even thinking? No workmen visible (probably all sheltering from the wind and rain) so reported to the council as urgent damage and a crash hazard. Grr!

Rest of the ride OK, apart from the swastika spraypainted on the road (also reported). The daffs are still looking good, the tulips are coming out and there's lots of blossom.

Top Bottom