Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Out on the mountain bike after lunch for a ride out to Temple Newsam woods. 30.65 miles and absolutely knackered!

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Bit of a brisk cold wind greeted me. A big black cloud looked ominous and into the lanes it began to dump. I found a sheltered spot and hid from it. Blue skies soon appeared. At Brand Green the wood anemones are in flower but not at their peak. At Ashleworth Ham I paused to scan the bird life there. A large flock of Black Tailed Godwits is unusual hereabouts. 6 newly arrived Swallows have made my summer now. The birds were startled when 3 Roe Deer galloped across. A pair of Oystercatchers were a long way from home. Nice to see some Curlew and Lapwing too. From being ubiquitous they are now getting difficult to find. On the last few miles I had hailstones and a rainbow. Rich B and Steve E greeted me at Hanley Swan. They were just finishing their walking outing. Nice to have a catch up. 47 smiles

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I headed out quite late on once all the Saturday chores were done, 3pm saw me saddle up and point the bike south. Up and down a very undulating but simple route with hardly any turns, ending up at the edge of Welwyn Garden City where it was a quick sit down, a drink, and then I pointed the bike North to get home for dinner and a beer. 22 miles total. I stopped briefly to talk to a younger man who was on the same heading, but riding a rather cool rat rod / chopper bike with just a 3 speed hub gear to tackle the hills in jeans and a natty sweater. Respect!
20210327_175008.jpg

20210327_174935.jpg

20210327_174757.jpg

20210327_155905.jpg

20210327_162551.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
First ride in about a month...what with self isolating, DIY, OA playing up really bad, theres been no desire.
But, a nice 12 miler, two red kite lazily mobbing a buzzard, male blackbirds scooting around chasing each other, lambs in fields, birdlife coming on song as the hedges start to bud...lovely to be out there.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
My first ride with @KingswayRider of the year today. If we hadn't agreed to meet up, it is quite possible that after one look out of the window neither of us would have bothered. My palm tree was doing semaphore. The drizzle stopped quite soon, but the wind didn't. At one point, while we were heading down the A38 just after Slimbridge, the headwind was so fierce on one incline that I had to slip it into the middle ring and stamp on the pedals with everything I had .... merely to chug along at 7mph.

How things changed when we got to Sharpness docks, where we hung a right at the first roundabout and immediately both accelerated away without turning a pedal. Some great quiet lanes on the way home were made even better by a friendly following wind. Got home at lunch time via Slimbridge, Frocester, Leonard Stanley and Stonehouse. When we got back to my place, @KingswayRider gave me a couple of tips as to how to tweak my front mech before heading home.

In the end, that turned out to be a great ride today. 45 miles in all. Well and truly back in the groove. Glad we went out.
Cheers, Donger.

ianbarton

Veteran
Wem Cycle Ride via Faulds. A variation on my usual Wem loop. I cycled into Moreton Say and turned right at Longford heading to the A41. Crossing the A41 I joined the cycle path which follows the Hodnet bypass, a fast road you definitely wouldn't want to cycle on! At the end of the cycle path, I turned right towards Faulds. It's a steady climb, with good views over the Shropshire countryside.

From Faulds the road drops gradually to Darliston where I joined the B5065 which is my normal approach to Wem. There was a steady headwind all the way into Wem, that was quite energy sapping. I stopped at the Coop to buy food for lunch before continuing out of Wem towards Whixall. The wind was now behind me and I was soon in Whixall. There is a short section along the B road between Wem and Whitchurch before turning right towards Prees. Crossing the railway line at the outskirts of Prees. I paused for a while before tackling the short 20%. hill up to the church. I pushed the bike through the Church gates and slumped onto the wooden bench under the Yew tree.

I hadn't eaten or drunk since breakfast four or five hours ago and my body was demanding fluid and food after cycling 45km. After munching through a sandwich, a couple of mini pork pies and drinking a flask full of hot chocolate I felt a lot better. From the church there is a downhill section leading to the A49. Crossing the A49 the lane rises gently to Ightfield, where another welcome long downhill section leading to Lodmore Lane joins Wilkesley Lane and the final few kilometres to home.

58km and 355 metres of ascent.

27-03-21-A-bike-ride-in-Dodcott-cum-Wilkesley-England.png

vlcsnap-2021-03-28-16h31m03s326.png

Cycle trailer on the road out of Wem.

vlcsnap-2021-03-28-16h15m11s702.png

Cycle path alongside the Hodnet bypass.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2021-03-28-16h22m14s397.png
    vlcsnap-2021-03-28-16h22m14s397.png
    327.3 KB · Views: 1

bluenotebob

Veteran
Sunday is a good day for cycling in France with most trucks banned from the roads. Sunday lunchtime is even better – there’s hardly anyone about and the roads are very quiet. It was another gusty March day when I left the village – but at least it was a bit warmer than earlier this month. I changed my mind several times before settling on a route that would give me 7km with the wind behind me before I turned straight into it and headed S. Through a deserted Mauron and onto the Voie Verte .. a few dog walkers and a couple of cyclists but it was mostly empty so very easy cycling ..the Voie Verte follows the route of an old railway line and is partly tree-lined so I had some shelter from the wind. I reached the church in Loyat with 28km done and it was time to turn N again and let the wind blow me home. Out through Kerbois, then a little dink up to St Vily. I stopped for a drink and a few photos just W of St Vily, then round through la Ville Hein and la Cadois and back onto the D13 and up to Guilliers. Up through Evriguet and off to Kerminy and home via St-Brieuc-de-Mauron.

53km this afternoon which takes me to 916km cycled in March (and still 3 days to go..). That’s easily my best March on a bike .. and it’s probably a reflection of the number of dry days that we’ve had this month and how much time I’ve devoted to getting out at every available opportunity, rather than improved fitness. It can’t be that anyway as every year I get slower…

The deserted centre of Mauron at Sunday lunchtime .. everyone eating too much, or sleeping because they’ve eaten too much..

Taupont church from about 10km to the north

Passing beneath the mobile phone antenna at Kerminy – nearly home (about 7km to go from here)

AndreaJ

Veteran
It was a lovely sunny day yesterday but for what seemed like a good idea then I had decided to go out on my bike today instead. I had a choice between a morning ride in the rain and wind or wait until the afternoon when it would be dry but very windy. I chose the rain with less wind. I set off to Whixall and down Hollins Lane over the swing bridge before turning back onto the towpath, over the foot bridge a bit further along the towpath to Roving Bridge to rejoin the lane in Whixall. Turned at Hollinswood over another bridge to Fenns Bank and the last swing bridge to Alkington. Turned into the wind to Lower Houses, Coton, Edstaston, Ryebank through to Horton and onto the Ellesmere Road. Back into the wind making slow progress to Loppington as far as the duck pond. Carried on to Lyneal, through the woods to Pikes End, Colemere, past the sailing club, vineyard and car park which looked quieter than usual back to Lyneal, Northwood and home. Not many people out today although I did pass one little girl on her pony accompanied by her mum on a bike twice. 27 miles and it did stop raining so did see the occasional bit of sun. I still don’t like the wind though!

Went for a 55 mile ride yesterday with mostly 20mph crosswinds all the way. Still a lot of other cyclists out looking to be in the main the more experienced type due ot the winds. I was following a ride with GPs route that wasnt supposed to be any off road on. Well the dam think took me down a unpaved track full of pot holes and loose gravel, I looked a little odd among the mtbers on my skinny tyred road bike, a group of 2 voiced their concern that I should not be there, my reply was fat tyres were overated so I put bit of a surge on to press the point home. Got a 5th overall on 1.9 mile section and a 10th on a 0.33 mile section !. I have a MTB race next month maybe I should try it on the road bike.
The other slightly amusing incident was I was closing down a group of 4 who were happily chatting, I was turning off in 0.5 miles so wondered if I should just slow down or speed up to overtake. I went with overtake just as a car hove into view. So I gave it beans to get past. Immediately the first 2 riders sprinted to try and catch my back wheel I kept the pressure on and made my turn off with the 2 just catching me, hoping they would not follow. As I made the turn I heard the words "come back and fight".
Towards the end of the ride I was hitting full on headwinds and felt really knackered despite scoffing around 1,000 calories of fuel. I was down to 10-12mph on some flat sections. My Garmin told me off at the end and instructed me to take 3 days off.

Old jon

Guru
A bit of a gloomy morning, and a fair old breeze as well. But it is a while since I turned a wheel, must get out and ride. Took the Spa out of the shed and pointed it in the direction of away.

Or Holbeck, in this particular case. I had not thought at all about where to go, on Water Lane I decided Shadwell was the next target. So up to the Oakwood Clock, pass the spare park gates and a bit more up on the A58 to cross the Ring Road. Discovered I had forgotten my water bottle, so called into a petrol station for some stuff to drink. Not petrol. Though that would have been cheaper. Onwards, turn onto Whin Moor Lane and turn right pretty soon after that. This leads to a junction half way down Shadwell Main Street. Turn right and at the bottom turn left. This is Bay Horse Lane.

Stay on this, it veers to the right off Brandon Lane, crosses Ling Lane and then changes to Blackmoor Lane at the next crossroads.. Squiggles about a bit, into Bardsey on Church Lane and after passing the Bingley Arms turn left. This goes up past the village hall, then the primary school. And then a mistake. I turned right instead of left. Steep climb to the traffic lights on the A58, then left turn to Collingham.

Through the village and turn right onto a bit of A659, also called Wattle Syke. Which leads to a couple of roundabouts, sharing the name. And crossing above the A1M. Not quite as busy as it may sound. Boston Spa next, a short stretch of Main Street has been resurfaced since my last visit, wonder when the next will happen? Resurfacing, that is. Turn right onto Clifford Road to go just there . . .

A small place, it sticks in my mind it had two pubs in 1968, the Star still has the sign hanging, and an advert for a manager. Down the hill into Bramham, ride elliptically then turn for Thorner. And take the next right, eventually Holme Farm Lane to Milner Lane and the worst of the wind for the whole ride. Not very bad at all, almost vanished after the drop into Thorner.

It’s always up to leave Thorner, Carr Lane will be used a lot in months to come so ride Sandhills again. Which leaves Red Hall Lane back to the A58, heading back to Leeds and the couple of miles to home after crossing the river. A smile, ‘cos even after a totally unplanned ride door to door distance was thirty three miles yet again. My subconscious might be working hard, but never mind.. Totally enjoyable ride, just over two thousand feet of uphill and wasn’t the weather great?

Doodles

29032021.jpg

2903elev.jpg

Top Bottom