Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've come to understand that bicycles have alwats been a big thing in Yorkshire nd surrounding counties, hugely more so than here in Devon. On the whole, because it's flatter, I think!

davelincs

Today’s ride , a good frost this morning, but the sun came out

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
First club ride of the year today! Six of us set out towards the Malvern Hills, turning back somewhere near Pendock in Worcestershire and returning via Corse Lawn, Tirley and Wainlodes Hill. I let the side down by getting off and walking the latter, as I lost control of my breathing and started to palpitate. I was fine as soon as we set off again, though. Met a few idiot drivers on the last leg (from the moment we got near Gloucester) but thoroughly enjoyed the ride anyway. 46 miles in great company and superb sunny weather. Loved it.
Cheers, Donger.

13 rider

Guru
Not posted much as most of my recent rides have been rather mundane and often repeated but today's was a bit different as I would have company for the first time this year . I had arranged to meet @tallliman at 10 in Cossington . Out the door at 0930 took the direct route was there slightly early but @tallliman was waited so after a catch up were on our way up the Wreake valley. Ratcliffe ,Thrussington ,Hoby ,Asfordby and up the climb of Saxelby hill through Warnaby into the first blast of headwind finally turned off down lawn Lane to Willoughby on the Wolds through Wysall to East Leake were we found the preposed cafe stop was closed which wasn't a great shock so we pushed onto Gotham ( yes home of Batman ) where we had a picnic ( the chocolate bar ) on a nice bench . Long drag into the headwind to Kingston on Soar ,Sutton Bonnington ,Normanton and the last big climb out of the village onto Cotes were we parted company @tallliman headed home to comp!ete an imperial half century leaving to head home via Barrow ,Mountsorrel and Cropston ,home with 53 miles in the bag . Was getting warm by the time I got home as the sun was warming and I was still dress for morning chilly conditions a lovely ride chatting away now can't wait for a proper cafe stop but we're getting there

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Yes you upset the locals saying Gotham as in batman
I've only ever passed that way half a dozen times ..... but I've yet to drive through Gotham without seeing that someone has added "City" to the sign at the edge of town.

Ah, the perfect symmetry of Chester train station! If I ever save up enough money to donate to the 'Put the bleedin' clock in the middle' fund .....

..... enough griping already, corking Easter day for a 22 miler ^_^.
Bit gusty at times, wobbled a bit in the cross winds but all good. Quick stop down the Greenway.

Loop out into Wales, as is the norm, before a much swifter ride back. Motored it back on the eastward Dee path at 20mph+.

Grosvenor bridge. Not the first pic of this I have posted, but I think it rates highly on the bridge-ometer :okay:.
Hope everyone enjoyed their rides today and happy Easter :sun:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Decided to go car assisted tandem for some new scenery, and the ride in homage to today's Tour of Flanders:

Ronde Van Whitkirchen!

Started in Audlem, then headed North of Whitkirchen through Aston, Wrenbury and Norbury. Happened upon the church at Bickley perfectly for lunch in the sunshine, buzzards sparring overhead.

Next into the wilds of Wales briefly, including a visit to the idyllic whitewashed brick Church of St Mary Whitewell, set amidst mighty oak and yew trees and upon a bed of daffodils, brook babbling alongside.

Thence back to Audlem, finishing down the towpath alongside the flight of locks of the Shropshire Union canal.

A near perfect spring day en tandem, 40 smiles. Could only be improved by the Shroppie Fly being open for a pint at the end!

bagpuss

Guru
Todays ride was totally deja vu for the first two thirds of my ride . As per my route of Wednesday last ,even had my lunch on the same wall .
Some pictures of interest along the way .
At the the top of Marston bank a fine veiw of the Weaver hills is to be enjoyed .

The Weavers are right at southern end of the Pennines . In a month or so I hope make my first foray of the year over them .
I was able to get some pictures of NT Norbury Hall and Manor house as I past today

Norbury Hall is a NT holiday let which takes a group of 10 in normal times . Plently of info on the NT webb site .
Another point of interest on my ride is the Ashbourne Shrove tide goal at Clifton .

The goal . For anyone interest in this annual English past time here is a link.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Shrovetide_Football .

i continued through Ashbourne & to the hole in the wall at Moor end .

Finally returning to Derby via Bradey, Mercaston, & Kedleston . Again time well spent a wheel under clear blue skies .
I hope you have all enjoyed your day what ever you have being doing .

Last edited:
Top Bottom