Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dwn

Nice and sunny here today, so crossed the Clyde via the Renfrew Ferry. Noticeable that a lot of people finishing early this afternoon, so surprisingly heavy traffic. Had planned to do 30 miles but pretty windy so gave up about halfway. Better conditions tomorrow

Attachments

• F899C1D9-13EB-46B0-857E-F5BE5A7C3DB1.jpeg
    F899C1D9-13EB-46B0-857E-F5BE5A7C3DB1.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 2

KingswayRider

Über Member
Thought I was going to miss out on a ride in this glorious weather as Mrs D was talking about a trip to the garden centre today .... so I got up earlier than usual and went for a FOMO ride. Off out on the road at 08:59. Never let it be said I am not a morning person. As I arrived at the waterfront at Epney, it was clear from the number of little groups of people on the river bank and the line of parked cars and day vans that a bore was due. After checking with one of the waiting spectators, I found I had 10 minutes to spare, so I carried on to the quieter viewing point at the church at Framilode. On arrival, it was clear that others had driven there too to watch the spectacle:
View attachment 581396
Severn Bores are classified under a 5 star rating system, (5* being pretty much a tsunami and 1* being a slight swell followed by the river going the wrong way) and 2021 is due to be a very poor year, with nothing bigger than today's 3 star bore. It wasn't a particularly impressive one, but any bore attracting a dozen or more surfers, a speed boat and a helicopter is something of an event. This dog, however, was clearly not impressed:
View attachment 581397
This was my best chance of the year to chase the bore, so I remounted and hot-tailed it back upstream (which was now downstream) to Epney to watch the surfers who I had seen waiting there for a chance to ride the wave:
View attachment 581398
Only 6 of the dozen or so surfers managed to get on this one. The rest had a disappointingly short experience.
View attachment 581399
View attachment 581400
After the fun died down, I remounted and carried on downstream (which was now upstream) and looped around Saul and Fretherne, before returning to Epney and stopping to watch the ever-rising rush of water and remembering to include a bike shot!
View attachment 581402
Had a great view of a heron flying overhead before I got home, adding another 22 miles to my total. I fell quite a long way below my 250 mile distance targets in January and February, so it was nice to bring up the 300 mile mark in March and start to get back on track. Not bad, these morning rides.
Cheers, Donger.
@Donger - Morning? I'll expect to have 30-35 miles in by that time come the summer months (pre club ride miles).
Your bike makes that wall look low...which it definitely isn't.

bluenotebob

Veteran
It was 25 degrees here this afternoon and I wanted to enjoy it before the weather changes this weekend. The new lockdown also starts on Saturday night – I’ll be limited to no more than 10km from home – so I was determined to enjoy the sunshine today and the freedom to go wherever I wanted.

A short loop out to Plaisance then back onto the D2 and W with the wind pushing me along to Ville Geffray then up to Kerminy. Towards Brignac then off via Ville ès Moreux to la Corbinais. Up the steep hill into Ménéac then the long descent E on the D305 to la Cotinaie. Home via Brignac and St-Brieuc-de-Mauron.

36 sunny and warm kilometres in a couple of hours.

The road to Brignac

A couple of small goats in la Corbinais

My bike in front of a fountain

Ménéac church

Mike_P

Guru
Nothing special today just a 20 mile there and back trip to the coast.
What baffles me is how, on a ride like that, I seemed to have a battle with the strong winds for about 80% of it. :wacko:
Just coincidentally read an article on roadbikerider.com
" Quartering headwinds are almost as bad {as headwinds]. According to the late Ed Burke, Ph.D., wind tunnel studies show that any wind in the forward 200 degrees of an imaginary circle around a rider will impede speed. Only direct and quartering tailwinds in the trailing 160 degrees will feel helpful. That’s why on some days there seems to be a headwind no matter which way you turn."
https://www.roadbikerider.com/ultimate-guide-cycling-wind/

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
@Donger - Morning? I'll expect to have 30-35 miles in by that time come the summer months (pre club ride miles).
@KingswayRider .... You Yorkshiremen are all the same. "When I were a lad we 'ad to get up at 3 in t' morning and put in 50 miles before we were allowed to cycle to school. Tell that to the kids today and they won't believe you".

KingswayRider

Über Member
@KingswayRider .... You Yorkshiremen are all the same. "When I were a lad we 'ad to get up at 3 in t' morning and put in 50 miles before we were allowed to cycle to school. Tell that to the kids today and they won't believe you".
@Donger - No point wasting the day...

gavgav

Guru
A ride after working yesterday, where I made the most of lockdown easing, meeting both @Rickshaw Phil and his brother Doug, for a ride.

In the space of 48 hours I’d gone from summer cycling gear to winter gear, with a 13 degree C temperature swing and with a strong Easterly wind, it felt bitter again.

We set off through a nearby estate, then along the old railway path, through Reabrook and along the cycle paths to Heathgates, chatting as we went. We then meandered through Sundorne estate, which was busier than I’ve ever known it, with traffic, before getting onto the old canal path.

Back out into the roads at Uffington and a hard climb to Upton Magna, directly into the wind, where we paused at the entrance to the pub and the local village shop/cafe, which they are renovating and extending the outdoor seating area by the looks of it.

The second half of the ride was a little quicker, with the wind behind us, to Berwick Wharf, Atcham, where we crossed the old bridge and it was nice to see a young girl out practising on her bike with her mum, Cross Houses, Berrington and Betton Abbots.

We parted ways at the traffic lights, having thoroughly enjoyed being able to get out as a 3 again, with hopefully more of that to come and building up to some longer rides with Doug again.

16.15 miles, at a very leisurely 11.2mph avg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A few rides to report on:

Tuesday: About five miles in the morning to do some fence painting. I had thought was going to be an all day session but it turned out that the friend I was working with had other things he needed to do, so after lunch I swapped the knockabout bike for the Raleigh and headed out into the warm weather to get some more miles in. The route was just the regular Condover, Longnor, Acton Burnell, Harnage, Cross Houses, Condover one.

There was hardly any wind at home but heading out of the village I was straight into a brisk headwind that slowed progress quite noticably. Struggling into it on the way to Condover I got overtaken by a tractor and trailer with a cyclist riding along in the slipstream and making it look easy. :cursing: :tongue:

I'd hoped that on reaching Longnor the wind would help for a bit but today it was definitely blowing from an againsterly direction. I did get some speed up on the way to Frodesley and Acton Burnell but I can do better.

Through Cound Moor it was a pleasant ride with hardly any traffic. I paused for a photo at Harnage and rejoined the road just after a Freelander which proceeded to be driven very slowly on the wrong side of the road down into Cound. :scratch: The Yorkshire county flag was flying today.

I did get the wind behind me on the way up to the A458 and because of that decided to stay on the main road into Cross Houses this time as I was getting on well. The leg towards Condover wasn't too bad then I had a great tailwind to finish off with, where the cruising speed hardly dropped below 20 mph,:dance:

First ride of the season in shorts and t-shirt and there were about a couple of dozen other riders seen too which isn't bad going for a weekday.

24.2 miles at 14.7 average. My quickest ride of the year up to this point but I could possibly have just cracked 15 if not for the mile or so behind that Landrover.

A view from Harnage.

Still a splendid display of daffs at Cound.

Wednesday: With another nice day forecast I got out in the morning to make the most of it. I got the Galaxy out for its first trip of the year and decided to do something a bit longer this time. The route was: Condover, Upton Magna, Walcot, Eaton Constantine, Cressage, Acton Burnell, Longnor, Condover and home.

The wind was much lighter this time and the bike felt fabulous to ride so I made good progress to Condover (saw a white Ferrari here) then on towards Cross Houses and Atcham where it had warmed up enough to dispense with the fleece I'd started in. A JCB turned onto the Berwick Wharf road shortly before me and I decided to give chase and see if I could get close enough pick up the slipstream - I did manage to, but only moments before they slowed to turn off into Home Farm.:laugh:

The good run continued to Upton Magna (overtaking a couple of other cyclists on the way) and Withington. At Walcot the bridge is closed which was unexpected, however there is still pedestrian access otherwise I'd have had a fairly long detour. The undulating middle section of the ride begins here. I'd put a bit of effort into the early part of the trip and the legs were already a bit tired from the previous day so I took it fairly easy on the climbs and enjoyed the descents. I wasn't overly impressed by the bus driver who started an overtake on a corner descending into Eaton Constantine then thought better of it as the road narrowed.

The climb out of Cressage didn't seem too bad this time and I was quicker on the way to Cound Moor than expected. There had only been a handful of cyclists about on the trip so far but I started seeing more after reaching Acton Burnell. From Longnor my enthusiasm earlier in the ride started catching up with me - I ran out of water and was wishing I'd brought a snack along - so it was a more moderate pace back to Condover and the dash up to the A49 seemed fairly sedate compared to Tuesday. I got a good overtake from a lorry on the main road followed by a surprise on seeing that the load on the back was a spitfire. Not an everyday ocurrence.:laugh:

34.3 miles at 15.2 mph average. Pleased with that.

View of a hazy Wrekin from Berrington.

A pause on the old bridge at Atcham.

A sea of daffodils at the one end of the bridge.

The River Tern at Walcot.

Ah, so that's why the road is so quiet.

Thursday: April Fool's day and it seem like the weather is the one playing the joke. From t-shirt and shorts the last couple of days it was back to full winter layers, and I still felt cold while working in the morning.:cold:

Later in the day my brother and I met up with @gavgav as he has already reported up thread. As well as being about 11 degrees colder, there was also a brisk north easterly wind which slowed progress to the meeting point. We had a meandering tour out to Sundorne on busier roads than expected then left town and made our way into the wind to Upton Magna where we picked up the tailwind and had a good run to Atcham and Cross Houses. As Gav has mentioned it was good to see a budding cyclist out practising with what I would guess was a new bike.

It had been pretty overcast from the start of the ride so the sun breaking through the mirk later on was nice to see. I missed getting what would probably have been a good photo of Doug and Gav riding into the sunset just after Weeping Cross.

Doug did pretty well this trip but needed to take a breather on the last climb of the day after parting from Gav.

20.1 miles by the time I got back at 11.2 mph average.

Just the one snapshot from this trip; by the shop/cafe at The Haughmond, Upton Magna.

Dwn

Perfect weather in Glasgow; sunny, and no wind but mild temperatures. Wife and I due to go on two day trip in May, so we each took a loaded pannier as practice. Definitely slowed us down up the hills. 34 hilly miles though, so quite happy with that. Some lovely views over the Clyde but I always forget to take photos.

As a side note, today was the busiest I have seen the roads (with motor traffic) since lockdown one last year.

Attachments

• 5596D982-888C-4189-AF65-3257252025C7.jpeg
    5596D982-888C-4189-AF65-3257252025C7.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 3
Top Bottom