Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It was my youngest's 11th birthday today and his club were doing a ride up Holme Moss to commemorate the TDF doing it last year.

Now he missed out on riding up there last July due to an adult breaking his arm (pushed him off a swing :cursing:) so we joined up with them and rode up.

He found it tough going but made it up :smile: - he's the 2nd child from the left, with the 'Birthday Boy' badge:

holme_moss_zpsatgf5tap.jpg

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
It was my youngest's 11th birthday today and his club were doing a ride up Holme Moss to commemorate the TDF doing it last year.

Now he missed out on riding up there last July due to an adult breaking his arm (pushed him off a swing :cursing:) so we joined up with them and rode up.

He found it tough going but made it up :smile: - he's the 2nd child from the left, with the 'Birthday Boy' badge:

holme_moss_zpsatgf5tap.jpg
Chapeau!

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
My Ridgeback tourer's just over a year old now and today got its first puncture. The tyre was ridiculously easy to take off and put back on, which was a relief. Otherwise a hilly 48 miles to Bampton with my cycling group. We had lunch at a new-to-us cafe, the Toucan something or other. Whatever it was called, it was brilliant. Highly recommended if you're in that neck of the woods, though Bawden's Bakery is also excellent if you're after cake. Or bread.

Mike_P

Guru
20 miles this afternoon with 1446ft of climbing, and in an attempt to keep the climbs in the shade wherever possible I unusually opted for the steeper of two ways up one hill. Maybe because it was a year on from tdf, motorists were being very kind - one even slowed to allow me to turn right on to a busy A road. Headed into Nidderdale once again, the annoying thing about this dale is all ways out are uphill!
nidd1.jpg

Just back from a week's holiday in Porlock - mostly walking with wife and dog, but managed to get in 3 ascents of the Porlock Toll Rd during the week on my Defy, returning down the main A39 and the real hill. Left the 'bent at home, resting. Maxed at 44mph before my brave pills ran out. Along with my KoolStops... Boy is it steep!

Took 3 mins off my time this am so must have done me some good.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My Ridgeback tourer's just over a year old now and today got its first puncture. The tyre was ridiculously easy to take off and put back on, which was a relief.
Just be extra careful to seat your tyres properly. I mentioned a couple of days ago my friend Carrie's front tube exploding due to the tyre popping off the rim and letting the tube escape! I noticed when helping her that the tyre went back on remarkably easily, which presumably means that the reverse is also possible ... :whistle:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
44 miles for the ride this Independence Day. I took a little tour to eat pancakes and support the Fire Protection District in a town called Downs(because it is surrounded by them) The amphitheater was surrounded by bunting for some event.
B-Amphitheater%20and%20Bunting_edited-1_zpsoljbptca.jpg
So many places have "Blue " in their place names. I believe it is because of the haze which often visits this part of the country.
E-Soybeans%20and%20Farm%20at%20Dawn_edited-1_zpsxc8bct3x.jpg
A great reason for an expedition tourer! The road here is asphalt, but when it crosses Illinois 9, it becomes gravel, and oil and gravel at times. And very hilly.
F-Route%20165%20and%20Route%209_edited-1_zpsy0c9mahg.jpg
When I got to Downs, the Schwinn Impact was corralled at the fire station.
I-Schwinn%20at%20Downs_edited-1_zpsosz5lb38.jpg
Some of the equipment the fire protection district has on hand.
J-Downs%20Fire%20Protection%20District_edited-1_zpszicionim.jpg
Despite looking for trains along the Norfolk Southern line between Holder and Ireland Grove, and also north of Gillum looking toward Shamrock, I had no rail encounters today, until I got to Uptown Station in Normal, where I encountered Amtrak.
O-Passenger%20Locomotive%20Crossing%20Street_edited-1_zpsv08rs5zx.jpg
Temperatures hovered around 26 C today, but much cooler when I first took off in the morning. 827 feet of elevation gain over 44 miles, light breezes, good pancakes, better sausage, fine company. A great day. Now folks are shooting off fireworks outdoors.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Another leave the house early ride for me up out the boro via the mad mile and for a change right along to Harrowden then on to Orlingbury and up to old Red. House crossing where as you can see it was busy.

WP_20150705_001.jpg

Then down into Hannington and along to Holcot then up past the car boot site and heading towards Sywell and then a quick stop en route to Mears Ashby

WP_20150705_004.jpg

Right at Mears Ashby and along to earls Barton through the village and along to the crossroads at the top of hardwater up past the Rugby club with a fast descent into Wilby across the A4500 and head towards Mears Ashby.

WP_20150705_005.jpg

Once into Mears Ashby it was back towards the boro and down the mad mile towards home , 23.58 miles furthest so far for me and the Aende tourer .

WP_20150705_002.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Slightly delayed report; I got my Imperial Century for July in yesterday.:hyper:

After the problems in May I had unfinished business with my Ludlow route so was up for my usual early start and set out into warm, humid and slightly misty conditions after the overnight thundery showers.

I already know that this route is marginal in terms of hitting the 100 miles so I added an extra loop towards Condover, Atcham and Upton Magna then through The Quarry in Shrewsbury before going out the other side of town to Montford Bridge, Great Ness and Melverley.

It became quite windy out (just for a change :wacko:) and from a direction that meant I was riding directly against it from Westbury onwards. I'm fairly sure that it was partly from trying to keep up the pace in almost identical conditions that did the damage previously so I took it very easy and just plodded on against the wind. There were stops in my usual places to keep fuelled up and watered, plus the odd photo stop, at one of which I did a good deed for the day by supplying a cable tie and a knife to allow a passing rider to effect repairs to his damaged and unravelling bar tape.

Reaching Montgomery I had intended to pause for an early lunch. Unfortunately the bench that I usually like to stop at had part of a tree on it and the town fete was on meaning the ones in the centre were inaccessable. I carried on and found a sheltered gateway with a view for my lunch stop instead.

Moving on again, the remaining stretch into Bishop's Castle was much easier than last time, although the saddle was starting to give me a hard time and I was only halfway round.:huh: Leaving Bishop's Castle I was accosted by a marshal at the main road junction who wanted me to turn right (I wanted to go straight on), who then realised with a start "Oh, you're not on a tandem".:laugh: There was a tandem triathlon taking place (apparently its 30th anniversary event: http://www.tandemtriathlon.org.uk/ ) so I was passing tandems going the other way for the next few miles. Some were clearly taking it very seriously, though the costumes I saw suggested that others weren't.^_^

Onwards to Leintwardine and the roads became a bit more hilly before my first big hill of the day up through the Mortimer Forest. I paused in the picnic area near the top for another bite to eat and a rest. Here I had a mobile signal for the first time since Montgomery (about 30 miles previously) so was able to update my brother on progress.

The descent into Ludlow was great, then after a quick look round I was heading north again and I'd hoped would have the wind behind me but it didn't seem to be helping as much as I'd hoped (checking the Met Office site later I found it had died down to a gentle breeze for this bit after I'd been riding against a 17 mph gusting to 30+ wind most of the way since Westbury :cursing:).

The saddle was still giving me gyp so having had plenty of time to think about what the problem might be I stopped before the climb up Seifton Batch and gave it a very small adjustment. I was obviously quite sore anyway by this point but it did make the rest of the ride much more bearable so the next ride will be the proper test.

Seifton Batch was a nice gentle climb and is a pretty little valley so I was able to savour this bit. On the descent the other side I came up behind two horses and riders so I dinged my bell a good distance away to warn them - and saw the lead rider pull out her mobile phone thinking it was that making the noise. :laugh:

I realised that the miles added at the beginning of the ride would mean I'd pass the century easily so I could cherry-pick my route home. The shortest route home from Wall-under Heywood meant another big climb which wasn't overly enticing so I opted for the flatter way through Longville, Kenley, Acton Burnell and Condover. The wind had picked up again by now but the direction had changed so I had some good sections where it swept me along pretty well but less so towards the very end of the ride.

A fraction over 112 miles for the day at 13 mph average and no knee pain (but the sit bones are rather delicate this morrning).

DSC0002454.jpg

Looking through the gates to Condover Hall.

DSC0002465.jpg

Usual elevenses stop at Brockton.........

DSC0002472.jpg

.......but there is a problem with the usual lunch stop at Montgomery.

DSC0002475.jpg

Fete just getting underway in the town square at Montgomery.

DSC0002476.jpg

Finally, a lunch stop with a view.

DSC0002478.jpg

Bishop's Castle.

DSC0002482.jpg

Some great, rolling South Shropshire scenery on the way to Leintwardine.

DSC0002490.jpg

Classic Frazer Nash sports car.

DSC0002497.jpg

The view from the Mortimer Forest.

DSC0002502.jpg

Busy in Ludlow

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Slightly delayed report; I got my Imperial Century for July in yesterday.:hyper:

After the problems in May I had unfinished business with my Ludlow route so was up for my usual early start and set out into warm, humid and slightly misty conditions after the overnight thundery showers.

I already know that this route is marginal in terms of hitting the 100 miles so I added an extra loop towards Condover, Atcham and Upton Magna then through The Quarry in Shrewsbury before going out the other side of town to Montford Bridge, Great Ness and Melverley.

It became quite windy out (just for a change :wacko:) and from a direction that meant I was riding directly against it from Westbury onwards. I'm fairly sure that it was partly from trying to keep up the pace in almost identical conditions that did the damage previously so I took it very easy and just plodded on against the wind. There were stops in my usual places to keep fuelled up and watered, plus the odd photo stop, at one of which I did a good deed for the day by supplying a cable tie and a knife to allow a passing rider to effect repairs to his damaged and unravelling bar tape.

Reaching Montgomery I had intended to pause for an early lunch. Unfortunately the bench that I usually like to stop at had part of a tree on it and the town fete was on meaning the ones in the centre were inaccessable. I carried on and found a sheltered gateway with a view for my lunch stop instead.

Moving on again, the remaining stretch into Bishop's Castle was much easier than last time, although the saddle was starting to give me a hard time and I was only halfway round.:huh: Leaving Bishop's Castle I was accosted by a marshal at the main road junction who wanted me to turn right (I wanted to go straight on), who then realised with a start "Oh, you're not on a tandem".:laugh: There was a tandem triathlon taking place (apparently its 30th anniversary event: http://www.tandemtriathlon.org.uk/ ) so I was passing tandems going the other way for the next few miles. Some were clearly taking it very seriously, though the costumes I saw suggested that others weren't.^_^

Onwards to Leintwardine and the roads became a bit more hilly before my first big hill of the day up through the Mortimer Forest. I paused in the picnic area near the top for another bite to eat and a rest. Here I had a mobile signal for the first time since Montgomery (about 30 miles previously) so was able to update my brother on progress.

The descent into Ludlow was great, then after a quick look round I was heading north again and I'd hoped would have the wind behind me but it didn't seem to be helping as much as I'd hoped (checking the Met Office site later I found it had died down to a gentle breeze for this bit after I'd been riding against a 17 mph gusting to 30+ wind most of the way since Westbury :cursing:).

The saddle was still giving me gyp so having had plenty of time to think about what the problem might be I stopped before the climb up Seifton Batch and gave it a very small adjustment. I was obviously quite sore anyway by this point but it did make the rest of the ride much more bearable so the next ride will be the proper test.

Seifton Batch was a nice gentle climb and is a pretty little valley so I was able to savour this bit. On the descent the other side I came up behind two horses and riders so I dinged my bell a good distance away to warn them - and saw the lead rider pull out her mobile phone thinking it was that making the noise. :laugh:

I realised that the miles added at the beginning of the ride would mean I'd pass the century easily so I could cherry-pick my route home. The shortest route home from Wall-under Heywood meant another big climb which wasn't overly enticing so I opted for the flatter way through Longville, Kenley, Acton Burnell and Condover. The wind had picked up again by now but the direction had changed so I had some good sections where it swept me along pretty well but less so towards the very end of the ride.

A fraction over 112 miles for the day at 13 mph average and no knee pain (but the sit bones are rather delicate this morrning).

View attachment 94980
Looking through the gates to Condover Hall.

View attachment 94981
Usual elevenses stop at Brockton.........

View attachment 94982
.......but there is a problem with the usual lunch stop at Montgomery.

View attachment 94983
Fete just getting underway in the town square at Montgomery.

View attachment 94984
Finally, a lunch stop with a view.

View attachment 94985
Bishop's Castle.

View attachment 94986
Some great, rolling South Shropshire scenery on the way to Leintwardine.

View attachment 94987
Classic Frazer Nash sports car.

View attachment 94988
The view from the Mortimer Forest.

View attachment 94989
Busy in Ludlow

I was at nearly all these places last wek @Rickshaw Phil

dont supose it was you i spoke to in Knighton on Saterday?...last week by the monument..
if it was you you'd just come from shresbury via clunn..very hilly bit

Last edited:
Top Bottom