Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One the way to work yesterday. The cycle route runs through a sculpture park, so here's sunrise at a sculpture I call "Woodhenge".

WoodHenge.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A somewhat delayed report again:

Tuesday: I'd hoped to get a ride in the afternoon but things got in the way so I ventured out later on in the evening despite it being overcast and chillier than the thermometer would have you believe. The route was a variation of my ride up to Pulverbatch and Wilderley. I headed over Lyth Hill to start then dropped down to Exford's Green and Stapleton then headed up the long steady climb via Church Pulverbatch.

The light faded steadily as I headed through Wilderley and Smethcott. At Leebotwood I was quite enjoying riding in the dark so extended the route through Dudgeley to cross over the A49 (pretty quiet) and head back through Hollyhurst and Longnor. Passing the turning for Leebotwood from this side of the valley I found that it was just as well I'd extended the ride as the road I would have used was closed.

I had bats flitting around me at various places along the lanes to Ryton. The road to Condover was nice and quiet as was the A49 by this time of the evening.

26.2 miles at 12.2 mph average. Enjoyed that.:okay:

The view from Lyth Hill.

At Pulverbatch.

Looking back towards Lyth Hill from near Smethcott. The sensor might be able to cope with the fading light but I struggled to hold the camera still enough.

Thursday: As @gavgav has already mentioned, we met up for another evening ride. He hasn't mentioned that Doug was supposed to have joined us, but once again a last minute problem prevented him from coming.:sad:

Gav has given a pretty good description of the ride and I'm not sure I can add anything except that it was enjoyable to be out in company on a leisurely late summer/early autumn evening ride.

19.49 mileas at 11.7 mph average by the time I got back.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
We seem to be having a mini summer at the moment, which makes a refreshing change from the cld wet weather that has dominated this year. I nipped out for a small ride on the gravel roads to the North, this afternoon in the sunshine. The fields are currently full of corn, ready for the harvest and the skies are blue, I love the feel of this time of year.

As I come to end of the road I traverse onto the gravel and through the forest. I arrive at the glider school in time to see a glider being hoisted aloft on the end of its tow rope. I stop for a minute or two and watch it slowly gain height and then the runway control gives me permision to cross and it's onwards we ride.

Through the village I turn back onto gravel roads, flanked on either side by towering fields of corn, ordinarily I can see for miles across the flat landscape here, today though I'm riding down between the corn and my view is limited. After a while, I'm into the trees and riding fast, the crunch of gravel under my tires and the songs of the birds in the trees accompany me. As I reach a small road that cuts across my path, I wing onto it for a few hundred metres before leaving it again and onto another gravel path vaulted over by tress.

The plan was to follow this for a kilometre before turning South, but I'm in a world of my own, lost in the moment and letting my bike lead the way and before long I'm realising I'm not on the path I should be. It's not a great problem though, there are hundreds of kilometres of gravel tracks traversing these woods and I'm heading in the right general direction.

A few twists and turns and the ground becomes more reminiscent of dirt roads and single track, I'm back on tracks I recognise and I'mflying along, twisting this way and that under the canopy. Even under the abundant green cover this year, the forest floor is alive with berries and mushrooms providing a multi coloured carpet to the bed of needles and old leaves.

I emerge again from the forest and back onto open farmland, a large gravel track leads me downhill and I have a moment as I hit a large patch of sand that sends me sideways. It's then a lovely ride as the tracks winds it's way through a copse and along the side of the corn fields.

The sand is making the going tough and I slow down and spin the pedals as I strive to keep some forward momentum.

The last kilometres lay ahead now as I emerge out on the side of the lake bordering the edge of town.

A few more kilomtres of gravel track lay ahead as I skirt around the outskirts and back towards home. Not a long ride by any means, but a mellow and relaxing 22 kilometres in the warm afternoon sun.

First time I've ridden on two consecutive days but my knee is feeling so good, that 'why not?' was all I asked myself. I spoke to an old friend/colleague yesterday who's a retired physio, about the improvement, and she reckons that the cycling has probably been spreading synovial fluid to places within the joint where it's been in short supply, and that there isn't as much arthritis present as everyone has been assuming.

I'm also really pleased that I'm now managing to cycle up some slopes - I can't give them the dignity of calling them 'hills'! - instead of having to walk and push even the slightest ones. I still stop a lot and have a little walk-and-push, then sit down on a convenient bench or rock, at one point on the seat at a bus-stop, but it is what it is.

I'd taken my secateurs with me and at a couple of spots near my home, did a little judicious trimming of nasty brambles that are trying to get peoples legs and faces, whether they are walking or cycling, and other bushy things in a couple of places that are impinging on the path, making a bend and junction much more narrow and 'blind' than is necessary or safe. Two people saw me; one said 'thanks' , the other said ' I'd thought of doing that, but then I wondered if I might get in trouble'. I said to her, 'Well I think the council are the ones who would get in trouble if this bramble ripped someone's eye out as they came round the corner ... so I'm saving them thousands of pounds in damages! ' and we laughed. I cut it out at the base then dragged it some way to a heap of wilted vegetation clearly waiting to be collected. Good deed done for today!

I did 9 miles in total - about a third of the way round the Guild Wheel, then had a coffee at the Docks before leaving the Wheel and cutting up through a park, a lane, under the railway and through another park onto the canal and then home. Lots of people out on the Wheel - joggers, cyclists, dog-walkers, blackberry-pickers ... the diversion for the Western Distributor construction is horrible but at least it's signposted clearly, unlike the 'diversion' (what diversion? It's just ... blocked ...) on the Lancashire Cycleway 90. I must explore the set of signposts for route 90 further back, to see if there's any indication on them of a diversion; there's certainly none at the point of blockage.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Fantastic day today! My end of summer adventure and something I’ve been dying to do for AGES….I cycled from home (Marlborough) to the coast (Swanage).

Left home at 7am in a glorious autumny sunrise! Excited! 20 fast miles on quiet roads to Amesbury where I met my mum for cake and bumped into my aunt and cousin too!

Off through the lovely Woodford Valley to Wilton and a cup of coffee before more country roads! Finally rolled into Cranbourne at 45 miles, sat on a bench and ate mum’s fruit cake!

Much busier roads for the rest of it, which spoiled the fun a little but increasing excitement and pride as I arrived in places we’ve only ever visited by car! Wimbourn. Wareham. Corfe Castle!!!

So very exited to finally arrive in Swanage and swoop down to the beach! I can’t quite believe I cycled to the beach!

75 solo miles! Lots of cake. Bright sunshine. Lovely villages. Happy pigs in a field. And my husband and son at the end to bring me home!

Tell you what…75 road miles is nowhere near as hard as 40 miles off road! The King Alfred Way was fantastic training!

Attachments

• 2261CD02-08D5-42CC-8550-9A00E3C3F12A.jpeg
    2261CD02-08D5-42CC-8550-9A00E3C3F12A.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 9
  • B4AB85B7-2093-4235-A676-70FC65407728.jpeg
    B4AB85B7-2093-4235-A676-70FC65407728.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 8DDE30A0-CE74-4C84-80E6-8ED47D4C11FA.jpeg
    8DDE30A0-CE74-4C84-80E6-8ED47D4C11FA.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 01EB3286-6680-4FB4-AC90-75742DA1180C.jpeg
    01EB3286-6680-4FB4-AC90-75742DA1180C.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 17

Cavalol

Guru
Just under 2.5 years (iirc) absence and the Montgomery Canal triathlon was back on today.

Change of plan/total mileage this year, instead of 17.5 mile bike ride, 11.5 mile walk (or 'run' whatever that means!) and a 7.5 mile canoe, it was a 14 mile bike ride, 5.5 mile canoe and a 9.5 mile walk.

*Edit: 55mph was clearly the coach carrying us to the start, not some fat old bloke on an ancient Trek hybrid!

End of part one, asthma playing up a bit due to a slight cold, but went well

1630786793451.png

1630786584862.png

Part two was erm 'slightly less than successful' as despite this being our 4th MCT, we managed to go into the canal. Twice...

1630786883800.png

1630786930892.png

1630786956142.png

The first time was only about a mile and a half from the start, and was witnessed by a fair number of bemused onlookers, which just made it better really. New walking shoes, new coat, two pairs of socks, one pair of shorts, one pair of jogging bottoms ready for bin. The smell was only noticeably bad after we'd (literally) broken the water, but my clothes stink now, of course.

The second time, we were on the far side of the canal, 'handily' enough not the side of the tow path. We'd hit the side (again) in some bushes and couldn't right ourselves. A bit of mild panic, the steersman was doing one thing, I (in middle) was clinging on to some small branches and the front man was trying to row us out of it. We took on water, the kayak listed badly, then it was game over, and we went in again. The luck of it being quite shallow where we were lasted about 2 steps to the side and we were up to our middle wading across to the other side, not helped by the mud at the bottom...

1630787663673.png

Part three was the easiest this year, probs because my 'new' job involves a lot of walking so it didn't see too bad. Have some blisters though.

1630787241860.png

1630787310278.png

1630787339506.png

1630787722853.png

Despite the introduction to the bottom of the canal bed, it was, once again, an absolute blast and we're looking forward to next year already. The numbers were down a bit this year but it didn't detract from a great day out.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I seem to have the focus to write an account in the evening after a ride during the day, which is unusual!

It remains a pretty inactive year, though I'm still hoping for a good autumn. Today was a meandering 55 miles to the Pershore area and back, picking up a few more pictures for the various photo threads. After riding through Corse Lawn I remembered to pause and get a picture of my bike amongst the Bentleys:

I'll use a different image in the "Old Iron" thread.

I crossed the river at Upton and headed up on a loop through the village of Drake's Broughton. Soon afterwards, fortunately just after turning onto quiet roads again, I had an attack of giddiness which for a while I thought might lead to the dreaded rescue call home. Gradually it cleared and I was able to continue cautiously, and in the end I was able to get home comfortably.

It may not be entirely unrelated to note that I've been suffering from continuous and apparently permanent tinnitus since February, starting very close to the day I had my first dose of barely tested chemicals injected into my arm. Ho hum.

I needed a late comfort and refuelling stop, and chose a well-used one on the A38 south of Tewkesbury. Unfortunately there are some 4-way temporary traffic lights nearby causing long queues so the stop wasn't as private as usual. There's a good view of Cleeve Hill, near Cheltenham which I snapped while waiting for the traffic to move:

The countryside is looking nice. Hedgerows filled with blackberries. I finished on 55.7 miles, not bad at all. :smile:

C R

Guru
Mrs C R is running a half marathon tomorrow, and I am the support crew, so moved my ride to today. I had been looking at a couple of lumpy routes Herefordshire way, but I didn't want to be back too late, so decided to go round Bredon Hill, which I know I can do in about three hours. Coincidentally, the route intersected @Aravis' route in a couple of sections.

Out just after six, a tad before sunrise, so need lights now, and a bit cool, so long sleeve jersey. Head to Upton via the lane through Kinnersley, and then head for Long Green via Longdon. Roads still quiet, no wind, but a rather dull sunrise due to the low clouds. At Long Green it is left towards Tewkesbury, but with a stop for a drink at the Mythe Bridge.

Onwards now towards Bredon along the northern edge of Tewkesbury, up to Conderton and a quick descent to Beckford. On the road between Beckford and Ashton there were a few young pheasants, which kept running ahead, flying for a short distance, and back to running again 😀.

Up through Ashton and on to Kersoe were the only lumps of the day, and then a swift descent to Pershore via Elmley Castle.

Final stretch home from Pershore was via Wadborough and Littleworth, arriving almost exactly three hours after I set off, with the sun finally starting to shine.

The map
Screenshot_20210904-230529_Connect.jpg

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
A swift 30km this morning, a little cooler than I thought but glorious sunshine and hardly a soul about. I’ve been training hard and trying all sorts over that past couple of years to achieve 20mph avg. speed and today finally I did it … just ! … 32.19km/h = 20.001939mph - so I sneaked in just over 20 … so pleased with myself today ^_^. A totally flat course next to the river Danube - 15kms out and 15km back … my usual circuit if I’m short of time or want to go ‘foot to the floor’ …

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Reservoir Cogs: Tour of the traffic free roads of North Wales.

I recently discovered there is not just one, but two dead end traffic free climbs to hydroelectric dams in North Wales. It would be rude not to attempt them both in a day, and I've never cycled any of these roads before.

Thus, yesterday, three off us set off from Conwy:

and amble up the valley to Betws y Coed. The first climb starts here, the Crimea Pass to Blaenau Ffestiniog. Long but not steep and followed by a very fast descent. Now the first target, Llyn Stwlan.

I cannot emphasise too much what a wonderful road this is. Perfectly surfaced, spectacular scenery and views and my friend counts fully 16 hairpins. The dam hoving into view is an intimidating sight.

The descent of the hairpins, though, is astonishing. They're so tightly packed it's more like skiing than cycling.

Lunch now beckons, the Ffestiniog railway bridges decorating the route.

The café at Garreg has an amazing mainly veggie menu, but alas it's rammed and the 45 minute wait for hot food means just pasties and excellent frangipane cake. Highly recommended.

Fortified, a lovely scenic back road takes us to the climb up to Pen y Pass. First mechanical ensues, but not a bad place to fix a puncture.

Over the Pass and another supersonic descent, to Llanberis. We take the road back up the opposite side of the lake, a brutal albeit pleasantly wooded and scenic ascent.

Now the sting in the tail, what I believe is the highest paved road in Wales, Marchlyn Mawr. Bikes hoisted over the gate, a world of pain as we haul our sorry carcasses through a desolate moorland landscape to the summit. This is one for the hard core only, an unremitting and bleak climb, but it certainly feels good to be at the top.

I've noted the rather severe cattle grids on the way up. "Take care" are my last words. BANG. The second grid has, literally, metal ridges with sharp tops affixed and my rear wheel succumbs at 40mph.

This appears fatal. The rim is utterly pringled and is hitting the frame. It's even worse than the photo appears, having a severe Z shaped impact viewed from above, and I doubt it'll hold the bead. But, to my astonishment, I manage to pull the wheel straight enough to rotate, and get enough air in to ride without it blowing off. We're away, the rest of the longest descent in Wales needing to be done on front brakes only(!).

20 miles to the finish are completed without incident, some lovely lanes and spectacular views of Anglesey and the Orme from NCN5.

The sun is just starting to set at the end.

93 miles, 2700m climbing.

Do Llyn Stwlan before you die, it's amazing.

Avoid Marchlyn Mawr unless you're a masochist!

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
Reservoir Cogs: Tour of the traffic free roads of North Wales.

I recently discovered there is not just one, but two dead end traffic free climbs to hydroelectric dams in North Wales. It would be rude not to attempt them both in a day, and I've never cycled any of these roads before.

Thus, yesterday, three off us set off from Conwy:
View attachment 607717

and amble up the valley to Betws y Coed. The first climb starts here, the Crimea Pass to Blaenau Ffestiniog. Long but not steep and followed by a very fast descent. Now the first target, Llyn Stwlan.

I cannot emphasise too much what a wonderful road this is. Perfectly surfaced, spectacular scenery and views and my friend counts fully 16 hairpins. The dam hoving into view is an intimidating sight.
View attachment 607721

The descent of the hairpins, though, is astonishing. They're so tightly packed it's more like skiing than cycling.

View attachment 607722

Lunch now beckons, the Ffestiniog railway bridges decorating the route.
View attachment 607724

The café at Garreg has an amazing mainly veggie menu, but alas it's rammed and the 45 minute wait for hot food means just pasties and excellent frangipane cake. Highly recommended.

Fortified, a lovely scenic back road takes us to the climb up to Pen y Pass. First mechanical ensues, but not a bad place to fix a puncture. View attachment 607725

Over the Pass and another supersonic descent, to Llanberis. We take the road back up the opposite side of the lake, a brutal albeit pleasantly wooded and scenic ascent.

Now the sting in the tail, what I believe is the highest paved road in Wales, Marchlyn Mawr. Bikes hoisted over the gate, a world of pain as we haul our sorry carcasses through a desolate moorland landscape to the summit. This is one for the hard core only, an unremitting and bleak climb, but it certainly feels good to be at the top. View attachment 607727

I've noted the rather severe cattle grids on the way up. "Take care" are my last words. BANG. The second grid has, literally, metal ridges with sharp tops affixed and my rear wheel succumbs at 40mph. View attachment 607728

This appears fatal. The rim is utterly pringled and is hitting the frame. It's even worse than the photo appears, having a severe Z shaped impact viewed from above, and I doubt it'll hold the bead. But, to my astonishment, I manage to pull the wheel straight enough to rotate, and get enough air in to ride without it blowing off. We're away, the rest of the longest descent in Wales needing to be done on front brakes only(!).

20 miles to the finish are completed without incident, some lovely lanes and spectacular views of Anglesey and the Orme from NCN5.

The sun is just starting to set at the end.

View attachment 607729

93 miles, 2700m climbing.

Do Llyn Stwlan before you die, it's amazing.

Avoid Marchlyn Mawr unless you're a masochist!
That looks incredible - what a great ride :becool:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I like to make up my own name for roads that don't have signs saying what they are called. So locally we have "Flat Rat Lane" and "Audi Avenue" among others. Today on our club ride we took in "Profanity Corner". Sure enough, as we rounded the corner at the bottom of the Tortworth climb, one of our number let out a collection of swear words. I first encountered this short but deadly climb several years ago when doing the Jack & Grace Cotton Memorial audax. On that occasion at least 30 of us were bunched up together as we rounded the corner, and at least 20 found themselves in completely the wrong gear, causing a chaos of gear crunching, urgent dismounting and highly inventive swearing. Hence "Profanity Corner". Only after we completed the steepest 50 yards at the bottom did people's Gar-things flash up a warning of a 14% stretch to follow. We all made it up to the cafe at Tortworth right at the top of the hill .... only to discover that it was closed. This was a disappointment, as that always used to be a year round refuge for tired cyclists. The one place you were guaranteed a seat in the warm and some nice hot grub.

We pressed on past the ride's only other hill up to Stinchcombe before cutting across to the Leaf & Ground cafe on the hillside above Cam. Another great club ride. 47.3 miles in all. The sun even came out towards the end. All is well with the world.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Having enjoyed a lie-in, I subsequently missed the opportunity to confirm I was up for a ride with a mate (he was already out on the road), and on a whim I decided to get this month's 50k banker in for the 50k Challenge.
The ride was noteworthy for at least two reasons: I saw an awful lot of other cyclists appearing to enjoy themselves (a sportive was in progress) and then later I paused at a junction to let a dinky-sized tractor get ahead of me. What I failed to notice was that it was towing a trailer full of manure. After 200 metres of me suffering - not only from the smell, but because I realised I could be cycling faster than he was going, yet had no opportunity to overtake - the driver pulled over for me to get ahead and waved whilst laughing himself fit to bust. I must admit, I was laughing myself - I've seen Back To The Future and what happened to Biff ..
Suffolk in Autumn. This at Kirton.

photo (12).JPG

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
1st club ride in a month due to hols etc
new rider who does duathalons turned up on spec to see how we ride and i think he enjoyed it , couple of very strong riders on the front so the rest of us were on the limit most of the way although i did some turns on the front as much as i could anyway !
Overtook and chatted to a group who were doing a 3 day charity ride somethign about balls on the jerseys i gather it was for cancer although i didnt catch most of the chat .
Went on the same route as a triathlon for a bit and i think the few we overtook who were in full TT gear were a bit shocked as we pacelined past them on the flat at around 25 mph .
Tackled boot hill today and even though i got my 2nd best time i was only 3rd out of 5 up it today then onto Bosworth battlefield for a cake stop then another 20 home.

Last edited:
Top Bottom