Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cwskas

Über Member

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Unusually for me, I actually had some time for a ride today as well. With the sun out and the temperature hovering around 20 degrees, it was time to head North and up to the Heathland. Yesterday had been a mellow ride, but today I really wanted to push on and get some kilometres in. I headed North on the usual quiet roads, overhead a number of gliders are wheeling around on the thermals. Before long the road comes to an end and it's onto the first gravel road leading up to the Glider school.

I wait at the runway crossing for the runway controller to beckon me across, at the end of the grass runway are several gliders waiting to set off. After the runway I continue to head North and plunge into the forest, following the dirt trails. With the sunshine and the fact it's Sunday, the forest is busier than usual with folk walking and enjoying the afternoon.

After a few kilometres, I leave the dirt trails behind and hit the first "Wald Autobahn" the wide gravel roads that bisect the forests here and provide a fast ride through. The last few years have been dry and hot, this year in contrast has been wet and cold and the difference in vegetation growth is really noticeable. The forest is alive and vibrant, in between the trees the heather is in full bloom and adds a lot of colour.

The heathland here is a mixture of farmland, woodland and open moorland. The moorland though is only small patches of heather, caused by the overgrazing of animals by the early Bronze age farmers, the whole landscape here is shaped by the influence of man and is known as a cultural landscape.

As I get closer to Angelsbecksteich and the road the number of people is increasing a lot. As I reach the lake, the heathland around it is swarming with hundreds of people and I decline to stop and instead swing East onto the Wald Autobahn that heads East from here in a straight line for 5 kilometres, slowing rising and falling and providing fast passage between the trees.

The end of the road sees me turning South onto a rough track that links onto another Wald Autobahn and a fast ride down to Rebberlah. I rest under the sprawling oak for a last break before the last push home. I've been making fast time, aided by the fast gravel roads, but now it's a little slower due to the road being pockmarked with large potholes which I weave around. Several kilometres later and there's a mosaic of surfaces, switching from gravel to dirt tracks too asphalt.

The last kilometres see me retracing the roads back home, either side the fields are high with corn and the air is alive with the noise of crickets. I roll back home after 44km's of riding and having a lovely time in the late summer sun.

Mike_P

Guru
Sunday , twenty to one and, after a day and half of forming level ground for a shed, sun tan lotion on and the showground, Haggs Road, Spofforth and A661 route to Wetherby. Nearly collided with a dog on the bridleway to the showground; it shot out of the bushes straight in front, that close the handlebar mounted sportscam missed it.

Used the cycle path south from Wetherby to A1(M) junction 45; the intent then was to use the road parallel to the A1(M) to Bramham but it was closed. A quick check of the map on the phone in the shade of the A1(M) overbridge and east on the A659 for the first right turn in Boston Spa to Clifford and then Bramham. I got overtaken twice by the same 10 strong group of cyclists who must have taken a different route through Boston Spa.

Paused at Bramham for a snack and then back on route; still a Leeds Festival sign up a week on. Back on the cyclepath around junction 44 and onwards through Aberford to the 7th letter ABC of Micklefield; another place with a lack of nameboard so alternatives used.

West to Garforth in an indirect manner as the roads went, and then north to Barwick in Elmet where the Komoot sourced route on the Wahoo lead me on a short cut to the road to Scholes. A shady bench at the latter allowed for the sportcams sd card to be changed; just 10 minutes left. An elongated staggered crossing of the A64 followed and, with continual road closures for the building of a new road, north east to Thorner in order to order to go north west to Shadwell.

West via Wigton and Alwoodley, then north west passing Golden Acre Park on a very rough road surface before the road started disappearing from view ahead as it fell down the side of lower Wharfedale .That brought me, with brake pads somewhat more worn, to Arthington and old style combined name/direction sign.

West to Pool via another section of poor road surface and over the River Wharfe on the A658, turning off to climb up to Almscliffe Crag. Continued beyond to join the B6161 to Beckwithshaw and then Otley Road the wrong way in terms of the UCI circuit.
56.41 miles 3585ft climbed 13.5mph avg

Last edited:

Mburton1993

Über Member
The return trip from a week away at Presthaven Sands with the family, very glad I ended up cycling there, every trip this week has been great; Llandudno (which is alot further away than it appears on a map), Prion (tiny village in the arse end of nowhere). Up and down the seafront repeatedly (if you're the area I recommend the beach near the Nova Centre), even to the shops was good.

Bikes are great.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I must admit to feeling chuffed at today's ride.
A couple of weeks ago, I decide it might be fun to ride to every park and open space within the boundaries of Ipswich. About thirty miles.
And I’ve done it. (Though it was a tad more than thirty, for reasons below.)
It took far, far longer than anticipated (Ipswich sits in a valley and the route had numerous Suffolk hills), and a few highlights follow.
Passing a woman sitting outside her house in a rather posh part of town, I called out ‘Morning!’, she replied in return, but then I glanced at my watch a few moments later, I realised it was actually 12.30 and yelled back ‘Sorry! Afternoon!’
Her male neighbour, from behind a hedge, shouted back ‘Afternoon!’
I feel it’s fun moments like this that make life worth living.
Just over halfway I realised I had a slow puncture. I then remembered that I had been planning to replace the tyres because they are an absolute pain to remove and replace. I was also getting knackered and decided to call it day and head for home – twice pausing to get some compressed air into the tube. About a mile from home, though, it occurred to me that I could freshen up, have a sandwich, and get out on another bike!
Which I did.
I may have celebrated with alcohol when I got home the second time.
A few pics of various parks in Ipswich.

Holywells:

Holywells Park 2.JPG

Gippeswyk:

Gippeswyk 1.JPG

And Westbourne:

Westbourne 2.JPG

Alex321

Veteran
Decided to go out after dinner today, given how hot it was earlier.
1630967797049.png

One of my regular routes, with a new twist.

Out through City, Langan, up to the A48 then Colwinston was as usual - decided to have a good go at the segment starting on the A48 and round to Colwinston, as my previous PB was only 8 seconds of KOM (admittedly, that segment has only been done by 208 people :whistle: ). And I got it.

After Colwinston, decided to go straight over at Llandow Cross, and down through Sigginstone and St Mary Church (I've only ever ridden that road in the other direction before), then through Llandough and back home. The Roam ran out of juice in Llandough, so the route looks like it finishes about 5 miles before it really did :angry:
Between Langan and A48

Shortly after Colwinston

Towards Llandow - love the shadow on the wall.

cwskas

Über Member
Managed to get 100k in today, but should have started earlier than 9am. The bike computer reported 101 F by 230pm. I really struggled with the heat for the last 15 miles or so.

Pulled over to get a bit of shade and had a welcoming committee.

A nice restoration of an old Mill

A great stop for a fantastic bacon cheeseburger on Jalapeño bun

A couple of essential rest stops in the last 10 miles

Attachments

• 20210906-100k - 6.jpeg
    20210906-100k - 6.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 5

Old jon

Guru
Warm again out there, and definitely a day to ride a bike. The fixed has been stuck in the shed too long, so I will take that. As yet, I know not where.

And before I reached Holbeck a route had been thought up, nothing new but a fair old workout for me and the fixed. Canal towpath then. Cross the River Aire on the way to Headingley, and from there to Lawnswood. Then after the first bit of level road for a while, turn right to go through Adel and ride up the side of Golden Acre Park. Down the hill to Bramhope is always good.

Through the extended village, up the rising road by the Puritan Chapel and there at the edge of the road are the first conkers, bright green and spiky, that I have seen this year. Don’t think it is a sign of anything other than the approach of autumn. To the Dyneley Arms, a right turn and twiddle down to Pool. Brave, I was, crossed the Wharfe there, after a left turn crossed the Washburn River. This road bends around to show me the climb up to Farnley. Well, the steeper bit of it. Over the top and there is that whizzy descent.

A stop by the river to fuel the body, and then Leeds Road out of Otley, back to Bramhope. Indeed, all the way back to Headingley. Down the hill to Kirkstall and back on the towpath. Which was very quiet. Checked the time, about eleven. No lunch time medallists out yet.

Back to Holbeck, followed by the wend around on the way back to the street I live on. A cracking good ride, happen a bit warm now, but the grin shows I am back home. Thirty two miles this morning, and sixteen hundred feet going uphill. Respectable.

garpictures . . .

07092021.jpg

0709elev.jpg

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Haven't been out for a couple of weeks. If this is my cycling comeback it's very intermittent.
Yesterday's ride took me from Hanley Swan, over the Malverns at British Camp then looped around to bring me back over on the easier climb to Hollybush. It was hot, damned hot. It was steep, not damned steep but steep enough to have me grovelling in the heat. Had to get off and have a stretch - sciatica doncha know and not lack of fitness. It was too hazy to take pictures but here's the route. About 22 miles I think.

1631025491346.png

Treated myself to a couple of bottles of Malvern Gold cider when I got back then spent half an hour teaching Mrs. jg how to fix a puncture before she went out for her ride. We have to take it in turns as one of us has to spoil our old and very needy dog while the other is out.

Taking advantage of this mini heatwave, yesterday I got out for a little post work potter down to Market Bosworth and back and today up to East Midlands Airport and back. I always underestimate the elevation side of things especially round local roads- I was wondering why I couldn’t quite get the pace up like yesterday’s effort but then it was over 50ft/mile!
Nice to get out all the same.

theloafer

Legendary Member
not been out for a while ..so planned a route for tomorrow so thought it best to take the bike for a short spin just to make sure all is well.
we have a mostly off road route cycle/walk that run around the whole town , all was good 😁😁

ride 2 ... thought as i was not going far and my partner has not been out on hers i took hers out just to keep battery's happy used the same route as it was very quiet. her bike was totally strange to ride her been small went for the 43cm the handle bar seemed so tiny lol. mind i soon got used to the Enviolo hub... but its not as good as the Rohloff on my super charger, but still a very nice bike

Attachments

• 20210907_112304.jpg
    20210907_112304.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210907_112311.jpg
    20210907_112311.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 3

Mike_P

Guru
Booked two days off ostensibly to finish off the sub base, and hopefully the base proper, for the new shed before Thursdays predicted thunderstorms . The sub base is made that more complex by a rough concreted path in one corner. Ended up with plastic trim stuck to broken tiles stuck to the path to allow for infilling with sharp sand to support the proper, plastic, base. So whilst the slow setting Sticks like sh*t set time for a midday commencing bike ride.

Decided to avoid as much as possible any steep / lengthy climb for fear of expiring in the heat so instead of either Humps and a Hill or the hill on Skipton Road followed the cycle path, still with a section of up to 11.8% , through a park and looped back to head east through Bilton and onto Knaresborough. Opted to use the Beryl Burton Cycleway and had to pause twice given its narrowness to allow climbing cyclists to pass. Over the River Nidd on High Bridge pass standing traffic and onto Waterside; avoiding the climb up Bond End. It was slightly busy with pedestrians.

The loop around Abbey Road and then pass the builders merchants, from whom a 100kg bag of gravel for the plastic base is awaited, to join the A59 eastwards.Turned off northwards through Flaxby to the 7th letter ABC of Coneythorpe, and a proper nameboard albeit next to a, well-sealed, sewerage pumping station.

Continued north to Arkendale and then east over the A1(M) to head south on the A168, immediately passing verge side occupants who should not have been there.

Discovered the link from the A59 was open which would have given a shorter route and paused in the shade of the A59 overbridge before continuing south, turning east pass Hunsingore to Cattal. Over the Nidd again, the lights on the bridge staying green and south to Thorpe Arch trading estate. Then east to Wighill; the bench by the church providing as usual a convenient break.

Resumed southwards via Tadcaster and the A162 through Towton and then turned to Scarthingwell – back to lack of any nameboard and opted to use the golf club sign.

Average speed had crept up to 14.3 mph despite the relatively slow initial part of the ride.The Komoot sourced route on the Wahoo directed me on a loop partly via a tarmac bridleway which unfortunately transpired to use what appeared to a private access to a nursing home. Opted instead to head to Barkston Ash, the Wahoo now played up declaring Radar disconnected. No, the Varia was definitely there and working; deleted the sensor from the Wahoo and reinstalled. This then caused the displayed ride details to reset.

Through Barkston Ash and back north on the A162; turning west to Stutton where the hope for a bench was proved right but it was in full sun. Instead at the west end of the village a low metal railing in partial shade was more attractive for another break. The climb away, in terms of steeper part (14.5% max) was in shade, and a free flowing A64 crossed over. Then via one bit of the A659 and the narrow roman road to the main A659, turning onto the NCN over the Wharfe and due, to the closed section, pass Wealstun prison. Got blasted by hot engine air from a bus pulling away from a stop which I could have done without.

West to Wetherby and pass All Terrain Cycles to head north west on the B6164; free wheeling frequenting any down grade and a slower than normal climb through Kirk Deighton. A final pause at North Deighton and in absence of any seating area in a stone bus waiting shelter I made use of one of low walls either side of the entrance.

Onwards through Little Ribston and then a tree arched section of road, the temperature plummeted briefly and momentarily revitalised a PR on the final climb towards the A658. The A road was busy as I trudged upwards to Birkham Wood on the inner bridleway lane. On the following decent just as the necessary right turn was approaching a gap in traffic. Down to Calcutt and up Forest Moor Road. Through suburbia with what transpired to be a simple crossing of the A59, recrossing it on a shared path across the Stray only to join it in further on for the decent of Skipton Road hill after following part of the outbound route again.

Ride data merged: 60.05 miles 2415ft climbed 13.8mph avg

Last edited:
Top Bottom