Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Yesterday's ride was much flatter than my loop over the Malverns on the previous day. On another scorching hot day I decided that keeping to the Severn valley was the best option especially as sciatica was giving me a not so gentle reminder that an easy day was the best option.

Again, not a very good day for photography with the Chilterns to the east and Malverns to the west obscured in haze. Had a couple of off road moments at Baughton and Drayton. The one at Baughton is obviously very muddy in wet weather but in this heat the deep hoof prints had set like concrete resulting in jackhammer like progress. I should have walked.

20210907_110614[1].jpg

Posh house at Drayton

Mostly flat riding apart from a couple of short climbs at Kinnersley (twice) and Pirton, which didn't aggravate my sciatica. The roads were very quiet too which made for very relaxed riding.

1631090601763.png

The route. Straight line near the end is where the batteries gave up.

C R

Guru
Yesterday's ride was much flatter than my loop over the Malverns on the previous day. On another scorching hot day I decided that keeping to the Severn valley was the best option especially as sciatica was giving me a not so gentle reminder that an easy day was the best option.

Again, not a very good day for photography with the Chilterns to the east and Malverns to the west obscured in haze. Had a couple of off road moments at Baughton and Drayton. The one at Baughton is obviously very muddy in wet weather but in this heat the deep hoof prints had set like concrete resulting in jackhammer like progress. I should have walked.

View attachment 608176
Posh house at Drayton

Mostly flat riding apart from a couple of short climbs at Kinnersley (twice) and Pirton, which didn't aggravate my sciatica. The roads were very quiet too which made for very relaxed riding.

View attachment 608177
The route. Straight line near the end is where the batteries gave up.
Nice route. I never use either of the Baughton or Draycott shortcuts, not worth it for the reasons you give. BTW, the hills to the east are the Cotswolds.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Nice route. I never use either of the Baughton or Draycott shortcuts, not worth it for the reasons you give. BTW, the hills to the east are the Cotswolds.

My mistake. I've never been clear about any of the ranges of hills south of the Peak District. Malverns have got to be an easy one though what with Great Malvern, Little Malvern and Malvern Wells being scattered about them.

I went for a ride today to try and get a decent photograph of these hills now that the weather is a little cooler and clearer. Firstly I rode towards them until I got to the Three Counties Showground where I turned right to follow their flank northwards but with no luck. The view was always obscured by something but I wasn't put off as Mrs.jg had walked up to Old Hills this morning and come back with some cracking pictures so I headed that way.

At Callow End I decided to dodge down to the old ferry crossing at Pixham and have a look at the river.

20210908_123657[1].jpg

River Severn near the old ferry at Pixham

From there it was a gradual ascent back to the main road, which I crossed and then rode over the short turf to the trig point at Old Hills.

20210908_124842[1].jpg

Old Hills

All I could see were trees but I wasn't too disappointed as there was a small deer, totally oblivious to my presence, grazing just a few yards away. It had the slope backed, alien looking forehead of a Muntjac and was the right size but I'm not sure whether they live around here so could have been a young Roe deer.

Had a few hairy moments riding back down over the turf on 25mm tyres but got back to the main road without falling off. There I turned right and headed to the Plough and Harrow to quench my thirst before finishing at Hanley Swan still without a decent picture of the Malvern hills.

1631109217236.png

Last edited:

C R

Guru
My mistake. I've never been clear about any of the ranges of hills south of the Peak District. Malverns have got to be an easy one though what with Great Malvern, Little Malvern and Malvern Wells being scattered about them.

I went for a ride today to try and get a decent photograph of these hills now that the weather is a little cooler and clearer. Firstly I rode towards them until I got to the Three Counties Showground where I turned left to follow their flank northwards but with no luck. The view was always obscured by something but I wasn't put off as Mrs.jg had walked up to Old Hills this morning and come back with some cracking pictures so I headed that way.

At Callow End I decided to dodge down to the old ferry crossing at Pixham and have a look at the river.

View attachment 608207
River Severn near the old ferry at Pixham

From there it was a gradual ascent back to the main road, which I crossed and then rode over the short turf to the trig point at Old Hills.

View attachment 608209
Old Hills

All I could see were trees but I wasn't too disappointed as there was a small deer, totally oblivious to my presence, grazing just a few yards away. It had the slope backed, alien looking forehead of a Muntjac and was the right size but I'm not sure whether they live around here so could have been a young Roe deer.

Had a few hairy moments riding back down over the turf on 25mm tyres but got back to the main road without falling off. There I turned right and headed to the Plough and Harrow to quench my thirst before finishing at Hanley Swan still without a decent picture of the Malvern hills.
Nice route again. It is surprisingly difficult to get good views of the hills from the lanes on the west side of the river. If you manage to get to the good side again, High Green is a good place for nice open views of the hills. Unfortunately the weather will be turning this evening.

ETA, Thinking about the area again, going along Jennet Tree Ln from Callow End your should get some nice views once you go past Deblins Green.

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
Another hot, sunny day today and a make it up as I go along sort of route planned. Started off to Whixall turning at the crossroads to Fenns Bank and across the swing bridge to Alkington. I got to the bridge just as someone was about to lift it but they did let me cross first after I asked nicely. Took the next turning back towards Hollinswood, Coton, Abbeygreen and Edstaston meeting more traffic than usual on these lanes for some reason. Carried on to Highfields then over The Lowe into Wem, through the town and off into Tilley and Loppington.
Decided to head to Lyneal and past the woods to Colemere before turning back to Lyneal past the car park and sailing club. Turned to Hampton Bank then alongside the canal to Bettisfield, Northwood then home. 33.5 hot, dusty miles.
2BF294FA-AA6A-4E5C-A5A6-C17C0B4C7A80.jpeg

79488F9B-86BF-4315-A893-4B479B53B08A.jpeg

CC0C1742-EEA8-429E-B015-04A638F55604.jpeg

394C6399-68B1-4C86-A872-1EEA82BDFC7A.jpeg

theloafer

Legendary Member
Wednesday planned ride... was up and out by 7-45 headed to Bishop Auckland to pick up the old rail line which is just after the viaduct also known as part of the NCN 715 for about 2 miles where then it changes to the NCN 70 passing through Brancepeth,- Willington, Sunnybrow - Brandon on to Broompark picnic site. where just after Baxter wood you pick up the Lanchester Valley railway path also known as NCN14 passing though Bearpark- Langley park - Lanchester to the outskirts of Consett, which then i picked up the the c2c route NCN 7 or better known as the Waskerley way which was to take me all the way to Parkhead Station cafe. at the 36 mile point and 30 of that was traffic free.😁😁😁
had a coffee and a sausage+ egg sarnie then headed down Crawleside into Stanhope then off up over Bollihope on the B6278.dropped down into Middleton-in-Teesdale as i was in need of tea+cake after all that climbing. left on the B6282 though Eggleston up folly bank took a left over to Woodlands towards Toft Hill down to Tindale crossing -shildon and back along the cycle path home , totally knackered all told 76 miles and a really fun day .
ride out to Stanhope | Ride | Strava

Attachments

• 20210908_144655.jpg
    20210908_144655.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 1

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Wednesday planned ride... was up and out by 7-45 headed to Bishop Auckland to pick up the old rail line which is just after the viaduct also known as part of the NCN 715 for about 2 miles where then it changes to the NCN 70 passing through Brancepeth,- Willington, Sunnybrow - Brandon on to Broompark picnic site. where just after Baxter wood you pick up the Lanchester Valley railway path also known as NCN14 passing though Bearpark- Langley park - Lanchester to the outskirts of Consett, which then i picked up the the c2c route NCN 7 or better known as the Waskerley way which was to take me all the way to Parkhead Station cafe. at the 36 mile point and 30 of that was traffic free.😁😁😁
had a coffee and a sausage+ egg sarnie then headed down Crawleside into Stanhope then off up over Bollihope on the B6278.dropped down into Middleton-in-Teesdale as i was in need of tea+cake after all that climbing. left on the B6282 though Eggleston up folly bank took a left over to Woodlands towards Toft Hill down to Tindale crossing -shildon and back along the cycle path home , totally knackered all told 76 miles and a really fun day .
ride out to Stanhope | Ride | Strava
View attachment 608293
View attachment 608295
View attachment 608297
View attachment 608299
View attachment 608300
View attachment 608301
View attachment 608302
View attachment 608304
View attachment 608305

Fabulous ride.

You need to get that bridge photo in the completion thread!

gavgav

Guru
My ride on Tuesday.

I headed up to the Lake District on Sunday, for a mini break with @Rickshaw Phil, walking and cycling in fabulous hot and sunny weather, better than anything we’ve seen in 20 years of going up there!

Despite tired legs from climbing the Old Man of Coniston mountain, on Tuesday we hired some bikes for a circular tour. We set off from Lowick Green and had a short section on the busy main road to Spark Bridge, before joining quieter lanes through lovely countryside to Bouth.

We then headed through the Rusland Valley and began the long steep climb up to Graythwaite, via Crosslands. The bikes didn’t have the lowest of gearing on them, plus some questionable pivots on mine, which made for some interesting gear changes and a struggle up some of the climbs, when we’re used to lower climbing gears.

Next section was the nice descent down to Cunsey and Windermere shore, enjoying views over the water in the sunshine.

From there we climbed up to Far Sawrey and the busier road to Near Sawrey, but had a gap in the ferry traffic, so our direction was fine. Busy with lots of people visiting Hill Top cottage and all things Beatrix Potter.

We then dropped down to Esthwaite water and paused at the trout fishery car park, to enjoy the sunshine and views that struggle to be beaten on any lake up there.

The section on the main road to Hawkshead wasn’t bad at all, considering the sheer number of people in the Lake District, before we began the steep climb through Roger Ground, up to Grizedale Forest. I struggled with the lack of low gearing and had to have a couple of rest stops, but we made it up to Moor Top and enjoyed a break for lunch in the shade of the trees, to cool down a bit.

We’d originally thought of doing a bigger run through the forest, but with this gearing decided to take the shorter route along the gravel tracks to High Cross. It’s always pleasant in Grizedale and it was quiet, peaceful and enabled some good speeds to be enjoyed on the descents.

From High Cross, we descended Hawkshead Hill branching onto the badly potholed lane to Brantwood and along the Eastern side of Coniston lake. There were more lovely views over the lake and plenty of people out on or in the water, trying to cool off a bit.

The only downside along there was the amount of traffic, battling to squeeze past each other and indeed this included a massive articulated warehouse lorry, that we met on a tight corner. I squeezed to the side and he slowly crept past, but I was beginning to think I may need to abandon the bike and jump up the verge, as he got very close. What on earth he was thinking taking something that size up there, goodness knows, probably just followed SatNav, but there would have been a number of sections where he couldn’t have got past parked cars further on…..

At High Nibthwaite, we left the lake and continued on to Lowick, where we paused to check the distance, as I was aiming to get my 50k in for the Half Century challenge. We could see we were going to be a bit short and so went back to Spark Bridge, then up and doubled back along a nice flat section that links to the main Ulverston road, to add a bit of mileage.

The short section back on the main road was quieter than we feared it could be and we dropped the bikes back off, having thoroughly enjoyed the ride, with the fabulous weather, but both agreed we need to sort out getting our own bikes up there next time.

31.43 miles, with 3003 ft of climbing at 9.6mph avg.

Plans changed for yesterday's ride when I decided that in the humidity I really didn't want to ride across the city to the railway station then sit on a train. Instead I went to an ice-cream farm about 5 miles away, and came back by a different route (other than a mile or so) via the Guild wheel and Lidl, for a few groceries. The ice-cream in the sunshine was delicious, and all traffic on my road route out was considerate - especially the Audi driver who stopped his car approaching me, drew into the side and put on his hazard lights - I wondered WTH until I saw the state of the road surface on 'my' half of where he had stopped and just before - I did indeed have to swerve and zig-zag all over the road to get through without breaking half my bike and all my teeth.
Coming back on the Guild Wheel would have been pleasant if it were not for the overgrown bits which force cyclists and pedestrians into conflict with each other - and at a couple of points into conflict with traffic when there is barely enough room for one user on what is supposed to be a wide, mixed-use path - all the very awkward-to-manoevre cycle 'barriers' which only serve to irritate and annoy the slow and bulky among us - children and the speedy just whizz around them, but it's not so easy for beginners, or for those who are, or who are carrying, larger, longer or wider loads, and the cyclist-controlled road crossing situated between two roundabouts (one of which is fortunately still under construction or I might have been there still ...) which doesn't work on one side ...
Another email to the council about the faulty crossing and another few trips out with the secateurs and maybe even a pair of shears to trim back the worst of the rampant overgrowth at the worst spots.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Linear Trip to Wales 2021 day 1. 31st August.
Or, My ride today

This was part of a longer trip to Wales but as a) my first longish non round trip on the Linear and b) the first trip with luggage, I thought I’d stick it on here.
I’d been considering this trip for months but not managed any decent length rides to prepare since April. However I thought I ought to just get on and do it.

Today is the day. I’d put it off a couple of times as the time wasn’t right. Set the alarm for sparrowfart though didn’t lift off until 0900. I hoped (maybe optimistically) to get to Montgomery, about 60 + miles, or even Newtown at 80ish miles if all went well. Despite a loaded trial run I ended up taking too much weight -rationale being if B&B failed, I could still camp. Not such a good idea as the legs ain’t what they used to be and I was soundly punished by the extra weight on the hills. Anyway, with a set of old Karrimor panniers and a Radical bag on the back with a “nose bag” on the front for a cape etc, I set off into a dull cloudy morning lit up by a glow of optimism. I intended to get to Nantwich via unclassified roads then see how the traffic was before settling on the route. The bike rolls well, and I take my time to warm up gently. Not hard to keep going, though wish I could maintain a bit more speed on the up slopes.

I get to Nantwich in good time with a slight following wind from the N and E. Overcast, but not unpleasantly cold. I take the Whitchurch road and continue to Whitchurch rather than to Audlem via Coole Pilate. Despite spells of heavy traffic with a lot of trucks they leave me alone and give me a wide berth and I make steady if unspectacular progress. I get to the series of bypasses around Whitchuch but due to the pressure of vehicles get diverted on to the Telford road and have to waste some time waiting for a gap in the dense traffic and a suitable place to turn back. Fortunately once on the A49 to Shrewsbury things settle down, a good wide road and steady but not frenetic traffic. The wide open landscape and following wind help a lot.

The A49 here has a good number of long hills but at this stage of the trip they are quite manageable despite the weight. At about the 20 mile mark I stop for a leak and a cold fizzy drink before continuing. There are some long sweeping downhills which are enjoyable but further along I find myself becoming uncomfortably hot on some of the too frequent uphills. Unexpectedly suddenly I find myself outside Shrewsbury where I stop at a convenient Burger King at 41 miles for a well earned fix of junk food. I take the lights and computer off and put them in my pocket. I had expected to get here by 1300 at 10mph but am slightly later than that. Added to this the electronic ordering system is throwing a tantrum and I am stuck behind a queue of other customers until the orders are sorted out. Having waited for my not-so-fast-food I get too comfortable and stay longer than I should, eating into my remaining daylight which at this point I still think I have plenty of.

My plan is to make for Montgomery via the direct route through Shrewsbury town centre which would give me a nice downhill ride to the river. It is 1430 by now which should have given the lunch time traffic time to disperse. I re attach light and computer and get under way. My legs had stiffened up but once under way they are OK. However I soon come up to a queue of traffic which I hope is just a temporary obstacle. After a mile or two it becomes plain that this is here to stay. It’s not such a problem to ride a recumbent bike in traffic as far as stopping and starting are concerned, even a great big long one, but you can’t nip through gaps so easily, especially with panniers on. I turn round and head back uphill to the roundabout on the A49 then take the next left.

Here I am pleasantly surprised to find a wide off road cycle lane so I take a chill pill and roll easily to the top of the mile or three gentle climb to the roundabout at the summit.

I notice that my speedo is giving high readings and spot that it is now reading in KPH. It is a fair bet that the wheel size has been reset too. I guessed that the light and computer had done battle while in my pocket and this was the result. That is annoying. I had hoped to have a new max speed record while plummeting down some hill in Wales but I can’t reset it without the instruction sheet. When I looked at it before putting in my pocket it was showing max 34mph. Nothing to be done about it now. I turn left for the town centre again and head downhill to the river.

Traffic is still clogging up the town centre but eventually I cross over the Severn bridge and begin the climb up the Montgomery road. It is uncomfortably steep and at one stage I get off and push. I haven’t left Shrewsbury yet and here I am pushing! I estimate that I have about 20 miles to go so ought to get there by 1700. There are some steep climbs before Shrewsbury has done with me but I feel I am making reasonable progress, without a reliable speedo to check with.

Heading in the direction of Westbury the traffic is travelling fast on this narrow winding road and passing space is limited. The tyre noise gives plenty of notice of approaching traffic but something about the surface gives it a very harsh sound. When I see a turning to Montgomery with a sign (avoiding low bridge) I take the turning in the hope that the traffic might be less. Initially it is a network of narrow lanes but comes to a TJ with the A488. Turn right for Pontesbury and Minsterley then no more signs! I ride round the confusing one way system in Minsterley until asking a random dog walker gives the vague information that there is a turning off the Bishop’s Castle road. The other alternative is to go back towards Shrewsbury and start again.

I continue on to the A488 Bishop’s Castle road and pass many junctions but none signposted as I’d hoped. Eventually I come across a group of walkers who give some directions up an unsignposted lane. There are many undulations which I cope with better than expected and which eventually come out after some confusing meanderings on to a route with names which I recognise.

By this time a reddish tinge is spreading over the evening and the light is starting to fade. It's a glorious evening if only I had time to appreciate it. I had added unwanted miles and used up indispensible time. I swap my shades for clear glasses. Every so often I come round a corner to be confronted by a short sharp hill and find that my legs are lacking in go, and once or twice push the last few yards. I am following a route with a turn off ahead for Chirbury and Montgomery. I stop and put my lights on, though I can still see well enough.

Finally the turn for Chirbury and Montgomery arrives through the gloom. The undulations become more severe. It seems as if having turned off, the route is no longer going along the valley, but across the grain with related ups and downs. The tiny hamlet of Chirbury looms out of the dark and disappears again. The road seems darker afterwards and dips and rises. I’m definitely walking up the last part of the inclines now. My legs have stiffened up so it’s hard to dismount to push with only an unsupportive hedgebank to lean on.

Montgomery is a distant light on a hill. I swoop down dips in the dark then struggle up the other side. I can’t see far enough ahead on this unlit road to risk getting up enough speed to rush a few yards further. Just as I think I’ve gained some height, I zoom down again and have to struggle back up. At one downhill a barn owl swoops down, ghostly white in reflected light from my headlamp, before silently overtaking me and turning away.

The distant light gets gradually closer but I can see that it’s all uphill now, no more dips and I run out of steam and stop for a rest. I end up pushing doggedly on autopilot to the top of the hill where there is a square. Here I manage to get something to eat and drink, and sort out somewhere to stay. I am totally bushed, but perk up surprisingly quickly after something to eat and a couple of cold drinks. I feel pretty good now I’ve got here. It’s the furthest I’ve travelled on a bike for several years, and certainly with luggage. I’m feeling a bit dubious about covering my planned distance tomorrow. Probably my own fault for making my destination a town beneath a castle on top of a humungous hill.

If not for getting lost, I would have arrived in daylight and things would have looked different.

According to Mapometer I did 73.22 miles, Ascent 2012 feet. Descent 1628 feet. Max speed recorded on the speedo before it reset itself 34mph though I’m sure that it would have recorded higher since. Average unknown.

The Linear performed fine throughout. The power unit was what caused any shortfall, and if I’d booked somewhere beforehand I could have travelled lighter. Certainly after removing the panniers to unpack, the bike felt light and stable on the stand. Even with the full load, it felt surefooted and stable once the undercarriage was up. Fitting the Schwalbe Big Apple to the front was one of my better moves.

After thoughts: should have taken more photos. Should have squeezed in more miles before this trip. Should have pruned down the luggage.

I got a buzz out of knowing that I’d pedalled it quite comfortably through the counties of Cheshire, Shropshire and into Montgomeryshire.

gavgav

Guru
Linear Trip to Wales 2021 day 1. 31st August.
Or, My ride today

This was part of a longer trip to Wales but as a) my first longish non round trip on the Linear and b) the first trip with luggage, I thought I’d stick it on here.
I’d been considering this trip for months but not managed any decent length rides to prepare since April. However I thought I ought to just get on and do it.

Today is the day. I’d put it off a couple of times as the time wasn’t right. Set the alarm for sparrowfart though didn’t lift off until 0900. I hoped (maybe optimistically) to get to Montgomery, about 60 + miles, or even Newtown at 80ish miles if all went well. Despite a loaded trial run I ended up taking too much weight -rationale being if B&B failed, I could still camp. Not such a good idea as the legs ain’t what they used to be and I was soundly punished by the extra weight on the hills. Anyway, with a set of old Karrimor panniers and a Radical bag on the back with a “nose bag” on the front for a cape etc, I set off into a dull cloudy morning lit up by a glow of optimism. I intended to get to Nantwich via unclassified roads then see how the traffic was before settling on the route. The bike rolls well, and I take my time to warm up gently. Not hard to keep going, though wish I could maintain a bit more speed on the up slopes.

I get to Nantwich in good time with a slight following wind from the N and E. Overcast, but not unpleasantly cold. I take the Whitchurch road and continue to Whitchurch rather than to Audlem via Coole Pilate. Despite spells of heavy traffic with a lot of trucks they leave me alone and give me a wide berth and I make steady if unspectacular progress. I get to the series of bypasses around Whitchuch but due to the pressure of vehicles get diverted on to the Telford road and have to waste some time waiting for a gap in the dense traffic and a suitable place to turn back. Fortunately once on the A49 to Shrewsbury things settle down, a good wide road and steady but not frenetic traffic. The wide open landscape and following wind help a lot.
View attachment 608332
The A49 here has a good number of long hills but at this stage of the trip they are quite manageable despite the weight. At about the 20 mile mark I stop for a leak and a cold fizzy drink before continuing. There are some long sweeping downhills which are enjoyable but further along I find myself becoming uncomfortably hot on some of the too frequent uphills. Unexpectedly suddenly I find myself outside Shrewsbury where I stop at a convenient Burger King at 41 miles for a well earned fix of junk food. I take the lights and computer off and put them in my pocket. I had expected to get here by 1300 at 10mph but am slightly later than that. Added to this the electronic ordering system is throwing a tantrum and I am stuck behind a queue of other customers until the orders are sorted out. Having waited for my not-so-fast-food I get too comfortable and stay longer than I should, eating into my remaining daylight which at this point I still think I have plenty of.

My plan is to make for Montgomery via the direct route through Shrewsbury town centre which would give me a nice downhill ride to the river. It is 1430 by now which should have given the lunch time traffic time to disperse. I re attach light and computer and get under way. My legs had stiffened up but once under way they are OK. However I soon come up to a queue of traffic which I hope is just a temporary obstacle. After a mile or two it becomes plain that this is here to stay. It’s not such a problem to ride a recumbent bike in traffic as far as stopping and starting are concerned, even a great big long one, but you can’t nip through gaps so easily, especially with panniers on. I turn round and head back uphill to the roundabout on the A49 then take the next left.

Here I am pleasantly surprised to find a wide off road cycle lane so I take a chill pill and roll easily to the top of the mile or three gentle climb to the roundabout at the summit.

I notice that my speedo is giving high readings and spot that it is now reading in KPH. It is a fair bet that the wheel size has been reset too. I guessed that the light and computer had done battle while in my pocket and this was the result. That is annoying. I had hoped to have a new max speed record while plummeting down some hill in Wales but I can’t reset it without the instruction sheet. When I looked at it before putting in my pocket it was showing max 34mph. Nothing to be done about it now. I turn left for the town centre again and head downhill to the river.

Traffic is still clogging up the town centre but eventually I cross over the Severn bridge and begin the climb up the Montgomery road. It is uncomfortably steep and at one stage I get off and push. I haven’t left Shrewsbury yet and here I am pushing! I estimate that I have about 20 miles to go so ought to get there by 1700. There are some steep climbs before Shrewsbury has done with me but I feel I am making reasonable progress, without a reliable speedo to check with.

Heading in the direction of Westbury the traffic is travelling fast on this narrow winding road and passing space is limited. The tyre noise gives plenty of notice of approaching traffic but something about the surface gives it a very harsh sound. When I see a turning to Montgomery with a sign (avoiding low bridge) I take the turning in the hope that the traffic might be less. Initially it is a network of narrow lanes but comes to a TJ with the A488. Turn right for Pontesbury and Minsterley then no more signs! I ride round the confusing one way system in Minsterley until asking a random dog walker gives the vague information that there is a turning off the Bishop’s Castle road. The other alternative is to go back towards Shrewsbury and start again.

I continue on to the A488 Bishop’s Castle road and pass many junctions but none signposted as I’d hoped. Eventually I come across a group of walkers who give some directions up an unsignposted lane. There are many undulations which I cope with better than expected and which eventually come out after some confusing meanderings on to a route with names which I recognise.

By this time a reddish tinge is spreading over the evening and the light is starting to fade. It's a glorious evening if only I had time to appreciate it. I had added unwanted miles and used up indispensible time. I swap my shades for clear glasses. Every so often I come round a corner to be confronted by a short sharp hill and find that my legs are lacking in go, and once or twice push the last few yards. I am following a route with a turn off ahead for Chirbury and Montgomery. I stop and put my lights on, though I can still see well enough.

Finally the turn for Chirbury and Montgomery arrives through the gloom. The undulations become more severe. It seems as if having turned off, the route is no longer going along the valley, but across the grain with related ups and downs. The tiny hamlet of Chirbury looms out of the dark and disappears again. The road seems darker afterwards and dips and rises. I’m definitely walking up the last part of the inclines now. My legs have stiffened up so it’s hard to dismount to push with only an unsupportive hedgebank to lean on.

Montgomery is a distant light on a hill. I swoop down dips in the dark then struggle up the other side. I can’t see far enough ahead on this unlit road to risk getting up enough speed to rush a few yards further. Just as I think I’ve gained some height, I zoom down again and have to struggle back up. At one downhill a barn owl swoops down, ghostly white in reflected light from my headlamp, before silently overtaking me and turning away.

The distant light gets gradually closer but I can see that it’s all uphill now, no more dips and I run out of steam and stop for a rest. I end up pushing doggedly on autopilot to the top of the hill where there is a square. Here I manage to get something to eat and drink, and sort out somewhere to stay. I am totally bushed, but perk up surprisingly quickly after something to eat and a couple of cold drinks. I feel pretty good now I’ve got here. It’s the furthest I’ve travelled on a bike for several years, and certainly with luggage. I’m feeling a bit dubious about covering my planned distance tomorrow. Probably my own fault for making my destination a town beneath a castle on top of a humungous hill.

If not for getting lost, I would have arrived in daylight and things would have looked different.

According to Mapometer I did 73.22 miles, Ascent 2012 feet. Descent 1628 feet. Max speed recorded on the speedo before it reset itself 34mph though I’m sure that it would have recorded higher since. Average unknown.

The Linear performed fine throughout. The power unit was what caused any shortfall, and if I’d booked somewhere beforehand I could have travelled lighter. Certainly after removing the panniers to unpack, the bike felt light and stable on the stand. Even with the full load, it felt surefooted and stable once the undercarriage was up. Fitting the Schwalbe Big Apple to the front was one of my better moves.

After thoughts: should have taken more photos. Should have squeezed in more miles before this trip. Should have pruned down the luggage.

I got a buzz out of knowing that I’d pedalled it quite comfortably through the counties of Cheshire, Shropshire and into Montgomeryshire.
You’re braver than me, choosing a good number of the roads you chose through Shropshire and I’d recommend some of our beautiful lanes if you wanted to repeat, but hope you enjoyed it anyway.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Despite poring over OS maps of the areas in Wales I wanted to visit, I didn't have a fine scale map of the area between Shrewsbury and Montgomery, so as the supposedly shortest distance between two points, ignorance was bliss! I would certainly choose a different route next time. Having got lost, I suppose you could say the routes chose me. The last time I visited Montgomery was during the last century, on a motorbike. Even then there were parts of Wales that I would go around when pedal powered and I think I would add that route to it. The Linear is geared low enough to climb most things as long as you are going fast enough to stay upright, but probably depends on fresh legs and no excess baggage for best results. On the plus side, I've survived that, so the next trip should hold no fears.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Last day in the Severn Valley for us and although the clouds were draped across the Malverns like tattered curtains I needed to get out on a mission. That mission was to get some raspberries from Clive's fruit farm. Mrs. jg had brought some back yesterday and they were the most delicious I'd eaten since I was a boy. No more supermarket raspberries for us.

I took a roundabout route though and really enjoyed it despite the frequent showers. The rain was refreshing rather than draining and helped keep me cool in the steamy warmth.

Got to say that the lanes around here are some of the most pleasant for cycling on. Scenic but with hedges to keep you sheltered from the wind. Mostly traffic free but when you do come across drivers they're courteous - haven't had a close pass all week. There's a good mix a flat roads and some steep hills if you're up for it. Thoroughly recommend this area for cycling.

1631205702304.png

The route.

There weren't any raspberries left when I got to Clive's so I got four bottles of Wobblejuice cider instead. It's completely opaque.

Top Bottom