Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Set out early doors this morning for my annual “fish n’ chips run” over to Skeg Vegas.

A half decent half tailwind pushed me along through the flats of Lincolnshire in beautiful sunny weather. The lumps and bumps of the 3,000ft of climbing always comes in the first 30 odd miles as I cross the Vale of Belvoir, this time towards Grantham. Once into Lincolnshire the elevation graph flatlines!
Picked up Ingoldmells en route as well much to my displeasure due to the clientele that frequents it but it is always a good way to make sure I get a ton in when riding out there, as direct to Skeggy is often under this figure. Met Mrs Noodle Legs out there and drove back with her as opposed to catching the train back. For her trouble I did treat her to fish n chips however which scored me a few brownie points!

Quite a pacey one today by my standards, the terrain and wind enabling me to finish in under five and a half hours.

A grand day out.
View attachment 608724

View attachment 608725

View attachment 608726

View attachment 608727

View attachment 608728

Well done, an impressive ride.

I love that feeling when you reach a town or a landmark that's so far from where you set off that most people would use a train or a car, and knowing you got there under your own power.

Well done, an impressive ride.

I love that feeling when you reach a town or a landmark that's so far from where you set off that most people would use a train or a car, and knowing you got there under your own power.
Thank you, I’ve never put it in so many words or even looked at it like that but yeah in retrospect it is an amazing feat. I like to do linear routes and this particular one is my fourth in a row since 2018! This is something I aim to do once a year nowadays and I would usually get the train back, but the wife fancied a trip out as well today and offered to meet me there! I did London a couple of weeks ago- about ten miles further than today- and that was even more amazing but much more lumpy!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I booked to ride Sarah's Yo-Yo 200 yesterday. I decided to take the old Omega for an airing, as it has a triple. Checked it over and fitted a new tyre.

Chuffy was late, so I waited and we set off about 15mins after the others. Antonia was stamping cards at Honiton. At Bampton we encountered a few stragglers and it started raining, not for long though. We sheltered in the Bakery with flapjacks & coffee until it passed.

Barnstaple was busy. The Bike Shed café was too inviting to miss. We were stopping far too long at controls, but who cares. The hills started in earnest.

Torrington was next and a more traditional garage forecourt stop. Then over the Torridge and the interminable climb on the A386 towards Hatherleigh, with views of Dartmoor looming. Then on to Okehampton and the final control. A Waitrose control for contrast.

The last stretch followed the old A30 out of the town To Exeter. We joined the traffic through the city and chugged the final bit to the finish at the pub.

Chuffy bought me a beer. 223km and 3000+ metres of climbing. The weather was not far off perfect.

I booked to ride Sarah's Yo-Yo 200 yesterday. I decided to take the old Omega for an airing, as it has a triple. Checked it over and fitted a new tyre.

Chuffy was late, so I waited and we set off about 15mins after the others. Antonia was stamping cards at Honiton. At Bampton we encountered a few stragglers and it started raining, not for long though. We sheltered in the Bakery with flapjacks & coffee until it passed.

Barnstaple was busy. The Bike Shed café was too inviting to miss. We were stopping far too long at controls, but who cares. The hills started in earnest.

Torrington was next and a more traditional garage forecourt stop. Then over the Torridge and the interminable climb on the A386 towards Hatherleigh, with views of Dartmoor looming. Then on to Okehampton and the final control. A Waitrose control for contrast.

The last stretch followed the old A30 out of the town To Exeter. We joined the traffic through the city and chugged the final bit to the finish at the pub.

Chuffy bought me a beer. 223km and 3000+ metres of climbing. The weather was not far off perfect.

View attachment 608764
Simply Incredible. Well done!👏

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Late to the party again. @gavgav has already written up our ride in The Lakes from tuesday so I don't have a lot to add to it.

I agree that the bikes could have done with some lower gearing but we got on a lot better than I thought we might with the 36-28 bottom gear ( I make that 34 gear inches approximately). Being there in such fabulous September weather made it extra special. With holidays abroad being for the really determined at the moment all of the honeypot places were packed as though it was a bank holiday, but despite this many of the roads we used weren't too busy at all making the riding very enjoyable. The exception was the road along the eastern shore of Coniston Water which had attracted a good crowd of people and the articulated lorry that Gav mentioned. We did meet that lorry again much later after having handed back our hire bikes and driven back to Coniston - we wondered whether it had been somewhere loading all that time or whether it had just taken that long to get along the lanes.:ohmy:

31.4 miles at 9.6mph average and 3,000 feet of climbing according to Strava. Happy with that.

A nice Fowler ploughing engine seen on the way to Bouth.

At the gates of Graythwaite Hall

View to Low Cunsey Farm.

At Far Sawrey.

Approaching Near Sawrey.

A bit of a pause on the edge of Esthwaite Water.

Making our way through Grizedale Forest.

A view from the forest.

Coniston and The Old Man viewed from near Brantwood.

A last pause before returning the bikes to Lowick Green which can be seen in the background.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Today the lovely Mrs Tuesday and myself rode the "Grimshaw Grueller" route of the Bollington Bikefest on the tandem.

An early start in misty conditions and the first hill of the day, within a mile, is the steep cobbled ascent of Beeston Brow. My piloting skills prove, just about, up to the task.

(At this point, I'll refrain from mentioning every hill, as this would become more a novella than a CC post)

The descent of Wildboarclough is always one of my favourites, long and very gentle, and the tandem flies along such roads.

Eventually we wind our way to Meerbrook, and the climb of the "Devil's Elbow" towards Roach End. It's vicious, featuring a ridiculously steep hairpin, but we make it, the 24/36 bottom gear an absolute necessity.

First feeding station at Rudyard, then up to the top of Biddulph Moor where only picture of the ride was taken, photography alas impeded by poor visibility all day.

The ascent of Wincle Minn is a highlight of the ride. The surface is in places non- existent, gravel pinging left and right from the high pressure tyres, and the road gated to boot. But the road at the top has unparalleled views of the Western Peak, and lunch makes all well again.

We go through Flash and Buxton, then up the lovely road through the Goyt Valley to the Cat & Fiddle. By now speed has, somewhat remarkably, decreased yet further, everything hurts, and fatigue suffuses throughout our weary bodies.

The end is close, with just 15 miles or so to go, but one major hurdle remains. It's amongst the very toughest climbs in the Peak, and certainly harder than anything we've ever attempted on the tandem. Pym Chair.

Somehow, we haul ourselves up. At the top we collapse, legs close to failure and lungs not far behind. But how we stormed it - averaging fully 3.3mph according to Strava ^_^

Now we know we can do it. There are more hills yet, but nothing we can't cope with.

And so it proves.

[Couple of bonus pics from Mrs T: mist over the Cat

and the road to Wincle Minn:

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Club ride day again. 41.3 miles, and a few proper hills today. Decent weather in Gloucestershire, and great company again. Being much bigger than the others and twice as heavy as some of them, there's no prize for guessing who was last up all the hills, but I made them all without stopping, which i count as a result these days. Over to Stonehouse (near Stroud), then up the Cotswold edge via Kings Stanley, Middleyard, Selsley Common and the gliding club to Nympsfield. From there we dropped down towards Forest Green for coffees at Thistledown Farm.

We headed back home via a great descent through the woods down Crawley Hill and through the village of Uley before taking some lovely scenic little lanes through to Coaley, That was where the plan started to unravel. Today's route took no account of the annual Frampton Fair that was taking place today. The first sign of it was a nose to tail traffic jam headed the other way on the tiny lane between Cam and Frocester. A lane where we rarely encounter more than half a dozen cars was swamped with fifty to a hundred of them all by-passing the A38 Bristol Road. Then on the way from Frocester to Claypits and down the A38 to the Frampton turn we sailed down the hatch marks in the middle of the road past a stationary line of one to two hundred cars all headed for the fair. We avoided Frampton, climbing Whitminster Hill instead. After turning left, we got stuck in more traffic on a narrow lane, so gave up all hope of going anywhere near Frampton. I've no idea where anyone was expecting to park. We headed up the A38 towards Gloucester and spilt up after Moreton Valence, with two of us heading home down the lanes from Epney to Elmore through the Severnside villages. Not really a ride spoiled, as we had so enjoyed the first three quarters of it. Still managed to get a few hills, some nice lanes and over 40 miles in. A good ride.
Cheers, Donger.

AndreaJ

Veteran
Just enough time for a shorter ride today. I was trying to avoid the scarecrow trail in Whixall and the cider festival in Ellesmere so set off to Bettisfield, Breadon Heath and Welshampton crossing the Ellesmere road to head back to Lyneal along the lanes then onto Brown Heath, English Frankton and Burlton. Decided to take the main road towards Myddle and turn off to Nonely , Loppington, Horton with a bit of a detour along Ossage Lane before turning back home. 23.9 miles and much cooler than it was during the week.
Lots of cyclists, horse riders and squirrels out today.
1E9040BC-FCC4-4A7C-A84D-5D8369FA5636.jpeg

Mike_P

Guru
Sunday twenty past midday and with a light northerly wind once again Barwick in Elmet, along with Shadwell, was canned as a ABC visit, this time 7th letter, which in any case would have been largely a repeat of last Sundays ride.

Instead northwards on the A61 with, for once, no lengthy queuing traffic for Ripley; and only a short queue for the drive thru McDonalds at Ripon. Immediately beyond the bridge over the River Skell there was a lengthy queue of traffic so a loop around western Ripon and then the A6108 to North Stainley where I made my normal break stop; that predictable that for the continuation onto West Tanfield Strava gave me a PR from Ripon.

That continued ride on the A6108 in a more exposed landscape was the one part of the ride where the northerly was more noticeable; away from the A road on the climbs north from West Tanfield high hedges reverted the wind to a minor niggle. Down Well Bank and pass Thorp Perrow Arborteum, brought to me to a junction. Decided it was time to switch the planned route on the Wahoo only to find despite syncing earlier in the day the ride had not been picked up.

OS maps on the phone checked and straight on, a series of narrow lanes, one part of the route of NCN71, which lead me to the A684 through Crakehall to Patrick Brompton.

A set of TTLs beyond the village had a double whammy in that the turning off I had planned to take was closed. Continued west for the next turning; a road that the OS map had a chevron on it in the wrong direction. Where chevron was it transpired to be 14.5%. The climb levelled at a level crossing and then resumed upwards this time peaking at 18.5%, immediately beyond was Finghall.

Headed away south east / south crossing a stream and a 13.2% max climb. Turned east having noted I needed the second right turning but when I reached it the direction sign did not seem right and I carried on to the next right turn and only then checked the OS; should have turned at that previous junction – this one came to the same place but once again a chevron the wrong way. Looked at the climb and it did not look that much of an issue – it wasn’t, Strava route mapping indicates 13.5% max and has no segment for it. (EDIT - Segment created and that has a 15.7% max)

Further on another road closed sign seeming to hamper the intended route but as I passed the road end all of the barriers were on the verge; a 315 degree turn and a quite lane climbing initially. At the top a convenient ungated field entrance allowed the watering of the high hedge on its field side; the view in the opposite direction.

Joined the B6268, briefly the B6267 and then along the first, unsigned, turning to Binsoe that had been closed last time I was here. It had been completely resurfaced albeit with some noticeable vertical difference between sections of resurfacing. Onto the A6108 to West Tanfield and back to Ripon pausing again at North Stainley. Followed the route of NCN688 from Ripon through Littlethorpe to Bishop Monkton and the compulsory stream side bench for a final snack.

Therafter the Wahoo informed the Varias battery was low; an hour later almost home via Knaresborough the same message. The clouds had increased and moisture was evident in the air in Knaresborough but ceased until I got home when it did rain.
63.27 miles / 101.82km 3248ft climbed 14.4mph avg

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
A change in the weather forecast over the weekend saw my planned ride for Tuesday happen today. Having spent a few minutes on Sunday morning on the phone booking cycle reservations with Greater Anglia it was off to Diss this morning for another ride around the north Suffolk & south Norfolk lanes.

I'd planned a route in advance and uploaded it to my Garmin but, having left Diss and gone through Palgrave to Stuston and taking the short cut to the A140 crossing, I realised that I'd uploaded the original route, not the amended one with a few changes to take acount of using the Picknflick and not one of the road bikes thanks to the insistant "off course" beeping. Thankfully I'd gone over the changes on Streetview, so at least I had an idea of what to look out for.

This time my route was to take me roughly eastwards to Bungay, mostly on the smaller back lanes through Hoxne, Syleham, Wingfield, down into Needham and then through Harleston town centre where there was some form of arts trail going on
Harleston High Street.jpg

Out of town, past the giant chicken
Harleston Chicken (2).jpg
then on to Wortwell and a meandering run through a couple of villages named after St. Margaret (St. Margaret South Elmham & Ilketshall St. Margaret) before finally heading into Bungay
Into Bungay.jpg
The westwards(ish) trip back to Diss then started with a long and shallow drag, topping out near Hardwick Airfield at the giddy elevation of 200'
Barondole Lane.jpg
More lanes through Starston, Rushall and Dickleburgh before crossing back over the A140 and the run into Diss for a bit of rehydration or two
Rehydration.jpg

where thankfully an off peak return ticket and cycle reservations on two different trains allowed a more relaxed finish to a warm & sunny day out
Screenshot 2021-09-13 at 19-25-02 Garmin Connect.png
Screenshot 2021-09-13 at 19-24-39 Diss - Bungay loop a couple of pints Ride Strava.png

Old jon

Guru
Well, I bought the rain jacket, this morning is the chance to use it. Does go against the grain a bit, setting off in rain is not easy. And on the pretty bike too. Just do it!

So I did. There was a route in mind, a mixup of other rides done, which started with the almost inevitable wander around the bit of Holbeck leading to Water Lane. Up to Oakwood, where less traffic was around. Boot Hill, the A58, as far as Whin Moor Lane then along to Slaid Hill and turn right to go to Wike. Forge Lane from there goes to Harrogate Road and what felt like a wind assisted pedal to Harewood.

Turn left to pass the village hall, better known as Muddy Boots cafe these days. Quiet it was along the bridleway down to the A659. Big change here, turn left. The original idea was right and then along the A61 to the Dunkeswick turnoff, but going down the hill I had seen Almscliff Crag slowly disappear under the rain. So I changed my mind, not going that way. Still heading into the rain but a bit less climbing this way.

It is an odd bit of road, the A659, past the Weardley turn off and into the longest village I can think of. Arthington does not have many houses but spreads at least a mile along the main road. Pool is next, there was a thought to go up Creskeld Lane but it becomes a stream in the rain, so Pool then Otley was the new plan. Had to check out the car parks there sometime, Saturday evening is planned to be in Otley.

Leeds Road again, through Bramhope and turn left to ride up Kings Road. Legs feeling it a bit now, the rain was not warm. Past Adel church on the way back to Headingley and a bit of a traffic snarl at the lights. Kirkstall, take the road to the town centre and decide to try something different.

That I will not bother with again. Once I reached the bottom of Domestic Street all was well, but the approach to that was solid traffic. No fun. The last couple of miles or so to home was good, the sight of my front door was better and the grin was firmly in place. Thirty six miles and a similar 1800 feet of climbing to the previous ride. Different ups though, and a good if sort of wet ride.

No moving pics today, pictures of moving instead,

14092021.jpg

1409elev.jpg

Landsurfer

Veteran
Snaith to York ..... ish, 44.7 miles.

A grey but warm and dry day, good company with my friend Chris and 45 miles of mixed route on an out and back route.
Riding out of Snaith along the route 62 we soon ended up following a second world war airfield perimeter track as part of the route ...
Following the canal into Selby then off north to York.
Then we found ourselves in outer space !!
From Selby to York is the Solar System Greenway, a pathway with a scale model of the solar system along the way ... The planets, various satellites, some amazing art and at the end of it we reached the Sun ... and the BP garage for a food uplift.

As well as all the planets depicted to scale on plinths along the way there are satellites, Voyager etc as scale models along the way.

There is a tribute to Coal Mining along the way, my friend Chris is one of the last coal miners from Yorkshire and this Cutting Head placed along the Greenway caused him a moment .......

Just before crossing the A64 we came across this piece of art on an old railway bridge across the River Ouse .. a fisherman, his bicycle laid behind him and a cat ... he seems to have caught a train .....

Last edited:

galaxy

Veteran
Wednesday planned ride... was up and out by 7-45 headed to Bishop Auckland to pick up the old rail line which is just after the viaduct also known as part of the NCN 715 for about 2 miles where then it changes to the NCN 70 passing through Brancepeth,- Willington, Sunnybrow - Brandon on to Broompark picnic site. where just after Baxter wood you pick up the Lanchester Valley railway path also known as NCN14 passing though Bearpark- Langley park - Lanchester to the outskirts of Consett, which then i picked up the the c2c route NCN 7 or better known as the Waskerley way which was to take me all the way to Parkhead Station cafe. at the 36 mile point and 30 of that was traffic free.😁😁😁
had a coffee and a sausage+ egg sarnie then headed down Crawleside into Stanhope then off up over Bollihope on the B6278.dropped down into Middleton-in-Teesdale as i was in need of tea+cake after all that climbing. left on the B6282 though Eggleston up folly bank took a left over to Woodlands towards Toft Hill down to Tindale crossing -shildon and back along the cycle path home , totally knackered all told 76 miles and a really fun day .
ride out to Stanhope | Ride | Strava
View attachment 608293
View attachment 608295
View attachment 608297
View attachment 608299
View attachment 608300
View attachment 608301
View attachment 608302
View attachment 608304
View attachment 608305
I used to live in Shimey Row, thats all old cycling haunts for me. Brings back some great memories

Top Bottom