Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not so much my ride today as a continuation of my ride last Wednesday after which I posted here
...the cyclist-controlled road crossing situated between two roundabouts (one of which is fortunately still under construction or I might have been there still ...) which doesn't work on one side ...
Another email to the council about the faulty crossing ...

And reporting via Lancs C.C. new-ish system worked like a charm; the crossing lights are now fixed. Would that the vegetation were cut back so quickly and the appallingly-potholed road mended so smoothly ...

bluenotebob

Veteran
The wind was from the north so I thought I’d do my Gaël/Trémorel/Illifaut loop this afternoon – against the wind for 90 mins to Trémorel then let it blow me all the way back home. 56km in almost exactly 3 hours.

I’ve had a problem with my road bike – noise when using the smaller cogs and the LBS think that I need a new cassette. The bike’s only 16 months old but with over 9400km already ridden, I expect they’re right. But the cassette is ‘not available’ from their suppliers .. so for the time being, I’m stuck with a noisy bike. But the noise disappeared after around 40km today – how strange is that? I’ll take her for another long ride tomorrow and see if it was just imagination (or wishful thinking).

The route home from Trémorel is mostly on very quiet roads – a couple of examples below.

gavgav

Guru
I’m on the second of my 2 weeks Annual Leave and up at the caravan in North West Wales. The first 2 days were incessant rain, but it’s been lovely warm sunshine for the past 2 days and so today I got out on the bike for some hill climbing. Barmouth Bridge is now closed until the end of the year, for the next stage in the major renovations, so routes down that way are very limited, meaning I headed North, to explore lots of new territory.

I set out through Dyffryn, having a fairly short wait at 3 way traffic lights and negotiating Wasp city without incident, a lane that literally attracts them by the hundreds to whatever hedge is up there, before taking the fairly quiet main road down to Llanbedr.

I then turned up the familiar lane to Pentre Gwynfryn and began the climbing, initially to the Harlech turn and it then ramps up to Rhiwgoch, with a gradient arrow. Fabulous views though.

I paused for breath and water, by the water works, then continued climbing up towards Moel Goedog. I passed a very cheery chap, sat in his garden, who gave me a lovely wave and shout of “Hello, you’re not too far from the top, keep going” :okay:. I paused to enjoy the view towards the mountains, before I would join the start of the new territory.

The road keeps climbing, to the summit point at 948ft, where I met a couple of cyclists who’d braved the climb up from the other side, which is even steeper than what I’d come up. The views at the top were simply breathtaking, over towards Snowdon in the North and down the Llyn Peninsula to Aberdaron. Well worth the climb up.

Snowdon in the distance

Next to come was the very steep descent, which is a mixture of gradient and double gradient arrows on the map, thankfully all in my favour, down to the German sounding village of Eisingrug. This was the top of the descent

I dropped near enough 1000ft in 2 miles, which was great fun, but on very narrow and bumpy lanes, meaning brakes were in use a lot and smelt warm by the time I joined the “B” road back towards Harlech! It’s a climb up Llechwedd Hill, from this direction, but nothing like Fford Pen Llech is and the castle eventually came into view at the top of the climb

The Main Street through Harlech was closed for road works, but I was able to walk the bike through the pedestrian access route and laughed at 3 cars all making bad attempts at 3 point turns, from the other direction, after clearly not believing the signs :wacko:

I then turned up another really steep climb, with gradient arrow, past the car park and on up NCN route 8, to the pretty residential part of the town, where I paused and sat on a bench to have my lunch, with another wonderful view to enjoy.

Just as I’d finished lunch, a car pulled up opposite and 3 passengers got out, with presumably the daughter almost being reversed into as she opened the boot just when the driver reversed :blink:
They approached the bench I was sat on and I said hello, when they informed me they were here to take some photos of the bench, due to some of their family names being on the memorial plaques nailed to the bench. Must have been pretty long odds of being sat there at that very moment and I chatted to them for a few minutes about their family, etc. A lovely moment really.

I then set off again and descended to Llanfair, where I joined the busy A496, but thankfully there is an off road shared use path, all the way down to Pensarn, where I was turning off onto lanes again, to take the back route into Llanbedr. As I reached the turn, I exchanged pleasantries with a couple of young ladies on bikes, who proceeded to fly past me on the climb and leave me for dust!

At Llanbedr I didn’t want to battle the main road up to Dyffryn and so decided to head up Coed Artro, through the forest, up yet another gradient arrow. It was really warm by now, but I made it up without stopping and then enjoyed the very quiet gated road up to Tyddyn y Llidiart.

The Descent down to Dyffryn is always exhilarating, spoilt a little by having to slow and pull in for 2 vehicles, before I retraced my steps back to the caravan.

A throughly enjoyable 22.48 miles, with 2220 ft of climbing and a snails crawl pace of 9.3mph avg. I think some flatter routes are called for, when I return to Shropshire, for a while, after the Lakes and Wales hills!

Last edited:
10 miles today, 5 miles out and 5 miles back, along the same route. Half of that distance was along the section of the Guild Wheel that runs alongside the Ribble; I must say the 'new' section that runs between the preserved railway and the river is most pleasant - and makes me wonder about the possibilities of a few sections of the Elbe, Donau, or other river radweg/fietspad/similar next year or the year after - as are the sections through the riverside parks. Well, I'd be happy to 'do' the Severn or the Dee - or the RIbble for that matter! - if there were quality traffic-free paths running mainly alongside them, too, for more than just a very few miles.

Sad to see the National Cycle Network/ pedestrian signposts still pointing jauntily over the old Tramway Bridge - which is now closed as a 'dangerous structure'. The Western Distributor construction wouldn't miss a few days 'labour and a few lorryloads of 'stuff' and it'd be fixed before anyone even noticed a hiccup in the Western Distributor, But no, the Kar is King and must have yet more roads laid out in front of it; it's common knowledge that it's so very easy for pedestrians and pedal cyclists to take a lengthy detour in the pouring rain when there's an appointment to keep ...

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Mrs. jg has a cold so today's planned tandem ride was binned leaving me at a loose end. Out on a single then but not too hilly as I don't want to aggravate my sciatica.

Went down Ropery Lane, passed both cricket grounds, crossed the Wear and dodged into the grounds of Lumley Castle where I took the private road behind the castle and through the golf course to emerge onto Lumley New Road. Into Lumley then two thirds of the Leamside TT circuit before turning into Black Boy Lane, following it to the end and turning into Fencehouses. Lots of traffic through here but mostly well behaved. There was some aggressive revving and some attempted dodgy overtaking at pedestrian refuges but it's a fast road and I was soon clear and on my way to Bournmoor (or Burnmoor, depending on which direction you arrive from).

Up to Shiney Row where I timed my run through the Big Scary Roundabout to perfection and made my way to Penshaw to take Cox Green Road. Quiet riding from here with more horses on the road than cars and it was time to relax a bit. Down to recross the Wear by the pedestrian bridge at Cox Green then sharp left to pick up the C2C. No more cars for the next ten miles at least.

The track is now open at Rickleton where work has been taking place on the A1(M) crossing and the graffiti artists were quick to take advantage of all that fresh concrete.

20210915_114120[1].jpg

Graffiti at Rickleton

Nothing much happened in the next ten miles; the sun shone, my wheels kept turning, there were a few pedestrians, a few other cyclists but it was a lovely relaxed pace up to Annfield Plain.
Took the route past the fishing pond where you could actually cast a line from your bike if you were clever enough. The water come right upto the roadside. From there I headed for home but stopped at Burnhope wheel to eat my sandwiches.

20210915_130952[1].jpg

The old colliery wheel at Burnhope

This is one of my favourite resting places. It reminds me of my Grandad and uncles who all worked in the pits and it's a marvellous viewpoint. As I ate my sandwiches I could see all the way to the North Yorkshire Moors.

The last five miles are mostly downhill from here and I was quickly home for a shower and a brew.

1631730809421.png

galaxy

Veteran
Mrs. jg has a cold so today's planned tandem ride was binned leaving me at a loose end. Out on a single then but not too hilly as I don't want to aggravate my sciatica.

Went down Ropery Lane, passed both cricket grounds, crossed the Wear and dodged into the grounds of Lumley Castle where I took the private road behind the castle and through the golf course to emerge onto Lumley New Road. Into Lumley then two thirds of the Leamside TT circuit before turning into Black Boy Lane, following it to the end and turning into Fencehouses. Lots of traffic through here but mostly well behaved. There was some aggressive revving and some attempted dodgy overtaking at pedestrian refuges but it's a fast road and I was soon clear and on my way to Bournmoor (or Burnmoor, depending on which direction you arrive from).

Up to Shiney Row where I timed my run through the Big Scary Roundabout to perfection and made my way to Penshaw to take Cox Green Road. Quiet riding from here with more horses on the road than cars and it was time to relax a bit. Down to recross the Wear by the pedestrian bridge at Cox Green then sharp left to pick up the C2C. No more cars for the next ten miles at least.

The track is now open at Rickleton where work has been taking place on the A1(M) crossing and the graffiti artists were quick to take advantage of all that fresh concrete.

View attachment 609334
Graffiti at Rickleton

Nothing much happened in the next ten miles; the sun shone, my wheels kept turning, there were a few pedestrians, a few other cyclists but it was a lovely relaxed pace up to Annfield Plain.
Took the route past the fishing pond where you could actually cast a line from your bike if you were clever enough. The water come right upto the roadside. From there I headed for home but stopped at Burnhope wheel to eat my sandwiches.

View attachment 609337
The old colliery wheel at Burnhope

This is one of my favourite resting places. It reminds me of my Grandad and uncles who all worked in the pits and it's a marvellous viewpoint. As I ate my sandwiches I could see all the way to the North Yorkshire Moors.

The last five miles are mostly downhill from here and I was quickly home for a shower and a brew.

View attachment 609338
More of old cycling areas when i was a Member of the Houghton CC

Alex321

Veteran
I needed to call in Specsavers Cowbridge today, to pick up new contact lenses, so decided to do one of my shorter regular routes in reverse.
https://www.strava.com/activities/5965145897
1631737510811.png

Headed into Cowbridge on the A4222, stopped on te high street for the lenses, then continued on, turning left up Llantwit Major Road, past Clare "Garden Village" development.
Up towards the Cross Inn, then turn right towards Llysworney. At Llytsworney, dropped down past the "ducks crossing sign, and out to Colwinston.
From Colwinston, out to the A48, turn left to the top of Crack hill, then Right, and down the hill towards Langan.
After Langan, turn Left by the School, then right at the top, head down through the woods and out towards City.
Turn Right in City, through Llansannor, up the hill to the farm, turn right down the hill, then left past the stables and back hoje past the church.

Didn't stop for photos, and didn't even have the GoPro on today.

AndreaJ

Veteran
After waiting for the school traffic and the mist to disappear I had enough time for a longer ride. As it was still a bit cooler I decided that I needed a long sleeve jersey which turned out to be a mistake.
Set off a roundabout sort of way to Nonely via Ossage Lane, Horton and Commonwood then across to Myddle. Up the hill hoping that all the recent road closures had gone so that I could go down Lower Road to Merrington. No road closed signs so carried on to Merrington and Old Woods before turning off to Fennemere and Eyton. It was turning into a bright sunny day and getting a bit warm and I had foolishly undone the zip on my jersey a bit, I felt something crawling down my top and without bothering to look what it was or stop I just removed it, unfortunately it was a wasp and I got stung 😢, I really don’t like wasps! After checking there was nothing else crawling down my top I carried on to Baschurch passing the infamous local naked cyclist by the village hall, luckily the local police have persuaded him that he needs to wear clothes although he still doesn’t wear shoes!
Turned off to Stanwardine, Bagley and Lee then turned down the lane past Whitemere for a change which has had some pothole repairs done since I was last down here, crossed the road at Spunhill to go past the nature reserve to Colemere, Pikes End and Lyneal. Carried on to Hampton Bank, Northwood and home. 35.2 miles. A few other cyclists out today and quite a few people walking, luckily not when I was removing wasps from places they didn’t need to be!
C08F7753-8E8B-4260-B722-77E5247353D5.jpeg

7AC00A2C-6014-4E89-B065-674609499B14.jpeg

jongooligan

Legendary Member
More of old cycling areas when i was a Member of the Houghton CC

Know a few of the old Houghton lads. Can still remember Tommy Thomson coming through on the chain gang pouring with sweat and puffing like a tug boat. He would have been mid sixties at the time. Also remember sharing a few pints with some of them in the shoes up at Leamside on Sunday afternoons.

I was in Cestria CC but moved to Ferryhill Wheelers when the Cestria club runs got really boring.

Alex321

Veteran
makes me wonder about the possibilities of a few sections of the Elbe, Donau, or other river radweg/fietspad/similar next year or the year after - as are the sections through the riverside parks. Well, I'd be happy to 'do' the Severn or the Dee - or the RIbble for that matter! - if there were quality traffic-free paths running mainly alongside them, too, for more than just a very few miles.

Definitely good for cycling along significant parts of the Donau (Danube in English). We went on a river cruise up the Danube from Budapest a couple of years ago, and they had electric bikes on board we could use. One day one of the excursions was a case of leaving the boat in the morning and cycling along the river to meet it again late afternoon. In Vienna, I took one of the bikes and cycled round half of the Donauinsel island which has good bike paths all round and is pretty well traffic free - though if nudity bothers you, then you have to be careful which routes you take, as the paths go straight through some naturist areas.

Old jon

Guru
Sunshine this morning, best take advantage of that and pedal away. Take the fixed, just because. Which I suppose is the reason I bought it.

And ride off to the Armouries to take the path downriver to Woodlesford. This was not a busy path today, surprisingly. Six cyclists and maybe twice that many walkers, most with a dog or several. The walkers that is. Riding into a low and dazzling sun most of the way, leaving the towpath and turning east was a relief.

Through Swillington, check out the wind turbines at the top of the final rise on the way to Garforth. Not turning at all. Around the north of that town, cross the railway line and continue along the A642. And here is a thing. Cars were overtaking me, not a problem. Another rider in front of me, flat bars, Ortlieb panniers, the ones with the odd shaped reflector. Every car slowed, paused, even waited, before passing him. I slowed a bit until all the cars had gone by, then passed him. Why did the drivers change behaviour like that?

Anyway, around that roundabout above the M1 and carry on to the gates of Lotherton Hall. Cannot ride far east of Leeds without passing these. Turn left to go to Aberford, stop at the crest of the rise, it must be time to eat. Through the village, another left turn onto Cattle Lane and a reminder that the year is ageing. After the last house along here the road dips and before the next rise there is a view up the valley to my right front. All the colours of autumn up that way, still some green, but every colour on the way to deep purpley black as well. Good to see.

A couple more lumps on the way to Barwick in Elmet, turn left at the maypole, the road rises gently before the descent to Scholes. Cross the A64, a staggered crossing onto Thorner Lane, and there is a sign. ‘Thorner Lane permanently closed on 23/09/2021.’ and a promise that pedestrians and cyclists will still be able to use it. Have to go and see, sometime.

Along soon-to-be-closed Thorner Lane then, and ride through the village on the way to Carr Lane.

Which was busy. The locals, maybe? Checking out the soon to be preferred journey to Leeds? Not enough Carr Lane to cope with much more traffic, thinks I. So, the A58 is next, turn to Leeds. Exhilaration is provided twiddling down that hill, but not the fastest descent on fixed. I might have been tired. Through Oakwood and down Roundhay Road in the direction of the city centre.

Cross the Aire at Crown Point Bridge, and cross my outward track soon after. Then a wander through a bit of Hunslet and to home. Big grin, easy ride. Thirty two miles and close to fourteen hundred feet of upness in spot on weather. Great stuff!

Sort of directions, and a third dimension too . . .

16092021.jpg

1609elev.jpg

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Been on holiday since Tuesday, Tuesday it rained all day so didn't get out, Wednesday I had to wait for a courier who didn't turn up until gone six, so no ride then. So come what may I was going out today.

Alarm goes off at 06:00, I leap out of bed, it's a bit dark outside. A couple of slices of toast and a cup of tea and I'm ready to go at 06:50ish. 101 miles is the plan.

Out the door and the plan is to head into the wind (though it was very light anyway) and head straight to Warwick, first 12 or 13 miles are pretty mundane, but then I hit mist which I had to ride through for a good 12 miles, being a specs wearer this is a right royal pain, after stopping several times to clear the glasses I started just looking over them, which doesn't really help as I'm blind as a bat so I couldn't see where I was going nor read the map on the Garmin.

I get to Bretford and the bridge over the River Avon is closed, I'll be buggered if I know the way around it, so I ask the workman if I can walk through. They were great and let me through, they were repairing the brickwork on the bridge.

As I go through the Ryton on Dunsmore the mist finally clears and I'm on the busy A445 heading towards Royal Leamington Spa, not one car wanted to wait whilst it was clear ahead to come by, I was glad when I turned off to go through Cubbington.

I hit Warwick in time for the school run, so that was pretty slow going, but I'm eventually through the other side, over the M40 and into Barford. Again I need to cross the River Avon, this time the bridge is open and as I go over it, there is the biggest heron siting on the bank.

I then head north west and along some fantastic tiny roads with next to no traffic and even though I seem to be climbing all the time it is nothing to strenuous. I arrive at the first cafe stop at 53 miles, Manor tea rooms in Earlswood. I'm not hungry so just have a latte, knowing that I've got a McDonalds if I need it 25 miles further down the line.

Out the cafe and down the worst road I've ridden for a long time, it looked like it had been used for bombing practice. Luckily it is a quiet road and I can avoid all the bomb craters.

I then hit road closure number 2, again I ignore the signs and see how far I can get, no workers at all and I get through with no issues. A few miles later and I'm on the outskirts of Solihull, which is my turning point to start heading east and back towards Leicester.

I then hit road closure number three, they are re surfacing the road, luckily I can ride on the pavement, but they last over a mile so it is slow going.

I reach the outskirts of Coventry on 70ish miles and I'm feeling great and making good time and I decide I will stop at the McDonalds for some food and also extend the ride. I completely missed the McDonalds but rather than turn round and find it I decided to carry on, I was now 24 miles from Leicester and still not hungry.

Before I know it I'm back at Brinklow, which I'd gone through 60 miles ago, and heading pretty much due north towards Leicester. At 94 miles I turn the route off and decide to go freestyle and head towards Leicester Forest East to visit the best corner shop in the world (The Premier Express shop on the main road.) I get there on 101 miles and have a can of coke, an ice cream, and a bottle of water to refill a bottle.

I then go through Kirby Muxloe, Ratby, Groby and Anstey, up to Cropston and take the scenic route to Cossington. Once at Cossington I jump onto the towpath and enjoy some flat milesthrough Watermead Park before getting to the outskirts of Leicester. I am now getting hungry and needing a rest so stop at the Red Hill Circle McDonalds for a burger and a coffee. I've done 120 miles and now I've stopped I realise how blooming warm it is.

Once the leisurely break is over it is time to head home, I roll in at 15:45, which is perfect timing as our lass finishes work around then, I walk in the house and she is already home.

127 miles in the bag, that is my 50th 200km ride, I'd been stuck on 49 since October 2019 and it was beginning to annoy me so once I realised I had the time to reach it today I was going to do it.

A cracking ride that I thoroughly enjoyed, I think I'm starting to get my mojo back.

1631809919496.png

https://www.strava.com/activities/5969890059#kudos

bluenotebob

Veteran
Loaded the road bike into the van at mid-day, drove to Mauron and then I rode S down Britanny’s V3 Voie Verte. I had the Voie Verte to myself for the first 18km – not a soul about – the joys of cycling in France at lunch-time..

I wanted to check if the derailleur problems I’d been experiencing recently had really gone away. Yes: the bike is pretty well silent now – what have I got? – a self-healing bicycle? It’s bizarre ..

Over the canalised river Oust at the Pont des-deux-Rivières (photo below looking E towards Montertelot), up to Malestroit, down to the Claie (where I’m sure I saw a kingfisher) and then up to the old railway station at Pleucadeuc. A quick bite to eat then I turned round and headed back to Mauron. The return was much busier .. lots of cyclists and dog-walkers enjoying some September sunshine.

86km in 4.5 hours and another qualifying ride in this year’s Annual Lunacy Challenge ticked-off.

Top Bottom