Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
Got to say that the lanes around here are some of the most pleasant for cycling on. Scenic but with hedges to keep you sheltered from the wind. Mostly traffic free but when you do come across drivers they're courteous - haven't had a close pass all week. There's a good mix a flat roads and some steep hills if you're up for it. Thoroughly recommend this area for cycling.
Totally agree, we are really lucky here in Worcs being able to plot long routes that hardly have any traffic, but provide great sights. I am glad you enjoyed it, do you think you will come back?

Brandane

Legendary Member
No more supermarket raspberries for us.
Off topic, but have you tried Lidl or Aldi raspberries and strawberries? They are much nicer than the "big 4" supermarkets. The difference is apparently that Lidl/Aldi don't freeze them between the farm and the shop. The big 4 do.

Alex321

Veteran
Last day in the Severn Valley for us and although the clouds were draped across the Malverns like tattered curtains I needed to get out on a mission. That mission was to get some raspberries from Clive's fruit farm. Mrs. jg had brought some back yesterday and they were the most delicious I'd eaten since I was a boy. No more supermarket raspberries for us.

I took a roundabout route though and really enjoyed it despite the frequent showers. The rain was refreshing rather than draining and helped keep me cool in the steamy warmth.

Got to say that the lanes around here are some of the most pleasant for cycling on. Scenic but with hedges to keep you sheltered from the wind. Mostly traffic free but when you do come across drivers they're courteous - haven't had a close pass all week. There's a good mix a flat roads and some steep hills if you're up for it. Thoroughly recommend this area for cycling.

View attachment 608393
The route.

There weren't any raspberries left when I got to Clive's so I got four bottles of Wobblejuice cider instead. It's completely opaque.
I've never cycled that area, but I know Clive's fruit farm near Upton quite well :smile:

One of daughters lives in Worcester, and we have been there a number of times with her and her kids.

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
Yet another ride (well, my second ever) over 20mph (20.26mph) … well chuffed - but it was making me wince at times with the effort. Glorious weather though, sunny and bright :sun:

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Muggy. A bit of breeze, open doors and windows and things cool down. Ride the Spa away from home, quickly enough for a draught but slow enough not to sweat.

Worked well, until the bottom of Roundhay Road. Yup, from the bottom, you go up and that is more effort. So I sweated. Up the side of Potternewton Park, more up to the Queen’s Arms, then a bit more up to Moortown Corner. Quite a distance to sweat. There is the reward, of course. A mostly flat road to Slaid Hill and then downhill most of the way to East Keswick. I do like that bit.

On to Collingham, and a left turn to cross the River Wharfe at Linton. A jogger was faster than me on that steep bit after the bridge. Into Wetherby next and find the shared path to Thorp Arch trading estate. Only one missed turning, soon put right. Came to a road, at the far side the path was fenced off. Left turn, a bit of following my nose to the other shared path that goes to Newton Kyme, crossing the Wharfe again on the way.

A very short length of the A659 takes me to the right turn to Toulston. Just looked at the OS map, this road is Rudgate, I never knew it went so far south. Anyway, follow this as far as the right turn that passes Tadcaster Grammar School, on the way to Bramham. There seemed to be a bit of extra breeze in my face, riding along here. Miss the village, cross above the A1 M then take the more direct route to Thorner. The heave up out of Wothersome Dip is still a test for tired legs.

Carr Lane to the A58 might have been a bit busier than usual, Wetherby Road was about average. Down Boot Hill and turn right to ride past the clock at Oakwood. More descending, all the way to Crown Point Bridge, I have to cross the river somehow and the Spa does not swim. And I forgot to mention, it is a year and a day since I rode the Spa for the first time. The end of the ride, at my front door, gave me a lot to smile about, and thirty eight miles of enjoyable riding too. Eighteen hundred feet uphill, must be the same going down. A good one.

Side to side, and ups and downs . . .

10092021.jpg

1009elev.jpg

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Totally agree, we are really lucky here in Worcs being able to plot long routes that hardly have any traffic, but provide great sights. I am glad you enjoyed it, do you think you will come back?

Definiteley. Already booked Blackmore site for 1st week in October. I'm doing other stuff in the area that week but I'll be bringing a bike for when I'm free.

Mike_P

Guru
A very short length of the A659 takes me to the right turn to Toulston. Just looked at the OS map, this road is Rudgate, I never knew it went so far south.
Roman Road 280 Hazlewood to Whixley detailed here http://roadsofromanbritain.org/gazetteer/yorkshire/rr280.html
Interesting that its says its presumed to have crossed the Wharfe at a ford although assumes a bridge existed as that quashed the thoughts I have always had over what appears to a bridge abutment which can be seen looking north east off the NCNs crossing. Suppose alternatively it might have been a tipping point of materials into a boat although today the Wharfe is only navigable below Tadcaster and may never have been on this stretch.

ianbarton

Veteran
I get to Nantwich in good time with a slight following wind from the N and E. Overcast, but not unpleasantly cold. I take the Whitchurch road and continue to Whitchurch rather than to Audlem via Coole Pilate. Despite spells of heavy traffic with a lot of trucks they leave me alone and give me a wide berth and I make steady if unspectacular progress. I get to the series of bypasses around Whitchuch but due to the pressure of vehicles get diverted on to the Telford road and have to waste some time waiting for a gap in the dense traffic and a suitable place to turn back. Fortunately once on the A49 to Shrewsbury things settle down, a good wide road and steady but not frenetic traffic. The wide open landscape and following wind help a lot.
What made you stick to the A49? It's almost suicidal on a bike. There are country lanes on either side of the road between Nantwich and Whitchurch. There is an NCN route that keeps to minor roads from Whitchurch to Shrewsbury.

geocycle

Legendary Member
A ride on a Saturday is unusual for me. Generally busy with family things and recovering from work. But, as I should have been watching the cancelled test match today in Manchester, the diary was empty and the jobs list short. So, I decided on a flattish ride with 712m of climbing up the valley of the Kent to near Kendal. Got wet a few times and the wind was a nagging 14mph westerly. Nevertheless, a lovely 45 mile ride with some nice early autumn colour. Highlight was probably lunch at Levens Hall, first bowl of soup for several weeks and the rather wonderful courgette and lime cake they do there.

Last edited:

ianbarton

Veteran
Yesterday's loop through Wem was a lucky escape. The weather forecast showed good weather in the morning, but scattered showers in the afternoon. I could see some big black clouds when I set off, but the rain held off. I stopped off at the Library Cafe in Wem for a leisurely lunch. When I emerged from the cafe there were still patches of blue sky. I set off up the hill through Lowe and on towards Whixall. I followed the B road for a short distance before turning towards the train station at Prees. From the centre of Prees there is a short steep climb to the church where I turned left and dropped down the hill to cross the very busy A41.

When I reached Milleneheath the road was very wet, although it wasn't raining. The puddles continued all the way through Ightfield, although there were big patches of blue sky. It looked as though I had been lucky enough to miss a heavy storm.

57km and 347 metres of climbing and decent.

vlcsnap-2021-09-11-14h29m19s011.png

Yes, it's hedge cutting season!

vlcsnap-2021-09-11-14h31m52s695.png

Wem

10_09_21 - A bik.png

a.twiddler

Veteran
What made you stick to the A49? It's almost suicidal on a bike. There are country lanes on either side of the road between Nantwich and Whitchurch. There is an NCN route that keeps to minor roads from Whitchurch to Shrewsbury.
The Thanatos strong in this one is. Well no, actually. Although I've been along that stretch of the A49 many times over the years, it has usually been with a lot more kilowatts at my disposal. At certain times of day I would certainly keep well off it but at other times I have wondered how it would be on a bike because as a direct route it seems pretty good. Once I was on the A49 the traffic gave me plenty of room ("the recumbent effect"?) and I had no hairy moments. Alarmingly for me, perhaps I was the most scary/eccentric thing on the road at that time. I was more concerned about my excursion on to the A530 between Nantwich and Whitchurch as it is narrow, winding and often has a lot of traffic. Again, no problems. I did pull over once into the entrance of a bread factory to let a following truck and its procession of cars pass, which seemed to be appreciated.

I did think about weaving my way through the lanes via Wrenbury and Wem, and even the NCN route but not having used them before, and having previous experiences of NCN routes taking me all around the houses and up unnecessary hills, I kept any diversions in reserve in case the A49 proved too unpleasant. I may not be a a record munching speed freak, but I did have some miles to cover. Fortunately, that part of the journey worked out OK.

Mr Celine

Discordian
After going to watch the TOB with Mrs Celine and an old friend at Firestane Edge and Stow (by car) I felt suitably inspired to go out for an afternoon ride. This included part of today's route, but going the other direction over the Berrybush on the off chance of finding a bidon. No such luck, any that had been discarded must have been picked up by the clean up crew.
By the time I'd got there it had brightened up, if still a bit breezy, enough to get a PR on the descent while barely pedalling.
This is the view down Ettrickdale on the way home, with a stonking tail wind -

The map-
1631386103408.png

43.4 miles @15.4mph, 691m up.

Set out early doors this morning for my annual “fish n’ chips run” over to Skeg Vegas.

A half decent half tailwind pushed me along through the flats of Lincolnshire in beautiful sunny weather. The lumps and bumps of the 3,000ft of climbing always comes in the first 30 odd miles as I cross the Vale of Belvoir, this time towards Grantham. Once into Lincolnshire the elevation graph flatlines!
Picked up Ingoldmells en route as well much to my displeasure due to the clientele that frequents it but it is always a good way to make sure I get a ton in when riding out there, as direct to Skeggy is often under this figure. Met Mrs Noodle Legs out there and drove back with her as opposed to catching the train back. For her trouble I did treat her to fish n chips however which scored me a few brownie points!

Quite a pacey one today by my standards, the terrain and wind enabling me to finish in under five and a half hours.

A grand day out.

Top Bottom