Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Our club's "Super Sunday" extra long ride for the month today. Up through Gloucester and Ledbury and into Herefordshire before the big climb of the day up through Upper Colwall to British Camp in the Malvern Hills. I suffered on the climbs, but made it without doing the walk of shame. That couldn't be said of the next climb .... after dropping down past Eastnor Castle, crossing a ford and then doing a series of relentless little climbs over the foothills of the Malverns. I got off and pushed twice. On the way back to Gloucester I was struggling to stick with the group pace, so I said my goodbyes and rested up at the bird hide at Ashleworth. Saw a quite entertaining turf war between a heron and an egret at the water's edge. (The heron won). I was hoping to buy a takeaway drink at the cafe at Ashleworth Hub, but the place had just closed when I got there. Took the gentle way home along the cycle path from Maisemore to Quedgeley, arriving home pretty knackered having done 71.2 miles (114.6km). That's my Metric Century-a-Month Challenge ride done for September, and my 12th so far this year. Sorry. No photos. (Spent most of the ride trying to keep up!).

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Decided to fulfil a promise to the youngest to hit the trails today. I’d had enough of number crunching on Zwift and road riding didn’t appeal so we set off to nearby Hicks Lodge for a spot of MTB. This was literally the first time I’d ridden one in about 25 years and it didn’t disappoint. It was so much fun!
It was a bit mizzly and drizzly to start as we warmed up along the green trail but found it to be quite refreshing! Before long we’d done the green and were ready to up the ante and hit the blue trail View attachment 609974
View attachment 609975

After stopping for a little drink we went for it, and it was technical from the get go, jumps, berms and loose gravel! This was also when the boy’s promises that I would be left for dead began to fall apart as it turns out that resuming MTB after such a long hiatus was like, well, riding a bike! And the gap began to open up between us. That was ok though as I was able to have the camera ready for some action shots…
View attachment 609976

View attachment 609977

View attachment 609978

View attachment 609979

Before long we’d finished the 4 1/4 mile long route….

View attachment 609980

….and having time to kill we did it all again!
View attachment 609981
The GPS tracking on my watch cut short as negotitiating a jump midway through the first lap automatically sent an SOS text to the wife. It obviously thought I’d fell off but I managed to let her know I was okay. The second attempt at tracking went without a hitch.
Second lap of the blue trail done, it was time to head back to the cafe though not before a cheeky lap around the nearby lake….
View attachment 609982

View attachment 609983

Biking done, we hit the cafe and tucked into a bit of cake before heading home. Just 12.6 miles done today but so much fun! Definitely making the investment into my own MTB on the back of that. And it was so good to get away from Zwift for a bit and the boring number crunching trying to train to be something I’m not.
thought i recognized it :smile:
just got back , rode there after my club ride with mini ck 1 , another 18 miles after my 64 earlier

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Ten years later than I'd planned. 610038

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Great weekend. Rode to my caravan with @Hacienda71 and @I like Skol on saturday, and back today. 150 mile round trip. My longest for many years, and massive miles for me since my broken spine. Happy to say I made it ok, and my back is fine. Legs are a bit sore. Fantastic pace there and back courtesy of the lads pulling like steam trains. 17mph there and 16.5 back. Just 10 mins slower on way back, despite rain for the first half.

Had a good stop off for food both ways and a slap up meal last night in 'the phoenix club' (caravan site club - not its real name...). Pub first for pool, then club restaurant for food. We made a sharp exit as the bingo card sales came out in the club and went back to play on the pool table in the pub. For some reason, our Pool skills had failed us during the time in the club :whistle:.

bruce1530

Guru
Today was the "Round Stra'ven 50". I decided at the last minute to enter,

It's a 50 mile route, starting and finishing in Strathaven, and looping round the various villages around the town. All for charity - from the entry fees and donations they raise about 10k a year, which gets distributed to local charities. So the charities were out in force, with the round table and rotary people on points duty at all the main junctions, the Guides manning the feed stations, the motorbike club acting as Marshalls etc.

Normally about 500 people do the ride, with a "Mass Start" outside Strathaven Academy. This year, we started in"waves" - 150 people at 9am, 10am, 11am. There was also a 15 mile shorter course, with starts at 12 and 1.

I was on the 11.00 start. As I drove through, the heavens opened. I thought "this is madness".... but pushed on, there was a tiny blue chink in the sky.

Arrived in Strathaven just after 10, parked in the long stay car park at the other side of the town, and the rain was off! Things might be OK after all. I don't mind if the rain comes on when I'm riding, but I hate starting out in the rain.

Got to the school, checked in, and about 10 to 11 we were called out to the road behind the school to assemble for the start. And it started raining....

Underway at 11, slow start as the road was busy with bikes, and it's an uphill climb out of the town. Lots of people passing others for the first 2 miles until people reach their "natural pace", after that there was very little overtaking.

Still raining. About 5 miles out of the town, there's a road joins from the right, which would be our eventual route back home; just as we passed it the leaders from the 9.00 start were passing, nearly home.

Soaked through, to be honest it was pretty miserable riding, but a good spirit among the riders. We're heading west towards Darvel, and then turn left, South past Loudon Hill.

Cross the main road near Loudon Hill, then farm roads towards Drumclog. Heading East now, and there's a lightness in the sky. Maybe the rain will stop.

20 miles, come down the hill into Sandford, to the first feed stop.

The Strathaven ride advertises itself as something like "the friendliest bike ride in Scotland, with the best cakes". And the cakes were good. Covid restrictions meant that we couldn't go inside the village hall (other than to use the toilets), but they were set up outside with sausage rolls, sausages, sandwiches and more cakes than you could imagine.

And the rain stopped! I kept the wet-weather jacket on, just in case.

Fuelled up with sausage rolls and chocolate brownies, back on the road. Uphill, farm roads, eventually ending up in Stonehouse. From there, it was a gentle uphill then a steep descent to Larkhall, tight left turn at the bottom of the hill then a steep climb. Quite a few people turned right, went along for a few hundred yards, then turned to "take a run at the hill".

It was a slog uphill, but soon we're at mile 32 - the second cake stop in Glassford. Same setup - juice, water, sausgages and sausage rolls, and still a great selection of cakes.

And the sun had come out, the roads were dry. The wet weather jacket came off.

Back on the road, Chapelton, with a few long flat roads and some gently undulating. Then a bit that I'd forgotten about - a fairly sharp climb up to the wind farm. There was an extra feed station (just water, juice and Caramel Logs!) just before that climb. After that it was a great descent, and mostly downhill all the way back to Strathaven.

For the last few miles, the route was shared with the 15 mile course, so lots of young kids and families out. Great to see their enthusiasm,

Finally, back to Strathaven Academy for the finish. And Coffee. And More Cakes.

1632084192340.png

Last edited:

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Hull to Driffield and back, first time I've really gone out without a pre planned map.
Every planned ride the last few weeks has been cancelled for various reasons. Been suffering with man flu the last few days but decided to still get out, slow and steady and pretty sure I was gonna throw up at one point but still a great day out.
Fell asleep in the bath and currently nursing a lemsip :okay:

Old jon

Guru
Bright again, the weather that is. And I do want to go for a ride, so I take the Spa out of the shed, check that bits are working and ride away. Into the rush hour, ‘cos I was later than usual starting the day.

No rush, plenty of traffic moving slowly or not at all. Mental note not to try this again and by the time I reached the Oakwood Clock things had calmed considerably. Aim for Moortown Corner and from there go to Slaid Hill. It feels like it has been a while since I rode all the way to East Keswick, so I did just that. The only stretch of A659 of the ride took me to Collingham where I turned left to cross the Wharfe at Linton.

Not far from there to Wetherby, where I stopped to eat. And to take a photo of the Spa leaning against the town hall. But the phone would not play, or maybe I am phone illiterate. Whichever, no photo today. So, Collingham next and the left turn to climb Jewitt Lane. First bit went well, and the final step to Compton Lane felt good too. So I turned right onto Compton Lane and found that to be busy. Most unusual.

East Rigton next, easy riding with gap-in-hedges views on the way and after leaving. Take Milner Lane at the junction, and ride all the way to Thorner. A bit of traffic and confusion on Carr Lane takes me to the A58 and the left turn to point towards Leeds. Return home via Oakwood and Crown Point Bridge, a small corner of Hunslet and across the motorway takes me almost to my front door. Thirty three miles in perfect riding weather, a smidge more than 1900 feet of climbing and a smile all add up to a very good morning’s ride.

And the garthing amused itself . . .

21092021.jpg

2109elev.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday's ride: With a nice day forecast I took the chance to get out and rack up another Lunacy Challenge qualifier. Being planned at short notice I went for what I knew would be fairly easy riding terrain and would take advantage of the forecast wind direction (westerly changing to a north-westerly during the morning).

To start with I was on the same roads as last time: over Lyth Hill to Hunger Hill then through Plealey, Pontesbury and Minsterley before joining the road through Horsebridge. The short stint on the A49 was a little busier than last time and I was thankful that where I want to turn off it is easy to get off the road and wait for a gap in the traffic. The lanes were busyish like last time through to Pontesbury, but nothing that caused me any hassle. Riding into Pontesbury there was a hoot of a horn from traffic coming up behind me - I thought it pretty rude but also thought I'd rather not have someone like that up my tail, so pulled in at the next junction. Looking behind me I then saw a sheepish looking lorry driver making gestures to say "it wasn't me".:laugh: It was just as well I pulled in anyhow as it was a long stream of vehicles that came past.

It was somewhat quieter after that lot had gone and apart from one impatient driver the riding was very pleasant. I took my usual route to Westbury, headed through Halfway House and dropped down the Hill to Prince's Oak and Coedwy on my way to Melverley where a snack stop was taken and the warm layers I'd started in were removed. I had remembered some suncream this time.

I was heading to Maesbrook next which is all on pretty flat roads allowing for a nice steady cruising speed to be maintained. I met a tractor with hedge cutter just after my turning for The Wood but fortunately they were only just starting to cut. There were plenty of recent hedge cuttings in other places to make up for that though. I passed through Woolston, West Felton and Grimpo with a group of ramblers in the road the only obstacle. A ding of the bell was much appreciated apparently.^_^

On the wider road after Rednal I got a good overtake off a Polish registered lorry which then proceeded at not much more than my pace - I think the driver may have been a bit nervous of how much room he had. Heading for Tetchill my progress got baulked slightly by an escaped cow that was wandering up the road and making a point of preventing anyone from overtaking her. My thought was to stop at the next farm and let someone know about it but a driver who also got held up beat me to it.

Usually I'd go into Ellesmere but this time took a lane I rarely use to head for Lee then Whitemere and Colemere. This was the right choice today as the lakes looked lovely in the sunshine. Carrying on through Lyneal the wind was picking up a bit and had shifted round more to the north as predicted. Good news as I should have it helping pretty much all the way home from here. I headed for Northwood then took the quieter way through Lowe heading for Wem. I stopped for another snack by the church before tackling the climb to Palms Hill then making my way to Shawbury. The road over Palms Hill appears to have been surface dressed fairly recently and it's awful :sad:; about two miles of a surface that made it feel like everything on the bike was rattling. I was glad to cross the A53 and get onto the "unimproved" road to Shawbury. I was getting some very pleasing cruising speeds along this section and that continued on the way to Roden then Rodington Heath. I was slightly unimpressed when preparing to overtake a couple of horses to have the driver behind shoot past me and them at speed.:dry:

There were a few cyclists about round Withington and Upton Magna. I managed to catch and overtake one on the way to Atcham - he probably wasn't really trying but it made me feel good anyway.:laugh: I took the usual way through Cross Houses, Berrington and Condover and had a fairly clear run on the last bit to home.

70.4 miles at 14.3 mph average making this my longest and quickest challenge ride of the year so far. I really enjoyed that one.

An atmospheric view to the Wrekin from Lyth Hill at the start.

On the way to Prince's Oak.

Snack stop just after Melverley.

Ellesmere College as seen from the road to Lee.

Whitemere.

Colemere.

Wem.

Moreton Corbet Castle.

Shawbury.

gavgav

Guru
Back at work after 2 weeks Annual Leave and already in desperate need of a ride to stave off the blues! So I got out in the lovely warm evening sunshine, heading over to Dad’s, on one of my regular short routes.

I began by heading through Meole village, encountering the pillock of the ride, who had to follow me through the narrow one way system and then in between parked cars, which he clearly didn’t enjoy, as he then stormed past me and pulled straight across to the left, to pull up. I just shook my head at him.

The main road through Hook a Gate and Annscroft was very busy, plus there are yet another 2 sets of temporary traffic lights to contend with.

The lane through Longden, to Stapleton was also busy, so I was quite glad to get to dad’s and sit in the garden for a 45 minute chat. I then set back out to Gonsal and Condover, before meeting every vehicle you could possibly contend with on Lyons Lane. Why was everywhere so busy this evening?

Thankfully the last section through Betton Abbots was quieter and the beginnings of a lovely sunset were starting to appear over in the direction of Wales.

14.89 miles at 13.2mph avg.

gavgav

Guru
I rarely ride in the evening, I’m tired after work, but today I knew I needed some fresh air and endorphins! 11 miles, nothing fancy, but a glorious sunset was exactly what I wanted! Reminded me why I love cycling. View attachment 610300
Well done for getting out. I often find the tiredness from work tends to dissipate a bit when I get out on the bike and the endorphins definitely help.

a.twiddler

Veteran
I used to find this -a circular problem. Too tired to go out, couldn't face checking over the bike, pumping up the tyres etc and more to do the longer I left it. But when I did make the effort, it felt so good so I'd keep it up for a while, then get into a rut again until I could re motivate myself and get going again. I found it was easier if I kept my bike stuff handy somewhere, and the bike ready to go.

Not behind the stuff that piles up in your shed or garage, (a mental and physical obstacle) so on a nice day you could think, "I'll go out" and then just do it before all the reasons that like to stop you have time to gang up on you.

Top Bottom