Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
@Jon George I completely agree and as a nurse I should know better :wacko:.
This being said my mental health has been suffering recently with cycling one of the main tools to boost it so balanced the two and i had no other 'below the neck' symptoms whilst riding.
Once I felt nauseous we cut the ride short, had plenty of rest stops and took it very steady home.
Its not something I would ever make a habit of but needed it.
Thanks for the input though, good to know people care 😊

geocycle

Legendary Member
Been constrained by caring duties for the last fortnight. Managed a 12 miler most days to get a breather but no long rides. Today we agreed I could do a 2h ‘time trial’ so did a 25 mile loop up Littledale with 460m of climbing. Bit mizzly but still warm and great to be out. Here‘s a shot with some nice autumn colours.

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Out on the Roubaix at 10am with David and Suzanne from our village and a meet up with Jamie who had ridden over from York. We cycled to Wetherby, Collingham, Thorner, Barwick, Aberford and Saxton where Suzanne headed home. On to Church Fenton where we planned to stop at the cafe on the airfield, unfortunately it was closed!
A quick ride to Cawood holiday park for an alternative coffee stop. Caffeined up we headed out to Naburn, pretty much riding flat out all the way, loads of wind assisted Strava PB’s👍
We said goodbye to Jamie who continued to York and the two of us headed home via Acaster Malbis, Bolton Percy and Tadcaster.
56.67 miles with an average of 17mph. Fab ride out!

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Another local Cc cafe ride today . A couple of riders did big rides yesterday but we should have the 4 of us again . Out the door at 0800 for a few extra miles set off on my St Bernards loop when I realised I'd forgotten my mask for the cafe so cut short the standard loop after the 2nd climb to head back home to pick up a mask then on to Quorn to the Meeting point . A quick stop at Rothley to chat to a work mate waiting for his ride buddies . Got to Quorn to find @Supersuperleeds waiting who had also been out early for extra despite doing an imperial ton yesterday . We were soon joined by @tallliman who had come the hilly way from home after a few minutes @Noodle Legs rolled in .We enquired how his legs were after his hilly peak District ride yesterday . Were soon on our way ,Mountsorrel ,Sileby ,Seagrave and up the climb of Berrycott lane .I stopped for a call of nature as the others rode on as I rode quicker to catch up I caught the group at a faster pace so it seemed a good idea to attack them :rolleyes: ,@Supersuperleeds Responded straight away the other played the sensible option and didn't play . The rest of the climb was spent attacking from me and @Supersuperleeds until we decided it was silly and a truce was declared . On to the cafe ,Nice Pie a nice leisurely stop chatting away and we realised it's 2 years ago that we were up in Harrogate at the world champs . We decided on the return route down the Wreake valley knowing it's a probably a headwind waiting for us . A bit more silly racing up hills and downhill soon found back at Cossington . We stopped for a chat before parting company and planned for next month's ride ,@tallliman and @Noodle Legs went left towards Loughborough me and @Supersuperleeds went straight before he turned off to head home via the cyclepaths of Watermead park . I had worked out I was 1.5 miles short of a metric ton so a slightly extended route home bagged me 64 miles ,@tallliman racked up 40 ,@Noodle Legs 54 and @Supersuperleeds Out did all of us again with 76 miles . Another cracking ride in good company chatting away and a bit of completely pointless racing :laugh: but it's all good fun

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
One look at the ride profile on @stoatsngroats' post upthread and I'm jealous. I was out on our weekly club ride again today and we took on the Cotswolds. I lost. Made it up the big climb up the escarpment via Nut Hill, Prinknash Abbey and Cranham, but with nothing left in my thighs. Then almost immediately we started an up, down, up, down route through Cranham, Sheepscombe and Througham that left me doing the walk of shame on a couple of occasions. I also ended up dismounting on the steep descent through Chalford after testing my brakes and finding that I couldn't stop without using my feet! The cafe at Brimscombe was closed, so we carried on along the valley bottom to Stroud, where we stopped for coffee and cakes at the Upper Lock Cafe. No photos again this week as I was hanging off the back just about keeping up again. Another nice route, though. 42.3 miles. Great company from Pete & Dave, Pete's lad Nathan, both Pauls and Tina.

a.twiddler

Veteran
One look at the ride profile on @stoatsngroats' post upthread and I'm jealous. I was out on our weekly club ride again today and we took on the Cotswolds. I lost. Made it up the big climb up the escarpment via Nut Hill, Prinknash Abbey and Cranham, but with nothing left in my thighs. Then almost immediately we started an up, down, up, down route through Cranham, Sheepscombe and Througham that left me doing the walk of shame on a couple of occasions. I also ended up dismounting on the steep descent through Chalford after testing my brakes and finding that I couldn't stop without using my feet! The cafe at Brimscombe was closed, so we carried on along the valley bottom to Stroud, where we stopped for coffee and cakes at the Upper Lock Cafe. No photos again this week as I was hanging off the back just about keeping up again. Another nice route, though. 42.3 miles. Great company from Pete & Dave, Pete's lad Nathan, both Pauls and Tina.
Speaking as someone who doesn't have much in their thighs to start with these days, Chapeau for admitting getting off and walking. There are many euphymisms for this act but one I like is "using my 24" gear". That's 'cos it's two feet!

Another local Cc cafe ride today . A couple of riders did big rides yesterday but we should have the 4 of us again . Out the door at 0800 for a few extra miles set off on my St Bernards loop when I realised I'd forgotten my mask for the cafe so cut short the standard loop after the 2nd climb to head back home to pick up a mask then on to Quorn to the Meeting point . A quick stop at Rothley to chat to a work mate waiting for his ride buddies . Got to Quorn to find @Supersuperleeds waiting who had also been out early for extra despite doing an imperial ton yesterday . We were soon joined by @tallliman who had come the hilly way from home after a few minutes @Noodle Legs rolled in .We enquired how his legs were after his hilly peak District ride yesterday . Were soon on our way ,Mountsorrel ,Sileby ,Seagrave and up the climb of Berrycott lane .I stopped for a call of nature as the others rode on as I rode quicker to catch up I caught the group at a faster pace so it seemed a good idea to attack them :rolleyes: ,@Supersuperleeds Responded straight away the other played the sensible option and didn't play . The rest of the climb was spent attacking from me and @Supersuperleeds until we decided it was silly and a truce was declared . On to the cafe ,Nice Pie a nice leisurely stop chatting away and we realised it's 2 years ago that we were up in Harrogate at the world champs . We decided on the return route down the Wreake valley knowing it's a probably a headwind waiting for us . A bit more silly racing up hills and downhill soon found back at Cossington . We stopped for a chat before parting company and planned for next month's ride ,@tallliman and @Noodle Legs went left towards Loughborough me and @Supersuperleeds went straight before he turned off to head home via the cyclepaths of Watermead park . I had worked out I was 1.5 miles short of a metric ton so a slightly extended route home bagged me 64 miles ,@tallliman racked up 40 ,@Noodle Legs 54 and @Supersuperleeds Out did all of us again with 76 miles . Another cracking ride in good company chatting away and a bit of completely pointless racing :laugh: but it's all good fun

Another great meet up, and a nice end to a great weekend of cycling. :okay: Definitely did NOT want to push it on the uphill bits today!:stop:

One look at the ride profile on @stoatsngroats' post upthread and I'm jealous. I was out on our weekly club ride again today and we took on the Cotswolds. I lost

Glad you had a good time @Donger and yes, yours sounds a lot harder than mine, but I did choose a gentle one, in part due to time limitations. There are hillier routes around locally to me, I’ve done some of them over the years, but maybe not like yours…. Just the luck of the draw I suppose.
:okay:

gavgav

Guru
With today being the last decent day of weather forecast, before Autumn well and truly arrives, I wanted to get a 50 Miler in and fancied exploring plenty of new territory, so I plotted a route into Wales and set off in lovely sunshine, at 9am, but with a very keen wind blowing, which turned out to be an againsterly. It was supposed to be South/South Westerly, but at times I was going East and it will still a headwind :wacko:

I meandered my way out of Shrewsbury and then to Montford Bridge, along lanes to Little Ness, Hopton and Knockin Heath, where I had to wait an age to cross the A5. The other hazards so far had been the amount of wasps, out on a final drunken gorging from the hedges and I had a close shave with one that got stuck inside my helmet, but I managed to stop and fling the helmet off in time before it was able to sting me.

I descended to Dovaston and Kinnerley, where there were road closed signs, but I was able to get as far as the turning that I wanted to take, by the pub. From there it was lanes to Argoed, Crosslanes, Melverley and Crew Green.

There was then a short section on the nicely quiet main road, before I started the good chunk on new territory, turning towards Criggion and the Breiddens, where Rodney’s Pillar had attracted a lot of people to walk up to it, on such a nice day.

The lanes to Criggion were very pleasant cycling land, gently climbing, but almost traffic free, although the condition of the road near to the big quarry was dreadful, from the lorries using it.

I paused to take a photo of this, near the back entrance to the quarry.

The climbing ramped up a little, on towards Trewern, plus lots of hedges had been cut and debris was strewn, but thorns were avoided. I had to brave the A458 Welshpool road, for a short section, but timed it right to get a decent gap in the traffic, after a short wait and not a car passed me before I turned onto the narrow lanes and the real stinker of a climb up Heldre Hill, that I knew was ahead.

It was a big pull up to the first junction, where I stopped to take a couple of photos and then an even bigger pull up the next section, to the crossroads.

Looking back towards the Breiddens.

There was respite from the climbing, as I followed the ridge along to Frochas and Trefnant, enjoying the views

I then joined NCN route 81 and a ridiculously steep pull up to Plantation Holding. I was pretty glad to get to the top and pause for lunch. Strava tells me that the climb is approx 900ft in about 3 miles, which I knew about! However, it was all worth it when I began the exhilarating descent through Blackmore, Vron Gate and Vennington, to Westbury. It’s a pretty straight road, for a good proportion and speeds of 38.7mph were reached as I cruised with the wind behind me, all the way to Westbury, so much fun!!

At Westbury, I encountered the one absolute pillock of a driver, on the ride. I was approaching a cross roads, where I wanted to go straight across and up Hinton Lane. So t**t in a Nissan Note overtakes me about 20 ft from the junction, so he’s alongside me at the line and proceeds to turn left across the front of me, into the main road. I swore loudly at him, absolute idiot.

I climbed up and then descended down to Asterley, before taking the lane to Farley and Edge, which is a gravelly mess in places, but better than the mud fest it becomes in winter. From there I continued on lanes to Lea Cross, up to Arscott, Annscroft, Exfords Green and Stapleton, before pausing at Dad’s for a couple of hours. My Auntie and Uncle, plus 2 cousins, were up in Shropshire for the weekend and we’re calling in around 2ish. I’d not seen them for about 3 years. They arrived and we enjoyed a good chat and refreshments.

The legs had stiffened up, so it was a struggle to get back going again, for the final 7 miles through Gonsal, where I had an age to wait for a gap in the traffic to appear, so I could cross the A49, Condover and along Lyons Lane. Had an encounter with a young lad in a tractor, towing a trailer, who was descending Betton Bank way too quickly, which didn’t impress me as I dived out of the way into the bank.

The final section was through Betton Abbots and I got home just in time, as it started to rain whilst I was putting the bike into the shed.

Really enjoyed that, lots of new territory and 51.47 miles, at 11.3mph avg speed.

AndreaJ

Veteran
After a long day yesterday spent driving to York and back to take my daughter to university it was good to get out on my bike today.
Set off to Loppington doing a loop round the village passing 2 lots of 2 other cyclists twice who were doing a similar route but the opposite way round, took the turning by the duck pond to Lyneal and past the woods to Colemere. Turned onto the lane past the car park and sailing club back to Lyneal. Carried on to Welshampton, over the main road past the school to Breadon Heath, crossing another main road to head to Bettisfield.
There was a bit of a breeze blowing now making the lane to Northwood slower than usual, turned off again towards Whixall, turning onto Ossage Lane to Waterloo, Edstaston, Ryebank, Horton and back home. 23 miles, lots of cyclists and walkers out today.
238E9E0A-B4C5-43B1-9F81-031EAE2D427E.jpeg

The field looked much better in real life than the photo, full of lilac flowers.

Mike_P

Guru
Sunday, 24 hours on from Saturday, and again up Humps and a Hill and along Bilton Lane, rather warmer with a short sleeve jersey on and the sun tan lotion possibly having its last application of year. Downhill on the A59 - hope there was no overheating radiator at the top of the climb.

Knaresborough was quite with the only pause being the pedestrian crossing at the foot of the climb away from High Bridge. North to Farnham, up and down to Staveley and onto Boroughbridge via Minksip. TTLs before the bridge over the River Ure and then a pause in the riverside park – over the river so in Langthorpe. Discovered the Varia had gone horizontal which explained that a passing car was indeed without any alert on the Wahoo; tightened slightly the pivot bolt on the mount.

North-east to Thornton Bridge, the pot holes seemed to have been largely filled in. Over the River Swale and east to the 7th letter ABC of Pilmoor. A scattering of properties, a group of cottages line alongside the East Coast mainline with an appropriate roadside sign next to the access lane.

Through Sessay, Dalton and Topcliffe to a single track road north to Catton and time for a snack break. Continued to Skipton-on-Swale and the A61 back across the River Swale on a TL controlled single carriageway bridge to reach Baldersby.

Turned off the A61 south-east through Baldersby St James and Cundall back to Thornton Bridge and then through Helperby and Flatwith to Tollerton; en route at 42.2 miles 1000ft of climbing finally arose.

I then backtracked a couple of miles and turned west to Aldwark Bridge over the River Ouse (the combined Swale and Ure), then via Great Ouseburn and Arkendale to Ferrensby for a final snack break. Clouds had built and sunny intervals had become sparse. Then via Farnham and Scotton to the B6165 towards Ripley. Through Nidd and just on the final climb to Ripley when there was the noise of something falling off the bike- the 3D printed Varia mount had broken; fortunately the Varia landed on the carriageway in the middle of the lane so none of the following vehicles ran over it and just has a minor mark on the black plastic casing. Varia in the back pocket and onto the A61 to Killinghall to join the B6161 and a short downhill ride on the A59.
66.54 miles / 107.09km 2110ft climbed 14.7mph avg. Complaint sent to 3D seller and socks in the bin as one had developed a toe hole.

Last edited:
Only a ride to the supermarket today for some essentials - 3 miles there and 3 miles back, fully loaded. The cycle tracks were busy with folks having what looked like 'the last ride of summer'; I asked a cyclist prodding warily at his chain if he needed any help 'not that I can offer much in the way of useful help' I said, but as he pulled off his broken chain, I could, as I had a handy plastic bag for the greasy thing, so he could put it safely in his saddlebag and, pedalling without a chain, fool his e-bike into giving him 'assist' as he rode back home.

There's a hill/slope up to the level of the motorway bridge, and a hill/slope down from that same level. I can ride up one but not the other, yet both appear to start at the same approximate level and neither appears significantly steeper than the other. I've noticed it's not just me who struggles with the one hill and not the other ... The hill I can ride up is usually done with a full load of shopping on front and rear, whereas the hill I can't ride up is done 'empty' on the outward journey. Odd. I need to get out the OS map and actually check contour lines.

A bicycle trailer would be a good thing for shopping trips, I'm becoming increasingly convinced, and would open the doors to the sort of camping trips I enjoyed when my pony Jack was still in harness - not so lightweight that there weren't a few creature comforts available, and an easy 15 - 20 miles or so a day, rolling along country lanes. Something to think about, and plan for, through the winter ...

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Collected my new bike today from the fab Spa cycles in Harrogate.

After a nightmare train journey from Ely ( 3 hr delays), and some fettling at the workshop, it was a joy to get in the saddle.

Leaving Harrogate and getting used to the feel of the bike.

On South heading home slowly back toward East Anglia.

On through Wetherby on what looked like an old railway line, great surface on the last bit.

only 20 miles today- was a bit nervous going too far right away on a new bike, but so far the 2 of us have got along fine,

Overnighter at a very drab, tired hotel near Bramham, the above photo is for all hotel owners who fail to provide any decent bike parking (nice to be able to swap saddles and generally fettle about in my room!)

hoping to cross the Humber bridge tomorrow.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
Two rides to post today, I didn't get round to posting yesterday.
We had my daughter and family staying over the weekend, so didn't get out Saturday at all, but she left after lunch on Sunday, so went out for an hour or so.

Second day on the new tubeless tyres - the first had been commuting on Friday. Not sure they are any different in speed, but definitely more comfortable, mainly through riding at 85 instead of 100psi.

Started out as one of my fairly regular routes, out through City, then up towards Langan, pushing for a pb on the hill through the woods. Got it, but really messed up by pushing too hard early on the hill, and having nothing left for the flatter section at the top. I can do better again.

After Langan, past the Pleasant Acres nursery and up Crack Hill Lane. Turn Right on the A48, then left at the bottm of the hill and through Corntown to Ewenny. Turn left in Ewenny and up the hill past the kids playground, bearing left again at the top. Stooped at the top for a couple of photos.
Looking down over Bridgend (and no I didn't ride down the dirt track!)
20210926_143658.jpg

Looking the other way over the Severn estuary, to the hills of England in the distance.
20210926_143752.jpg

Followed that road all the way past Colwinston and on to Llandow. Decided at that point to head through Sigginstone and down to St Mary Church, rather than turning left for Llysworney. After St Mary Church, turned left through Llandough, then up into Cowbridge, and home through Aberthin (the first letter in ABC challenge).

20.9 miles with 1660 feet of climbing, at an average of 17.3mph, with very pleasant weather.
1632776957235.png

Top Bottom