Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Hull to Driffield and back, first time I've really gone out without a pre planned map.
Every planned ride the last few weeks has been cancelled for various reasons. Been suffering with man flu the last few days but decided to still get out, slow and steady and pretty sure I was gonna throw up at one point but still a great day out.
Fell asleep in the bath and currently nursing a lemsip :okay:
I appreciate you saying you took it slow and steady, but I would recommend you seriously consider not doing this again in the future if you felt nauseous - exertion when suffering from a respiratory illness, ie the chest, is not advisable. (Advice given to me by the many doctors I have worked with when discussing the issue.) This seems to sum it up:
https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/expert-answers/exercise/faq-20058494#

bluenotebob

Veteran
Like @Rickshaw Phil , I took advantage of some good late September weather and I racked up another qualifying ride today in this year’s Annual Lunacy Challenge. Straight down Brittany’s V3 Voie Verte from Mauron to Questembert (Bel Air) and back – with a minor detour to Montertelot on the return leg.

Also my longest ride of the year at 108.49km (but not my quickest).

Towards the end of the V3 near Questembert (Bel Air)

The water front at Montertelot

13 rider

Guru
Yesterday's ride Leicester to the seaside
It seems to be a midlanders rite of passage to ride to Skegness and I am the last of our gang of local Ccers to do it, so yesterday I put that right .Skegness is about 80 miles from Leicester using the main roads so easy to make an imperial ton . Normally the ride would involve a train ride home but with no direct connections it's a long drag so I persuaded by big sister she would like a day at the seaside and give me a lift home .Out the door at 0600 into the dark ,dressed in shorts ,short sleeved top with arm warmers and fingerless mitts it was a bit chill but the promise of sunshine :sun: later I thought this would be enough . I had a 112 mile route planned to grab a few velo viewer squares on the way . Ride started off ok but as I dropped into the Wreake valley and into the mist I could feel the temperature drop wahoo said 4 degrees :cold:. Nothing for it but pressed on as I climbed Saxelby hill out of the mist the temperature rose again only for me to drop into the vale of belvoir into the mist again . Finally the sun burned off the mist and I was finally comfortable on the bike . Through Long Bennington to Dry Doddington for the first square which involved a farm track was ticked off . A few more squares grabbed on the way to the cafe at Byards leap . Full English was consumed :mrpig: . Over half way now . On to Normanton on cliff were I rode up the cliff to grab enough square don't say Lincolnshire is flat . Back down the cliff only to go back up it just before RAF Cranwell . With most of the climbing done the pace began to pick up cruising along at 19mph . Just before RAF Connisby I heard a distinctive engine noise pull over to see a Lancaster bomber fly over I was treated to another fly past a bit later then had the sight as the Lancaster was landing a Euro fighter flew above it . With 90 miles on the clock I turned off the main road over the wolds after pushing it over 19 mph for an hour the inclinces were a shock to the legs . Finally over the wolds were I went past 100 miles . I noticed the upness reader read 2600ft 26ft per mile ,last week I did a 24 mile ride in Cornwall with 2300ft of upness 97ft per mile ,slightly different terrain you could say . Finally made Skegness 112 miles in 6hrs 40 mins and completed my fastest solo ton in 3 minutes below 6 hours

Me at Skegness clock tower . I had a couple of hours in Skegness and the obligatory fish and chips were consumed before the bike was loading into the car for the drive home . Cracking ride even if I was a bit cold early doors

Old jon

Guru
A bit breezy out there this morning, for the first time in quite a while. Not enough to put me off riding though, so me and Bob Jackson trundled off northwards.

Cross the river, aim for the A61 and up we go. Six or so miles later there follows a long level stretch through Slaid Hill to Wike. Turn left there to return to the A61, it is a brisk mile or more to Harewood and the left turn to ride along the bridleway to the A659. And ‘Road Closed’ signs in the direction I wanted to go. A dog walker told me that bikes would be able to go through, and he was right! Back on the A61, still travelling north, across the River Wharfe and a bit further up the road is the left turn to Dunkeswick.

From there, through Weeton to Huby is very pleasant road to ride. Straight across the main road in Huby and the contour lines on the map start crowding together a bit. Happy to be on a geared bike for this bit, it feels as if the road rises all the way to Almscliff Crag. It was good to stop there to munch, and take a pic. Not exactly a bike on Almscliff Crag but close enough for me today.

Bob Jackson Almscliff Crag.jpg

Then the descent starts. One of these days I will do this route, more or less, in the opposite direction. Maybe be able to have an opinion on which is the most difficult way up to the crag. Just after Stainburn there were four or five riders going up the hill, it did not look to be easy going. Into and out of Leathley, still descending for me, and back across the Wharfe at Pool.

Arthington next, with a most convenient tailwind, and then the right turn for Creskeld Lane and more crowded contours. Quite a pull up there today so I was happy to reach the top. There was a bit of a crosswind riding towards Leeds and I thought ‘If I turn left and ride up Kings Road, I will have a tailwind.’ So I did that, but the hill was still a hill. Down the eastern side of Golden Acre Park, and through Adel then across the Ring Road to Headingley.

Kirkstall next, and the canal towpath beckons. Peaceful and pleasant all the way to Office Lock, and that is rather close to home. Wriggle around Hunslet a bit, one last little rise and the grin is back when I see my front door again. Another hundred and five feet would have made the ride thirty seven miles long, and with 2060 feet going upwards that was a pretty good ride for a Thursday morning.

The garthing gave me these . . .

23092021.jpg

2309elev.jpg

bluenotebob

Veteran
Another lovely day here today .. too good to miss out on – and yet another Lunacy Challenge ride ticked off. A slightly shorter version of yesterday’s ride - straight down Brittany’s V3 Voie Verte from Mauron to Pleucadeuc, back to Malestroit where I dropped down to the town centre and then the riverside – and then back to the van via Ploërmel and Loyat.

90.95km in almost exactly 5 hours.

Two photos from the centre of Malestroit

The Nantes-to-Brest canal at Malestroit

The towpath - also EuroVelo 1 .. if you carried on this path you'd eventually arrive in Norway (probably)

gavgav

Guru
Another beautiful warm and sunny early evening, in a September that has been fabulous weather wise and better than most of the Summer, so I headed out after work.

I took the Genesis tonight and set off through the nearby estate, then Reabrook and along the cycle paths to Heathgates, Sundorne and onto the Pimley to Uffington old canal path. Just after joining the path, there was a meeting of myself, 2 horses and a runner, all in the same place. The chap running laughed and said we couldn’t have timed that worse could we, but all was negotiated fine. I was then overtaken by a lad on a BMX that was way too small for him, drinking from bottle of Budweiser in his hand, who when we reached a slight incline had no pace at all and I overtook him again, leaving him well behind.

Out onto the road then, to Upton Magna, overtaking a friendly couple on bikes as we climbed up the long straight and then it was down the Pelham road, seeing the canal has dried up where they have been working to restore it.

The rat run to Atcham was busy, but traffic was well behaved and I then paused on Atcham Bridge, to enjoy the sunny view and there were a few swimming in the river.

Next was the road to Cross Houses, before a short stretch on the A458 and then along to Berrington, overtaking another couple on bikes, before climbing to King St and then to Betton Abbots and on home.

The gears on this bike have not been right for a while and felt today as though I was getting only about 6 gears from the full range in the small cog, with jumping gears. Sure enough, on starting some fettling post ride, I found I wasn’t even getting first gear at all. So, about 20 minutes of faffing with set up later, I eventually seem to have got them into a better state, so hopefully next ride will be smoother.

16.11 miles at 12.1mph avg

figbat

Slippery scientist
The company I work for arranges an annual road sportive for its staff and selected business partners as a fund-raiser for the British Paralympic Association and for personal well-being benefits. Today was the day and it was glorious - a ride around the Surrey hills with a choice of distances; I went for the 100km ‘Epic’.

Beautiful weather, great roads and scenery, mostly rolling with a few sharper climbs, and I fell in with a new team-mate riding at the same pace and we did the whole thing together, chatting and getting to know each other personally and professionally whilst pushing each other to achieve a time that neither might have achieved if left to our own devices. Just a great ride all round.

7907E326-5020-42EA-AD35-C93E2E9C2E6A.jpeg

numbnuts

Legendary Member
To Sainsburys :sad:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
An early start this morning to get another challenge ride in while the current spell of fine weather lasts. I was out at seven on the Raleigh and heading south for a change.

Not having been to Ludlow since well before covid I couldn't recall the distances so, to be sure of getting the required 100km, I added a little bit at the start by heading over Lyth Hill to get to Condover then taking the longer way to Longnor via Cantlop, Pitchford and Acton Burnell. I was setting out just at official sunrise and got a good view of it on the way up Lyth Hill. Being out well before the rush it wasn't too bad on the A49 for the very short stretch I used. The wind was the only issue with a brisk south westerly to ride against - shame I'm not available tomorrow which is forecast to be calmer.

Just starting the climb to Folly Bank I came round a corner to find Bambi stood in the road - I stopped and tried to quietly grab my camera but he/she wasn't hanging round for that and disappeared through the hedge. After that I had the climb mostly to myself before dropping down to Cardington where a different kind of surprise awaited; rounding a corner to find a Land Rover coming at me on my side of the road.:ohmy: Thankfully the driver did shove over a bit and there was enough room, just about.

At Gretton I took a right turn that I haven't taken in ages. This lane takes me down to the main road to Wall and normally is a nice easy ride as it's a gentle descent most of the way. Today though I was having to put some work in against that wind. I took to the lanes again at Wall heading for Harton. An articulated lorry was unexpected on such a narrow road and it was fortunate I met it just by a driveway. A little further along the lane has been resurfaced fairly recently which made riding it a pleasure. Seeing a couple of red kite was really nice too.

I need to climb over Wenlock Edge to get to Westhope so I dropped down the gears and wound my way up gently so as to save the legs for later. This climb isn't quite as steep as I remember it but does go on for a while so it was nice to get to the top and have a snack stop with a view before starting the descent. A cluster of houses has sprung up at Westhope since I was last here and meeting a lorry as I headed down Seifton Batch I guess that it was taking materials to the couple of houses that are still under construction.

Heading out onto the busier road through Culmington I was more exposed to the wind but had the advantage that it is mostly downhill to the racecourse which helped balance it out a bit. I have been quicker along this stretch but I wasn't overly slow. After turning off to ride through the golf course and race course (some of the fairways actually cross the road - one golfer had to wait to tee off as I passed) I had a little detour past the Ludlow Food Centre and notice that Islabikes seem to have gone from their premises on the site. I wonder where they have moved to?

The bridleway through the Oakly Park estate offers a very pleasant alternative to the main road to get into Ludlow and brought me out by Dinham Bridge where I paused for a photo or two before climbing up into the town itself and having a short tour for photos. This was only marred when I came up to a junction and a van driver started reversing into the space I was occupying. Try using your mirrors!:angry:

I left town across the Burway Bridge then Fishmore Road. The legs were feeling a bit tired but perked up as I headed through some great countryside on a nice flowing roadto Lower Hayton and onwards towards Peaton. Luckily I remembered the various turnings needed for Broncroft and Broadstone as something I'd forgotten to pack was my maps.:shy: I'd also forgotten quite how sharp the little climb into Broadstone is.

My short stretch on the B4368 was busier than I'd thought it would be so I was glad to turn off onto the very quiet lane to Wilderhope and my second crossing of Wenlock Edge. It's a bit of a pull from this side but the legs felt better than expected and I didn't need to resort to a low, low gear. The descent to Longville was nice apart from meeting my third lane-filling lorry of the trip.

After Longville I headed towards Church Preen School enjoying the fast and flowing road on the way. Once past the school the road turns upwards again as I head towards Kenley where I found the lane I wanted to use unexpectedly closed. This wasn't on the roadworks website I perused yesterday so I didn't know whether I could get through. With it being a fairly big hill to climb back up I thought that going round would be preferable so headed through Broomcroft then round to Harnage Grange. By going through Harnage and Cound (the flag of Gambia was flying today) I could delay turning back into the wind a little longer but as I turned towards Pitchford it was an effort and more so as I headed through Cantlop and back to Condover. I had a crosswind for the final run up to the main road which wasn't quite so bad. The traffic on the A49 was moving at a crawling pace so they were holding me up.

66.7 miles at 12.8 mph average. Considering it was hilly and windy I'll settle for that.;)

Sunrise over the Wrekin.

En route to Cardington.

Near Eaton with Wenlock Edge as the backdrop. I have to climb over it in a couple of miles or so.

Red kite not far from Harton.

At the top of the climb before dropping down to Westhope and Seifton Batch.

The water mill on the Oakly Park estate.

Dinham Bridge and Ludlow Castle.

On Broad Street, Ludlow.

View to the Brown Clee on my way to Broadstone.

Bowling Green Farm near Kenley

A surprise 50k challenge ride today, whilst the car is Mot’d,
Initially I thought I wouldn’t make it, in part because I only had 3 hours or so, and this would be on my Brompton, the farthest previous distance about 22 miles, but I set off anyway, just to see.
Along the northern end of the Chichester canal, into the city, and round towards Maudlin, passing this…. The tradesmans entrance….
F967033C-8731-4428-836D-20E8F0E8B92B.jpeg

A little farther along I decided I’d visit the ruins of The Priory at Boxgrove…
BCE3F0D8-3C5D-490F-BA6E-52C3B5D1670C.jpeg

The church next door too….
1DD95B53-E44E-4B25-A617-CA5A03188947.jpeg

Time was ok here, so I ventured towards Ford, with a desire to photograph the Hawker Hunter, so a circuitous oute to add miles was mentally planned.
The weather was dull, but good enough for a t-shirt and jeans, so I set off, Eastwards past Fontwell racecourse, and Walberton village.
Mrs SnG , said it looks like rain, and I replied “Ok, I can jump on a bus if it gets bad! Thankfully no rain appeared until later.
Just before half-distance, I made it to RNAS Ford…
A6345D0B-2BED-42FC-819C-8F594AB45063.jpeg

And so to return to the garage… North towards Arundel, but running a little behind schedule I diverted up through Tortington , a slim country Lane up to the A27. Part of this area will see the building of the Arundel bypass, which will bisect Binstead woods…. A shame, but it may relieve one of the A27s significant bottlenecks.
Going up towards the White Swan, (where there were some dodgy dealings back in the 1970s, when It’s A Knockout we’re close by at Arundel Castle - I believe a murder took place, but can’t remember the details!)
At the end I spotted this….
A7DB2C6F-5742-40CB-986F-CE02E56C65E6.jpeg

From here a westbound run back, but I ventured a little south, and then north to add a few miles, passing Avisford Park….
A8EC771F-FF08-46B1-A10B-E982C35441E2.jpeg

And part of the Goodwood estate…
A5E38BD3-3645-4E86-8234-278A07BE157F.jpeg

A little shower began just after this, so I had to take shelter in a cafe, where I munched some mushrooms on toast, and had a cuppa too.
2 miles back to the garage to collect a serviced and Mot’d Mrs SnGs car…..
32 miles, and I’m still in the challenge! 👍👏👏😀
F7A98A0D-0ED9-4728-A90A-93CE20E60A4C.png

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Warm, and some dampness in the air. Heavy mist maybe. Matters little, I am going to pedal the fixed around for a while, a bit of looking at roads and stuff.

As ever, the gearing felt way too high, until the first bit of downhill was reached on the way to Jack Lane and the wander around Holbeck. Crown Point next followed by the ride up to the clock at Oakwood. Pedal past the spare gates of Roundhay Park, a bit of descent and then up Boot Hill. Had to stop for traffic at the roundabout on the Ring Road, a bit of an effort to start again.

Turn right, onto Red Hall Lane, first time in a while, and on Skeltons Lane discover the new, rather enormous roundabout that has been built while the road was closed for a few months. Turn right on Thorner Lane and as promised that has been closed. Passable on foot and sort of inconvenient on a bike. Along the A64 to the turn off to Scholes and enjoy riding downhill through the village.

A bit of a rise, then downhill all the way to Barwick, bends left at the New Inn and then see all the telephone cables obscuring the view of the maypole. Pass the shops, stop and look back, OK that makes a reasonable photograph.

Maypole and Fixed.jpg

Then continue downhill, it is more fun this way, to cross Cock Beck and climb out of the valley. The road then flattens a bit before a couple of downhill bends on the way to Aberford.

It was almost automatic to turn left on Lotherton Lane. Almost automatic because I was close to taking the turn before. Another rider in front along here, I did not catch her until reaching the gates, where we said good morning and went our different directions. Mine being the road to Garforth. Ride around the north side of town, down the hill to that roundabout and take the road to Swillington. Its a fair old climb from the roundabout and then downhill wheeee! all the way to cross first the river and then the canal.

And turn right to ride upriver (ish) along the towpath. Quiet, gentle and not busy. Just right for the last lap home. Walkers, with or without dogs or children. A few cyclists. And a whole squadron of kami kazi ducks. Stopped while they crossed. Reached the Armouries, turned left and am just about home. Thirty easy miles, 1289 feet of going up and nigh on perfect weather, no wonder I had a smile. Another good ride.

The way around, clockwise. And the ups and downs.

25092021.jpg

2509elev.jpg

It was time to hit the Peak District again as a swan song for 2021. Still recovering from pericarditis I knew my fitness had dropped and today I quickly found out how much!
Met up with a friend at Chapel-en-le-Frith and the first climb was pretty immediate, a Top 100 climb (Peaslows) in the first mile which got the legs and lungs burning. From there it was into Buxton for coffee and a few pics (but only one worthy to post!)

Pushing on from a lengthy stop in Buxton, we set off for the next port of call- Flash.

Flash is the highest village in Britain at over 1,500ft and is almost a rite of passage in these parts! This meant another Midlands climb- Axe Edge. A beautiful climb at probably 3-4% average for well over two miles, not even the mizzly drizzly weather could dampen the spirits! Before long we’d arrived at Flash…

Photos taken and legs recovered, we swung across the always picturesque Peaks towards the village of Hollinsclough where my poor route planning showed itself for the first time! By that I mean rugged gravel tracks for a mile or so and nearly flying over the handlebars going through a Ford! Luckily I’d managed to unclip before my mate could take any photos of me in a compromised position!
Gravel riding done, we had a few more rolling roads and gentler sloped climbs, then my expert route planning manifested itself again when it transpired we had to negotiate the Pennine Bridleway (yes, it was unrideable!) I can’t repeat what words were said by my mate so I’ll leave that open to interpretation!
Back on road, we dropped down into Millers Dale and had one more punchy little climb into Tideswell, where we had our cafe stop.

There was a wedding going on so there was lots of cheering and I had to be careful not to get anyone in the pic! Legs rested we pressed on towards Bradwell which involved a 20% drop followed by an equal ascent back out of the valley. Normally I’d have slowly ground such a climb out but today it was a bit too much and I did stop and put my feet down to catch my breath! I managed to kick on after a 20 second breather to catch my mountain goat mate up near the top but it’s one in the defeat column today.

From here it levelled out for a bit and we had one more slog back towards Dove Holes and the start in Chapel.
Just shy of 52 miles with approx 6,000 feet of up, though I’m reviewing this. Tough gig for sure but a good laugh!

Attachments

• C749F0FF-8CDF-4258-A69B-584489D669EC.jpeg
    C749F0FF-8CDF-4258-A69B-584489D669EC.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 2
  • 76A62AC2-59CF-4EEB-A2B0-0E1CBB0127C6.jpeg
    76A62AC2-59CF-4EEB-A2B0-0E1CBB0127C6.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Saturday and, having nearly picked up a short sleeve jersey due to days only sunny moment, a long sleeve was donned for another almost half past midday departure. Up Humps and a Hill and along Bilton Lane, continuing mistakenly down the Beryl Burton cycleway. Came to halt whilst a pedestrian picked up a mobile phone that a cyclist in front had lost from a handlebar mount, then at the foot of decent encountered a mass of walkers heading in same direction so paused watching rowing boats on the River Nidd. Over High Bridge and along Waterside; slightly busy with pedestrians but no halts needed. Continued along the gorge on Abbey Road in a new PR.

Then the B6164 south east pass a huge queue of cars seeking to access a retail park, no petrol station but a Mc Donalds drive thru. Across the A658 and through Little Ribston to North Deighton where an interesting insurance claim has no doubt been made.

Onto to Kirk Deighton where a brief spell of light rain started until I was in Wetherby; held up slightly by a set of TTLs. In Wetherby I turned into suburbia to climb Barleyfields Road to a narrow bridge over the old railway, now NCN67.

Beyond, and contrary to Komoots route planner, I turned onto NCN655 nominally along another former railway that formed part of a triangular junction but it was clear levels had been raised to form a connection with the road and presumably a further bridge use to exist here which Komoot thinks is still the case. Through a car park and out onto Linton Road. In Linton I paused at a bench, surprised to find no BT wifi. Continued to Collingham, a brief use of the A659 and across the A58 then up Jewitt Lane.

Into Scarcroft and across the A58 again; a spell of light rain again as I headed up Syke Lane across the golf course. At the crossroads with Coal Road towards Wike there had been a RTA; police were controlling traffic and precluding access towards Wike. I confirmed I was going straight on to the officer. Up to Slaid Hill and then west across the A61 pass Alwoodley. King Lane, Arthington Lane and Kings Road brought me to a roundabout with the A660 on the fringe of the 7th letter ABC of Bramhope. No nameboard but plenty of scarecrows! Having turned off the A660 use was made of a bench with a BT wifi signal present before the Methodist Church provided a suitable place name photo.

The observant may note the below top bar bag absent and a saddle bag present with the Varia now supported by an ebay 3D printed mount that is saddle bag compatiable.

Down Church Hill for a right turn onto the A660 then down Creskeld Lane.

East on the A659 eventually out of Arthington to the A61 north over Harewood Bridge and up Swindon Lane to Kirkby Overblow, where a bench with wifi and a adjacent litter bin is a compulsory stop. Right onto A658 and then down Drury Lane into Pannal, crossing the A61. Up Spring Lane and lower Yew Tree Lane. North through the Pine Woods; two years on as other road marking fade those for King Mathieu remain clear.
44.44 miles 2740ft climbed 13mph avg

Last edited:
Top Bottom