Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
And todaqy's ride. What a contrast in the weather from yesterday! Blowing a gale, heavy showers interspersed with sunshine, and cold. I was glad of my long sleeved top, and was wishing I'd put my gloves on!
I went out with the aim of picking up the B and C names for the ABC challenge, so headed off up Watery Lane through Welsh St Donats. It shows how strong the wind was that a segment I've done 126 times, I got my 2nd fastest time without really trying - having a tailwind up the hill.

From there, out past Ty Cerrig and down to Bonvilston. Stopped for a photo of bike by the sign to tick off B (in the other thread, won't post here). A nice rainbow off to the left here. After Bonvilston, headed across the A48 to Llancarfan, up Pancross hill, then back from the top of there to the A48 by the Aubrey Arms. Followed the A48 then for 3 miles to Cowbridge, where I stopped to tick off C.

Going down Primrose Hill to Cowbridge felt really sketchy in the strong gusty wind. On a calm day, I'll be doing 35-43mph most days, I just didn't feel safe above 25 today, fastest I hit was 28. That is one thing I have noticed with the switch to a reasonably light road bike from the heavy hybrid - it is much more affected by cross winds. I think this is a combination of lighter weight and more aero wheels. Head winds do slow me down less though.

From Cowbridge, through Aberthin, then went left at the fork to take the back road home.

Total 17.8 miles at 16.8mph, with 1325 feet of climb - which finished off the Strava September cycle climbing challenge of 7500m for the month.
1632779326488.png

https://www.strava.com/activities/6028261922

Old jon

Guru
Cooler than I expected this morning, but not unpleasant. Had I thought, a rare occurrence, I would have put an extra layer on. Take the Spa for a ride out, nothing planned, just see what ideas form.

And before reaching Jack Lane there was a solid line of traffic, leaving the motorway slip road. Nuisance that was, into Holbeck and out along the towpath, no traffic queues there. The general direction of Otley seems an idea now, so leave the towpath and ride up to Headingley. Fair quiet there, leave in the direction of Lawnswood, and eventually turn right to pedal through Adel. Up the eastern side of Golden Acre Park and turn left.

Down Kings Road and into Bramhope. Do not ride straight through, turn left to reach the village centre, a bit more uphill and it stays like that through Old Bramhope to the junction with the A658. And it is downhill, heading for Pool. Turn left by the Dyneley Arms, this is the Leeds Road, going to Otley, the only place I know of with two maypoles. And I need a lot more camera than my phone to take a proper picture of them. But I did try.

TwoMaypoles and Spa.jpg

And a better pic of the Spa

onemaypole.jpg

It is now time to ride along the A659, this road is used on rather a lot of the rides I do, it stretches a long way around here. Through Pool, today, and onwards to Arthington. Under the railway viaduct and shortly after that turn right. Yup, Creskeld Lane again. Into Bramhope again, and ride Kings Road in the other direction to this morning. Turn left at the top and almost immediately right. Another couple of turns points the bike into Eccup village.

Leave there, ride across the dam wall and watch a red kite soaring on the breeze. Faintly jealous, ‘cos I cannot do that. Absolutely happy that I do not have to do that, every day, to find food. And pedalled off to the A61, Harrogate Road. Turn right, home is that way. A last sight of greenery, passing Potternewton Park then down to Crown Point Bridge and back to the street where I live. 1696 feet of climbing, though the legs say it was more, and thirty two miles of pedalling lit up a grin on my face, though the grin was likely there all the way around a very pleasant ride.

The way up and down and around and around . . .

2809elev.jpg

28092021.jpg

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Made it to Lincolnshire on my 5 day ride home from Harrogate on my new Spa.

Was out early as heard there was rain coming. The hills were gone and many roads were like the above into Selby,

Then a few miles along or close to the Humber on surfaces of often dubious quality. But some very pretty villages to enjoy.

Approaching the Humber Bridge. The sheer scale of the thing is breathtaking.

it’s even more so once you get on it. I’d read (on here) it was shut to cyclists and pedestrians for a few weeks earlier in the year but no problem today.

Looking back from the Lincolnshire side.

I’d forgotten about my Garmin’s sense of humour as it was here the thing demanded I did an immediate U-turn and went back! How I laughed.

I think this was because I’d planned to cross on the eastern side but that was shut due to the winds so I had to use the west side. Why the Garmin only twigged then is anyone’s guess!

I then suffered the Garmin’s sadistic side, as it wrongly sent me up an enormous hill in Barton upon Humber, I only realised at the top, rode back down and then up the same enormous hill again but this time on the right road!

Reached my B and B just before the rain arrived. 62 miles in total today.

footloose crow

Über Member
29 Sept. Summer's leaving, autumn leaves are arriving

When people pass me in a blur of Castelli and a whir of derailleur without a word, just a flash of a carbon frame and then a retreating back, it makes me feel like the world's slowest cyclist. That may be an accurate description but no one wants to be reminded of it. If I get a friendly greeting, a comment on the weather or a brief chat it feels better. Silence, a grim expression, the ignoring of my cheery greeting, the feeling I have just added to his (and it always is a male) woes by making him have to overtake me leaves me feeling irritated both by the impotence of my leg power and the rudeness.

Which is a long way of saying that today when I came up behind a guy on a reasonably new hybrid, dressed in full waterproofs and overshoes, I paused as I passed to say 'hi, how are you?' His reply caused me to brake.

"I am lost".

He was in his 50s, gaunt faced, head wrapped in a buff beneath the helmet. There was a mobile phone on his bars but no bags or packs anywhere. I asked him where he was heading for.

"John O' Groats".

He had set off from Lands End a couple of days ago, endured yesterdays heavy rain and flooding which explained the amount of waterproof clothing and today needed to get to Bodmin. He was about 100 yards from joining the busy and dangerous A30 and wanted to avoid the road but his phone wanted to take him along it and he couldn't see how to avoid it. So we cycled together for 30 minutes as I showed him the back lanes that would get him away from the A30 and onto NCN1 to Bodmin. His wife was driving a small van to meet him each day but they had had problems with blown tyres and a dodgy engine yesterday, so had stayed in an AirB&B last night. The owner, he said, reminded him of Uncle Fester from the Addams family and they had been relieved to leave this morning. He has given himself 30 days to get to John O' Groats. It will be winter up there by the time he arrives. I admire his courage and determination but hope he finds a better route app. His last words to me were, "I have only 930 miles to go now".

I was planning to ride on to Crantock on the north Cornish coast today. The weather had cheered up with a cloud raked sky but no more rain. A strong north westerly wind was keeping the temperature down though. The hills kept coming, all double digits, and the wind tried its best to push me back down the slope. Some days I find it harder to breathe than others and today was one of the hard days. My breath rasped in and out, chest heaving and my heart rate was definitely higher than it is supposed to be at my age. At St Newlyn, with the Atlantic coast in sight I gave up my struggle and turned for home, wind behind me now and swooped down some long downhills, breathing more easily and considerably less worried about whether the paramedics would have enough fuel to reach and resuscitate me.

Long vistas as I follow the ridge line south

The air has been washed clean by yesterdays rain and the clarity of the views, long vistas of stubbled barley fields, woods and grazing beef cattle made the ride worthwhile. The hills eased on my route back, made up as I went along, choosing lanes I remembered and those I did not as long as they led south back to Truro. I passed the place where I crashed last year and broke my collarbone. The road was back in its winter condition, gravel strewn, dirty and treacherous so this time I descended cautiously, braking hard before the bends. I am pleased to report that I made it safely to the bottom.

Stubbled fields of harvested barley and greens

More rain for the next five days and then it will dry up again. I need to ride more, regain the fitness I lost on my long holiday, sort out my lungs, hope that Fridays visit to the oncologist has good news. Hard not to dwell on stuff like that so I resort to counting all the shades of green I can see. Distraction works.

I think about how the guy heading for John O' Groats is getting on. I hope he makes it. They will be sleeping in their van for the next thirty nights.

Screenshot 2021-09-29 at 18.18.05.png

gavgav

Guru
I arranged to meet up with @Rickshaw Phil and his brother Doug, for a group ride, the first that the 3 of us have done together in a long while. It was nice sunny evening, but there was a keen breeze and crikey it was a cold wind. Summer to what felt like the start of Winter, in 3 days! I’d underlayered, despite being back in a jacket and trousers, should have had a base layer as well.:cold:

We looped through the nearby estate and had a nice gap in the traffic on the A458, meaning a pain free right turn, onto the Betton road, where we had the headwind to contend with, as far as King St.

We then took Lyons lane, to Condover and climbed up to Ryton, where we paused for a drink and photo stop.

We then looped through Ryton village, to Gonsal, then a nice traffic free crossing on the A49 and onto Stapleton. Just after leaving the village, we encountered fresh hedge cuttings, that weren’t there on Sunday and I heard a sound from behind that suggested a twig and thorn had been picked up by Doug or Phil. We paused and it was Doug, but after some checking over, it seemed whatever had been caught in the tyre/mudguard had dislodged itself, there was no loss of tyre pressure and so relief was expressed!

We continued on to Exfords Green and Annscroft, where we were delighted to see the Union Jack flag blowing from the South, meaning a tailwind home. It was a nice run from there, along to Hook a Gate and Nobold, where I paused to wait for the others. They weren’t far behind, but Doug hasn’t been out much recently and was was flagging a bit.

The wind continued to be with us through Meole village, along with a patient driver who followed us along the crescent amongst parked cars, not forcing their way through and we parted ways having enjoyed catching up on a ride again. We need to keep Doug at it now, to get his fitness back up for future holiday plans.

15.77 miles

Glow worm

Legendary Member
50 sunny, breezy Lincolnshire miles here today from near Barton Upon Humber to Woodhall Spa on my way home from Harrogate.

Early doors a series of lanes and bridleways. Was worried after last night’s torrential rain it would be tricky but was fine.

A brief detour to St Remy in the Loire region Of France.

I wish- rather it was an impressively good sign in its Lincolnshire twin village of Grasby.

Several miles of quiet lanes and rare tailwind followed and finally after Bardney (a 2 street kind of place, where I still managed to get lost) 7 miles of cycling bliss.

The Water Rail line alongside the river Witham. A tailwind, smooth surface and no bloody cars made for a great end to today’s effort at Woodhall Spa.

Heavy rain and a return to east Anglian soil beckon tomorrow.

Last edited:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
One of those days where the sheer volume of rain coming at you, and brutal headwind should make it a nightmare, but it was quite fun in a strange sort of way. Especially now it’s over. ^_^

58 miles from Woodhall Spa, Lincolnshire to Outwell, Norfolk today.

Even the Lincolnshire lanes mocking my glacial pace.

In fact a lot of views like the above today. About 8mph was about all I could manage against the wind.

A rare splash of colour on a grey day.

I’d ridden the length of Lincolnshire from the Humber Bridge (this is looking back north from near Wisbech). Nothing I know to many on here but I was quite pleased to have made it this far.

Best part of the day - reaching my hotel in Outwell, Norfolk and they said they must upgrade me to a better room to accommodate the bike - how good is that ?!! Reckon they felt sorry for me looking so bedraggled.

180 miles since Harrogate on Monday, just 34 left to go tomorrow then home.

Last edited:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Snaffled my 70th consecutive month for the 50K Challenge ride today. It was delayed by an absolute deluge. (I've recently been drenched twice on two wheels and I'm trying to avoid a third.^_^)
A few extra items of clothing were perfect for the first hour-and-a-half, but the sun broke through and I began to warm. However, it was fabulous to be out and lifted my spirits no end.
And I got to see the sea. This at Felixstowe.

photo 3 (2).JPG

Last edited:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Back home today after my ride back on the new bike from Yorkshire.

Just past the Norfolk/ Cambs border near Welney.

Then on through Ely - they have a half decent looking cathedral there.

Finally, back on my home patch after 5 days riding - Burwell Fen.

The last mile. 220 miles since Monday in Harrogate- wasn’t quite sure I could do it at the start, but chuffed the new bike and I have made it home.

AndreaJ

Veteran
The weather forecast mentioned a chance of light showers and it looked reasonably bright when I set off with no jacket or mudguards. It was definitely a bit windy though as I took a detour to Whixall via Ossage Lane and into Whixall as far as Hollinswood crossroads where I noticed that I had also forgotten my water bottle and it started to rain.Turned off to Fenns Bank and down to the swing bridge at Alkington. Had to wait for a boat to pass the bridge, the lady in charge of driving the boat was a little bit too keen to get past the bridge and the chap lifting it was a bit too slow which resulted in the boat hitting the bridge! Neither the boat or bridge seemed to be damaged and they got themselves sorted out and the bridge back down so I could carry on and warm back up as I had got cold waiting.
Headed back to Hollinswood, Edstaston, Creamore then into Wem getting to the railway crossing just as the barriers had lifted so no waiting there. Took the road past the cricket club then into Aston, Barkers Green and back into the other side of Wem. Turned off to Tilley, Loppington , Lyneal, Northwood and back home with just enough distance for October’s 50km challenge ride done, 32.1 wet miles in the cold, wind and rain. Unsurprisingly I only saw 1 other cyclist and 1 dog walker.
No pictures today because it was cold and wet.

C R

Guru
Plan for today was a recce of part of the Tour of Worcester Sportive route. I know it reasonably well, but I haven't been around those lanes for some time, so I wanted to check it, as well as putting some hills on the legs, as I've been mostly riding on the flat this year.

Cool morning, so autumn kit on, and out early, as rain was forecast from nine, and I didn't fancy getting wet.

Started through St Peters to Diglis and over to Lower Wick to catch the route out through Powick and Callow End to The Rydd, where I turn for Malvern. The first hill of the day starts at Barnards Green, going all the way to the top of Church Street, and then on to The Wyche, but first a bit of a breather. Sunrise starting to hint behind the Abbey Hotel.
20211002_070447.jpg

So up to the top of the Wyche, and then a swift descent to Colwall, followed by a reasonably flat route to Cradley for the next climb up Stoney Cross, which is shorter than the one in Malvern, but a tad steeper in places. At the top there are nice views of the Malverns to the east, but the clouds are starting to look ugly, so no time for photos. Next destination is Knightwick, passing through Linley Green and Suckley Green, and then the most straightforward route back to Worcester along the A44, which is still quiet at this time of day.

Light rain started around Broadwas, but never got proper wet, which was lucky because the headwind was making progress hard work.

Almost 45 enjoyable if somewhat grey miles.

The map

Screenshot_20211003-001528_Connect.jpg

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
Didn't get out until quite late, as was busy during the day, but with the forecast for tomorrow, thought I'd better get a ride in today (techincally yesterday now).

Decided to try and get in the next few town signs for the ABC thread, so planned a route that would get D-E-F-G.

Raining as I set out, quite heavily, but not stupidly cold. Along the A422, then left up Watery Lane to Welsh St Donats. Down the hill towards Peterstone from there, but turn right up past Cottrell Park golf resort. Onto 5 mile lane, then turn left for Duffryn (D). By this time it is nearly dark, and about 6-7 miles of the route are small roads I haven't ridden before, so not sure this was a great idea!

Still, carried on with it, heading back across 5 mile lane and through Moulton. The route then took me left through Penmark, with a couple of shortish but steep hills. I might have been better off carrying on to Llancarfan from Moulton.

Through Llancadle next, then down from there to East Aberthaw (E). From there, turn left and head to Fonmon (F), then onto the B road twoards St Athan. Before going through St Athan, turn left for half a mile to Gileston (G), then turn round, and head home on ropads I know reasonably well through ST Athan, St Mary Church and Cowbridge.

26 miles at an average speed of only 15.1mph, but it was wet and dark and hilly (2,123 feet of climbing)
1633217698939.png

https://www.strava.com/activities/6054097036

Top Bottom