Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndreaJ

Veteran
After 2 days of commuting in the wind and rain today’s weather was much better and it’s my day off.
Took the longer way round to Loppington then turned off to Commonwood through some big puddles to Nonely and Myddle. Down Lower Road which was busy with walkers who for some reason never seem to all move to the same side of the lane, having successfully got past them and their assorted dogs I carried on to Merrington and Old Woods before turning off towards Baschurch via Fennemere and Eyton.
Took the turning to Stanwardine passing more groups of walkers, then to Bagley, Lee and into Ellesmere. Headed up Swan Hill to Coptiviney and Welshampton. Decided on the longer way back as this is my new commuting route and wanted a change of scenery so turned by the church to Lyneal back to Loppington, Wolverley and back home. 34.5 miles on a lovely sunny autumn day.
E10D2B5B-73BB-48DA-BDEB-579B9F86F2A0.jpeg

Tour de Drax .. a 32 mile circle around Drax .. the power station with 1000 years of coal underneath it, currently burning wood pellets from Canada and the USA ... oh ... and hay bales :rolleyes: Green power .....:wacko:
0730hrs kick off ..ish ..

View attachment 612417

Parked up at Snaith railway station, wet underfoot, NW wind brisk, 15 mph.
Ride into the wind to Temple Hirst , views over the dead Eggbrough power station ...such a shame ..

View attachment 612390

Off road through Burn airfield and the canal path to Selby ..some cows having an early morning paddle .. Met a lovely lady that told me she comes down to this part of the river every morning to photograph the cows in the river for her blog !

View attachment 612392

So along the path to Selby ... the 2 light brown barges are a hotel and a restaurant ....

View attachment 612393

A bit further up the canal to the lock basin and access to the Ouse ...

View attachment 612394

And thats the end of the pics ....
Crossed the Ouse in Selby and followed the TPT along the bank heading towards Howden ... Turned off the road at Hemingbrough and along the narrowest TPT ...At Barmby barrage something happened .. I dropped my phone .. J5 in an armoured case, fell less than .5 of a metre onto grass .... totally broken!!
Rode on to Howden then turned into the wind to Rawcliffe and back to Snaith .... not pleasant ... but cycling is better than working, so all was well ..
Got home tried all the Android recovery stuff to no avail ....

But still a good morning out ...
Did the entire TPT from Stockport to Hornsea over two days back in August, nice to see these pics and bring back some fond memories!

Old jon

Guru
A bright morning, no other calls on my time and a long enough ride will take the fixed across the five thousand mile mark. No big deal, but a new pair of wheels will be going on before it is ridden again. So I pedalled away from home and into the school run.

Not literally, no collisions ensued, but it was chaotic. Happy to reach the depths of Holbeck on my way to the Armouries and the path downriver. Which was very quiet this morning, though there were vans and folk around by the next lock down. Further on, that nuisance flight of steps at bridge 6 and then a clear run, led by a squirrel for a surprising distance, to Fishponds Lock. There was a heron a bit further on, on the bank and maybe looking for breakfast. Reach the moorings at Woodlesford, the usual kami kaze waterfowl making riding that bit more interesting.

On the road from here, Swillington is uphill going this way, to Garforth. Around the north side of the town and head towards Lotherton, but for a change turn left to ride to Aberford instead of passing the gates. Could hear voices behind me as I reached the last drop into Aberford, a couple of other riders. When Main Street started ascending the voices were no longer heard.

Keep on riding northwards and stop for a banana just before crossing the A64. Yes I stopped for a banana. And a photograph of the fixed leaning on a gate, one field to the left had been harvested. The field to the right still had green stuff growing, green stuff that was not grass.

Fixed at gate.jpg

Onwards. Bramham is next, just one edge of the place. Turn left to head for Thorner and just before the fork in the road was the evidence of some messy work going on to the left, the Bramham estate is being altered by there. I took the right fork, simply because I had used the other way on Tuesday. A different ride and often quieter.

A left turn onto Milner Lane, and ride that all the way into Thorner. And leave the village on Sandhills. Which are more of a slog with only one gear, as expected. Skeltons Lane again, and Red Hall Lane to reach the A58. Descents are never as swift on fixed, especially in the final few miles of a ride, but I still enjoy the twiddle down Boot Hill.

Ride past the clock at Oakwood, and continue downhill all the way to Crown Point Bridge, crossing my outward route at the start of Black Bull Street. I have a maybe false memory of the pub that gave the street its name. Soon home now, grin in place most of the way around this morning. Just thirty two miles and 1396 feet of upness, the bike has earned its new wheels and I am one happy cyclist.

Ups all towards the end, and the whole thing in 2D

0710elev.jpg

07102021.jpg

First ride for a month. New position on bike, caused some lower back pain, but was otherwise rather good. Will see how it goes. Bit of bum pain too, but just need to get toughened up again.
Revell mixte, just a short, none-too-quick jaunt out to Leg O'Mutton and back
Good to be back out!

Last time I was out, while we were house-sitting at Liddaton, it was sweltering hot. While entirely pleasant today, sweltering hot it was not...

bluenotebob

Veteran
Often I have no idea where I’m going when I leave the village and head out on my bike. I had a rough plan today though – head NE against the wind, up to Gaël then loop NW to Trémorel, then come home via Illifaut. I’d not reached Gaël when I got a message from my LBS .. “if possible, call in today – we have some info about your new bike”. That’s an MTB that I ordered almost exactly a year ago .. and there’s been absolutely no sign of it. So .. plan abandoned – head back to Mauron across country and see what’s up. Apparently the sales person from the bike maker had been in the LBS this morning .. there’s a ‘chance’ of a November or December delivery if a new order is placed today or tomorrow. It needs to be a new order as the colour I originally ordered is no longer available. Would I like blue or orange? Very tempted to say that I didn’t give a firk about the colour – I just want the damn bike! But I didn’t – I opted for orange …oh, and by the way, the price has gone up by 150 euros…

Left the LBS and headed south on the Voie Verte, then I looped back north at Kermagero and came home via Quelneuc, Guilliers and Evriguet.

56km this afternoon which takes me to just over 8500km for the year – that’s pleasing and lots of chocolate éclairs will be bought very soon.

A field of what I think is lucerne (or alfalfa)

A lane near Kermagero that’s part of the GR38 walking trail. I didn’t ride it today (although I have in the past) – I’ll save it for my new bike, if it ever arrives ..

Mike_P

Guru
Day booked off work and the clouds broke to reveal a sunny day with a light wind. Sun tan lotion on and an afternoon ride north via the A61 pass Ripley to Ripon and then up to Grewlethorpe in a new PR to find a heavilly stocked duck pond plus swans. Up the climb to Hackfall and once over the ridge the descending road on a north east hillside was :cold:
Turned for Swinton along the single track Roomer Lane, not flooded unlike my previous encounter with it. Across the River Burn and up to Fearby, largely set around a big village green.

West through Healey on a road undulating upwards. A decent to recross the river was followed by a climb marked on the OS map with a > and further on another decent to run alongside and cross Leighton Reservoir. Beyond another > climb after which I paused to look back, the reservoir is used via the River Burn to maintain water levels in the River Ure.

Another > climb followed and the elevation was such I was looking straight at the sun. After a couple of occasions of nearly running off the tarmac, with quite a drop alongside, I decided Shanks Pony was a safer option. With an ease of gradient I remounted only for the gradient to steepen again with the sun dominating visibility. After I remounted again further on an approaching > climb had a walking look about and so it transpired – it bad enough pushing the bike initially.

Looking back down Closterdale, Roundhill reservoir was visible which is used for water supply.

Again as the gradient eased I remounted and eventually the summit came into view.

Beyond lay the >> decent of Trapping Hill. An access track off it gave a view down Nidderdale.

while the sinuous nature of the decent includes a view the other way

At the foot lay the 7th letter ABC of Lofthouse

The village pub seemed to have all options ticked, Black Sheep and Theakstons signs while the barrels included Thatchers ones

Then down Nidderdale; Gouthwaite reservoir was passed without any midges being apparent only some distance thereafter to get covered in them. Had a near miss with school kids in Pateley; an excuse of not hearing a motor and paused in the park before gaining a PR up the climb of the High Street. B6165 back to Ripley and then the Nidderdale Greenway NCN; a bit of a cycle traffic jam initially but once extracted quite fast for once.
53.18 miles 3694ft climbed 13.1mph avg

C R

Guru
Another evening ride while daughter two goes to her karate practice. It got dark even earlier today, as it was overcast, so it was just a matter of following the puddle of light in front of the bike. Not sure I enjoy this kind of riding much, as one of the things I like is seeing the sights. Still, keeps the legs turning.

The map
Screenshot_20211008-220958_Connect~2.jpg

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
The stars aligned and suddenly I had a completely free day and a reasonable weather forecast. It occurred to me that, shockingly, I'd not climbed Holme Moss this year, so that was the target.

Off up the brickworks to Whaley Bridge then Chapel-le-Frith and the climb of Rushup Edge. It's great descent, but a bit of a tedious ascent. Overtaken at the top by six riders en peloton, so jumped at the chance of a tow to Mam Nick. It turned out Rutland CC were running a hill climb, so about a dozen terrifyingly thin riders flashed by as I took the descent.

First food stop for coffee and cake at the excellent café in Hope, then the lovely back road to Bamford. The only picture of the ride - views being rather poor due to misty humid conditions.

From Ladybower the Strines Road to Langsett. This is perfect cycling territory, undulating, great surface from when the tour rode it, and on the edge of the moors.

A couple of miles on the main road, featuring self-gratification artist motorists (many of) then down to Holmfirth for a pastie. Or two, to be precise.

Holme Moss was fairly benign today, no wind or rain, so an electrifyingly fast descent, then Glossop, Marple and home.

84 miles, 2500m climbing. Not bad for October!

A better ride today, took the Scott, and it behaved impeccably. Just as well, the long stem I've fitted to the Revell has seemingly irritated the headset, and it's loose again. Grrr...
Only target today was to beat yesterday. Also, there was a utility element: call in and pick up my monthly meds from the new-fangled electronic dispensing box. Woo.
So, loop out to Pitts Cleeve and back to town for the meds. Then decided to torture myself by going the back way to Whitchurch Post Office. This involves Down Road. Down Road, in this context, goes UP. A lot. And quite steeply. Two stops. Phew. At this point, up on Tavistock Golf Course, you are on the lower bit of Dartmoor. So there were downhills to enjoy, and I did. Pause at the aforementioned Post Office crossroads, then whizz down to rejoin NCN27 at the edge of the Tiddy Brook Meadows housing estate. Standard stuff from there, really.
Took a break half way up Leg o'Mutton,

then proceeded to grind up the rest. Another short stop needed. Then, as I reached the end of the hard bit and was starting to increase my speed above walking pace, I had to slam on the anchors, in surprise as much as anything. Across the path about ten feet in front of me slithered a beautiful two-foot grass snake. Not seen one in decades. Followed him enough to watch him slither off into the bracken, but too quick for a photo.
Thereafter, an anti-climax, out to Clearbrook CP and a little bit, to ensure, as I'd ridden this far, athat I got 20 miles in. And I did.

Not the best image, as the moorland loop is hidden. Good weather, lots of folk about.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
My longest ride of the year, this. 119km (73.9 miles) on an audax out from Tewkesbury to the Forest of Dean, via Much Marcle in Herefordshire. Also the toughest ride of the year. I really suffered today and put in my slowest audax time ever, just creeping in before the cut-off time and with only two riders still behind me.

Three of my club mates joined me for the ride, but they were all in a different league than me. I tried my best to keep up with the others on the way out to Weston's Cider at Much Marcle and on the way towards the second cafe stop at Hopewell Colliery in the Forest. I tried, but it just wasn't happening today. They were great with me, but they had ridden to the start and were riding home again afterwards, making it a hundred miler for them, and I didn't want to hold them up. Once we had navigated our way up to the highest point of the Forest near Ruardean and back down towards Lydbrook, I encouraged the others to head off together and leave me to ride at my own pace. We met again briefly at the cafe stop, but I did the whole of the 54km third leg on my own and at my own pace. I ended up walking up the Speech House climb, and I'm glad I did. Not sure I'd have made it back to Tewkesbury if I'd ridden it.

Some photos:
(1) The four of us at the start:

(2) Morris men arriving at Weston's Cider in Much Marcle:

(3) At the high point of the route, near Ruardean:

(4) Near Joy's Green:

(5) Typical Forest of Dean scenery:

(6) Lovely sweeping descent into Lydbrook:

(7) Second cafe stop at Hopewell Colliery. A bit of heritage:

(8) The middle point of the Forest of Dean, opposite the Speech House (after doing the walk of shame):

(9) Another great quiet woodland lane (between Soudley and Littledean):

A truly stunning ride today, with great scenery, but man am I going to ache tomorrow. After getting back to the start/finish at the Royal Hop Pole in Tewkesbury, I downed a pint of Diet Pepsi with loads of ice before setting off home in the car. About 100 yards down the road I heard a loud bang on the car roof and knew something had gone wrong with my bike rack. I pulled over immediately, to find my bike holder sheared off to one side and the bike flopped over on its side onto the car roof. Thank goodness I had a second carrier fitted ..... and that the bike is alright (apart from a bit of a problem with the front shifter that started to crop up at about the 50 mile mark). An eventful day. Glad I did that ride, even if it took every bit of effort I could muster.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
And another one…..

First thing my right knee felt a little sore and stiff, but it soon eased up on the climb up to Membland. Along the coast road to Battisborough, then down into Holbeton and through the Flete Estate.

a yellow jersey….

Up through Ermington to the edge of Ivybridge, then the big climb up to Westlake. The steepest bit is 19%… that’s where there was a massive crunch from my knee…… the good one! Oh how I laughed!

Back via Bull & Bear. 18.5 miles.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Woke up to thick mist! Turned out an inversion layer was blanketing the river valley with the warmer water condensing in the cold descending air. Full autumn gear and lights on, I headed up hill. In fact I climbed fairly consistently to 452masl! At some point I popped above the cloud and had some great views across to Ingleborough. Over Cross’o’Greet and down to Slaidburn. Lunch at the riverside didn’t disappoint. Then back over the trough of Bowland. 50 miles and 1400m of climbing.

Pictures of Ingleborough peaking above its blanket, heading toward Cross and then the view from the top looking south to Pendleton in the distance.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
One from Friday:

A Long Mynd ride appealed and after a delayed start to the day (had to look after the dog for a while) I got out in the late morning on the Raleigh to make it happen. It was warm for October and lovely sunshine when I set out (such that I thought suncream would be a good idea) but unfortunately that didn't last very long and having passed through Condover it had gone quite overcast by Ryton. There was a reasonably brisk headwind too so I wasn't making very quick progress.

Carrying on through Ryton, Hollyhurst and across the A49 to All Stretton the ride was nicely uneventful. A van driver started pulling out into my path without looking properly in Church Stretton but I just waved him out ahead of me rather than spoil the good mood.

At Little Stretton I turn off towards Minton and the start of the real climbing. There is a little hump for a warm up, then the climb to Minton itself which is quite a pull. After the cramp problems last time out I was a little worried about how the legs would cope with this but they were alright (I had made a small adjustment before starting after realising the saddle might be a little high). The following long but gentle climb seemed easier than usual then at Hamperley the big climb of the day up onto the top of the Long Mynd starts - firstly on tarmac to Priors Holt then on gravel up through the woods.

The cloud base was quite low around the hills so I climbed into fog from about halfway up. Mostly it wasn't too bad but the thickness varied as the cloud swirled around. I took a break to eat my lunch at the top of this climb and enjoyed the silence away from human noises..... until four walkers and a couple of mountain bikers showed up.

Carrying on again there is usually a great view towards Wales as you come over the crest and ride along the ridge towards the gliding club but not a chance of that today. Naturally there was nobody flying but I could see a few people in the club house. Oddly, there was barely a breath of wind up at the top - usually if it's windy in the valley it's even more so up on the plateau. I'd packed extra layers to cope with the anticipated wind chill, but they weren't needed.

Lights were wanted on rejoining the tarmac as I continued the climb to the summit in the fog. There were just a couple of ponies to greet me when I got there but I did pass a few people walking on the way to Shooting Box, where the first breaks in the cloud started to appear, and by High Park it was clearing nicely. After a bit of indecision I took a right for Plush Hill at the crossroads then descended Castle Hill and back to All Stretton.

The wind in the valley had dropped a bit since I started (confirmed by the windsock on a private airstrip looking a lot more limp than it had when I passed it earlier) but it was behind me and I made good progress back the way I'd come to Longnor, Condover and up the main road to home.

That was very enjoyable and the legs didn't show any sign of cramping this time. We'll see how the next few rides go.

37 miles at 12 mph average. A very enjoyable ride even if the weather wasn't what I'd hoped. ^_^

I've passed Hollyhurst and am not far from crossing the A49. Where did the sunshine go?

All Stretton.

Brookside Cottage at Little Stretton.

Between Minton and Hamperley.

At Priors Holt and about to take the track on the left climbing up into the fog.

Lunch stop at the top of the climb. It was so peaceful up here for a little while.

No flying at the gliding club today.

Up at the summit.

It's starting to clear by the time I reach High Park.

The view from Plush Hill.

Top Bottom