Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
No piccies today sorry :sad:
Planned to do at least a metric century heading into cannock chase having missed last week due to lurgy but i am still very green snotty but i thought i would be ok .....
As soon as we hit any hill i felt like i had no power at all and struggled to hold the wheel even though my ride mate was soft pedalling so i told him i was going to have to change the route so we headed for Whites cafe bar on Milford road where we had a nice coffee and tea cake then pootled home via Rugely and Fradley .
Good tailwind back and started to feel a little better meant the average jumped a lot so we managed 17.5 average over 53 miles .

Felt like i had done more like a century ride afterwards but at least i got out and got some headspace time .

geocycle

Legendary Member
@FrothNinja They are both longish climbs with some short steep ramps. When I do both in a ride I do Knotts first which is a bit easier, just be wary of the mtb crew in Gisburn Forest. Then through Slaidburn and then the Cross from the south. There are some intimidating steep bits before a nice downhill, watching oit for Hen Harriers, then the climb follows a series of almost hairpins by the side of the Upper Hodder. Amazing countryside, I especially like the Hodder section.

FrothNinja

Veteran
Gisburn Forest
Gisburn Forest is my proposed start point. I've done the roads hundreds of times on motorbikes. Planned on doing the Knotts first as it has the scariest bit of road (where it drops down to the bridge then up just after leaving the forest). I have wanted to freewheel down from the highpoints doing it that way round. Should make for some great on-bike footage too. S'pose I could cheat and go electric....

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Don't think I ever got up the Long Mynd from any direction without getting off an pushing - though I used to kid myself I was looking for bilberries when they were in season
I'm a big fan of low gears. The bike pictured has been equipped with a mountain bike chainset for the last ten nine years.:secret:

Edit to correct.

Last edited:

Mburton1993

Über Member
Nice bridge but never again.

roley poley

Über Member
I had a small cycle today along the tow path within nature to town and back that enabled me to cope the madness of life thank you for inventing bikes:hello:

gavgav

Guru
A beautiful Sunny morning in Wales, with a fresher feel than yesterday’s humid drizzle and, when I set out, just a gentle North Westerly breeze. It was one of those days when I wasn’t sure if I needed trousers or shorts, but went for trousers due to the cool air and it probably proved to just about be the correct decision, warm on the climbs but blooming cold on the descents!

I meandered up to Dyffryn and then along the busier than I’d hoped for, main road to Llanbedr, pausing in the lay-by that overlooks the airfield, for a couple of pictures.

I then turned off towards Pentre Gwynfryn and began the climbing in the direction of Cwm Bychan, which was my first destination of the day. The lanes were fairly quiet, just a few cars met, plenty of squirrels and 3 friendly chaps out for a hike, but they’d paused for a cuppa and gave me a cheery hello and wave.

I arrived at the Cwm and followed the shoreline to the far end, before doubling back and pausing for a snack in my usual spot that over looks the water. It’s such a peaceful spot and one of my favourite places to escape to by bike.

The descent back down to Pentre Gwynfryn was its usual enjoyable self, seeing the 3 chaps again on the way and remarkably meeting the same Vauxhall Zafira, in exactly the same place that I’d met it coming in the opposite direction earlier on!

I crossed the bridge over the Nantcol river and then started climbing again, up past the Rhaeadr waterfalls and through farmland, before the final steep climb up to Pen yr Allt Fawr, at 805ft. It’s a 600 ft climb from Pentre Gwynfryn and a lovely view awaits, where I sat on the bench to have my lunch.

The Llyn Peninsula

Yr Wyddfa (Mount Snowdon)

I then descended the gated road (3 of them to contend with) before the exhilarating descent down to Dyffryn Ardudwy and back to the caravan.

20.97 miles, 1691ft of climbing at 10.3mph avg

Mike_P

Guru
Sunday 11am and up Humps and a Hill and along Bilton Lane; a decent early in the ride was chilly so then opted for the decent of the narrow Beryl Burton NCN pausing to let three climbing cyclists pass on the steepest bit. Standing traffic in Knaresborough tailing back to High Bridge looked like something to avoid; along Waterside and Abbey Road – both busy with pedestrians and a number of cyclists. That caused a further change of planned route as it was now slightly shorter to Arkendale via the A59, Flaxby and Coneythorpe rather than Farnham and Ferrensby. East to Great Ouseburn to scoff on the cling film wrapped sandwiches and an apple.
No delays for once crossing Aldwark Toll Bridge

The wind was a benefit through Linton on Ouse to Newton on Ouse. The single track New Road around the edge of the grounds of Beningborough Hall had been resurfaced. East through Shipton by Beningborough to Wigginton. Now dependent on directions from the Elemnt Bolt, south through suburbia and a level crossing across the York to Scarborough railway line followed by a subway under the A1237. A curving route paralleling and then crossing the River Foss to a bollarded section of road and more suburbia roads to a path that bought me to a road previously cycled along. Turned off east and then a cycle path south pass the York Community Stadium, the new home of the city’s football and rugby clubs.

Beyond lay a retail /entertainment centre with a huge car park. Paused for a snack and then followed the cycle route out to the A1036; north-east on that A road the normal high quality cycling infrastructure around York showed a crumbling edge; a marked cycle lane of minimal width and half of that occupied by loose material. The 7th letter ABC of Hopgrove was reached

A horribly rough road surface followed and continued as such initially on Stockton Lane as I headed west before turning south on another maze of suburban roads and a couple of wrong turnings as I had started followed cycle direction signs which then vanished. Correctly onto an unsigned cycle path I emerged at Osbaldwick, and had to resort to a school sign.

West to the River Ouse

Alongside it to the Millenium Bridge to pick a previously used route to Acomb where I paused in a park. Through Rufforth and Long Marston the wind then became an annoyance at times especially across Marston Moor

Through Tockwith to a final snack at Cowthorpe and then via Little Ribston back to Knaresborough and the reverse of the route along the Nidd Gorge,

then the A59 hill/cycle path and the Starbeck branch of NCN67.

64.42 miles / 103.67km 1889ft climbed 13.2mph avg

Last edited:
Top Bottom