Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianbarton

Veteran
Sunday's ride. I hadn't been to Wirswall for few months, so decided to take advantage of the good weather. I set off on my usual route through Wrenbury and over the canal swing bridge and along the lanes to Norbury Common where I crossed the main road to Bickley. The undulating road lead to the very busy A41 where I had to wait for a while for a gap in the traffic. I sprinted across to the minor road to No Man's Heath and dropped down the hill crossing the bridge over the stream. An uphill pull took summited above Malpas. I cruised down the hill and made my way to the Coop where I bought a sandwich.

Leaving Malpas I turned right up the minor road of Mastiff Lane. Luckily there were no mastiffs around so I made it to the turnoff for Lower Wych without being eaten. There was a steep descent into the bottom of the valley past a farm yard followed by a long slog up the hill to regain the height I had just lost. Turning off right towards Wirswall I lost all the height I had just gained before cruising into the church yard. Luckily the church was open (it was Sunday after all), so I went inside to look around. After I had taken some photos I sat on the bench outside to eat my lunch.

Nipping over the A525 and A495 I headed to the bridge over the canal at Fenn's Bank. The road up to Alkington was yet another steepish climb before yet another loss of altitude lead me into Whitchurch. I went through Edgely, Ashes Mana and Parva then on into Ightfield. From there it was mostly downhill to home.

55km and 460 metres of ascent.

Coop In Malpas
vlcsnap-2021-10-14-11h37m31s966.png

Wirswall Church
vlcsnap-2021-10-14-11h29m14s564.png

vlcsnap-2021-10-14-11h30m20s422.png

A Club Sunday Outing in Ash
vlcsnap-2021-10-14-11h27m58s014.png

10_10_21 - A bik.png

bluenotebob

Veteran
Another long ride today down Brittany’s V3 Voie Verte from Mauron to Pleucadeuc – and back.. and that’s another qualifying ride in this year’s Annual Lunacy Challenge done. Very quiet on the way down but more people around on the return.

Difficult to know what to wear on the bike .. cold in the wind, warm in the sun, cold under the trees and warmish out of the wind. A thin fleece under a windproof jacket was mostly OK .. better to be a bit too warm than to feel cold.

90.67km in a fairly slow 5 hours. I spent a lot of time dodging conkers .. like spiky green tennis balls.

The Lac au Duc north of Ploërmel

The river Oust at Bagotaie

The Voie Verte near També

jongooligan

Legendary Member
This week found me in Dunbar and after some dreich weather a window of opportunity opened on tuesday afternoon so I took myself off for a ride onto the North Berwick peninsula.*

The ride started with a trip through Dunbar town centre which still has a proper high street with independent shops, although some look to be struggling to stay afloat. It's a nice town though, with an interesting harbour and a distinct whiffy pong at low tide.

Once through town I took the chance to get onto the John Muir Way for a view of Belhaven Bay and Bass Rock.

20211012_152026[1].jpg

Belhaven Bay and Bass Rock

There was a boring bit of main road after this but the wind was light enabling me to drop into time trial mode and get to more interesting terrain fairly quickly. Went up through Tyninghame to Whitekirk where I had to have a peep at the map (lost my Garmin so back to the old paper map). Decided on the back road to North Berwick but shortly after leaving the village I saw a sign for the John Muir Trail pointing up a short but steep hill. Thought I'd give it a go and romped up a couple of hundred metres of tarmac which ended at a narrow footpath.

Mmm.... what to do? Press on I think, it can't last for too long. Well, it was a blast. Back wheel slewing from side to side and slipping in the mud but it was taking far too long.

20211012_155234[1].jpg

I've brought the wrong bike

I really enjoyed the challenge of the muddy path but was pleased to get back onto tarmac even though I now had no idea where I was. Another look at the map and it was obvious which way I had to go. Cresting the next rise confirmed my decision as the unmistakable shape of North Berwick Law came into view. Quiet lanes brought me almost to its base and then I joined the main road into town.

Just before reaching the main street I cut off through a council estate right under the flank of the hill thinking I could dodge the traffic. Unfortunately loads of drivers had the same idea and it looks as if it has become a commuter rat run and it took me quite a while to get through. Back on the main road I could see the plume from the cement works at Dunbar away to the south and thought I could use it to find my way back rather than stopping at every junction to look at the map. First left then onto a skinny ribbon of tarmac which gradually got worse being covered in mud, cow muck and water, which came over my shoes. A zig zag route got me to the arrow straight road through Binning Wood and just after a T junction another sign for the JMT at a no through road. What the hell, both me and the bike were so mucky we couldn't get any muckier so I took the trail which led to a ford.

20211012_164944[1].jpg

The ford

The sign was right; after all the recent rain the stream looked deep and wide and fast but luckily there is a footbridge just to the left of the picture. Once over that I took a private road through a farm and very quickly found myself back at the boring main road so got into TT mode again for the ride into Dunbar.

Got the knock riding through town but saw it through to wobble weakly back to the campsite where I stuffed my face with all sorts of bad things and rehydrated with three cans of beer before being able to face a shower.

Right enjoyed this ride and looking forward to doing some more in the area.

1634237957310.png

*Not sure it counts as a peninsula; it's more of a hump

dickyknees

Guru
Trying to find new routes so yesterday took the bike just off Anglesey and rode along Lon Las Menai, through Caernarfon then taking Lon Eifion to Penygroes.
Turned off the cycle path and up the Nantlle valley to Rhyd Ddu, down to Beddgelert then up to Pen y Gwryd and onto Capel Curig. Down the Ogwen valley and returning through Bang to the start point.
Weather was mixed, wet in Penygroes, dry in Beddgelert and thoroughly soaked in the Ogwen Pass with a nagging headwind.
All in all a pretty scenic 55.6 mile route.

Felinheli

Caernarfon

Lon Eifion

Dyffryn Nantlle

Beddgelert

Llyn Gwynant

Nant Gwynant panorama.

Pen y Gwryd

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
off work today due to parts shortages , planned a big ride but had a nap this morning :smile:
So only had time for a smaller ride this afternoon so i pootled over to cannock chase visitor centre , although sunny the wind was cold so my hands suffered even with full gloves on and i didnt take into account the traffic levels of work day levels so my average speed was impacted by the stop start nature of junctions etc.
Still managed 45 miles in the end in total with 18.5 avg
1634325345639.png
1634325385971.png

1634325408069.png

gavgav

Guru
I’d arranged to meet my mate Paul, for a short ride this morning. Had a text from him early on, to say he’d been for his Covid booster jab yesterday and had a very achey arm, plus feeling tired, so could we do a gentle ride. That was no problem.

It was fresh out there, first thing and so I donned a base layer for the first time since the spring and cycled up to Paul’s house, via Meole and Radbrook. I’d decided we would go down into the Quarry and along the river, so we could take it steady and have a good chat.

The Quarry was heaving with runners doing the local Parkrun. Amazing number of people doing it, which was good to see, but it made it very slow and tricky to weave our way through the crowds, but we did and then had a quieter trip along the towpath, to Castlefields and Heathgates.

From there we followed the cycle paths down to Meole and parted ways. Paul didn’t feel too bad, once he was out, but his arm was giving him some gip. Good to see him for the first time in 3 months though and catch up on things.

I then fancied a few more miles and so looped through Sutton Farm, then into the business park to see where our proposed new work headquarters will be based. A thoroughly uninspiring and run down looking business park building, with hardly any parking. I’m glad I will be more than likely still based at home, after the move to the “hybrid” style that they want to introduce.

I almost fell off the bike with shock, as they’ve also filled the pothole that’s right in the position for cycling into, near to the estate, which I’ve been reporting for about 3 years!!

14.18 miles.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Having caught a major dose of cantbearseditis last weekend I told myself to get out this weekend, had a restless night with toothache, so when I got up I wasn't really up for going out, but I took a couple of pain killers. popped a couple more in the bar bag and made myself get out of the door.

Left home at 06:50, so it was still dark, but the wind was calm and the temperature was reasonable.

First 27 miles were on familiar roads as I head towards Leamington Spa, before I started zig zagging across Fosse Way collecting veloviewer tiles. The familiar roads still didn't stop me making an arse of myself as I did a quick shoulder check before starting to move out to turn right, only to think, hang on, that was blue lights I saw, shoulder check again and an ambulance is slowing very quickly because of the idiot cyclist, I immediately pull back to the left and stop, apologising to the ambulance as they whizz by.

At one point I came up behind a horse, as usual I shout out asking if they are okay if I go by. The rider was very pleased with the call out and thanked me and said she wished all people treated her and the horse like that - so good cyclist 1, idiot cyclist 1.

Hit a couple of closed roads, and even more signs warning of imminent closures, pretty much all due to HS2. First one, I went through the cones and carried on, got half way and three worker are walking down the road, I can see the end the closure down the hill, so I stop to charm them, they quite bluntly told me they may turn me around at the bottom, but I said I would try and use all my charms. Got to the bottom and bloke says I can ride where I like and waved me through :laugh:

Second one, again through the cones, climb a bugger of a hill to find I can't get through this one. Looked like some major works going on at Coventry Airport, that cost me a 3 mile diversion.

Eventually get to my cafe - McDonalds on the outskirts of Coventry, have my usually breakfast before continuing on with the ride.

By now I'm thinking of extending the ride as if I stay with my planned route I will only be 6-7 miles short of banking an Eddington ride, so I'm thinking of the best place to do this. Anyway, I continue through Nuneaton, get to Fenny Drayton, ride through the village which added a whole 0.2 miles :rolleyes:

I'm heading towards Market Bosworth when I see a road sign for Upton being 1.25 miles on an unplanned road, so I ride to Upton, turn round and continue with my original route, now only 3.75 miles short. Get to Shenton and see another sign for Upton, this time 1.5 miles away, so I head to Upton again, reach the point I got to earlier, turn around and head back to my original route, now only 0.1 miles short :wacko:

Get to within a couple of miles of home and decide to turn off the original route, the traffic is manic and the last mile won't be pleasant. So I zig zag through a couple of housing estates and eventually get home on 110.49 miles. :becool:

I really enjoyed the ride and pleased with myself that I didn't bottle it again, though my legs took a good 20 miles to wake up and they promptly fell asleep on anything pointing up ^_^

https://www.strava.com/activities/6121126488

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
23.9° in mid October today. Seems odd to me. It was predicted that it would rain today two hours after my expected arrival home. Minutes after locking up my bike in the bike room, raindrops came down the size of gumballs. Not that it would really have mattered as warm as the weather was. Nice ride though. Loving Fall weather while it is here.

A little bridge that takes me from the trail to the parkway that is closed during the pandemic Friday through Sunday.

E6D7DA34-7BE4-4BE1-B8A0-594FE8C3043E.jpeg

Nice parkway through the park with no cars. Only 25 mph through here anyway, but lots of blind turns and lanes with no breakdown room beside the road.

892E04DC-8515-47A5-93B1-A55B1E62F678.jpeg

I’ll miss these days when the weather turns cold. Although in September we had a few days that at 5:30am were around 11° And once peddling for a while felt absolutely great. Warm, without sweating. Such a nice combination.

3D96B210-A9DE-416A-8B9E-E04B0DE202D6.jpeg

Let’s be thankful for the perfect days! :notworthy:

Mike_P

Guru
An afternoon ride with the temperature seeming to be heading into double figures with a number of routes not ridden for a while. Through the country park and a chilly decent down to the narrow U bend bridge was quickly forgotten with climbs of Cornwall Road and through the Pine Woods. TTLs at the junction with Otley Road; a ridiculously narrow right turn lane into the road I was approaching on is being made full width and a cycleway constructed as well; some Tardis like measurements in play it would seem. Down Yew Tree Lane and Spring Lane to Pannal and then the climb across the railway, A61 and up Drury Lane to an elongated staggered crossing of the A658 and on through Kirkby Overblow and Sicklinghall.

Onto the NCNs along the old railways in Wetherby– nearly had a toppling over misjudging the speed through a barrier with the level ground off set beyond. Paused at a bench and then headed to the A168 north to Walshford; quite although another cyclist favoured the adjacent bridleway on what is left of the old A1 northbound carriageway.

East pass Hunsingore to Cattal and north across the Knaresborough-York railway at Cattal station, some way beyond the village.

A slight pause to cross the A59 and then upwards to, at the summit, the sign for the final achievable 7th letter ABC of Whixley

Onto the B6265 pass Little Ouseburn before turning west to Arkendale and Ferrensby where I took a break by the duck pond. Through Farnham and Scotton with the sun occasionally breaking through to the B6165 and then the loop pass Brearton Lane End to Ripley.

West on the NCN up Hollybank Lane to join the eastern Clint Bank and the decent to Hampsthwaite. Up Rowden Lane and a lengthy wait to recross the A59 before ascending Burley Bank which lead to the first downwards run home for some time. 42.05 miles 2589ft climbed 13.3mph avg.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Having caught a major dose of cantbearseditis last weekend I told myself to get out this weekend, had a restless night with toothache, so when I got up I wasn't really up for going out, but I took a couple of pain killers. popped a couple more in the bar bag and made myself get out of the door.

Left home at 06:50, so it was still dark, but the wind was calm and the temperature was reasonable.

First 27 miles were on familiar roads as I head towards Leamington Spa, before I started zig zagging across Fosse Way collecting veloviewer tiles. The familiar roads still didn't stop me making an arse of myself as I did a quick shoulder check before starting to move out to turn right, only to think, hang on, that was blue lights I saw, shoulder check again and an ambulance is slowing very quickly because of the idiot cyclist, I immediately pull back to the left and stop, apologising to the ambulance as they whizz by.

At one point I came up behind a horse, as usual I shout out asking if they are okay if I go by. The rider was very pleased with the call out and thanked me and said she wished all people treated her and the horse like that - so good cyclist 1, idiot cyclist 1.

Hit a couple of closed roads, and even more signs warning of imminent closures, pretty much all due to HS2. First one, I went through the cones and carried on, got half way and three worker are walking down the road, I can see the end the closure down the hill, so I stop to charm them, they quite bluntly told me they may turn me around at the bottom, but I said I would try and use all my charms. Got to the bottom and bloke says I can ride where I like and waved me through :laugh:

Second one, again through the cones, climb a bugger of a hill to find I can't get through this one. Looked like some major works going on at Coventry Airport, that cost me a 3 mile diversion.

Eventually get to my cafe - McDonalds on the outskirts of Coventry, have my usually breakfast before continuing on with the ride.

By now I'm thinking of extending the ride as if I stay with my planned route I will only be 6-7 miles short of banking an Eddington ride, so I'm thinking of the best place to do this. Anyway, I continue through Nuneaton, get to Fenny Drayton, ride through the village which added a whole 0.2 miles :rolleyes:

I'm heading towards Market Bosworth when I see a road sign for Upton being 1.25 miles on an unplanned road, so I ride to Upton, turn round and continue with my original route, now only 3.75 miles short. Get to Shenton and see another sign for Upton, this time 1.5 miles away, so I head to Upton again, reach the point I got to earlier, turn around and head back to my original route, now only 0.1 miles short :wacko:

Get to within a couple of miles of home and decide to turn off the original route, the traffic is manic and the last mile won't be pleasant. So I zig zag through a couple of housing estates and eventually get home on 110.49 miles. :becool:

I really enjoyed the ride and pleased with myself that I didn't bottle it again, though my legs took a good 20 miles to wake up and they promptly fell asleep on anything pointing up ^_^

https://www.strava.com/activities/6121126488
I have some of that cant be disease today too, got up and its wet and with my reynauds i decided not to do the club ride as doing a metric century with numb white hands isnt my idea of fun .Might go out later if it clears up but im going to visit my mum instead .

Top Bottom