Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Linear Trip to Wales Day 2. 1st September.
Second half of my trip.

My expectation was that I would have slept like a log after my unaccustomed exertions yesterday but I didn’t sleep well at all, and ended up getting up early. I felt a bit stiff and sore which was not unexpected though not as bad as I’d thought it would be.

Up at 0600, a light breakfast and on the road out of Montgomery at 0700 into a cool overcast day with a light wind from the North and East.

The road to the junction with the A483 at Garthmyl is mostly downhill and the few miles fly by. Right by the T junction is a gated access to the Severn Way, where the old towpath of the Montgomery Canal has been restored into a footpath and cycle way.

Many years ago when I used to describe my interests in crumbling old buildings, derelict railways and silted canals as “industrial archaeology” I used to feel slightly pretentious. Nowadays I don’t turn a hair. Perhaps it’s because nowadays with the internet anyone can claim to be an expert.

Today I decide to have a gentle meander to Newtown alongside the canal as a contrast to yesterday’s strenuous efforts.

Anyhoo I am still a sucker for this sort of thing. I follow the canal for a mile or so until it crosses under the road. Here there is a green space and a bench so I have a rest and a cold drink.

Taking a break at Plas Meredydd. The canal dives into a culvert here and passes under the A 483. The fenced off area encloses a SSSI.

According to the map the canal crosses back to my side of the road further on so once I get going again I follow the road and then rejoin the towpath further on. The canal is for the most part shallow with clear water and a good growth of water plants. There is plenty of plant growth along it and you can see small fish in the water, and bird life everywhere. Further North towards Welshpool the canal is navigable, and there seems to be a movement to restore it in parts then eventually link up the boatable sections. Modern bridges have blocked off some stretches where the road has been improved so that’s a bigger obstacle for the future. Once on the towpath heading South the canal continues for a while before diving under the A483 via a modern bridge to the other side where it spends the rest of its time. The path could be wider in places as the edge is sometimes hidden by undergrowth. It may not be deep but you wouldn’t want to fall in it.

Rolling along at a steady pace old bridges, locks, abandoned and repurposed cottages and machinery pass by. A roar of water heralds a waterfall on the Severn in one wooded stretch and as progress is made towards the town parts of it appear more neglected. Parts of the path divert from the canal and rejoin. The uppermost reaches are dry with grass and even trees in the canal bed, though old buildings still exist at the canal side. As Twiddler the younger has previously said about the Linear, “it ain’t no off roader” but it copes pretty well with these trails, bags, panniers, and all. The Linear is more comparable to a tandem in length but it is surprising what can be ridden on it.

There are many more elegant bridges on this route than this but unfortunately I didn't get any photos of them. Must try harder!

The Severn Way is planned to eventually extend to the source of the Severn well beyond the end of the canal at Newtown.

This pleasant interlude has whetted my apetite to ride more of this canal’s towpath. Although not all of it is rideable, a surprising amount of it is, between Garthmyl and its connection with the Llangollen Canal at Frankton Junction. To reach Frankton Junction from home and ride a token stretch of the Mongomery Canal before returning home is doable in a day. This could be a precursor to doing the “full Monty” and more next year when the days lengthen again. It’s a a bit ironic to travel to Wales to travel a canal towpath when there are miles of them back home. As it would be to travel home in the expectation of finding mountains in Cheshire.

After a pleasant morning mooching about on the Linear, I have to consider some more hill climbing if I am going to leave Newtown. I’d had an optimistic plan to get as much mileage done as possible yesterday and have a go at getting to the watershed between the Severn and Ithon today. Probably about seven miles of climbing to that point, then about twenty two miles of mostly downhill to Crossgates just outside Llandrindod Wells via tha A483. After my battering on the uphills yesterday I am a bit more pessimistic about my likely climbing ability today. My legs don’t feel as if they were invited to that particular committee meeting.

Nevertheless, off I go to Greggs for a couple of sausage rolls, and a cold drink I have got with me.Then off up the A483. It starts off well but I start to go down through the gears even though the gradient is constant and I find myself wilting. Despite several stops then getting going again I realise that I’m not going to make much progress today if the gradient doesn’t ease soon.

I keep on going. This is getting ridiculous. Another sweaty mile and a couple of false summits later I doubt my ability to climb anything any more. A woman comes hurtling dowhill on a flat barred bike, no bags but still… she looks so cool and carefree.

My over weighty panniers feel like some kind of medieval penance which I am doomed to haul about for evermore as punishment for some ancient sin. Travel light! Travel light! My inner voice clamours. Tattoo it inside your eyelids so you’ll know next time! All right, all right. A bit excessive, isn’t it? I am getting extremely hot by now.

After another bend reveals another false summit the heat gets to me. What if...what if..just up the road, round the next bend… another few minutes...you could maintain your claim to be a Proper Cyclist rather than a proper overloaded one...Oh bolleaux to that, extremely sweaty ones as it happens. Aaaargh! I turn down hill to cool off and just can’t bring myself to stop. The regret at all that wasted effort is dissipated in the blissful chill of my descent. I’ve never got my rear brake to squeal before but it shrieks like a good one today as I haul on it before the final bend, fighting all the weight I’ve got aboard. I am well goosepimpled by the time I come to the roundabout for Newtown and it feels great. Sometimes it’s nice to be impulsive and just worry about what’s going to happen next, afterwards.

I call in a local garage for advice on local vehicle hire and they suggest Kwik Fit “as they would know”. They certainly do. Mmmm nearest would be Welshpool though there’s a little place in Caersws, see, otherwise it’s Aberystwyth. I decide to try Caersws being the closest though by the time I’ve got there it wouldn’t be such a big step to Llanidloes, Llangurig then following the Wye through Rhayader to Builth Wells. If I hired a vehicle I would have a self imposed time limit eg 24 hours, and would also have to get back here to return it as it’s a local not national company, then return home by train. The hire company do a good job of trying to discourage me from hiring a van but in the end my legs have the last word. I’ve already done 30 miles today on top of yesterday’s 70 + and they might get me a bit further today, level miles, but not much climbing left in them. Perhaps I need to give myself permission to accept that I’m getting old, too.

So I hire a van, take the bike with me to South Wales then stay overnight with my brother. Next morning I set off early for Cheshire, drop off the bike and gear, then return the van to the hire place. (pause for breath). I get a lift to Newtown Station then return surprisingly cheaply home by train. It reminds me how much I enjoy train travel, and makes me want to look into getting a railcard.

It’s interesting how things turned out, and it made for a refreshing break at a time when I haven’t been anywhere much for 18 months

Total self powered mileage over 2 days 102.81 miles. Total ascent 3725 feet. Total descent 3511feet. Max height on day 2 was 951 feet (sounds a bit dubious to me), all according to mapometer. I would have preferred to do more under pedal power but looking at the figures, it makes me feel better. No wonder I felt knackered for a few days afterwards.

Maybe I will be motivated to squeeze in another trip before the nights finally close in this year. It’s certainly a tantalising taster of what I could do on the Linear if I can build up my fitness a bit.

Been a bit absent of late, due to injury, sustained on the last ride. Seemed trivial at the time, but I've now got bursitis around my right hip joint, and it's too sore to ride.
Having said that, we're out at Liddaton house sitting. This would normally see me going back and forth to Okehampton Station via the local lanes and that part of NCN27. No such luck. Back on the 7th, did the climb through Coryton, turned left, and completed a short loop back. Very sore.
Just 4 miles.
It seems to be easing, but I've not been on the bike since, and not sure yet when I will be. Last time this happened, it took a CT-guided steroid injection to said bursa. Given where we're talking about anatomically, I'll leave to your imagination just how unpleasant that was. I hope I don't have to repeat it. But it did work.
4 miles... Sheesh...

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
One from Wednesday: The forecast was good and I had the day free so aimed to do another qualifier for my Lunacy Challenge.

I awoke to find a foggy morning which made me think about changing the route a little to keep time on the faster roads to a minimum. I got the Raleigh out and started off by climbing Lyth Hill then dropping down to Hunger Hill where I did have to use the A49 for a short section. Fortunately it wasn't busy when I joined it. The lane through Exford's Green turned out to be busier. Pontesbury and Minsterley were a bit quieter than I'd expected but it was bin day here so I kept coming up behind refuse wagons, most of which I was able to easily pass with care.

I didn't want to push my luck on the road I usually take to Westbury so headed through Asterley (another bin lorry, which I couldn't pass until they'd moved along a bit) and over the climb. Having reached Westbury the fog was thinning as I made my way to Halfway House. Even though I knew I wouldn't have the views I like I was aiming for the climb up to Bulthy then the lane along the little hidden valley here before dropping down the other side of the hill to Criggion. The tops of the hills were still enveloped in cloud so I knew that I'd be climbing back into fog which, apart from a brief clear patch, was the thickest it had been on the trip. Unlike last time I was here there was only the one vehicle to allow past making it a more pleasant experience.

I dropped out of the cloud as I descended to the Severn flood plain and it started to brighten up nicely on the way to Criggion. By Melverley the sun was out and it was getting quite warm. I took off the fleece, unzipped trouser legs and only now considered that I hadn't even thought about needing sun cream.:unsure:

I took a roundabout route through Argoed and Kinnerley to get to Pentre. A bit of a detour was taken along the lane from Wilcott to Nesscliffe, which gave a change of scene and avoided the climb on the more direct road. At Baschurch I took a small scenic detour round the old part of town before heading out towards Fenemere (overlapping with @AndreaJ's route the same day) and the climb up to Myddle. There weren't many people about on the lane to Harmer Hill but I did meet the one driver that made me tut in the village here.

I had a nice run to Hadnall where a lorry pulled out just behind me on the way to Astley - I wondered whether I should have let them go first but became glad I didn't as we kept meeting vehicles coming the other way that I could pass easily but they had to pull in for.

I took the roundabout route through Ebury wood to avoid having to ride on the A53 then headed for Poynton Green, Roden and Rodington Heath on roads I had mostly to myself. Only a set of four way lights in Rodington Heath caused any issue. I took my usual route through Withington then headed for Upton Magna along lanes that had more cyclists on than cars.

The wind seemed to have picked up a little on the way to Atcham and couldn't seem to decide whether it was going to be a headwind or a crosswind. The metric century was passed at Berrington then it was a fairly clear run on familiar roads to Condover then up the main road to home.

68.1 miles at 13.2 mph average. Enjoyed that and didn't burn in the sunshine.^_^

Not much to be seen of Lyth Hill first thing.

On the road between Asterley and Westbury.

Up at Bulthy. I had a break in the fog but I'm about to ride into another bank of it.

The Admiral Rodney at Criggion.

Crossing the Severn at Crew Green.

Baschurch.

Shotton Hall at Harmer Hill.

The Hare and Hounds at Withington.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Down Whitehill Way, left through Pelton Fell and up to Craghead where I got onto Wagtail Lane.
20210917_103804[1].jpg

Miners memorial at Craghead.

Up to the top, turn left and bomb down to Peartree Cottages to swing left and loop steeply back up to Wagtail Lane. Bomb down again but this time turn right for the steep but short climb up to Burnhope. Through the village and left for Long Edge to the top of Charlaw Fell for a speedy descent to Witton Gilbert.

20210917_113034[1].jpg

Butterfly at Witton Gilbert (possibly a Painted Lady?)

A wind assisted climb up to Sacriston, descend through the village then climb up to Edmondsley cross roads for a super fast descent down Edmondsley Bank with some heavy braking as I was catching cars but didn't have the bottle to overtake. Climb up Beechgrove Lane until the left for Humbleburn Lane then descend through Blackhouse to Holmside. Climb back up to Edmondsley cross roads followed by the descent over Waldridge Fell and home.

1631880523002.png

The route. 25 miles + 2,000ft

Apologies for terse write up - I'm in a rush.

Alex321

Veteran
Another one with no photos I'm afraid. Went to put the GoPro on, and realised I'd forgotten to charge it. I've added one photo from a previous ride through the village of Llancarfan

Started by having to fix a puncture in the rear wheel, probably picked up right at the end of yesterday's ride, when the lane to the church was covered in twigs & stuff from hedge trimming. Not enough traffic on that road to clear it :sad:

Once that was sorted, went out about 10 to 7, thinking of about an hour or so.

Started by climbing Sandy Lane, then after the top of that, turned left and headed down to Hensol (with a bit of uphill in the middle), past the Lllanerch vinyard. Through Hensol, out through the golf resort, up the hill then down to Tredodridge. From there, turned right and up another hill. Straight across at the top, past Warren Mill farm, then down to cross the A48 at Bonvilston, and on to Llancarfan, which has a nice looking church, and a ford if you come in from a different direction.
DSCN0506.JPG

After Lllancarfan, up Pancross hill, slightly undecided which way to go at the top, but it was starting to get dark, so decided to just take the easier way home, and turned right. Followed that road to hit the A48 by the Aubrey Arms, left onto the A48 for a few hundred yards, then right towards Welsh St Donats.

Not the best light to be riding at this point really. Dark enough to be hard to see well, but light enough that eyes haven't adjusted well enough for the front light to be as useful as when it is full dark. But I know that road fairly well, so not too bad. Through Welsh St Donats and down Watery Lane, at this point, the rear isn't feeling right, seems I didn't quite get that puncture fixed properly and it is getting a bit soft again. Stopped at the bottom to pump it up - I only had about 1.5 miles to go at this point, then rode home along the A4222.

19 miles, a little over 500m of climbing.

1631916421942.png

https://www.strava.com/activities/5976076406

My ride yesterday was in Lytham (again!) but this time I went by bus. After all, the entire idea of getting a folding bike was to be able to use all forms of public transport when necessary, and as I have a free bus pass, I'd be a fool not to use it. But I have been wondering how it would be, after all my Dahon isn't anything like as neat or compact as a Brommie when folded ...
Well, it went just fine - the 'little' bus to the bus station, then the double decker to Lytham. I had an easy journey, a very pleasant ride along the seafront and around the marine lake, delicious cheese on toast and home made cake in the Lowther Gardens, and journey back home which was OK but which would've been much better if I'd taken more care over the folding, but the bus arrived suddenly and I wasn't quite ready ... I'll know for next time.
I did find travelling by bus a lot more tiring than going by train - even though it eliminated the 3-mile bumpy towpath and rough-back-streets route to the railway station - but I think that's largely because there was a lot more to 'do' and to remember, what with removing all luggage, folding correctly, covering with the 'bag', hoiking the horrid bulky thing about etc etc - and all while some idiot woman at the first bus stop, later some idiot man in the bus station and then in Lytham another idiot woman after I'd got off the bus and was unfolding the bike, stood there as if I were some sort of sideshow put on for their entertainment and amusement. If somewhat makes a coherent remark or question, fine, I'm happy to explain - or even demonstrate (according to his mum I 'made' a little boy's day by showing him how the pedals and handlebars fold and 'latch' securely into position), but to just stand and gawp ... getting in my way ... I should've demanded they stay a minimum of 2 m away from me!
I think it's something that I'll quickly get used to, though, and I'll certainly use the local bus again, even if it's just to get myself close to the railway station in order to catch a train! Longer distances, I'm not too keen on BUT if they go somewhere to which there isn't a decent (ie Northern Rail!) train service, then why not?

13 rider

Guru
A bit late posting but I've been away on holiday in Cornwall in Holywell bay and the bike came along took the TCR with its completely inappropriate gearing with a low gear of 39/30 making the hills hard work .
Sun 12th 24.85 miles ,2313ft of upness (93.2ft per mile )
This ride had a target of getting a KOM ,3 years ago I got a strava top 10 place on a steep bottom section of a climb which I went back that week a got the KOM sat up and groveled up the rest of the climb to discover there was another segment for the whole climb which I missed by 30 secs on a nine min effort .So last year I returned and missed the KOM by 3 secs because I had to slow 4 times for cars as its a single track lane on a commute rat run to Truro so this year's effort was on Sunday .Out the door at 0715 and the climbing starts straight away the problem with staying on the coast . Every ride starts on a 15% ramp and 170ft of upness in 0.4 miles Cubert ,Zealah ,Shortlanes end and onto the segment . The segment is really difficult to pace as it's steep at the bottom the a steady climb after halfway . The guy who has the KOM is not in the top ten of the bottom section . I had strava live segments running I hit the bottom hard but it's was disconcerting falling behind the average pace hoping you can make it up later .Climbed the bottom half 6 secs down into the big ring and up the pace the deficit soon swings in my favour . Full gas to the top and the KOM is mine :becool:. Took 28 secs of it to lower it 8min 12sec. After a rest at the top to put my heart back in my chest . Plans for a metric half century was ditched and took the shorter route back followed part of the route of the tour of Britian so I could compare my segments with the pros I think they must have had a massive tailwind as they were so much faster than me :surrender:. At least every ride ends with a fabulous descent a rarity in Cornwall with good line of sight and few junctions topped 40mph coming down it . Back for breakfast :mrpig: before some of the family were even up
If anyone fancys a go at it the segment called" ford to the top " near Shortlanes end

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Mon 13th 22.9 miles 2241ft of upness (97.9ft per mile)
Another early ride but hadn't figured on light up time being half an hour later than in Leicester so the roads are a bit busier with commuter traffic than I'd like . Out the door at 0700 , Holywell bay up the climb again to Cubert over the A3075 into St Newlyn East and to Mitchell were I had another another segment to chase a long one 13 minutes to five turning I was certain I wouldn't get the KOM as it had a couple of descents in it and I descend cautiously on the lanes . So full gas up the 3 climbs and recovered on the descents got me to 12th place just missing the top 10 by 4 secs ,I could do it quicker taking risks on the descents but it's not worth it to me so I will settle for that . Through St Erme and came across a savage climb through Settlement wood which had switch back on it at 25% ,climbed 125ft in 0.18 of a mile average 12% somehow made it up . Zealah took the hilly route back to another tough climb by the smugglers Inn near Cubert again the ride ends with a lovely descent

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Something very different today: a tour of Gigha! it's a little one-dimensional in what it offers the cyclist:

It was hardly one of my greatest ambitions, but we're here, so...

Having crossed by car, I left my wife at the gardens in the south of the island and rode down, up and back down again, a total of 11.3 miles. The island seems infested with day-trippers, of which I could hardly complain, but everyone on the road, myself included I hope, was extremely polite.

Most of the time we were bathed in sunshine with hardly a breath of wind, while the cloud seemed to be clinging persistently on the mainland.

It's a gem, of that there is no doubt, but if I wanted to spend longer on a small Hebridean island I'd opt for something less accessible such as Colonsay.

13 rider

Guru
Holiday rides continued
Tues 14th I had a rest day
Weds 15th 52.04 miles ,4150ft of upness (79ft per mile this counts as flat down here)
I have been riding from Holywell bay for 6 years so I have a little Cornish cluster of velo viewer squares today's ride was design to collect a few more including a couple of coastal headlands .Again out at 7.15 up the climb to Cubert then Crantock to avoid the main A3075 ,Which I had to join for a bit to get round Newquay and it was busy with commuters . Off that round Newquay airport to St Columb major . Round the old RAF base at St Eval to Penrose ,St Merryn to Harlyn bay where a quick detour through a carvan park got me the coastal square and on to Trevose head for another coastal square

The lighthouse at Trevose head

The view from the lighthouse
Back through St Merryn to Little Pithwick for a square then back to Romford and back to St Columb major where I came across an old mileage post

took the quieter lanes back avoiding Newquay ,White cross ,Luke's shop ,St Newlyn East ,Crantock and back to Holywell ,Grabbed 7 velo viewer squares to extend my Cornish cluster.
A couple of shorter ride were done stats for the week 5 rides ,125 miles ,10636ft of upness (84ft per mile)

A typical Cornish lane ,Every year I forget how brutal the climbing is down here all week I never got above 500ft above sea level but managed 10000 ft of climbing you seem to be going up or down with no flat bits ,shame the descents on the lanes are so sketchy to reward you for the climbing

For those interested my Cornish veloviewer cluster ,slowly ticking off the north coast ,need to walk a few headlands to get the odd square

Mike_P

Guru
Saturday almost half past midday and a ride along a number of well pedalled roads not pedalled along recently. Through the Country Park onto Penny Pot and then Burley Bank, now reopened with a new access formed to a huge metal framework growing in a field. A pause to cross the A59 and down Rowden Lane; the pot holes had largely been filled in and were now equally avoidable pot hills, to Hampsthwaite where property values have now doubt rocketed this week after it was listed in the Sunday Times 50 best villages last week.

West up the climb to the 7th letter ABC of Clapham Green complete with a proper nameboard.

Continued up the remaining 2.4 mile climb to Menwith in a new PR, and then south on the B6451, at last resurfaced with a tar chipping mix towards the A59 junction. Beyond the A59 turned west down the single track Bedlam Lane – nicely resurfaced a few years back it now had a coating of compressed loose chippings. Up a climb south west, south and then west on newly tarmacked Back Lane to Fewston and a lack of a signboard. The reservoir extending to the north west would have been an apparent logical place to look for a sign but Google Streetscene had pre advised against that so south east through the village and at top of the climb beyond the village church obliged.

Down to and across the edge of Swinsty Reservior and up the climb beyond to rejoin the B6451 south. At Bland Hill the choice of route was limited by the continuation of the B road up to Norwood Edge being closed so up to Little Armscliffe instead. Another road which had been resurfaced and as a result the chalked bike race distance markings to the summit were absent other than a newly applied one at 100m to go. Down Norwood Lane and south west on the B6161; the warm sunny weather contrasting the face stinging rain the last time I had ventured along here, particularly on the decent down to Crimple Beck although the climb away was previously cooler. East along Briscoe Rigg Lane, then via North Rigton

and Almscliffe Crag to Huby. Once across the A658 through Weeton to Dunkeswick where a bench was occupied for a short time. North on the A61 turning off onto Swindon Lane then Spring Lane

towards Kearby Cliff, and up the 14.2% max Chapel Hill through Kearby. Onto Clap Gate, Sicklinghall, and Stockeld Lane; the unmade section seemed to be in better condition than previously. A661 to Spofforth and then at the last moment the realisation that I did need to go up Haggs Road and along the A658 to head back on the A661 to Plumpton, so avoiding reusing Follifoot. Plumpton is a small hamlet east of the A road and adacent to a 30 acre parkland with lakeside walks and rock formations. The sign for the parkland had a closed for 2021 sign obliterating it and on the access a sign which clearly implied no access.

North west on the A661 to the fringe of Harrogate and then along the full length of Forest Lane to join the more recently well pedalled route along the Starbeck branch of NCN67.
44.02 miles 3346ft climbed 13.1mph avg

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
64 miles today, cut the ride a bit short as i was near home and the planned route was another 5-6 miles and we were running a bit late due to stops for wet weather gear changes and a flat for one of the group.Had a guest rider who is training for a tri and his mate who does bi athalon recommanded he join us to get used to riding longer distances , they have the fitness but not the bike craft like gearing choices and bike handling .
Pissed it down at the start and i was glad i took a windproof so at leat i was warm aprt from my hands which were so bad at the cafe i had to get someone to unclip my helmet.
Stopped at the aviator cafe on a private airfield and my old club mates turned up , i left them as they were always a social ride so it was good to see them again .
Cafe was ok apart from my tea cake which came out cold and hard so i sent it back and the next one wasnt much better.

Last edited:
Decided to fulfil a promise to the youngest to hit the trails today. I’d had enough of number crunching on Zwift and road riding didn’t appeal so we set off to nearby Hicks Lodge for a spot of MTB. This was literally the first time I’d ridden one in about 25 years and it didn’t disappoint. It was so much fun!
It was a bit mizzly and drizzly to start as we warmed up along the green trail but found it to be quite refreshing! Before long we’d done the green and were ready to up the ante and hit the blue trail

After stopping for a little drink we went for it, and it was technical from the get go, jumps, berms and loose gravel! This was also when the boy’s promises that I would be left for dead began to fall apart as it turns out that resuming MTB after such a long hiatus was like, well, riding a bike! And the gap began to open up between us. That was ok though as I was able to have the camera ready for some action shots…

Before long we’d finished the 4 1/4 mile long route….

….and having time to kill we did it all again!

The GPS tracking on my watch cut short as negotitiating a jump midway through the first lap automatically sent an SOS text to the wife. It obviously thought I’d fell off but I managed to let her know I was okay. The second attempt at tracking went without a hitch.
Second lap of the blue trail done, it was time to head back to the cafe though not before a cheeky lap around the nearby lake….

Biking done, we hit the cafe and tucked into a bit of cake before heading home. Just 12.6 miles done today but so much fun! Definitely making the investment into my own MTB on the back of that. And it was so good to get away from Zwift for a bit and the boring number crunching trying to train to be something I’m not.

13 rider

Guru
So back from Cornwall and back on familiar roads . Did my standard 50km loop out to Wymeswold and the difference in terrain was very noticeable. Last week every ride started with a big climb of which 170ft was gained in the first 0.4 miles . Today's ride I gained 170ft in 8.6 miles so a bit flatter :laugh:. 31.4 miles in the bag in under 2 hours so 16 mph which was 2 mph quicker than any of last weeks rides and just 974ft of upness ,works out at 30ft per mile last week I was doing 90ft per mile you get an idea how hilly Cornwall is .I had waited for the rain :rain: to clear and got round in the dry and the sun :sun:came out at the end

Last edited:
Top Bottom