Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Been lazy lately..actually very busy, tired from work,not much drive to get out there but tonight...a jaunt out before dusk, just a sub 10 miler, countryside and quiet roads,3 roe deer stood 40ft from the track I was on, then a hare a few hundred yards from the deer. I love old brown field areas, former industry, so much more wildlife there than near farms

theloafer

Legendary Member
a trip out to see a mate ,who is just out of hospital. he lives in Brandon .... which is only 15 miles up the road and just of the Bishop Auckland-Brandon railway path.. at Brandon so its always a great ride as its virtually all traffic free , ( all but 2 miles ) :okay:
i picked the track up just after the Newton Cap Viaduct on the right next to the entrance to the the Kynren show ground, the view from the viaduct was good this morning ... but seeing all the flower tribute's that are tied to the railings always make me feel sad and makes me glad of the people i have in my life.

Viaduct view

Kynren castle :whistle:

after coffee and biscuit's i continued along the Brandon rail line as far as Broompark ,which was my turn around point and planned my return via the Deerness Valley railway path. head towards Ushaw Moor-Esh Winning-Billy Row . from here i left the railway line and skirted Crook then just before Willington took a right up Rumby hill and down to High Grange, over the A689 through Witton Park through Woodside-down to Woodlouse's and down to Tindale Crescent back to shildon and the cyclepath home along side the rail line into Newton Aycliffe... just as the rain started to fall . timed it good :laugh::laugh:
Morning Ride | Ride | Strava 41 miles done :okay:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Another Lunacy Challenge ride for me today. The forecast looked good and after some thought about routes I ended up sticking to the tried and tested again.

It was another cool morning with that earthy autumnal smell to the air as I got the knockabout bike out and onto the road a little after 8am. I headed over Lyth Hill to start with so as to avoid the morning rush as best I could. Headed up Lyth Hill road I could hear a car coming up behind as I approached parked cars on the other side of the road - from the gesture I received the driver obviously thought I should have jumped out of the way.:dry:

Once past the A49 the roads were pretty quiet so I could get along in peace. Not far from Ryton I recalled that on a previous run around this route I'd gone via Cantlop instead so I'd be losing about 3 miles off my distance if I carried on. Not being sure whether that would cause issues later I decided to turn towards Wheathall and Berriewood, back towards Condover and then join the road to Cantlop, Pitchford and Acton Burnell. By the time I got to the crossroads near Longnor I was about six miles up on what the distance would have been if I'd carried on.

The climb to Folly Bank was fairly slow and plodding on this bike and the descent to Cardington was as nice as ever. Near Longville I could feel the benefit of a tailwind and also had some fast flowing descents to enjoy on the way to Hughley. I stopped shortly after on the road to Harley for my first snack stop which was quite pleasant in the sunshine (the forecast had showed it being cloudy all day). I got along better than expected for the next couple of miles until I double back onto the road for Cressage. Having miles in hand now I took the direct road there. The main road wasn't too busy and a gap in traffic coincided nicely with my turn off. The climb out of the valley to Eaton Constantine then Uppington was another slow one but not too bad. It was nice to get to the old A5 and find that there was nothing to be seen in either direction. I wasn't as quick along Bluebell Lane as on the other bikes but still cruising along at around 20.

I passed through Walcot and decided to take the direct way to Rodington Heath then climb up through Somerwood for a change before heading to Haughton and the climb over Ebury Hill. The road surface is pretty rotten here but is a little better since I last rode this way - not because it has been worked on but because the surface dressing has worn away down to the previous surface.:laugh:

Through Astley, Hadnall and round to Plex I was back on very familiar ground but decided to vary things by heading for Sansaw Heath (missed a junction and had to turn back), Clive, Yorton and back on track again at Myddle. I took the usual road to Fenemere but knowing I had plenty of distance in hand for the challenge, decided that I didn't need to go to Baschurch. Instead I took the new-to-me lane to Old Woods then onto roads I know to Walford Heath, across to Yeaton and joined the road for Montford Bridge near Nib Heath. As I was approaching Yeaton I noticed that the views to the hills were shrouded in rain. Despite my hopes that it would stay in the distance I ran into drizzle before Montford Bridge. I decided to stick to the short way back along the main roads - at least there is cycle path after Shelton so I could get away from the traffic.

67.1 miles at 12.1 mph average. I enjoyed the ride despite the damp ending. There were more cyclists out and about than I'd have expected - always good to see.:okay:

Edit to add: The fit of the panniers was fine after the fettling I did and no issues with them this trip.

Pitchford Hall.

Some autumn colour near Comley.

Cardington.

Nice display of blooms at Eaton Constantine. (A variety of dog rose I think).

Hope Farm on the way to Clive

The church at Clive.

Also in Clive.

A pause at Yeaton not long before I ran into the weather.

Last edited:

Landsurfer

Veteran
A slightly different story this time.
Here's the map ....

The blue section of the map is me plodding along at the start of my Sunday morning 26 mile ride ... the red section is the fast transit by car to A&E at Rotherham Hospital.
I passed under Tinsley Viaduct, of which i have no memory, then i walked back to a seat by the canal and phoned Julie.... I was lost, confused, totally baffled as to where I was, my spatial awareness was totally gone.
I did not know where I was ..... Julie and my daughter got me to hospital (NHS ... Sorry .. 45 minutes wait for an Ambulance) and after only 9 hours waiting i was seen by a doctor ... fortunately it was not a stroke..
Transient Global Amnesia.
Seen by a great doctor, CT scan, and a sandwich given by a nurse as i had not eaten since 8 in the morning and there was no food available in the Hospital. Sat in A&E from 1235hrs Sunday to 0200hrs Monday morning when they found me a trolly to sleep on. At 0530hrs Weetabix and a drink was welcome.
Chest x-ray, bloods, urine and an amazing doctor, she was a cyclist and TT rider and helped things along.
The consultant ! Tall heavy build, Taliban beard, Asian heritage ..... East Belfast accent .. :laugh: ... I’m from Belfast so we had a bit of chat..
Moved to the ward ..1130hrs Monday, nearly 24 hours in A&E .... and home .... MRI next week and 2 phone consults with the Belfast Taliban to follow...
Great people, dire NHS.
No food available at weekends, not even a working vending machine, 2 toilets visited... one with feaces on the floor and toilet seat .. the second awash with urine... the third ..The Nurses ... clean and with flowers. ^_^
Thank you staff of Rotherham Hospital, .... NHS .. 3 OUT OF 10 , SEE ME LATER ...

Last edited:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Started to get out again after a long lay off. 6 of us headed of to Spokes cafe for a coffee or something that sort of tastes like coffee.:laugh:
Nice easy ride i was not the only slow one, got to get them leg muscles working again, getting my enthusiasm back again. Was nice to be out in a group again, looking forward to getting out for a couple of rides this week.Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/63zggl4I1kb

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A slightly different story this time.
Here's the map ....
View attachment 617030

The blue section of the map is me plodding along at the start of my Sunday morning 26 mile ride ... the red section is the fast transit by car to A&E at Rotherham Hospital.
I passed under Tinsley Viaduct, of which i have no memory, then i walked back to a seat by the canal and phoned Julie.... I was lost, confused, totally baffled as to where I was, my spatial awareness was totally gone.
I did not know where I was ..... Julie and my daughter got me to hospital (NHS ... Sorry .. 45 minutes wait for an Ambulance) and after only 9 hours waiting i was seen by a doctor ... fortunately it was not a stroke..
Transient Global Amnesia.
Seen by a great doctor, CT scan, and a sandwich given by a nurse as i had not eaten since 8 in the morning and there was no food available in the Hospital. Sat in A&E from 1235hrs Sunday to 0200hrs Monday morning when they found me a trolly to sleep on. At 0530hrs Weetabix and a drink was welcome.
Chest x-ray, bloods, urine and an amazing doctor, she was a cyclist and TT rider and helped things along.
The consultant ! Tall heavy build, Taliban beard, Asian heritage ..... East Belfast accent .. :laugh: ... I’m from Belfast so we had a bit of chat..
Moved to the ward ... and home .... MRI next week and 2 phone consults with the Belfast Taliban to follow...
Great people, dire NHS.
No food available at weekends, not even a working vending machine, 2 toilets visited... one with feaces on the floor and toilet seat .. the second awash with urine... the third ..The Nurses ... clean and with flowers. ^_^
Thank you staff of Rotherham Hospital, .... NHS .. 3 OUT OF 10 , SEE ME LATER ...
I don't know what to say other than to wish you all the best.

Old jon

Guru
Outside felt almost warm this morning when I went to take the Spa out of the shed. I reckoned, correctly, that I was wearing one too many layers. Better to be warm, for me, so off I went in the direction of away.

The easy way to Office Lock is through a corner of Holbeck, actually crossing the culverted beck on the way. Ride along the towpath as far as Viaduct Road, downhill to cross the river and then up to Headingley. More up to cross the Ring Road, then bear left for even more rising road to Cookridge. By the time I reached the water tower I was tired. But then the road descends a bit, time to recharge legs and lugs before that steep bit by None Go Bye farm. Which also hides Woof and Tumble Field, a good name for a dog park.

Stay on Otley Old Road, crossing the A658 and past the end of Carlton Lane. The next left after that, think it is called York Gate but online maps tell me little, goes past the Royalty pub before that rather quick downhill bit on the way to Menston.

Followed by more downhill on the way to Otley. And a thought, where to stop for a snack? I decided on Wharfe Meadows Park, which gave me the opportunity to take a picture of the Spa in front of the weir there.

Spa by Weir01.jpg

Away from there is Farnley Lane, and rather than ride back through Otley I thought I might as well ride up to Farnley. Never any easier, that bit, but the view from the top can be great, as it was today. Down to Leathley Bridge, one way to cross the River Washburn, and turn right to head to Pool. Pedal onwards to Arthington, ride under the viaduct that shares the name and turn right for the last heave uphill of the day.

The top of Creskeld Lane is in Bramhope, and there I decided to ride the A660 back to Headingley. Not a busy road today, until the shopping centre was reached. Down the hill to Kirkstall, manoeuvre around a reversing articulated wagon wondering why the driver did not go straight on the way the thing was pointing, and me onto the towpath again. Home is a doddle from there, I reached the end of my street with thirty four miles ridden and 2198 feet climbed, some of it a bi steep. Enough for a smile though, proper good ride and weather to match.

A lot of to-ing and fro-ing

09112021.jpg

0911elev.jpg

theloafer

Legendary Member
todays little jaunt was to be a short affair as rain was forecast .so i headed to my fav cafe in Barnard Castle but decided to go the reverse of my normal route for a change, well into the wind in the hope it will help blow me back lol.
off through the industrial estate to pick up the cycle path up to Heighington making my way for Piecebridge then on to Eppleby my other fav cafe stop but with only 15 miles under my belt to early to stop .
pressing on to Cadwell-Thorpe and then the crossing of the A66,it was here i fancied a change of route .instead of Greta Bridge and back over the A66 my normal way, i choose to go up through Bignall then drop down to the easier crossing of the A66 which takes you down the B6277 to Barnard Castle.
while sat eating my bacon+chip butty i ummm and arrred about the return leg , with an eye on the sky i opted to take the B6278 out up towards folly top then tuned right to head to Woodland. and now the wind was at my back i was flying along 14 gear of the Rohloff and hitting 34 mph whoooooo... back on the B6282 through Toft Hill and down through Woodhouses and Tindale Crescent crossroads. has it was only 1 pm i headed left towards Spennymoor via the Auckland way cycle path to see a mate and get a coffee.
left Spennymoor climbed up to Kirk Merrington -Leasingthorne-Old Eldon dropped down the Elephants trunk to Shildon station and the cycle path home. and still no rain :okay: 62 miles and very warm

Morning Ride | Ride | Strava

galaxy

Veteran
a trip out to see a mate ,who is just out of hospital. he lives in Brandon .... which is only 15 miles up the road and just of the Bishop Auckland-Brandon railway path.. at Brandon so its always a great ride as its virtually all traffic free , ( all but 2 miles ) :okay:
i picked the track up just after the Newton Cap Viaduct on the right next to the entrance to the the Kynren show ground, the view from the viaduct was good this morning ... but seeing all the flower tribute's that are tied to the railings always make me feel sad and makes me glad of the people i have in my life.

Viaduct view
View attachment 617000
Kynren castle :whistle:
View attachment 617002
after coffee and biscuit's i continued along the Brandon rail line as far as Broompark ,which was my turn around point and planned my return via the Deerness Valley railway path. head towards Ushaw Moor-Esh Winning-Billy Row . from here i left the railway line and skirted Crook then just before Willington took a right up Rumby hill and down to High Grange, over the A689 through Witton Park through Woodside-down to Woodlouse's and down to Tindale Crescent back to shildon and the cyclepath home along side the rail line into Newton Aycliffe... just as the rain started to fall . timed it good :laugh::laugh:
Morning Ride | Ride | Strava 41 miles done :okay:
View attachment 617005
View attachment 617006
View attachment 617007
View attachment 617009
View attachment 617010
View attachment 617011
Great memories of cycling when I lived in the Nirth East

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday's ride:
I had some items to collect from town in the afternoon so decided to make a ride out of it. Took the cyclepaths round to Frankwell then, with my business done, headed through the Quarry (quite few people out enjoying the park), and along the riverside. A couple of young lads on bikes popped out from the path at Greyfriars Bridge without looking and got a fright to find me coming past. I always go wide here in case anyone does exactly that so missed them.

The tow path as far as the weir was fairly busy and at the weir itself there was a crowd with cameras apparently waiting to catch pics of the salmon leaping. I waited round for a few minutes but didn't see any. (I thought that happened earlier in the year :unsure:). (Edit: I've looked it up and it seems October and November are the salmon leaping season.)

I headed out of town via the old canal path to Uffington then took the lane to Upton Magna. With an overcast sky the light was fading already even though sunset was a while away. After the village I turned into the wind which slowed things down to Atcham and Cross Houses. Like last time out there were a few more cyclists around than I was expecting.

At Cross Houses I decided to extend the ride a bit and headed down the main road a bit then took the turning to Cound Stank. It was tempting to go a bit further still but the cloud to the southwest looked threatening so I headed towards Pitchford, Cantlop, Condover and braved the A49. I had a nice tailwind from Condover but the time of day meant the main road was a bit busy.

23.1 miles for this one at 12.8 average. Nothing special, just nice to be out.

Looking across the Quarry to the new St. Chad's church. (New is relative as it was built in the 1790s)

Activity at the Shrewsbury School boathouse.

The English Bridge.

Fish spotters at the weir.

After a slow start this year the autumn colours are coming along at Downton.

The Haughmond In at Upton Magna.

Last edited:

theloafer

Legendary Member
todays ride was to down to Northallerton. once i got through Darlington the traffic was manageable went down the A167 to Croft-on-Tees left turn up through Hurworth then Neasham over the river Tees heading for Hornby. then on to Appleton Wiske , the weather was not playing ball today dark dampish and dismal but sun was due :whistle: .
once through Appleton Wiske it was on towards Deighton and then into Brompton .then just a short run into Northallerton and my coffee stop with a yummy sausage sarnie at the Terrace café just off the high street up a ally nice and peaceful .
out of Northallerton on the A167 then via the B6271 up to Yafforth , then took a right turn down a lane to head for Danby Wiske then on towards Streetlam then Pepper Arden and Atley Hill, and the B1263 which i took a left down to Scorton.
round the huge roundabout and off towards Moulton.here i turned right to head past the Croft racing circuit and back to the A167 going back into Darlington the way i came though.
i took the quiet way out via Cockerton the up towards Walworth Gate and on to Heighington, then for a change as it was early went left to go through Redworth on to shildon to drop down to the cycle path back into home . legs feeling it a little poss been my 3 ride this week either that or am getting old :ohmy::laugh::laugh: grrrrr never checked Garmin 69.14 miles

Northallerton for a sausage sarnie | Ride | Strava

was so tempted to have a pint :laugh:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Today: Gav came over to meet up with Doug and I for one of our midweek evening rides. We headed over Lyth Hill to start with then round to Condover, Cantlop, Pitchford, Cound Stank, Berrington (taking the cleaner route utilising the A458) and back to town via Weeping Cross.

It was a nice leisurely ride with chat when the road conditions suited. We had a bit of a wait to cross the A49 which did seem particularly busy this evening, although the darkness may have made the streams of traffic look more daunting than usual. The roads after that were a lot quieter which did make for some good uneventful cycling.

A very pleasant ride on an evening that wasn't too cold and with no wind to speak of.

My speedometer shows 15.4 miles at 11 mph average.

I did grab a snapshot at the top of Lyth Hill. Do you think we are reflective enough?^_^

Top Bottom