Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cwskas

Über Member
Another glorious Autumn morning
Ignoring the forecast of awful weather today I decided that it didn’t look that bad and went out anyway
Marvelous scenery, well captured!

Last edited:

cwskas

Über Member
This last weekend I had the pleasure of three days camping at a lake not far from home with my 'Tour de Friends' group. Riding with them Wednesday evenings, as schedule allows, has been good for my consistency and strength.

My plan was to drive with my gear and trike, set up camp on thursday as early as they would let me in and spend the remainder of the day and most of Friday exploring as much as I could on rural roads. I expected most others would arrive late Friday and leave on Sunday around noon.

Thursday was a cold front passage and winds 25-30 mph gusting higher regularly. As I drove across the dam mid-afternoon on Thursday, the car was swaying in the wind. I suspect anyone that was following me might have thought me a bit 'impaired'.

When I arrived, my campsite was about 40 yards downwind from the shoreline. Plenty of trees around provided shade but there were none between me and the wind. I couldn't set my tent up even though I parked my car so as to (hopefully) create a wind break. I decided against riding and ended up sleeping in my van.

A nice sunset from my campsite

The wind was even stronger Friday, so I decided to do some motorized exploring and spent a fair amount of time enjoying the beautiful, but very windy day, taking in small county roads.

That afternoon others trickled in and we spent a fine evening pumpkin carving and sitting around a roaring fire in the middle of the more wooded area, more shielded from the wind. I was the only tent camper. By 9pm the wind had died down enough to allow me to setup the tent and I spent a nice night in my cozy bag.

Friday night pumpkin carving

There was a group ride on Saturday morning,
but I had a previous commitment to grandchildren!

Saturday night was a very good group meal followed by a group photo with many in costume and then the finals of the 16 team corn hole tournament and more fun around the fire pit.

The night was quite cool in the tent with calm winds. I was up by sunrise and off by 730 am to get a bundled up ride in before breakfast. About 6 miles exploring in the park near the lake and then a trip to the nearest town and back on a fairly busy state highway with good shoulders.

This coming week, my wife and I will be in a West Texas county with only one town, in a small cabin on a family owned, 3000 acre ranch.

I have several rides planned and it looks like the weather will cooperate.

Willie

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
What a very good morning that was! A bit dull to start with, which is what you expect in November, really. Time to take the Bob Jackson out, and I started with the idea of going up some hills today.

After the wander around a bit of Holbeck, the first bit of up was to the clock at Oakwood. Turn left there and eventually, still upward for a while, pass the big gates at Roundhay Park. I did not fancy the climb up to Slaid Hill, the short way, so I carried on to Moortown Corner, the flatter way. Going to blame gearchange inaccuracies for that, and I know I cannot fix that at the roadside. And I wanted to ride, so carried on.

Slaid Hill to Wike, and turn left to find the A61. It is roughly north to Harewood from the junction, and what felt like a tailwind helped me along that way. A left turn takes me to the bridleway that goes through the fields and down the hill to the A659, which I am going to travel east along, back to the A61.

Turn left to cross the River Wharfe, which was looking high, and a short while later turn left again. This is almost immediately in Dunkeswick, the road rises gently through here with views to Almscliff Crag ahead to the right. Weeton is reached after a bit of a descent, and the right turn to Huby was almost missed. As usual it is just about invisible until almost past it.

Distant Almscliff01.jpg

The photo was taken on the road out towards Huby, Almscliff Crag is only a pimple in the distance. Onward to Huby and at the A658, the Harrogate to Bradford road, turn left. The road goes to Pool, the views as I travelled along it are sort of great. The southern side of the Wharfe valley is not often sunlit, but there was enough today to show it very well indeed, happy cyclist here.

Cross back over the Wharfe just before reaching Pool and turn right to ride to Otley. For gearchange reasons Creskeld Lane was off route today, the ride up Leeds Road out of Otley was a bit of a drag, perhaps I should do this more often. Bramhope is next and today I decided to take the straight road home so direct to Headingley, down the hill to Kirkstall and along the towpath to Office Lock.

After a not so brisk wend around Hunslet the final stretch to my front door was soon reached. The smile had been in place most of the way around, autumn colours particularly bright this morning. Thirty eight miles and 1644 feet of going up gave my legs good reason to feel tired, but those were fun miles indeed.

And the garthing contributions,

02112021.jpg

0211elev.jpg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Took advantage of the great sunny weather this morning to nip out for a gentle meander around the lanes along the Severn estuary. Just 18.9 miles, but a great little ride. First I nipped down to Saul Junction where the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal meets the Stroudwater Canal. I thought I might just get to see my sister in law's narrowboat being craned into the water, but I probably timed it wrongly.

From there, I turned back and rode across the village of Saul to the banks of the River Severn at Priding. Nice views of May Hill and the Forest of Dean on the other bank:

I came home via Framilode and Epney, before crossing the canal twice more. This was rush hour in Framilode:

What a lovely, mild, sunny day for the beginning of November. The bike seems ready for its next big audax on Saturday. Not sure I am, though!
Cheers, Donger.

theloafer

Legendary Member
got myself motivated this morning as forecast was canny .... a bit chilly on setting out, headed to the seaside on my usual route down to Wynyard- GT Stainton-Bishopton-Thorpe Thewles and the start of the Wynyard cycle route.(and a great cafe) grabbed a hot coffee+sauage roll mainly to thaw my fingers .
it had got a lot warmer by the time i left there , down to Station Town and on towards Wingate were a sharp right to pick up the Castle Eden Walk/cycle route when i came across a fallen tree blocking the path.... once you pass Hart Station you leave the path and you meander almost at the Headland at Hartlepool -headed to the Marina then all the way into Seaton Carew a long the promenade .
left a long the Seal Sands road as the boss (Karon) lives just off there and was i need of tea+cake . once refreshed i set off back towards Thorpe Thewles at Redmarshall took a left and head towards the A66 as i dont like returning the same way as i came (OCD) I think. then over to the the road to Longnewton were i pick up the cyclepath into Darlington passing through Sadberge once in Darlington headed to the A167 and lastly the cyclepath back home. got 66miles under my belt so glad i pushed myself this morning ... ride to the seaside and called in to see the boss plus i needed tea+cake | Ride | Strava

gavgav

Guru
Out for a ride after finishing work and it was much chillier than my last evening outing, that would have been suitable for shorts.

It had been a nice sunny day here, after the first frost of the winter earlier on, with no rain forecast…….so as I reached Hook a Gate, it of course decided to rain :wacko:. Didn’t last too long though.

As I approached Annscroft I’d decided to vary from my normal route and take the lane that starts to climb up Lyth Bank, then around towards Exfords Green. Just as I was approaching the left turn, an utter moron in a convertible Saab passed me with hardly an inch to spare and then cut across the front of me to take the same left turn. I was fuming and gave chase for the initial flat section, being quite prepared to have it out with them and make them fully aware of what an idiot they are, but they pulled away on the hill. I very rarely react like that, but when someone does something so dangerous that it risks killing me, they deserve everything they get.

After that, I wasn’t in the mood to enjoy the rest of the ride, but a nice sunset over the Longmynd eased the anger and I paused to take a shot, albeit a few minutes after the best of it was in view

I called on dad for half an hour, to chat and calm down a bit, before heading home. I’d only gone a short distance to Gonsal, before I stopped to swap to full fingered gloves, as it was dropping properly cold and quickly, now it was dark.

I continued on to Condover and then along Lyons Lane. Met a few cars along there and the quality of the Cat Eye lights really come to the for, in the dark, with cars patiently waiting at pull ins, on the narrow sections, which they never do in the light :okay:

The road to Betton Abbots was busier than I would have liked and one Mini driver, decided to overtake me around a blind corner, straight into the path of an oncoming Audi, missing each other by inches. Too many people just really don’t know how to drive.

15.13 miles at 11.9mph avg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Monday:
It didn't look like a great day for a ride weather-wise but I was eager to get out anyway, having had a fortnight of minimal cycling, so headed out in the afternoon on the knockabout bike when the wind had eased a bit and there were fewer showers. The route was my Condover, Longnor, Acton Burnell, Harnage, Cound one, which is usually one of my regular rides but I haven't been round it for a while.

I went over Lyth Hill at the start which adds a little bit of distance and minimises the time spent on the A49. After that the lanes were nicely quiet and I enjoyed the run to Longnor despite the blustery wind. As hoped, the wind was helping to Acton Burnell and beyond which made for some enjoyable riding but I was a little wary of dark cloud and a rainbow visible to the north. That stayed in sight as far as the turnoff for Harnage and fortunately I only caught the edge of the rain shower so didn't need the waterproofs.

The flag of Shropshire was flying in Cound this time as i passed through. At Cound Stank I decided to take the road towards Pitchford, rather than heading for the probably busy A458, and back into the wind. It wasn't too bad through Cantlop and Condover then was more of a cross wind as I took the shorter way home.

24 miles at 13.2 mph average. Good to have got out.

Crossing Lyth Hill at the start.

An unsettled looking cloudscape over The Lawley and Caer Caradoc as seen from Ryton.

Looking wet ahead on my way to Frodesley.

Concord College at Acton Burnell.

Cound.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Tuesday:
I wasn't up and about quite as early as intended so shelved the idea of doing a challenge ride. Instead I thought Melverley and the hills above Criggion would be nice on a sunny morning.

The air felt more wintery than I was expecting as I got the knockabout bike out (there was ice on the car first thing). I headed out of town via Shelton and onto the road to Bicton then Montford Bridge where the river was bank full and made me hope that it wouldn't be high enough to cause any road closures later on.

The lanes to Montford, Shrawardine, Pentre and Melverley were very pleasant and didn't have much traffic on. The river wasn't high enough to reach the road although there was water close by at a couple of points near The Royal Hill. It was nice to see some other cyclists out enjoying the sunshine round here too.

Reaching Crew Green I took a right then left for Criggion. I'd forgotten that it climbs gently on the way and with a light headwind too I wasn't breaking any records, especially on this heavy bike that I haven't done much in the way of distance riding on during the warmer months. The big climb of the day up to Bulthy is much steeper from this side so had me puffing a bit and needing a couple of stops but it was worth it for the views which I hadn't been able to see last time I came this way. I enjoyed the descent the other side but reaching Halfway House I started to realise the hill had taken more out of me than expected and I could really have done with bringing a snack along.

From Westbury to Nox the road is fairly straight and trends downhill for about three miles. Even with a tailwind I wasn't as quick as I could be along this road and the climbs after Nox and at Shorthill were a bit of an effort. The lack of energy had me starting to feel the cold by Exford's Green. I didn't fancy two crossings of the A49 to finish with the flat route so climbed slowly over Lyth Hill instead.

40.6 miles for this one at 12 mph average. Enjoyed the ride overall but it took more out of me than I thought it would. Perhaps it would be a good idea to get some more practise in before trying the next challenge ride.

At Montford.

Nice looking barn at Alderton Hall.

The river Severn is really full at The Royal Hill.

The Royal Hill.

The bridge between Melverley and Crew Green. From where this was taken on the Welsh side you'd usually be able to cross a stile and join the Severn Way footpath.

At Criggion.

Part way up the climb to Bulthy. The road goes past the houses in the background after this.

About halfway up the road levels out for a bit and presents this viewpoint.

Looking along the valley from the top of the climb.

Much later in the ride now and looking towards Lyth Hill.

cwskas

Über Member
My friend, Brad (on his new Trek touring bike) joined me for a ride to a nearby caverns and back. It was low 60s for the whole ride, but light wind. Brad is much faster than I, but I managed to keep up except on longer climbs. I didn't get too many pictures. Either I was breathing hard or recovering when stopped. :laugh:

The route consisted entirely of Texas 'ranch to market' roads which had good shoulders. A fair amount of vibration due to road composition, but with sparse and quite considerate traffic.

The turnoff to the Caverns which has an RV park as well as tent camping.

Guard Peacocks

The last big climb

And just to try linking a video

A very enjoyable 41.59 mile workout in 3h18m moving for a respectable average of 13.7 mph. 4h15m trip time, 134 average heart rate, 153 maximum. I normally average somewhere closer to 120 HR.

Willie

theloafer

Legendary Member
todays ride was cut short due to been very Damp
1f923.png
1f923.png
1f923.png
still 42 miles is not that bad .wind was chilly this morning but headed out towards Barnard Castle had hope to progress up to Middleton-in-Teesdale but on leaving the cafe you could see the rain coming down the valley.
so just head homeward my usual route ..but did not out run the rain :cry: it got very very DAMP , still i got to have my fav bacon
butty....
Morning Ride | Ride | Strava

AndreaJ

Veteran
It was a lovely sunny morning for November’s 50km challenge ride so set off hoping I could get as far as the first turning to Loppington before the road closures which I did, then carried on into the village and turned by the pub to Nonely, Myddle and down Lower Road which looked lovely in the autumn sunshine, to Merrington. Onto Old Woods, Fennemere and Eyton where for the first time I have been this way the level crossing was down for a train to pass. Unlike the crossing in Wem where you can be waiting for 20 minutes the barriers here are up as soon as the train is through and I carried on into Baschurch. I decided to go through Weston Lullingfields, Bagley and Lee to Ellesmere then take my bike commuting route home via Coptiviney, Welshampton and Northwood which involved ignoring lots of road closed and diversion signs! 31.9 miles on a lovely sunny morning.
03FB5DB4-D086-4B3C-A2D5-64B6A5ED842C.jpeg

3118180C-C0D5-423B-BF15-41C0AEED64AD.jpeg

A185088A-B0C0-4663-A1CC-03DADFAC696F.jpeg

gavgav

Guru
Our for 2nd evening ride on consecutive days, but with the added bonus of being joined by @Rickshaw Phil and Doug. It was cold again, so I dug a thermal layer out of the draw, for the first time this winter.

We set off through Sutton Farm and Reabrook, then along the cycle paths to Heathgates, where 2 cars were courteous and pulled up to let us across the difficult and busy crossing at the roundabout. We then looped through Sundorne estate, before a bit of a wait to cross the busy Sundorne Road. A third courteous driver let us across:okay:

The old canal path was nice and quiet, just one other cyclist met and it was then out onto roads at Uffington. We had a moment, when turning left towards Upton Magna, as a truck started to reverse out of a driveway, into our path, meaning a swerve was required to avoid being collected.

The lane to Upton Magna was very quiet, with only a single car seen and we paused by the village shop and cafe, for a chat and drink. We then followed Pelham Road, to Berwick Wharf, with a moron in something like a Hilux/Navarra coming storming past doing what must have been 60mph on the country lane. There is always 1 fool on every ride.

Next was Atcham, where it had started to rain lightly, again not forecast as per last nights ride, and then on to Cross Houses, Berrington and Betton Abbots, where the rain got a little heavier for a short while, before we parted ways.

16.16 miles at a leisurely chatting pace of 11.1mph avg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A ride out in company this evening. Doug and I headed over to meet up with @gavgav and did a meandering route using the cycle paths towards Heathgates and Sundorne then looping round through Uffington, Upton Magna, Atcham, Cross Houses, Berrington and back to town via Weeping Cross.

After getting chilled yesterday I erred on the side of full winter layers, which proved to be a good move as there was a bite to the air that made it feel much colder than the 8C showing on the thermometer. With the clocks having changed at the weekend we were starting off after dark and around roads that seemed particularly busy initially. It does feel nice to be sailing past the queues sometimes.

There were quite a few cyclists out with about half of them having no lights and some no reflectors even. I can hear the frenzied scribblings of the newspaper letter writers already.:rolleyes: Something that was quite notable was the number of polite drivers this evening who waved us across the road when we were waiting. Always much appreciated.:okay:

Just the one cyclist on the old canal path and the road through Uffington wasn't what you could call busy. We did have a bit of a moment at the turning for Upton Magna when a pickup started reversing out from a concealed driveway just as we got to it. Having the lane to Upton Magna almost to ourselves made up for that a bit.

I was just going to comment on how quiet Pelham Road was when another pickup roared past at a ridiculous speed for the narrow road. That was followed by a stream of vehicles, although they were going more sensibly. It wasn't too bad for the rest of the ride with the lanes being practically empty and the main roads not being very busy. The weather obviously thought we were getting off too lightly though and gave some unexpected light rain.

Doug seemed to get on alright with this one and since he should have a bit more time available through the winter months I'm hoping to get him out on rides a bit more often.

20.1 miles for me at 11.3 mph average.

No photos from this one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom