Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
There was a field of it last year and it was used for sheep grazing then ploughed in so maybe it is used as a sort of nutrient fixing plant.

There‘s a green manure or cover crop called Phacelia. Looks a bit like a variety of that from a distance. Cover crops are a great way of keeping nutrients on fields and holding on to soil carbon.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Just a little figure of 8 on local, dirty lanes. Plenty of buzzards and a sparrow hawk seen.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6187267598

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
didnt go out as planned this morning as it was a downpour most of the morning , popped to the lbs for some spokes whilst mini ck 2 was at swimming lessons then this afternoon went out with mini ck 1 .
We managed 3 miles before it started raining although it was sunny when we set off :sad: luckily for mini ck 1 i was on my commuter so had a coat for him in my pannier although big he was at least semi dry .Got to the closest cafe stop after 5 miles where we bailed as it was heavy rain by then which looked to be not stopping any time soon .
After a good 40 mins i phoned home for mrs ck to fetch mini ck 1 as he was cold and then i proceeded to ride home , thankfully it had stopped raining by then but the roads were flooded in sections and i had put on some of the problematic planet x shorts so the legs kept riding up this meant stopping twice to pull them down as they were bunching in the crotch as the rose up and there was daylight between them and the leg warmers.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Got out for two hours yesterday for a steady 25 miles. Has rained heavily all week with strong winds so it was good to get a break. Lots of puddles which were fun but got wet feet and will have to clean the bike again. Today looks worse! Tomorrow more of the same forecast so will have to drive to work:sad:. Still better than up the road in Cumbria where Honister had the annual rainfall of Essex in 36 h!

PS Does anyone know how I can contact Piglet? I need someone to start bailing! Apologies to non Winnie the Pooh fans.

Last edited:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Another glorious Autumn morning, I could get used to this! I headed out north again, riding between the recently harvested fields and out on to the gravel trails. To the east the sun is low in the sky and lights up the trees in a golden glow. I head over the quiet, glider school runway and over to the edge of the forest before diving under the canopy.

The trail is dry and the leaves under my wheels are crackling as I ride over them.

After heading north for a few kilometres, I turn east and over the main road, before heading north again into the forest. The trail now turns and weaves its way, first through plantations of pine, then older Sessile Oak and Birch. The different trees creating a wonderful mosaic of colour. The ground is dry and firm and I'm making good time.

After an hour, I come to an intersection that I'd been avoiding in the summer, the connecting track has been over grown and difficult to traverse. Now in Autumn the vegetation was much lower and I could see my way through and onto the other side. Further on and it was time to take a short track down to the river and a quick break.

From here, I join the old post road, an old track through the forest, that today is a Wald Autobahn, with good compacted gravel which sees me make fast time between the trees. After several kilometres of traveling west, I turn south onto more fast gravel trails and just mellow out in the sun. Then the trails become more narrow and start to turn into singletrack as they weave between the trees, it's a veritable maze of routes out here as I turn this way and that. Then one last dreamy piece of singltrack awaits, twisting this way and that between the stands of pine.

After this, it's through a small town and onto the kilometres that makes its way through the forests to the North East. Then after 39 kilometres I roll back into my garden, contented and happy. I don't know how many more days await of lovely Autumnal riding, before Winter makes itself felt, but I'm making the most of it while I can.

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
Ignoring the forecast of awful weather today I decided that it didn’t look that bad and went out anyway although my winter jacket made its first appearance for a while just in case. It had been raining quite hard in the night and there was lots of puddles about.
It looks like whoever is in charge of roadworks in Shropshire has just dumped all of their road closed and diversion signs in this bit of North Shropshire - they are everywhere which is going to make getting anywhere “interesting” next week.
Ignoring the first set of signs I set off to Loppington, Lyneal and into Welshampton to see if I could get past the closure on the road back to Northwood which is the way I need to get to work tomorrow, eventually I find the reason for the road being closed for 6 days is a hole dug by Severn Trent on one side of the road which seems a bit daft. Carried on through to Northwood and turned off to Whixall taking a detour over the canal swing bridge for a change then back through Whixall turning onto Goblins Lane to Waterloo, Poolhead, Foxholes, Horton and back home.
The lanes are very wet, muddy and covered in wet leaves but the weather turned out to be quite nice, no rain, light wind and even some sunshine although it has been very windy this afternoon. 21.9 miles.
6082B1B4-93A5-4E39-98A3-F5EF1EAAE7C1.jpeg

16EB670D-6CDB-4035-A270-265A41F06910.jpeg

13 rider

Guru
Well what a dreadful weekend of weather here in Leicester . Saturday morning was taken up with food shopping and a trip to the LBS to allow me to reinstall a tubeless set up on my TCRs rear wheel from scratch . By 1400 it had stopped raining so a test ride was called for had an hour to spare so I had my eyes on a new strava segment a few hilly miles away so route decided . Through Newtown Linford up to Markfield up and down past Thornton reservoir to loop back to Markfield to where the segment started ,previous best of 2 attempts 14 mins for 40th place sub 11.30 for a top ten was the target ,Kom 9.30 seemed unreachable . Were off steep ramp to start then a fast downhill on to Priory lane then the horrid bit steep ramp that gets steeper ground my way up that a bit of respite as the climbing continued but much shallower ,time looks good just pressed up Whitcroft lane to the end . 9 mins 52sec equal 3rd place was my reward . I think I could get 2nd on a perfect day 6 seconds required but the Kom is beyond me . A long time since I gone that deep so a rest was required before heading home 17 miles in the Bag
Sunday awoke to rain kept checking the weather app and hopefully looking out the window . By 1400 it's stopped raining and cleared so I managed to get round my 50km loop out to Wymeswold and back in the dry apart from road spray . Spent a few minutes watching cars driving through the flood under the bridge at the A46 I wouldn't have gone for it in my car . The ride was made interesting by the blustery conditions as it does catch my deep section wheels but after 2 years I now confident handling the bike in these conditions but it was on the limit of what's safe . Back to work tomorrow just as the conditions improve
Well done everyone who got out this weekend

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Well what a dreadful weekend of weather here in Leicester . Saturday morning was taken up with food shopping and a trip to the LBS to allow me to reinstall a tubeless set up on my TCRs rear wheel from scratch . By 1400 it had stopped raining so a test ride was called for had an hour to spare so I had my eyes on a new strava segment a few hilly miles away so route decided . Through Newtown Linford up to Markfield up and down past Thornton reservoir to loop back to Markfield to where the segment started ,previous best of 2 attempts 14 mins for 40th place sub 11.30 for a top ten was the target ,Kom 9.30 seemed unreachable . Were off steep ramp to start then a fast downhill on to Priory lane then the horrid bit steep ramp that gets steeper ground my way up that a bit of respite as the climbing continued but much shallower ,time looks good just pressed up Whitcroft lane to the end . 9 mins 52sec equal 3rd place was my reward . I think I could get 2nd on a perfect day 6 seconds required but the Kom is beyond me . A long time since I gone that deep so a rest was required before heading home 17 miles in the Bag
Sunday awoke to rain kept checking the weather app and hopefully looking out the window . By 1400 it's stopped raining and cleared so I managed to get round my 50km loop out to Wymeswold and back in the dry apart from road spray . Spent a few minutes watching cars driving through the flood under the bridge at the A46 I wouldn't have gone for it in my car . The ride was made interesting by the blustery conditions as it does catch my deep section wheels but after 2 years I now confident handling the bike in these conditions but it was on the limit of what's safe . Back to work tomorrow just as the conditions improve

I "rode" in the garage this weekend :laugh:

Alex321

Veteran

I got out yesterday, but today was just so windy I don't think it would have been safe. I'm not as comfortable yet with my relatively deep section wheels in crosswinds as you are.

Yesterday was well away from my usual haunts, as my wife was meeting some Sealed Knot friends for a sewing day in Gloucestershire (North Nibley, so I took the bike and went for a ride round there.

Got strava to give me a random 30 mile hilly route. Started Ok, going out through Stinchcombe, but then just beforer Coaley was supposed to turn left towards Frocester, but the road was closed. Though I'd carry on through Coaley and take the next left to get back where I should be. But there really wasn't a "next left", and my wahoo couldn't find a re-route from where I was.

So worked my way a bit left, through some back roads, until I came out in Uley. Which then lead to Crawley hill! That was quite hard work. After that, I came to a turn signed for Frocester, and took it - down hill, at which point the wahoo picked up the rout again - back up the hill I'd just come down. If I'd realised at the top, I could have got back on route, but I wasn't going to turn round and go straight back up that one, so decided to work my way back.

From Frocester, out through Eastington, and onto the A38. Not entirely happy about such a busy road, but it did have cycle lanes marked along the sides, so I rode a few miles along it until I saw a sign for North Nibley, which I took. Flooded road under the railway bridge, so I got soaked feet, but ten just a couple of flattish miles, then another steep hill to finish.

Total 25 miles with 590m of climbing, at an average speed of 15.9mph. No photos, as I forgot to turn on the GoPro, and was more concerned about finding my way than stopping for photos.

And that took me to 500 miles and 35,000 feet of climbing for October. The most I have done in one month.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6187107791

1635713645521.png

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
.... So worked my way a bit left, through some back roads, until I came out in Uley. Which then lead to Crawley hill! That was quite hard work. After that, I came to a turn signed for Frocester, and took it - down hill, at which point the wahoo picked up the rout again - back up the hill I'd just come down. If I'd realised at the top, I could have got back on route, but I wasn't going to turn round and go straight back up that one, so decided to work my way back....
That's right in my patch, @Alex321. Hope you enjoyed it. That hill you didn't fancy going back up was Frocester Hill. Some fantastic views of the Severn Valley to be had on the way down .... perhaps my favourite views in the whole of Gloucestershire. In my Alps-climbing days I used to use Frocester Hill and Crawley Hill for my final training sessions before heading off for France. I'd double up on the two hills in quick succession by climbing Frocester Hill, dropping down Crawley Hill as far as Uley without stopping, and turning round in the village to climb back up Crawley Hill immediately after. Both are a bit steeper than your average main road in the Alps, so it made for at least 3 miles of quite tough climbing with only a 5-10 minute rest in the middle. If I could do that, I knew I was ready for a steady 7 mile climb in the Alps. The last time I did that was a couple of years back, and I can't imagine ever doing it again! It might not be Wales, but we do have proper hills here in Gloucestershire!

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
That's right in my patch, @Alex321. Hope you enjoyed it. That hill you didn't fancy going back up was Frocester Hill. Some fantastic views of the Severn Valley to be had on the way down .... perhaps my favourite views in the whole of Gloucestershire. In my Alps-climbing days I used to use Frocester Hill and Crawley Hill for my final training sessions before heading off for France. I'd double up on the two hills in quick succession by climbing Frocester Hill, dropping down Crawley Hill as far as Uley without stopping, and turning round in the village to climb back up Crawley Hill immediately after. Both are a bit steeper than your average main road in the Alps, so it made for at least 3 miles of climbing with only a 5-10 minute rest in the middle. If I could do that, I knew I was ready for a steady 7 mile climb in the Alps. The last time I did that was a couple of years back, and I can't imagine ever doing it again! It might not be Wales, but we do have proper hills here in Gloucestershire!
I did enjoy it, though might have enjoyed it more if I weren't a bit lost :smile:

And yes, definitely some proper hills. Frog hill back into N Nibly at the end was quite steep too, though not as long.

Looking back at Strava afterwards, the route should have taken the closed road to Frocester (and the diversions for that seem to be 6 miles+), then up Frocester hill, but then turn left, rather than down to Uley, and head round through Minchinhampton (with another big climb en-route), then towards (but not into) Tetbury and round past Wotton_under_edge and back to North Nibley.
About 10 miles further and 1000 feet more climbing than the route I actually did.

Top Bottom