Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
First time I've visited this thread for a while, having shockingly failed to hold up my end. Very impressed by some of the rides / images and the general tenacity of some on here!

Today I dragged the sh*thouse express out of the shed, negotiated the Krypton-factor-inspired garden and house to make it out the front, then set off the mile or two to get to the next village to get eggs. It was damned cold - too much for my middling gloves and walking fleece with T-shirt.

I arrived to find the last box of eggs being bought.. however redeemed the trip by scoring some cheap dinner components in the Co-op.

Barely any distance and not enormously pleasant but I did feel better for getting out nonetheless. I suspect if the weather's permitting the journey will be repeated tomorrow in the hope that stocks have been replenished.. while it's a good excuse to do marginally more than sod all on the bike..

ianbarton

Veteran
I can recommend the bus shelter at Ightfield to stop for lunch. It's nice and sheltered and there are no longer any buses. Also, there is a sheltered bench at the entrance to the church at Prees.

footloose crow

Über Member
23 December. The halcyon days of winter

There is supposed to be a weather 'singularity' around the winter solstice, a period of quiet weather, mild, less wind. The pre Christian Greeks called this time of year the 'Halcyon Days' and celebrated with feasts and parties. Today, once the rain had passed through, I felt a halcyon day coming and by midday I could see well defined shadows across the lawn from a newly emerged sun and the garden windmill barely spinning. An opportunity for a ride then....

Deep leaf litter in the lanes, a tall dyke in the middle of the road and tyre scrubbed lines of dirty tarmac either side. Have to be careful on the steep downhill sections, remembering the places and times when there have been wobbles, slides, the slaloming back wheel skid over wet grit and mud. The sun is low, lines of light between the trunks of winter bare trees. Even the brambles have gone quiet, drawing in, leaves turning brown. The hedgerows are empty, everything hiding away until the longer days of January when the first snowdrops may appear. Sometimes we get daffodils in December, but not this year.

I could give you a list of villages and towns I pass though but there are none. An isolated church, its reason for being there no longer apparent unless it was for a congregation of hungry cows, noisy crows, blurred wing pheasants. At the gaps in the tall hedges I can see across the valley to small, dirty fields, scrubbed of green by the rains of recent weeks, isolated woods where the pheasants hide from foxes and sometimes shooters, small farmhouses fringed with shelter trees planted by the generations before.

The road rises and I puff and heave on the bars, out of condition and not yet fully recovered from a back injury. The descents make me nervous, gripping the hoods too tight, fingers wrapped on the brakes, listening for cars coming around the next bend.

I have seen three cars in the last hour. Everyone is getting ready for Christmas and Truro is full of shoppers, confident that omicron hasn't arrived in Cornwall - although the visitors and second homers will surely bring it with them. That leaves the lanes empty for me and this is my favourite short ride, a loop to the north of Truro on forgotten roads, grimy with mud, twisting, rising and falling through innumerable small valleys. There is hardly any flat but the hills are thankfully short, if somewhat frequent. Every minute brings a gear shift but the big ring is rarely troubled.

Home again, as the sun loses its pretend-warmth, shivering a little in my short sleeved top. The bike will need a clean but Madame Crow has jobs for me to do first. I can see on Strava that I was slower today than on any of my previous times around this ride. Well it gives me something to improve on next time.

25km, 450m of uphill. The underwhelming statistics belie the pleasure I had from the ride, to be outside, to be getting some Vitamin D like a good sexagenarian.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Today's bicyclic itinerary echoed that of yesterday; down to the farm shop on the old Raleigh then back via the Co-op. This time I scored a whole six eggs and the Co-op rewarded me richly with a good stock of reduced goods.

I wore the same as yesterday but thanks to the cloud cover it was a lot warmer; my garms this time proving perfectly appropriate. The tradeoff being a little light drizzle but nothing of any consequence. Rationally it could have been a good day for a "proper" ride, however I didn't really feel like it and (without going on an enormous ramble) I lack appropriate clothing to wear with my jersey-chewing rucksack :rolleyes:

The bike's been left in the kitchen in anticipation of a hat-trick tomorrow and hopefully a better supply of the precious..

gavgav

Guru
I made the most of my day off, one of the few I can actually have off over the festive period, to get in my annual pre Christmas ride to my Mum, Nan’s & Grandad’s graves.

It was a cool start when I set out, but soon warmed up as I meandered my way out of Shrewsbury, via Meole, Nobold, Copthorne, Gains Park and along Calcott Lane, to Bicton, where the first church stop was made, for Nan & Grandad’s grave.

I then took the more direct route back to Shrewsbury, through Shelton, with an annoyingly close pass from a pillock in a van, who only moved out after he’d passed me!

I followed the cycle paths back to Meole and then along the old railway path, through Sutton Farm, to the Crematorium, where I spent a few minutes by my other Nan & Grandad’s plaque.

I then went through the estate to Emstrey island and out onto the very busy A458, where I encountered pillock number 2, who couldn’t be bothered to take notice of my clear signal to turn right onto the Betton road and promptly overtook me as I was about to turn off. Prat!

Thankfully after that, the lanes to Condover and Gonsal were quiet. The view to Church Stretton was impressive, as I turned onto Lyons Lane, with an inversion in the distance. Not sure the picture really does it justice, but you can see the Caradoc poking out above the cloud.

I crossed the A49 without a car in sight, rare at any time, never mind on Xmas Eve, into Stapleton and then stopped for some lunch with dad, plus a walk over to Mum’s grave.

I set back out to Exfords Green and decided to avoid the main road, by climbing to Little Lyth and then up onto Lyth Hill. Strangely busy with traffic up there, as I had to pull in to let 5 cars past. It was heaving with cars and people enjoying a walk up at the top of the hill, so I didn’t hang about and descended along the muddy track, then down the road into Bayston Hill.

I looped around the village, via Overdale and then down Pulley Lane, to Meole again, passing the long queues into the retail park thinking I’m glad not to be driving in that.

I arrived home with 28.12 miles on the clock

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Nice 15 miles, out on the Genesis, because it’s my favourite bike in the world.
There was a bit of trail/gravel, some road, some mud. Bike bud wanted to ride around the city centre (no idea why) so we stopped at the light tunnel which is not overly impressive in daylight.
I have promised him that we’ll walk up later, with the dogs, and look at it in the dark.
The bar tape was my present to my Genesis. It’s pretty.

Ediited to add ‘in the dark’ pics. Dogs now comatose on the sofa.

Attachments

• FD84D422-133B-4B63-A2AB-A81F18D0ACCE.jpeg
    FD84D422-133B-4B63-A2AB-A81F18D0ACCE.jpeg
    214 KB · Views: 7
  • 6BCB8D5D-124B-4779-BA9B-C31B817A03E9.jpeg
    6BCB8D5D-124B-4779-BA9B-C31B817A03E9.jpeg
    415.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 060FCF23-696E-4BC2-94F5-38CD90F6B470.jpeg
    060FCF23-696E-4BC2-94F5-38CD90F6B470.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 9
  • CEDFC9B7-CB8F-4DA6-B066-291962C8D49E.jpeg
    CEDFC9B7-CB8F-4DA6-B066-291962C8D49E.jpeg
    228.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 2F18CD4B-360A-47D0-B059-4700906B4690.jpeg
    2F18CD4B-360A-47D0-B059-4700906B4690.jpeg
    214 KB · Views: 7
  • 054751D5-59CE-4756-A26E-B9D5CFDB8A02.jpeg
    054751D5-59CE-4756-A26E-B9D5CFDB8A02.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Merry Xmas every one ,Only me at home this Christmas had dinner arranged at big sisters for 2 pm so time to get a ride in . Out the door at 8.15 in to a dull dreary day .Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley were I past a runner in an elf costume (it must be christmas ) seasons greetings were exchanged . Went up the Wreake valley into a strong headwind ,Ratcliffe ,Thrussungton at Hoby I turned for Ragdale as I climbed towards the village there is an exposed ridge with a crosswind and at every gap in the hedge the wind court my deepish section wheels making it an interesting stretch . Dropped into the village and began the climb out and it felt like a tailwind so decided to try an effort up the hill made it 3/4 of the way up before I had to frantically drop out the big ring before I ground to a halt . Turned into a proper tailwind so a quick run into Wymeswold and on to Barrow before another turn saw a crosswind or headwind for the rest of the way home . In Barrow past another runner this one dressed in a Santa outfit I shout your running late Santa as I past . As I rode last I noticed he was using a prosetic running blade the first time other than on TV I seen one . Mountsorrel and home 33 and a bit miles stayed almost dry you could hardly called what fell rain and didn't need the rain jacket . Home in plenty of time for a shower ,quick visit to my other sister then big sisters for lunch which I felt I'd earned

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Sunshine and blue skies for the first time in weeks, luckily we open presents in the evening of the 24th here, so without that job to perform, I was able to make a hasty exit after an early breakfast. I tried to ignore the thermometer that was registering minus 6, as I passed and headed out into the beautiful morning.

For the first kilometres I try to ignore the pain in my hands and toes as the cold started to bite and my Reynauds kicks in. One advantage of the cold temperatures though is the frozen ground, for the first ride in weeks, theres no mud being thrown up from the ground and the puddles are all deep frozen.

The trail winds on through the stands of pine and the sun is struggling to reach down into the depths of the forest. The usual soft sand sand has been replaced by frozen rock hard ground and the going is tough. Despite the cold temperatures, the only ice to be found is in the puddles and the going is not too treacherous.

After the next forest section, I'm out through the small village and on to the horse paddocks on the other side. In between the trees the horses are grazing and foraging between the trees.

Just passed here it's over the river at the waterworks and onto the small island. Crossing the second arm of the river by the lock gate and I can see ice floating on the surface. It won't take much to freeze the river here like last winter. I swing back round East now and start to head towards home. At one point I stop to free up my gear cable which has frozen in the low temperatures, leaving me stranded in one gear.

Then it's onward through the last forest trails, my extremities not feeling quite so frozen as before. The sun is still low in the sky and struggling to penetrate down to the forest floor.

Finally after 25km I roll back home for a well deserved coffee and hot shower before spending a relaxed day with the family. A great Christmas day ride.

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
Cold and drizzly but avoided the snow that decorated the Pennines and Lakes so got out for a 40 mile ride. Headed over Littledale and then the steep descent to the Lune valley. Road up the left bank of the Lune, sort of Sartre meets the Brontes, and to Kirby Lonsdale. Fields full of Fieldfare, redwing and on the higher farms lapwing and curlew. KL was largely shut so the emergency rations were consumed in the market square. Then some hills over Hutton Roof including some new roads to me. 40 miles and 1100m of climbing felt enough for post Christmas legs.

Pictures show the top of the world at Littledale, gorgeous rusty bracken and bike posing on Lune bridge at Gressingham

cwskas

Über Member
I managed over 4000 miles last year and therefore set a goal of 5000 miles for 2021. But unforeseen circumstances and responsibilities had left that behind by mid-year and I changed my goal to 4000 miles. Several months ago it seemed I would be doing well to get 3000 miles, so I reduced my goal again.

On December 21st, it had been 16 days since I had been on the trike and I was in desparate need of getting outside. I also realized I would have to work hard to reach my twice reduced goal, so off I went for a 30 mile ride. It was 39 degrees, but was beautiful and just what I needed. I called it my "What a day for a daydream" ride. I did not take but one picture and never even got off the trike. 2h25m moving out of 2h27m total, averaged 12.8 mph.

On December 22nd, I rode with 3 much faster friends. They know that I am familiar with the territory and I dont want to slow them down. I just try to keep them in sight and I can usually catch up at a rest stop. 43 degrees average temp, I averaged 14 mph over another 30 miles, 2h8m moving, 2h28m overall.

A friend of mine and I had been trying to coordinate his first 100k ride starting at Bastrop State Park. A once beautiful park ravaged by wildfire about 10 years ago. It is still a nice ride which neither of us had done. On December 23rd we finally got it done. It was a 2.5 hour drive for me each way, so we didnt get started too early. I also was able to take a lot of pictures. I am going to post a few here and then a separate post to sneak in some more.

These first 2 images give a perspective of the trees before the fire. The forest was very dense.

The surface inside the park is excellent.

There was quite a lot of up and down with some steep inclines

Last edited:

cwskas

Über Member
Brad's first 100k continued . . .

Roughly the first 10 miles took through the park and then we turned north to the small community of Antioch. The road was small with very little traffic and mostly downhill, quite relaxing countryside.

In Antioch we turned east on what showed in satellite images to be paved. It was, for about 2-3 miles, and then turned into probably the worst surface I have ridden on for about 5-6 miles. It seemed that they had removed the old surface then graded it and piled a lot of gravel on (hopefully for those who live there) in preparation for further repair. I would have trouble with traction sometimes on the inclines which approached 7-8% at times and going down the other side, I would hang on for dear life. Even using my brakes to control my speed did not offer relief.

Then we got back on good surface for more pleasant views. I could have taken a lot more pictures, but it would be a long day and neither us knew what challenges lay ahead.

We had to make a detour due to an accident which closed the road and added some distance, so we adjusted our route a bit to compensate and at about 35 miles, we arrived at the community of Winchester and had a good rest stop with some ice cream as a reward.

About 10 miles further, we entered Buescher State Park which is adjoined to Bastrop by the multi-use road we started on. Buescher was not as affected by the fire and it was very scenic riding.

I had intended to take another panoramic view at the high point which was in Bastrop SP, but it was getting late and I decided the view from Buescher SP would suffice.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
Nice photos @cwskas it's nice to see some blue sky and sunshine . I've forgotten what it looks like . A 50 miler today under a depressingly grey sky stayed dry but it was grim out there and the bikes filthy
Yeah. I got in19 miles today. Didn't get rained on, but the roads were seriously wet and muddy, and like yours, my bike was caked in mud when I got back.

Top Bottom