Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bagpuss

Guru
Sunday 27 March .
The only ride I did whilst staying near Clungunford .
From our farm stay into Clungunford and on I plodded into Leintwardine .
51977580198_e12f256c90_b.jpg DSCN1740 by rebalrid, on Flickr
Trouble ahead was the warning on a roadside sign.
51977586188_0bd8b97728_b.jpg DSCN1738 by rebalrid, on Flickr
& into the back roads to Burrington ,with its lovely church.
51977582218_b5b8cd7087_b.jpg DSCN1743 by rebalrid, on Flickr
Continuing onto Pipe Aston and uphill to the Mortimer Forest .This is a fair pull and the sort you just have to keep twiddling the low gears {at least I do } The road takes you on to Whitcliffe woods . From here is a long downhill to Ludlow .This is the sort of descent if you know the road 50 mph would easily be acheived { on a closed road mind!!} . The T junction at the bottom and lights before the bridge into the town would be interesting in a road race .
The view point on the descent gives a panoramic view of Ludlow .
51976500197_c60951f27d_b.jpg DSCN1748 by rebalrid, on Flickr After tea & a sausage butty I continued onto Stanton Lacey .Here a Red Kite patrolled above the fields to my left.
Into Diddlebury.
51977600026_688e61837b_b.jpg DSCN1750 by rebalrid, on Flickr
The last leg took me back to Craven Arms & into Broome .
A ride that gives you the magic of Shropshire & a bit of Herefordshire then back into Shropshire . A pleasant ride with one good climb .

Last edited:

Sallar55

Veteran
John Muir trail on way back

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I set off at about 07:20 this morning, with the temperature at around 0°. I had decided I should be doing more club rides, and the Saturday Social Ride started in town at 09:00. I warmed up over Straightway Head and cruised into Exeter about half an hour early, so did a loop to keep warm. 8 of us set off in a tight peloton, joined shortly by Ken, to make a less satisfactory 9. The route took us on the A-road to Bickleigh and then into the hills to Black Dog and then down to Crediton. More hills to Tedburn and then we turned back for Exeter to finish at a cafe on the quay.
After coffee & a bacon bap Ken and I headed east, he eventually turning off for home while I climbed back over to Honiton. 85 miles in total.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6920309559

gavgav

Guru
I was up later than usual this morning, after a late night in Birmingham seeing John Bishop. He was very funny. So I eventually hauled myself out of bed and got in a short ride around my Town loop.

It was a bit milder than yesterday, but still nothing like the shorts and t-shirt weather of last weekend’s ride and back to full layers. I went through Reabrook and then along the cycle paths to Heathgates.

From there I went down through Castlefields, to the River Severn and onto the towpath. Not long after joining it, I came across mud all over the place and to the right was an old rusty bike that had been fished out of the river and was covered in detritus. That won’t be ridden again.

It was busy along the towpath and so a bit of bell ringing was required, to get along. Approaching the English Bridge, I came across some chaps from the search and rescue team, who were getting ready to continue the search for a young man who went missing after a night out in the Town, last weekend. Very sad and the longer it goes on, the more you fear he has ended up in the River. I know someone who has a connection to the family, as well, which makes it doubly sad.

The Quarry was busy with people out walking and as i approached Porthill Bridge I came across police cordoning off the bit towards Victoria Avenue. Reading the news tonight, I find it’s due to another chap being fished out of the river last night and who is in a bad way in hospital…Sad times.

I climbed up through Porthill and then along the cycle paths to Shelton, before heading through the newish estate at Bowbrook, where the bottom half the road has finally been properly Tarmacced, meaning a nice smooth surface, instead of the rough builders road that had been in place for a couple of years.

I then followed Mousecroft Lane, up through Nobold and around Meole Village, then home.

12.72 miles at 11.6mph avg

Landsurfer

Veteran

Sunday morning run out .... dry and not freezing. On the loop from Braithwaite i drove past the remains of 8 burnt out cars !!
It would appear that this area is the dump and burnout area for the scumbag car thieves of Doncaster.

Sign in the canal carpark at Braithwaite where i normally park but today I parked in Barnby Dun after a combination of closed roads and taking a wrong turn.

Sykehouse Church .... only used occasionally these days ...

And in every hedge, at every junction, alongside roads throughout the area .... discarded masks ....... a single use plastic disaster for our countryside.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Nobody to ride with today so out for a solo spin on the Tricross. A lovely bright day but windy, fields of oil seed rape in full flower looked beautiful. Out to Selby via Wistow Lordship, Just over 30 miles with an average of 16mph.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
The plan today, as much as I make a plan anyway, was to cycle in to Canterbury early and pick up NCN 1 to Sandwich. The signage however was particularly awful even for Sustrans. I don't know if people nick them or peel the stickery ones off but despite knowing I had to keep North on my compass to my left I lost the route somewhere and meandered through some beautiful countryside and saw at least four little cottages I would love to live in. I endedup passing a pub that did food just as they opened. With serendipity like that I stopped for lunch and a pint. Chatted to a couple of guys on bikes who followed me in from the other direction. Hi guys if you are on CC! After lunch I rolled along towards the sea following North on the compass and came upon Reculver only a few miles from home. Sunny but chilly. Wonderful ride all round.
20220403_113837.jpg
20220403_101253.jpg
20220403_093415.jpg

Mike_P

Guru
Sunny intervals, feels like 6C said the BBC weather while the Met Office cheerfully advised the westerly may gust to 26mph. 1.1kg of kit on (shoes excepted) and the cycle route followed to the B6161 to avoid the westerly upwards A59. Down to Hampsthwaite and the Lower Nidderdale valley.

No route stays in the valley so up to Clapham Green, the high hedges buffeted the wind until right at the top and down Elton Lane to Birstwith. Up again followed by a longer decent to turn onto the bridleway across Ross Bridge over the River Nidd , climbing up to and along the B6165. Then the long drag north west of Stripe Lane to Hartwith. I paused on what was probably a false flat rather than a level stretch to let a delivery lorry pass. North from Hartwith the lane suddenly levels and even descends. At the end the climbing resumed west north west.

At the right of the photo is the looming mass of part of Brimham Rocks which I subsequently arrived at after a ride equating to 100ft/mile of climbing; the car park very busy and the rock with a convenient formation like a seat was occupied for a snack.
Followed the route of NCN688 Way of the Roses looping around the rocks then heading north and then largely downgrade to the east.

Left the NCN and then the decent of Scarah Bank.

Through Ripley and onto NCN67 Nidderdale Greenway.

Then westwards via Bilton Lane and the A59 with speed slightly mitigated by the wind.
23.33 miles 1831ft climbed 12.6mph avg

theloafer

Legendary Member
today was a ride out with 2 mates just round my route to Barnard castle and back .. but even after 28 years i was shown new and better choice's of a few roads ... i did not know that there was an under pass under the A66 ... :okay: and also a couple of bridleway,s which looked private roads ^_^ 52 miles all steady as we chatted and took turns on the front ( no pics though)

https://www.strava.com/activities/6927090614

Last edited:

bagpuss

Guru
Friday 1st April!!:wacko:
After looking at the weather forecast, I gritted my teeth for my ride home, which was basically reverse polarity of my outward route with a little 're-wiring' here and there. I left our farmstay and headed off to Clungunford and Broome. Onwards a short ride to Craven Arms and then the undulating road up the Western side of the Wenlock Edge to Much Wenlock.
51978978992_20fe880b00_b.jpg DSCN1751 by rebalrid, on Flickr
A quick hot drink and a slab of cake, and I found my way into Ironbridge via Benthall, and down to Jackfield and on to the bridge at Ironbridge.
51980062053_bc0c1a5c9d_b.jpg DSCN1753 by rebalrid, on Flickr

51980267474_8e903a48d1_b.jpg DSCN1754 by rebalrid, on Flickr

From Ironbridge I continued up past the Blists Hill Museum, tapping it out up the climb. Through Halesfield Industrial Estate and on to Shifnal. Continuing on to the A41, having another hot drink at the petrol station at Tong Norton. Spinning up to Bishops Wood and Brewood, and on to Penkridge for lunch. From Penkridge I followed my outward route back through Brockton, on the edge of Cannock Chase, downhill to Milford and on to The Haywoods for another hot drink at the garden centre. Down Bishton Lane to Colton. Here I did another re-wire of my outward route, spinning through Blithbury, Hamstell Ridware and Yoxall. Up the back of Hadley End and along to Dunstall, where I took shelter in the church porch for a passing snow shower.
51980549920_4165ba91f2_b.jpg DSCN1757 by rebalrid, on Flickr

Continuing on up through Tatenhill, Anslow, past the castle at Tutbury, to the Saltbox at Hatton for my final hot drink. Finishing the last leg of my ride took me through Sutton on the Hill, Dalbury Hollow, Radbourne Hollow, As I approached home, the sky had turned really dark, and for my last mile home I was caught in a right good hailstorm, with it pattering on my helmet, and I was glad to arrive home. The earworm for the ride was Bob Seger's 'Running against the wind'. A rewarding ride on a somewhat cold day! and enough hot drinks to float a boat .🫖
ooh and a hand full of miles further than my outward ride .

Last edited:

galaxy

Veteran
Sunday 27 March .
The only ride I did whilst staying near Clungunford .
From our farm stay into Clungunford and on I plodded into Leintwardine .
View attachment 638314 DSCN1740 by rebalrid, on Flickr
Trouble ahead was the warning on a roadside sign.
View attachment 638315 DSCN1738 by rebalrid, on Flickr
& into the back roads to Burrington ,with its lovely church.
View attachment 638319 DSCN1743 by rebalrid, on Flickr
Continuing onto Pipe Aston and uphill to the Mortimer Forest .This is a fair pull and the sort you just have to keep twiddling the low gears {at least I do } The road takes you on to Whitcliffe woods . From here is a long downhill to Ludlow .This is the sort of descent if you know the road 50 mph would easily be acheived { on a closed road mind!!} . The T junction at the bottom and lights before the bridge into the town would be interesting in a road race .
The view point on the descent gives a panoramic view of Ludlow .
View attachment 638317 DSCN1748 by rebalrid, on Flickr After tea & a sausage butty I continued onto Stanton Lacey .Here a Red Kite patrolled above the fields to my left.
Into Diddlebury.
View attachment 638318 DSCN1750 by rebalrid, on Flickr
The last leg took me back to Craven Arms & into Broome .
A ride that gives you the magic of Shropshire & a bit of Herefordshire then back into Shropshire . A pleasant ride with one good climb .
I live beetween Ludlow & Leominster .

bagpuss

Guru
I think you were the Cc member had said call in a cuppa if I was in the area?. This was a while back on this forum If I remeber correctly. Unfortunately I had no computer with me so I could not get in touch .

Top Bottom