Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old jon

Guru
By ‘eck, the weather has changed this morning. A mere seven degrees said the phone. Warm enough, I thought, and took the Spa out for a pedal around.

And it was warm enough, just. By the time I reached Office Lock, on the Leeds and Liverpool canal, the extremities had warmed a bit. After leaving the towpath and beginning the climb to Headingley, comfort was reached. Still more upwards to do, all the way to Lawnswood, where the first spits of rain were felt. I had not seen any rain in the forecast I had looked at earlier. Hmmm.

A little further on and the north side of the Wharfe valley was visible, through the cloud that was leaking above it. Roughly where I had intended riding this morning. Rain over there and rain over me might just have been telling me something, and me without rainwear. Take a right turn to Adel, cross the dam, irrigation from above still happening. Message understood. Carry straight on, instead of the left turn, this way is Eccup village.

It is a mile or so from the village to Eccup Reservoir, along a fairly wide and in parts poorly surfaced road. A right turn up a sharp rise takes me to the dam wall, across that to the road up to the A61. Which was busy, and rained upon too. The airborne dampness was soaking through to a rather chilly me by now, a right turn onto that pointed me back towards Leeds. And that way is almost all downhill, choosing to ride via Street Lane and Roundhay Road to reach my front door. Twenty miles and 1060 feet of climbing, a short ride and happy for it to be that way. A smile for the ride, it was good, and the hot shower to come.

Geography by garthing . . .

29032022.jpg

2903elev.jpg

Cavalol

Guru
Nice photos, I've not ridden to Chester for a while, looks nice, some of the cobbles near the river are a bit jarring. :okay:

Yes, some are definitely a bit lairy on a road bike!

gavgav

Guru
An after work early evening ride, on the last of the recent nice sunny Spring like days. My mate Paul has just got over Covid and so he wanted a short ride to start building himself up again.

I rode up to Paul’s, through Radbrook and we decided a short loop in the Town would be best. So we headed through Porthill and then weaved our way through the Quarry, where lots of people were strolling in the lovely warm evening sunshine and along the Towpath which was busy.

We then followed cycle paths down to Reabrook and Meole Brace, where we parted ways. Paul didn’t feel too bad, just lacking in a bit of energy.

10.34 miles at a leisurely chatting pace 10.3mph average.

Cavalol

Guru
Groundhog day (sorry!) but today's ride was my trusty Trek hard tail. Much, much cooler today and a light shower of rain. Quieter down at The Groves in Chester, the sunshine doesn't half make the bigger crowds come out.

Screenshot_20220330_145059.jpg

First off, the approach just before the race course, coming from the river Dee path. If you've not cycled this way, it's a cracking ride along the river from the Deeside direction, though the wind is a bit of a killer when you're against it.

IMG_20220330_111900.jpg

Next up, at the river by the weir again, which has disappeared due to the high river level. Hopefully a better picture of the heron and some seagulls enjoying a rest on a 'Dee crocodile'

IMG_20220330_112704.jpg

IMG_20220330_112827.jpg

Had planned to ride to Eccleston and come back along the meadows, but an unhealthy dose of CBA and a long overdue trip to the barber put paid to that.

Attachments

• IMG_20220330_112711.jpg
    IMG_20220330_112711.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220330_112637.jpg
    IMG_20220330_112637.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 4

Cavalol

Guru
A colder ride in Cheshire , back on the winter bike in winter clothing. Still a very nice ride, about 70 miles.
Where was this, please, it seems vaguely familiar? Looks a lovely day and place to ride.

footloose crow

Über Member
Scenes from Portugal

"It was alright here until you arrived".

I can't argue with that. It was. We have dragged a damp duvet of stratus and drizzle with us from Cornwall all the way down to the Algarve. Long days of travel in a 22 year old motorhome that rattles and rolls and is reluctant to climb hills; I know I often feel the same. I have a superstition that when I look forward too much to something, dream too often of empty winding roads, far reaching views, clear skies, the gentle spring warmth of Southern Europe on my face, I will be disappointed. And so far I am.

There has been a drought in southern Portugal and Spain. A warm, sunny winter that no one can remember being so dry. Trees are bare of leaves not because it is winter time but because they have died. Cows and sheep scratch miserably on shrivelled meadows. There is a boniness to the land, the water drained away leaving dry ditches, drooping rushes and dust.

Until we arrive.

It doesn't rain every day or all day. There are three days out of March when the sun appears and we get some sense of how warm it should be now. Apart from the day when Saharan dust made the world orange, we had some clear skies with just a thin skein of cloud on the edges. But it is never warm enough to want to bare arms or legs and this is an issue because we only brought shorts and the arm warmers were more for sun protection than fending off winter draughts. I am cold all the time, shivering except when moving.

We try to ride most days, leaving the van on the site outside Praia de Luz ( famous for the abduction of Maddie McCann eighteen years ago as people keep reminding me in texts) and looking for quiet roads. I can see that the rides could be good and I have photos of the good days to confirm that. The traffic outside the towns is light, the roads rise up through scattered woodland into rolling hills capped by wind turbines. There are hamlets perched on hilltops, cobbled streets that wind crazily and sometimes impossibly steeply between 13th century houses. We ask ourselves where the cars are. The streets, if a small cobbled gap between stone houses can be described as a street, are empty of people and vehicles. Windows shuttered. I say "Bon Dias" to the few people I see but rarely get more than a nod in return.

After ten days on a busy site, the swimming pool full (indoor, heated) of children who are being home schooled by people who are clearly living in their vans here all winter, the constant stress for me of being observed, of being in the middle of strangers, we have had enough. I don't like being parked a few metres away from other vans and the scraggly hedge that separates us is insufficient to make me feel hidden away from sight, safe or secure. I like people, but only in small doses. It is time to head off again.

Our decision to leave is sealed by the worst ride of the whole trip. The forecast is showers but the sky is half blue as we leave the site and head for the hills. I take a rain cape and a second layer just in case. I feel optimistic. Madame Crow wants photos of her next to orange trees and lemons in the road and I notice that the sky is darkening. I fear another showery day but we continue anyway on empty roads that switchback through scrubby trees, climbing uphill and the views opening up on all sides, the road a thin thread below us. We reach a lake and now the sky is more black than blue. I take a photo of Madame Crow and we chat to some German cyclists who are doing the same route as us. They are pulling on waterproofs, seriously thick ones. The first drops appear, wetting my shoulders, drumming gently on my helmet. I am breezy and confident as I tell my wife that it is just a shower and will pass. We press on and so does the rain, more heavily, the road slicked now with runoff, legs wet from spray. Madame Crow complains that she is getting a wet arse and this is my fault for not putting on her mudguards. I thought this was a sunny cycling holiday.

'You have your mudguards on' she points out and its true I have because I was too lazy to take them off. She pretends to understand that I cannot remove my guards and put them on her bike but I know she doesn't believe me.

Our shoes are full of water now, legs goose pimpled and blue, clothes soaked beneath our 'shower proof' tops. I am shivering with cold, shoulders hunched and cycling as fast as I can to maintain a flicker of core warmth.

"I am sure it will pass".

Even as I say it the storm intensifies to Hollywood rain, singing in the rain type of rain, fire hose rain. It is 25k home or 30k to finish the ride. It's an easy decision even if its uphill again to get back to the lake. The road has a thin layer of water that soaks us from below, matching the hammering from above. Visibility is poor, a world of mist and wet and cold. We finish the quiet lanes and pass through the town, traffic close, waves of water washing the bikes, leaving us gritty as well as soaked. It is a horrible ninety minutes. The van fills with wet clothing, shoes that won't dry out for days, a thick fug of dampness against the roaring of the gas fire. I never thought we would need to light that fire.

"I think it might rain". Prophetic words

And so we leave and head north through more rain and greyness, a Portugal submerged, dripping, uncomfortably damp. A morning spent watching the big wave surfing at Nazare and the skies begin to clear. We are both wearing the thick coats we took for the ferry crossing but there is a hint of a promise in the sky.

I decide I like north Portugal more. The campsite we find is empty, the owners close the gate after we drive in and padlock them. It seems worrying but we can still squeeze out on bikes. It is like spring in Cornwall here, cool, cloudy and threatening to rain but never actually getting round to it. I love the scenery, the emptiness, The rock here is granite like Dartmoor but the hills are more like mid Wales in height and loneliness. The hamlets we pass through are cobbled, sometimes a mile of cobbles rattling fillings and fittings, the bike shaking in ways it has never shaken before. "You don't need to go all the way to Belgium for cobbles" I tell Madame Crow and she points out that Belgium is significantly closer to home than we are here.

Will it rain? Again....

Some of the hills are terraced, narrow shelves of vines pointing towards where the sun will be after we leave. This is the wine growing centre of Portugal, the Douro valley. This is the home of port, for which we have developed a taste in the solitary evenings playing rummy and scrabble. We sexagenarians know how to live it up.

Lots of hills...

On and on then, heading north up through Spain and reaching for Santander, the gateway to home. The sun must know we are leaving because it appears and the air is warm, the sky clear and blue, the sea almost inviting. Except we now have colds, or Portuguese Flu as I insist it should be known, snuffling snot and wheezing but still determined to ride.

The last day.....

The day for home arrives, the long queue for the ferry, the gentle rocking of the boat as I lie sleepless and let the scenes from the weeks away play through my mind. Well it was an adventure...I guess.

Remember the sunny days!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
32 miles yesterday to the kabin in tywcross
Started off sunny with a cool breeze so decided to go out and by the time i got to the cafe at 18 ish miles the shoulder was feeling ok compared to previous rides so i was feeling pretty happy.
Sat in the sun for a cuppa and watched as the dark clouds started rolling in and a few flakes of the nasty white stuff started to flutter down , this blew over so i set off for home but the wind had got up and was biting along with occasional showers :sad:
My average speed plummeted as my reynauds circulation played the WTF are you doing outside tricks so i had to plod home stopping twice , got home feeling pretty rough and mrs CK just moans at me for being late back (?) rather than asking if i was ok .
Shoulder stood up fine to the ride so im planning to start extending my ride distance a bit and would like to join easy rider club rides but i cant usually make a sat morning .
Right hand thumb joint that has arthritis didnt fair so well though , even though i was warm enough the joint is playing up and is very tender still and it was even painful to brush my teeth .

bagpuss

Guru
As no computer last week .A bit of a catch up from me.
March 25 .
As I left Derby, it was a truly beautiful morning, perfect for cycling. The last of the chill from the March night was still to be chased away. The sky was clear and blue. Finding my way through well known lanes, following an old Audax route that I ran for a number of years from the mid-90s to the early 2,000s. The route took me through Tutbury, onto the village of Hanbury.and then following the woodland of the Duchy of Lancaster estate .
I span through the lanes and coasted downhill to the lovely village of Newborough. Here I turned right and got to grips with the undulating road to Abbots Bromley. Freewheeling downhill to Blithfield reservoir, which was looking rather full.

View: https://flic.kr/p/2nc2ReV

Up, and then the long freewheel down to Bishton. Through The Haywoods, and into Milford, which is on the edge of Cannock Chase. I continued uphill to the village of Brockton, soaking up the now warm sunshine, to Penkridge for elevenses. Over Cuttlestone Bridge and down to Brewood.
51977026933_83a22447ec_b.jpg DSCN1723 by rebalrid, on Flickr
From here I found my way through Bishops Wood. Here one is greeted by Shropshire's most familiar landmark (off to my right), The Wrekin, known to all Salopians, and most other travellers from far and wide. Then down to Tong Norton. Under the M54, turning left towards Evelith. This section of road on previous rides was something akin to the 'Paris-Roubaix'. However, it had all been resurfaced and was a delight to ride. Finding myself in the quaint village of Kemberton, I stopped for one of the wife's homemade energy bars (which we will say no more about!). Crossing the A442, and down the steep hill to Coalport. Here I stopped to take pictures of Coalport bridge, which was built slightly after the famous ironbridge, which is further upstream.
T 51977232734_2efce1c568_b.jpg DSCN1727 by rebalrid, on Flickr . This proved to be somewhat of an issue, as I had no run at the following hill that takes you up into Broseley. So, for the first 100 yards, I engaged the special '2-foot gear', which comes as standard with every bike. From here I clawed my way over Barrow Hill, through Willey Park Wood, and then a lovely coast downhill into Much Wenlock for a late lunch. From Much Wenlock I took the B4378, following the Eastern side of the Wenlock Edge. This is the sort of road where you just have to keep tapping it out. Especially the first steady climb out of Much Wenlock, when you have 'cafe legs'. There were fine views of the Clee Hills off to my left.
51976952416_b8fb4e37d9_b.jpg DSCN1731 by rebalrid, on Flickr
Brown Clee being the highest at 540m. Craven Arms was reached and pictures taken by the well-known milepost.
51976952571_2c262b5c5a_b.jpg DSCN1732 by rebalrid, on Flickr
A short ride then followed to the farmstay where we were to be ensconced for a week. As a ride it was something special for the end of March. Far from flat, as for climbing details, I haven't got a clue!
Addendum - With less than 1/2 a mile to go, I ran over a patch of innocuous looking mud, which caused 2 pinch punctures to both front and rear tyres. Shankses pony then ensued. The old saying goes 'Beware of wolf in sheep's clothing'.

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Normally my standard 50km Wymeswold loop wouldn't merit a write up ,but this was my first outdoor ride for 12 days due to Covid and the ensuring isolation period . I didn't suffer badly with Covid just a bad cold but it has left my legs feeling leaden and constantly tired ie falling asleep on the sofa at 2030. After the initial test I had 2 days off the bike but since then I've been turning my legs over on the trainer timely bought last month so I sort off knew I should be able to do 50km but set of this morning slightly uncertain. My Wymeswold loop had plenty of bail out points I could cut it short if required .Out the door into the chill I went for the overdressed style nearly full winter kit . It took a couple of miles before the legs warmed up and I was spinning along nicely but felt any slight uphill section . Anstey ,Cropston ,Cossington ,Sileby as I left Sileby it was time to strip some layer ,Gillet was folding into my pocket thick gloves swapped for cleverly carried thinner ones . Into Seagrave and the rides big climb up Berrycott lane ,up the steep part at the bottom in my lowest gear then just spun my way up the long drag . After the climbing comes a nice descent down Narrow lane to Wymeswold ,Barrow ,Mountsorrel ,Cropston and home the hill to home had to be done in bottom gear as I began to flag but made it round . Strangely I was slightly quicker than the last time I did the loop probably due to the fact that was on a much winder day . After not riding outside for so long it was good to be out there . Hopefully the road to full recovery will not be too long

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
As no computer last week .A bit of a catch up from me.
March 25 .
As I left Derby, it was a truly beautiful morning, perfect for cycling. The last of the chill from the March night was still to be chased away. The sky was clear and blue. Finding my way through well known lanes, following an old Audax route that I ran for a number of years from the mid-90s to the early 2,000s. The route took me through Tutbury, and followed the woodland of the Duchy of Lancaster estate to the village of Hanbury. I span through the lanes and coasted downhill to the lovely village of Newborough. Here I turned right and got to grips with the undulating road to Abbots Bromley. Freewheeling downhill to Blithfield reservoir, which was looking rather full.

View: https://flic.kr/p/2nc2ReV

Up, and then the long freewheel down to Bishton. Through The Haywoods, and into Milford, which is on the edge of Cannock Chase. I continued uphill to the village of Brockton, soaking up the now warm sunshine, to Penkridge for elevenses. Over Cuttlestone Bridge and down to Brewood.
View attachment 638227 DSCN1723 by rebalrid, on Flickr
From here I found my way through Bishops Wood. Here one is greeted by Shropshire's most familiar landmark (off to my right), The Wrekin, known to all Salopians, and most other travellers from far and wide. Then down to Tong Norton. Under the M54, turning left towards Evelith. This section of road on previous rides was something akin to the 'Paris-Roubaix'. However, it had all been resurfaced and was a delight to ride. Finding myself in the quaint village of Kemberton, I stopped for one of the wife's homemade energy bars (which we will say no more about!). Crossing the A442, and down the steep hill to Coalport. Here I stopped to take pictures of Coalport bridge, which was built slightly after the famous ironbridge, which is further upstream.
T View attachment 638228 DSCN1727 by rebalrid, on Flickr . This proved to be somewhat of an issue, as I had no run at the following hill that takes you up into Broseley. So, for the first 100 yards, I engaged the special '2-foot gear', which comes as standard with every bike. From here I clawed my way over Barrow Hill, through Willey Park Wood, and then a lovely coast downhill into Much Wenlock for a late lunch. From Much Wenlock I took the B4378, following the Eastern side of the Wenlock Edge. This is the sort of road where you just have to keep tapping it out. Especially the first steady climb out of Much Wenlock, when you have 'cafe legs'. There were fine views of the Clee Hills off to my left.
View attachment 638229 DSCN1731 by rebalrid, on Flickr
Brown Clee being the highest at 540m. Craven Arms was reached and pictures taken by the well-known milepost.
View attachment 638230 DSCN1732 by rebalrid, on Flickr
A short ride then followed to the farmstay where we were to be ensconced for a week. As a ride it was something special for the end of March. Far from flat, as for climbing details, I haven't got a clue!
Addendum - With less than 1/2 a mile to go, I ran over a patch of innocuous looking mud, which caused 2 pinch punctures to both front and rear tyres. Shankses pony then ensued. The old saying goes 'Beware of wolf in sheep's clothing'.

the wind thats blows across blithfield res can be a right swine , especially followed by the climb out the other side

Top Bottom