Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Strong ENE winds forecast so had to adjust my bike plans and chose a train assist route. Followed the Bay Cycle route for most of its length, just straightening a few corners. Headed north for the woodland of Silverdale and was then spat out by the Kent estuary. Really tricky cross and headwinds around the estuary until Levens, then the route went westward. Across the Lythe valley to Grange over Sands. Unfortunately the bakery now shuts Ona Sunday so had to continue up the hill to Cartmel for lunch. Was tempted by its famous sticky toffee pudding but didn’t seem a good plan. Onwards to Ulverston, Dalton, then the train in Barrow in Furness. Stunning views across Morecambe Bay and the Lake District fells. 88 km or 55 miles with 1200m of climbing.

Pictures show the Kent Estuary, the view to the Lakes and the Duddon Estuary.

184231C7-4D94-48F5-B8E9-BF23DFB7B9CA.jpeg

5EA416FD-43CB-4119-AA5A-44723463315A.jpeg

4FD3BEE5-D22D-4302-BCA3-913FAA7F1ACD.jpeg

AndreaJ

Veteran
Sunny and breezy this morning and I got to choose the route for the group ride this morning, as I didn’t plan it on Garmin for them it was going to be a mystery tour.
Usual ride to meet up by the Mere in Ellesmere before heading out to Lee, Weston Lullingfields and into Baschurch. Over the crossroads which was a new direction for the others and past the schools to Fennemere, Old Woods and Merrington. The breeze was against us along here and the benefit of being the smallest, lightest member of the group meant I was no use on the front into the wind😊. Turned off onto Lower road to Myddle where everyone suddenly realised where we were, turned off to Nonely, Loppington and Northwood and a joint decision was made to head back past Colemere and the nature reserve towards Whitemere before turning back into Ellesmere for coffee at the Boathouse followed by a ride home. Lots of other cyclists turned up for coffee while we were there turning the outside area into a bike park!
45 miles in the sunshine although it was a bit cooler due to the wind.
68E59C3D-F9EC-4EA6-A059-2E5EEA731BC3.jpeg

Mike_P

Guru
Gusty cold north easterly so decided for the sixth consecutive day to use the ebike for a local trip bringing its total over the six days to 37.83 miles, with 2771ft of elevation. A wise decision as the wind induced braking today meant it was not always necessary to activate the disc brakes:ohmy:

Earlier in the week for the first time in ages I went up the 13.5% ramp off the Starbeck branch (the location being the o of Harrogate Golf Club on the heatmap below).
SB JN.jpg

Normally used descending off a right turn, I turned right at the top and discovered while the road the left had been resurfaced that to the right was still in appalling condition:sad:
ebike heatmap 240422.jpg

Did not mention last Monday a semi close pass in Garforth – a van overtaking when a car was facing in a right turn lane resulting in the van cutting in. Understand the police are seeking the driver. Also more positively the pot holes in Kirk Deighton had been filled in albeit now slightly pot humpy:wacko:

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
My longest ride of the year/post covid ride so far today. 45.3 miles out to Sharpness docks on the River Severn and back:
DSCF1215.JPG

I have always like old, run-down places. Sharpness is just about hanging on, with a couple of fertiliser ships a week making it up the Bristol Channel. Apologise for the quality of the pictures, due to a combination of a smudge on the lens and strong sunshine behind everything interesting. There is a great view to be had towards the South West, where you can see two suspension bridges and two nuclear power stations, but that was directly into the sun, so no picture today. There is currently an old passenger ferry and an old lightship rusting away alongside each other in the dock, and a line of old railway goods wagons surrounded by weeds add to the feeling of a place that time forgot:
DSCF1211.JPG

This time I rode on a few yards further than usual, and discovered a couple of old shunters that I've never noticed before:
DSCF1213.JPG

Looking northwards from Sharpness Docks you get a good view of the (blue) Gloucester and Sharpness Canal where it runs within a stone's throw of the (much browner) River Severn:
DSCF1209.JPG

On the way back I called in at the Purton Hulks. This is a surreal place, again where the canal and the river come into close contact .... so close in fact that the river was once in danger of eroding its way across to the canal bank, so something had to be done about it. In the 1960s, dozens of coal barges were deliberately run aground on the East bank of the Severn to protect the bank from further erosion. Over the next 60 years, those that weren't already filled with concrete when they were run aground have filled up with silt from the river and been overgrown with turf and reeds. It really is a surreal place, where you can stand on the deck of one sunken ship and see another 9 or 10 wrecks nearby. A few shots:
DSCF1216.JPG

DSCF1217.JPG

DSCF1218.JPG

They are still doing a grand job of keeping the river at bay. On today's ride I came across our club coming the other way on their 100km ride. Nice to catch up with them and chat for a few moments. Then just before I got home I came across another club mate out walking his dogs. I was out for 4 hours 45 mins in the end to do a 43.5 mile ride. Plenty of stops on my way round, including a Diamond Jubilee bench in the middle of nowhere, where I sat for a while listening to birdsong. By the time I got home, I ached just about everywhere, but that was a great little afternoon out in the sunshine.

Last edited:
I went to one of our regular cafes in Fineshade today on the gravel bike. However I chose a circuitous route and after grabbing an OS tile I went by a local Road Race [Melton Cicle Classic](http://cicleclassic.co.uk/). I timed it right and only had around 10minutes to wait for the leaders. It was another 6 plus minutes. Really bright and warm one minute but it was blowing a hoolie so the next it was a bit chilly. It meant the trails were bone dry and although I gave the bike the usual clean it could have been left a ride or two.

https://www.relive.cc/view/vZqNxEApQGO

ianbarton

Veteran
A family ride near Lake Garda in Italy. Last week we spent a few days at Lake Garda and I persuaded one of my daughters and my wife to hire some bikes and cycle from Riva Del Garda to Arco which was a round trip of 18km. My bike was sturdy, to say the least, and would have probably survived a direct hit from a cruise missile. However, the route was almost completely flat so the weight of the bike didn't really matter.

I was amazed by the quality of the cycling infrastructure. Dedicated cycle lanes with only very short sections where the lanes were shared with pedestrians and apart from a couple of road crossings traffic-free. We cycled into Arco, which has a very impressive fortress perched on top of a cliff. I presume there was an easy way around the back. I wouldn't fancy scaling the cliffs to get to the castle.

On the way back we stopped at the Bike Farm Cafe, which had a mouth-watering selection of cakes and pies.

IMG_20220421_111633.jpg

IMG_20220421_112252.jpg

IMG_20220421_104402.jpg

Morning Ride _ Ride _ Strava (1).png

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Morning Commute of 6.7 miles with an average of 16.5 mph followed by an extended ride home towards York and home via Naburn, Cawood, Biggin, Barkston Ash & Saxton.
34.7 miles with an average of 16.2 mph. A bit blustery again but a lovely ride home.
E1C61A3E-436A-4725-B990-92652F51D889.jpeg

A0D9FA82-4F42-4A66-BCEA-EC99AC495ABF.jpeg

4DF51E9F-EA4D-44D3-8C23-D0A7680129C0.jpeg

41511FF2-DB76-4B87-9E3F-6ABE27EE701E.jpeg

4006CD13-AA65-4C3C-ADB3-84A45B48AA51.jpeg

5E03505E-B7CF-422B-AB57-0ECFD5FA7416.jpeg

62856660-0A6B-4AB6-BE9F-E264761E8987.jpeg

E6F7C37C-E205-4105-BCE3-5E7679B22E35.jpeg

Attachments

• B4A51700-B6EE-43F7-AB02-1115B16AE840.jpeg
    B4A51700-B6EE-43F7-AB02-1115B16AE840.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

theloafer

Legendary Member
after a 2 week lay off (bad cold) we had another great ride today .. even with it a bit chilly and a few damp spots ,we were in no rush and no set route i even rode some new roads
1f603.png
thanks Eddie Young for the coffee at Eppleby .. i will get them next time , also to route guide Tony + Stuart hope you all enjoyed Patches lane
1f601.png
1f601.png
41 miles
https://www.strava.com/activities/7044304904

20220426_152958.jpg

20220426_153036.jpg

Went to Lidl on the bike today with rear basket and front kanga rack for a full week's shopping. Phew it was heavy pedalling home and took me about 10 minutes longer than usual, but I'm very pleased with the amount I was able to load securely into the rear basket and on the kanga rack. My front basket clips off the handlebar fitting and nestles securely on the kanga rack held in place by the ingenious strap system, and of course is able to carry a much greater load than when merely dangling off the handlebars. Heavy stuff - milk, wine, tins - and bulky stuff - cornflakes, bread, loo rolls - as well as lots of other bits'n'pieces was easy to pack and secure and didn't make the bike one bit unstable - just more effort to pedal.

Screenshot (9).png

After another long break, a bit further.
The revamped Scott performed well, all shifting pretty good. It will doubtless drift off a bit, particularly the rear, as that's what's had the most work done.
The 28mm tyres remained clear of the frame, thankfully, because I'd forgotten to pack the spare folding 25mm just in case...
And it did prove to be a little more comfy than with the 25s fitted.
Weather, at the outset was *just* warm enough, pretty cool out of the sun, though. Improved all round as the ride progressed.
Quite busy, so low average speed.
Pretty exhaustipated by the time I got home. Really must do more!

gavgav

Guru
Another 10 days without a ride, after coming down with a stinking Cold last week. Thankfully not Covid but still felt rubbish.

My mate Paul cycled over to mine and we both remarked on how cold it was. He’d gone back into the house to change out of shorts (he was ambitious having them on in the first place!) and I’d gone back in to put on a 3rd layer.

We followed the cycle paths up to Heathgates, where we tried to negotiate crossing the busy road at the roundabout, made even harder now by the council having removed the green paint that they’d put down to make cycle crossing easier, when they supposedly made “improvements” to it recently 🤷‍♂️. We laughed at a police van failing to stop to let us across, when he easily could have, leaving it to the car behind to have some common sense, which says it all.

We then continued through Sundorne and along the old canal path to Uffington, before joining roads to Upton Magna. We stopped by the pub for Paul to eat some of his remaining Christmas Jelly Babies, that he’d discovered were in his cycling jacket pocket earlier on……..But his joy soon turned to despair as he reached into the bag to find they must have dropped out of his pocket along the ride somewhere 😆

We pressed on to Berwick Wharf and Atcham, then took the lower road to Cross Houses, before lanes to Berrington and Betton Abbots, parting ways near my place.

15.93 miles at 11.9mph avg.

Top Bottom