Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FrothNinja

Veteran
Today's ride today! :ohmy:

My brother had suggested getting out for a ride, which will be his first since we were on holiday in the Lakes, so I wasn't going to pass that up. The route was mostly the same as the one I did on Monday apart from some variations towards the end.

I used the Raleigh this time and we had a pleasant ride up Lyth Hill and over to Condover where we headed along Lyon's Lane. Despite the wind direction not being ideal for this (an easterly) we got along alright apart from having to slow a few times to allow some cars past. At Cross Houses we got a nice gap on the A458 then had a good run to Atcham and Berwick Wharf. We managed to catch up and overtake a couple of touring riders just after this.

There had been talk of a cafe stop at Upton Magna but having set out later than hoped we didn't really have time (Doug has to work this evening) so after a quick drink stop in the village we carried on. The wind was behind us now and helped quite nicely to Uffington then along the old canal path into Shrewsbury. I suggested the slightly roundabout route through the town centre like I'd done last time and Doug was happy with that so we turned up Water Lane where a very young girl demanded to know our names.:laugh:

There was a bit more traffic in the centre than when I was last here so we made slower progress to the Welsh Bridge than last time, however The Quarry was less busy so it probably evens out overall. We headed out of the centre over Greyfriars bridge which currently has been turned into a memorial to a lad who went missing a couple of weeks ago and sadly his body was found not far downstream from the bridge.:sad:

We took a more direct route back than I did last time by heading out along Hereford Road.

20.9 miles for this one at 11.4 mph average. Doug paced it quite well so that he didn't seem to be flagging at any point. Pretty good given the gap since his last ride.:okay:

View attachment 641118
Just the one photo this time from our drink stop in Upton Magna.
Good going. According to Komoot I did 16.2 miles at an avge of 13.0 mph with 625 ft ascent on similar roads on my CX in November. Didn't go as far as Condover, though I did see the old canal bed near Berwick Wharf for the first time - believe there were some volunteers clearing it pre plague.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Good going. According to Komoot I did 16.2 miles at an avge of 13.0 mph with 625 ft ascent on similar roads on my CX in November. Didn't go as far as Condover, though I did see the old canal bed near Berwick Wharf for the first time - believe there were some volunteers clearing it pre plague.
It's quite an ambitious project rebuilding that canal. I wish them well but think it's going to be a long time before we see boats back there.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Afternoon lecture was cancelled, mate text to see if I fancied a ride, girlfriend at work until 8pm so an impromptu ride was formed. Legs felt great, sun shining, no route just went out with goal of getting a ride in.
Probably my favourite ride this year and worthy of a post. Even the more than usual close passes of teatime rushing homer's couldn't spoil it.

Love the smell of spring and lucky to have some great roads close to home.

The Swan Inn at Seaton, probably one of my favourite pubs around here.

The North Sea in all its glory at Hornsea.

36 miles at 15.5 mph average, wouldn't normally be fussed about that but considering some decent head/cross winds was pretty chuffed.
Home now for GF getting home, productive day 😊

GuyBoden

Guru
Another Cheshire ride around the Hills near Frodsham.

This is a pic of the sign post near Norley.

The Dandelions were looking bright and cheerful, despite their classification as weeds.
Norley.jpg

"Dandelion greens can be eaten cooked or raw and are an excellent source of vitamins A, C, and K. They also contain vitamin E, folate, and small amounts of other B vitamins"

Another Cheshire ride around the Hills near Frodsham.

This is a pic of the sign post near Norley.

The Dandelions were looking bright and cheerful, despite their classification as weeds.
View attachment 641133

"Dandelion greens can be eaten cooked or raw and are an excellent source of vitamins A, C, and K. They also contain vitamin E, folate, and small amounts of other B vitamins"

A weed is no more, and no less, than a plant in the wrong place at the wrong time!

First ride today 3 weeks after developing shingles. Not very far as the shingles rash is still present - although healed and dry - and tender, and in what I thought might be a 'problematic' place for using a bike. However all was well; I went just a couple of miles to a favourite cafe, had lunch then off along the canal for a bit - but it was too windy and I got dust in my eye - so I cycled back to the cafe and then back home via a slightly different route. A pleasant, gentle ride of about 6 miles, well-broken-up by breaks for lunch and sitting in the sunshine reading. And I feel all the better for it!

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Great Budworth and Arley were both used as locations in the recent Ipcress files TV series on ITV. Harry Palmer, the main character, walked into the George and Dragon pub and then later around Arley after escaping capture.

Ipcress was originally just the sidekick to Mustard in the original "Mustard and Ipcress" series. Mustard rode an 'Arley Davison btw.

I'll get my coat

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Took advantage of the wind and took a ride on the train to Fiskerton (just north of Nottingham) and rode back to Leicester grabbing a few veloviewer squares on the way.

First 20 miles or so were either going up hill or down hill and along bridleways (all either tarmac or compacted stone ^_^) to get the squares. Then 5 miles of mainly descending into Nottingham before gently climbing up to Nice Pie near Old Dalby for a coffee and an absolutely cracking sausage sandwich.

After that 20 miles of pretty much descending home, for the people who know the area, Berrycott Lane and the road from Sileby to Seagrave was rammed with cyclists, I must of seen a good 50 or 60 over those few miles, all going the wrong way, i.e. up :laugh:

62 wind assisted miles, I must have only had a couple of those into the headwind. Perfect planning :becool:

https://www.strava.com/activities/7027108343

C R

Guru
Forecast was a bit blowy, so chose a route that I thought would be somewhat sheltered, not very well chosen as it turned out.

Out at about quarter past six, in full daylight now. Heading south to Haw Bridge via Upton, Longdon and Corse Lawn. Fantastic speed, average over 17mph when I reached the bridge, which made me think that the second half of the route was going to be hard work, as the only explanation for me being that speedy was having the wind behind.

Cross wind to the A38 turn was manageable, but once I reached Tredington the wind was mostly straight against me, and it continued like that pretty much all the way home.

Good to be out anyway, lots of other cyclists out too, but mostly going with the wind, not against it. Looking at the garmin summary made me wonder where they get their wind speed data from, no way the wind today was 3mph.

The map
Screenshot_20220424-153606_Connect.jpg

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I plotted a 50 mile "three counties" loop last night and stuffed it onto my Garmin, set an early alarm and went to bed circa midnight.
The alarm went off, I staggered downstairs to eat some weetabix. My head was pounding with a hangover, I was dehydrated; it was 5am.

My planned loop just didn't appeal, I felt like I wanted... a destination. I set off for London, not long after sunrise.
Up the roman road known with the quaint name "A24", and crossed the river at Vauxhall. Was going along Millbank when I noticed the morning light was really rather special (even if my photography is not).
1650813812993.jpeg

Headed round Parliament Square and down past St James's Park, resplendent with flowers.
1650813877084.jpeg

Up to the Wellington Arch, then a circuit in Hyde Park before heading east into into the City. Then over Tower Bridge, and back past Waterloo Station to Vauxhall again.

Was going to pick up CS7 south again, but saw signs for C5 which was a lovely quiet way back to Clapham Common.
Had a route in my Garmin that would have taken me down some bits of the London Cycle Network to Rose Hill and Cheam, but CS7 and the A24 were still quiet, so it was a zoom down to Ewell, then onto the back roads for the last bit home.

Home just after 10am with 56 miles on the clock.

1650813919471.jpeg

MBIFO The Wellington Arch
1650814019107.png

MBIFO My house (didn't have a lock, but armed cops and a mounted regiment kept an eye on my bike)
1650814121992.jpeg

Commuting in London is a bit of a drag, but this morning? I'd forgotten that at the right time of day, at the right time of year, if you visit the right areas, then little bits of London are really rather beautiful!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom