Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Up early and keen to see if I have tweaked enough to make the new bike all day comfy. I went via the train station to see if trains were running in all directions just in case. Unsurprisingly, engineering work yowards the general direction I was going so decided to head in to Canterbury as there is a station there as well and only a pleasant five mile ride with the added bonus of possibly seeing a bison let loose in ten acres of woodland. Sadly none to be seen this morning however. After checking trains if I wanted to cut short the ride I headed off on NCN 16 to pick up NCN 17 in Patrixbourne. I always think of the South East as mostly built on but there is some stunning countryside to see. Also there are some very steep hills on the downs, made easy with the duperb gearing of the Genesis, it suits my riding to a tee. I hardly saw another soul, a few cars considerately waited in pull over bays as i approached and said hello to a few cyclists going the other way. Found a farmers market with some excellent cheese and marmite straws for sale snd quickly hoovered up three before continuing on my way. I fell in love with a number of little cottages in the middle of nowhere which i vowed to buy should i ever win the lottery. I eventually came upon the Battle of Britain museum and stopped briefly without going in. Gog had descended and the temperature dropped markedly also the signage got very patchy but i found it again after doing my 'go in a similar direction' looking out for those little blue signs. After saying hellos to more farm animals and more lovely but foggy countryside i entered the outskirts of Dover and headed for the station. I arrived just in time for the departing train Canterbury and lugged the bike over the footbridge while the guard kindly waited. Back in Canterbury I pushed bike through masses of Saturday shoppers at the Christmas market making it busier than nor.it was a bit of a shock having spent the morng hardly seeing a soul about . I found a place that dold wraps, had no queue and never batted an eyelid as i walked in store with the bike to order food to go. I ate in the nearby park before setting off on the Crab and Winkle Way for home. I know this route welm but do like it and always stop at the ancient church for a sit down and chocolate bar. After a brief chat with a couple of cyclists who had a trailer with a dog in I set off on the final leg. As ever Whitstable full of prople who all seemed to have dogs on long leads or running loose and also managing to take up the entire walkway! They mostly ignored the bell tok or dramatically moved out the way like i was going to mow them down. All in alm a lovely ride and the bike was fabulous. So pleased i bit thd bullet and bought it.

20221112_103229.jpg

20221112_095643.jpg

20221112_102650.jpg

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Astonishingly mild weather continues, and Mrs T indicated a desire for a "hilly ride". Honest!

So off we go into the sunshine and up the Brickworks, other cyclists at the cafe videoing our contraption as we wheeze past. Then Kettleshulme, up Windgather rocks and down to the Goyt.

The climb up from the Goyt is one of the best in the land, reservoir to start, then the woods:

IMG-20221112-WA0007.jpg

and finally the open moorland, all alongside the bubbling River Goyt.

Eventually the Cat & Fiddle is reached, and we descend Wildboarclough, another lovely road, and then up the rather brutal climb of Meg Lane and views of the Cheshire plain:

IMG-20221112-WA0006.jpg

Downhill from here to the posh gastropub at Sutton Hall where a proper feed is had, before trundling home through the lanes in the afternoon sunshine.

IMG-20221112-WA0005.jpg

42 miles, a tad over 4000ft climbing.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Up early and keen to see if I have tweaked enough to make the new bike all day comfy. I went via the train station to see if trains were running in all directions just in case. Unsurprisingly, engineering work yowards the general direction I was going so decided to head in to Canterbury as there is a station there as well and only a pleasant five mile ride with the added bonus of possibly seeing a bison let loose in ten acres of woodland. Sadly none to be seen this morning however. After checking trains if I wanted to cut short the ride I headed off on NCN 16 to pick up NCN 17 in Patrixbourne. I always think of the South East as mostly built on but there is some stunning countryside to see. Also there are some very steep hills on the downs, made easy with the duperb gearing of the Genesis, it suits my riding to a tee. I hardly saw another soul, a few cars considerately waited in pull over bays as i approached and said hello to a few cyclists going the other way. Found a farmers market with some excellent cheese and marmite straws for sale snd quickly hoovered up three before continuing on my way. I fell in love with a number of little cottages in the middle of nowhere which i vowed to buy should i ever win the lottery. I eventually came upon the Battle of Britain museum and stopped briefly without going in. Gog had descended and the temperature dropped markedly also the signage got very patchy but i found it again after doing my 'go in a similar direction' looking out for those little blue signs. After saying hellos to more farm animals and more lovely but foggy countryside i entered the outskirts of Dover and headed for the station. I arrived just in time for the departing train Canterbury and lugged the bike over the footbridge while the guard kindly waited. Back in Canterbury I pushed bike through masses of Saturday shoppers at the Christmas market making it busier than nor.it was a bit of a shock having spent the morng hardly seeing a soul about . I found a place that dold wraps, had no queue and never batted an eyelid as i walked in store with the bike to order food to go. I ate in the nearby park before setting off on the Crab and Winkle Way for home. I know this route welm but do like it and always stop at the ancient church for a sit down and chocolate bar. After a brief chat with a couple of cyclists who had a trailer with a dog in I set off on the final leg. As ever Whitstable full of prople who all seemed to have dogs on long leads or running loose and also managing to take up the entire walkway! They mostly ignored the bell tok or dramatically moved out the way like i was going to mow them down. All in alm a lovely ride and the bike was fabulous. So pleased i bit thd bullet and bought it.

View attachment 667772

View attachment 667773

View attachment 667767

Sounds like a great afternoon out and the bike looks grand - love the colour scheme and am really pleased to hear you're so happy with it :becool:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member

View attachment 667772

View attachment 667773

View attachment 667767

Which ancient church did you stop at?

gavgav

Guru
Still mild for November, but cooler air than yesterday evening, so a jacket was donned in the murky morning, for todays ride.

I followed the same route up towards Heathgates, as last night. Encountered a prat of a taxi driver, within the first 2 minutes, who was all set to mount an overtake past a learner driver, within 30 yards of a junction, until he eventually saw me coming the other way and made a last minute swerve back. What an absolute clown and I made him fully aware of what I thought of his driving.

From Heathgates I went through Sundorne and along the old canal path, before joining the road at Uffington. Just after turning towards Upton Magna, on a narrow lane, I followed a car past a girl on a horse, who couldn’t have been much more than about 9 or 10, but fair play she knew how to handle that horse amongst traffic.

From Upton Magna I climbed up East Haughmond and then turned down the nice straight to Somerwood and Rodington Heath.I took the bone shaker road back to Upton Magna, with the usual flood not far off being fully across the road. Most Winters see that road being cut off for cyclists and yet the council never do anything about it.

I took the Pelham Road to Berwick Wharf and then the busy rat run to Atcham, crossing the old bridge and then using the road to Cross Houses.

The lanes to Berrington and King Street were free of cars, before I had the wind finally behind me again to Betton Abbots and home.

21.95 miles at 12.1mph avg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Yes I think that's the one.

I used to be a choir boy there. 😇

Mike_P

Guru
Saturday afternoons ride on the Defy was a repeat of its last outing initially. A slightly annoyed initial crossing of the A59 with an ignorant car driver stopping smack across the end of street I was trying to get out – weaved around the back. The suburban stretch of Bilton Lane had a near arch of autumn colour.
Bilton Lane autumn.jpg

At Knaresborough Waterside was less busy.
Kboro 121122.jpg

However the previously slightly quieter than normal retail park on the B6164 was rammed resulting in queuing traffic for it. Variance came with continuing east across the A168 and A1(M), through Cowthorpe and then turning north to Cattal, where the lights on the bridge over the River Nidd for once changed in my favour = a new PR.
Paused for a snack and as the Garmin had refused to detect the cadance sensor deleted it and tried to re-detect – my fruitless spinning of the cranks quickly brought the attention of a passing cyclist.
Continued north getting halted at the level crossing adjacent to the, remote to the village, station, where the gates remain the open by a railway employees hand type.
cattal lcx.jpg

Non stop across the A59, through Whixley to turn east to the second word ABC of Thorpe Underwood – another place without a nameboard so alternatives sought
t.jpg

North through Great Ouseburn where signs saying the road was closed transpired to be a couple of days premature even so the road seemed very quite.
West into a lowering sun, a quite stretch of A168, back across the A1(M) and through Arkendale to pause to munch on a banana by the duck pond at Ferrensby; the ducks quickly fathomed I was not going to feed them and returned to gliding around the pond.
South down Sandy Bank I thought I had sticking brake only to realise a mudguard had decided to catch. The TTLs remain on Boroughbridge Road in Knaresborough then back across the Nidd on High Bridge, up the hill and along the Starbeck branch.
35.65 miles 1665ft climbed 13.3mph avg
121122.jpg

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I love the photos posted by folks, and feel a bit embarrassed at sometimes not stopping to take more. Though sometimes progress takes priority. Anyway, I've added an unscenic one here.

S needed her November 200k, so R created a route via Exeter, up to the North coast, across Exmoor and home along the Exe Valley. Two pubs along the way and a pub finish made it a three pint event. It was more a case of chugging round to finish in time than any heroic efforts. Pic is at the first stop (not a pub) in Braunton.

203km in a bit over 13hrs.
IMG-20221112-WA0000.jpg

ilfracombe.JPG

All uphill

Still rolling along
In the mood for a day out and a bit of exercise, so I jumped on an empty train and 23 minutes later I was in Exeter St David's.
20221109_101036.jpg

That's my bike, now with fatter tyres and wider mudguards ready for Devon lanes.

A new to me route took me up some super zigzag bends up to the University campus. Great bit of cycling infrastructure!

I always enjoy weaving my way eastwards out of Exeter, past allotments and playing fields. The next stretch was not so enjoyable but I arrived safely at Killerton National Trust for a second breakfast.

20221109_111443.jpg

From here I headed east towards the Blackdown hills, instead of NE to Cullompton. Lots of lovely lanes, buzzards and huge potholes. Glad of the big tyres. Nice conversation with a woman enjoying a solitary cycle after getting fed up with her cycling group that don't take breaks and tell her she needs a better bike.

20221109_115259.jpg

Eventually I reached Hemyock and struggled up towards the Wellington Monument, with a pause to catch my breath.
20221109_134732.jpg

I did consider following this track through the woods, but realised I'd probably have ended up lost or broken.

20221109_140929.jpg

It just remained to cycle downhill to home in the fading light with a big smile on my face.

40ish miles with a fair bit of hills at an enjoyably slow average speed.

4 buzzards, 1013 potholes, several friendly people.

Attachments

• 20221109_140923.jpg
    20221109_140923.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 2

Mike_P

Guru
I must stop and take more pictures!

I love the photos posted by folks, and feel a bit embarrassed at sometimes not stopping to take more.
Mine, aside from those with the bike in them, are taken off my sportscams video so I rarely stop to take a photo. Having it handlebar mounted does mean often however it has missed what I thought was a good shot due to its lower position.

Last edited:
Top Bottom