Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
62 miles in total with 2 others to the Bank House Alrewas for coffee and cake .Misty at the start and the roads were damp but it eventually cleared , glad the cafe had outside heaters as it was very chilly there and inside was packed .
Next week will be one year since my accident that sidelined me for over 4 months and left me with metal work holding my shoulder together .A big shout out toa few close friends who helped me through the dark times of pain with encouragement , a wheel to follow and a kick up the ass when needed
1668350507377.png

1668350518684.png

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Back on the bike! This hasn't been a good year for me, but there is always hope for a good finish ... then back in the groove for next year. With my wife's heart trouble now well under control and my bad back (from shifting furniture a couple of weeks back) now much improved, it was time to ferret around for my cycling kit, get the bike ready and hit the road for only the second time since July.

What an absolutely glorious day in Gloucestershire today. Mild, windless and sunny. Just how I like it. So I set of for my usual haunts, following the Severn down to Frampton via Elmore and Epney, and throwing in a couple of short detours on the way back.
DSCF1347.JPG

DSCF1348.JPG
Great to get back out there in my shorts for a gentle 22 miler in the sun. I suspect my next ride will require a bit of cold weather kit, but I'm chomping at the bit now. Bring it on.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Astonishing mild weather for November that would have been more at home much earlier in the year. Had an urge for the Dales so headed to Ingleton and then up the escarpment to the Chapel-le Dale road. Fabulous views across to Ingleborough and the karst landscape. Trundled up the road past the Hill Inn and onwards to Ribblehead. Huge groups of walkers gearing up for the three peaks or the stroll to the coffee van. Upward to Newby head and the turn down Dentdale. Was slightly perturbed to see a road closed sign but had an inkling all would be well so rolled downward And downward under the Dent viaduct and then the fabulous ribbon of road along the rock bed channel of the Dee. Lunch in Dent was fruitcake was served with a wedge of Wensleydale. Then the climb up Gawthrop fooled by the unending descent down the emptiness of Barbondale. 100 km or 62 miles with 1250 m of climbing. Wonderful.

pictures of Ingleborough, the viaducts in Ingleton, Ribblehead and Dent and Barbondale.

6183A960-4DBB-4ECA-AA57-AAA1DBDFFE33.jpeg

FCB282D1-238B-43AB-B9A0-C7EDDB1D35A3.jpeg

9ECAF0E5-6FFA-4F94-A4F8-A2AF0704BD79.jpeg

E187CB0A-9247-4DC8-B714-D19E7EC01176.jpeg

C9575E10-06EB-4479-B5D6-DE1006ED2CA8.jpeg

8mph

Veteran
Quite a few setbacks to riding at the moment. Fractured wrist 7 weeks ago, followed by a bout of Covid, followed by 5 weeks of physical work.
I've spent the past 3 Saturdays too wiped out to ride. Managed a 10 mile shopping trip today. My bicep is tingling, thumb and index finger numb. Keeping riding to a minimum, as I'm slightly concerned about nerve damage. Still, I'm pleased to be back in the saddle again.

gavgav

Guru
A beautiful sunny day in Shropshire, which could have passed for May, with the warm sunshine, but there was a very keen Easterly wind blowing as well. I didn’t get out until midday, as I’d been watching England win the T20 World Cup Cricket final.

I set off to Betton Abbots, safely negotiating the heaving A458 junction and it was immediately clear how strong that wind was, which would be a headwind for the first hour or so of the ride.

I followed the lanes to Berrington and Eaton Mascott, then Cound Stanks and Cound itself, where I turned off towards the church and paused at the war memorial for a moments reflection on Remembrance Sunday.
7B690A35-61B4-4E83-846E-AB3E82970B6C.jpeg

The climb up to Harnage was a long old slog into the wind, before a descent and good view of the Wrekin with autumnal colours. I then went straight over the crossroads and more climbing up to Harnage Grange. There were a couple of cyclists in front, who I was very slowly reeling in, but never quite caught them.
92CF9129-B1E2-4B3A-B570-173C94C7A127.jpeg

Whilst stopped for a chocolate bar, a likely looking character in a blacked out BMW came storming up to the junction and wound his window down, to ask if I knew where Morris’ farm was. I didn’t but said there was a farm about a mile up the road, which I’d passed and he could try there. He thanked me and then wheelspun away up the lane!

I descended to Harley and then turned along the Roman Road, which is perfectly straight for about 3 miles and whilst it had a few cars on it today, wasn’t as bad as it has been.

Next was Hughley, where I passed a young girl on a horse, with I assume her Brother in front taking the dog for a walk. The youngsters have clearly been out this weekend on horses, which is good to see.

I climbed back up to Church Preen and then joined the road towards Gretton, which is an uphill slog, but at least I had the wind behind me on the worst bit, to Cardington and up the Climb to Comley. The Royal Oak pub looked so tempting for a pint outside in the sun, but the fact I had no money on me meant that was never on the cards.

From Comley, the fast and thrilling descent is always good fun, especially with a tailwind today, before I followed the muddy and wet lane, plus actually water in one of the fords for the first time in a long while, to Longnor.

The lane to Ryton was quiet, just 1 car met, but I was saddened to pass the Fox pub and see a poster in the window saying it has closed permanently ☹️

The lane through Gonsal was busy, due to the Dorrington road being closed for roadworks, then I had quite a wait to cross the A49, to Stapleton and called on my Dad, Brother and partner for 45 minutes.

When setting back out the air had gone much cooler and there was damp feel to it as well, through Exfords Green where there was a herd of goats in the road! They scarpered in all directions when they head me coming.

At Annscroft the flag was blowing from and East/North Easterly direction now, so that was annoying and meant a bit of a headwind at times when I’d hoped for a tailwind back along the main road to Hook a Gate and Nobold.

The legs were getting tired now, after 70 miles in rides 3 days running, following 2 inactive weeks, so it was slow progress through Meole village and home.

34.95 miles at 11.2mph avg and 1900ft of climbing. Really enjoyed that.

Mike_P

Guru
Definitely not glorious weather in this part of North Yorkshire
murk.jpg

c 2pm the damp mist seemed to have given way more to low cloud and the ebike out on a fruitless shopping trip to Morrisons where the shelves were bare of the required item. As a result the ebike did make its first visit to the new Lidl where it had two companions whilst some store cupboard items where acquired. 8.74 miles 452ft of elevation

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Quite a few setbacks to riding at the moment. Fractured wrist 7 weeks ago, followed by a bout of Covid, followed by 5 weeks of physical work.
I've spent the past 3 Saturdays too wiped out to ride. Managed a 10 mile shopping trip today. My bicep is tingling, thumb and index finger numb. Keeping riding to a minimum, as I'm slightly concerned about nerve damage. Still, I'm pleased to be back in the saddle again.

take it steady and dont get to worried about progress or setbacks as it will come back in time and you will look back at what you have overcome will a sense of achievement

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Three rides to tell you about:

Wednesday (9th) - It was a fairly nice day, surprisingly warm for November and dry, but a bit breezy. I was free after lunch so got the Raleigh out and set off aiming for Cardington. It was my usual route to Condover then Ryton and Longnor where a right turn at the crossroads made a nice change. I hadn't had a chance to clean the bike since the ride to Vyrnwy and was a little glad about that as the lanes were on the mucky side, particularly past Green Farm.

By the time I reached Hollyhurst I found myself losing enthusiasm for the road to Cardington so at Comley I changed route and headed through Botvyle to cross the A49 and head through Dudgeley. It was nice picking up the tailwind on the way to Leebotwood and the bike was feeling quite good on the hills after the most recent adjustment so I was enjoying myself. Using this bike rather than the heavy Hawk, the climb up to Smethcott seemed a breeze. I mentioned on a previous ride about a new reservoir having been built near the top of this climb and there was a tractor & trailer leaving it it as I approached. It looks like it is a slurry pool - good job the wind was blowing away from me as I passed it.

I had an enjoyable run through Wilderley and a good climb up the hill to Pulverbatch where I'd have the road mostly downhill for a couple of miles or so. I also had the wind at my back so it was a cracking run through Longden Common, Longden and almost to Annscroft where I turned off towards Exford's Green. The decent speed continued even with a crosswind on the way to Hunger Hill. I was going to climb up through Little Lyth but a gap in the traffic presented itself just as I reached the right turn for Condover so I went for what, from here, is the longer but flatter way back via Condover.

27.9 miles at 13.9 mph average. I'm quite chuffed with that average speed as this route is quite hilly. ^_^

20221109_145616.jpg

At Hollyhurst. I'm headed round to the left here but at this stage was already having second thoughts about going to Cardington.

20221109_150702_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Having turned off at Comley, the view from the top of the climb. These chaps thought I was bringing them food.

20221109_151006_Richtone(HDR).jpg

On the road to Botvyle. The light on the hills appeared even better than it's come out in the photo.

20221109_151724.jpg

Looking back towards Caer Caradoc from near Dudgeley.

20221109_154802.jpg

Later in the ride, looking towards the Wrekin not long after Wilderley.

--------------------------------------------

Friday (11th) - Thursday had been really windy so I hadn't got out as hoped, however I did take the chance to get the Raleigh clean. I was determined to get a ride in on the Friday so headed out in when I was able to in the afternoon using the knockabout bike (Hawk). I thought that heading up to Oaks would work with the gusty wind.

Heading over Lyth Hill at the start it was into the wind and made for some slow progress. I carried on over the rough track across the top then descended on the Annscroft side. Riding through the village a car suddenly backed out of a driveway to my right. The driver seemed miffed at having to stop when he saw me and I got a toot of the horn before he floored it heading for town (I suspect he had hoped for a bit of tyre screech but his Astra didn't have the oomph. :laugh:) I just rolled my eyes and rode on.

Reaching Plealey I turned towards Oaks and started the climb. This is quite gentle at first but ramps up later on. I was occasionally losing traction on the damp road surface by Longden Manor then had to pull in a couple of times for cars a bit further up. After passing Oaks I took the usual long way round at Wrentnall, climbing Broom Hill and heading round the back way to Pulverbatch.

With a favourable wind direction it was tempting to repeat the run to Longden from the previous ride but I wanted to do something different so headed for Church Pulvebatch and the long descent to Stapleton - this was pretty good as the wind was still helping and there wasn't much traffic.

After Stapleton I wasn't ready to head for home quite yet so took the lane to Lower Common (lots of building work going on here with at least six houses being built, rebuilt or modified) then the lane to Longden. From Longden I headed towards Annscroft then, as previously, through Exford's Green to Hunger Hill. This time though the A49 traffic was busier so I did go the quieter way through Little Lyth and over Lyth Hill.

22.3 miles at 11.8 mph average. Enjoyed that.

20221111_135555_Richtone(HDR).jpg

The view from the top of Lyth Hill on my first crossing.

20221111_143609.jpg

At the top of the Broom Hill climb and looking towards Eastridge Woods.

----------------------------------------------------

Yesterday - Doug hadn't been keen to come out with me while the weather was very windy but was happy to come this time. I'd suggested that he could do with trying a hilly ride and he suggested heading towards Cardington so off we went.

We started off riding over Lyth Hill so as to use the A49 as little as possible then dropped down to Hunger Hill and headed for Condover. The traffic was quite busy on the main road so that was a good call this time. We were headed into the wind at this point but it didn't seem to be slowing Doug down too much - the most recent adjustment does seem to suit him.

After a pasue at Ryton we carried on towards Ryton on lanes that had dried quite a lot since I last rode them. Another rider overtook us with ease on the way but we were taking it at a chatting pace. The battery has gone flat on Doug's speedometer and he says that he is enjoying riding more without seeing how fast he is going.

At the crossroads just after Longnor we paused for a drink and while stopped I noticed a cut in the sidewall of Doug's front tyre. It didn't look that bad but, being wary of sidewall damage, I didn't think it was a good idea to carry on with a route that would have some steep descents to come. We turned towards Frodesley instead and I said I'd check the tyre again there.

Reaching Frodesley, Doug wondered if a left at the crossroads would be a shorter way back. It is so we headed that way, keeping the speed down on the long descent into the valley at Row Brook. On the climb the other side, Doug was pulling away from me - I've said before that I think he'd be a really strong rider if he got out more regularly.

Apart from being flagged down by a couple of ladies wondering if we had seen the hunt, it was a relaxed ride back to Condover and up to the A49 (still quite busy).

15.6 miles at 11.7 mph average. Not the ride we had planned but it was good anyway. When we got back I swapped Doug's cut tyre for a hardly worn Schwalbe Marathon I had spare, and also replaced the rear brake blocks. The old tyre was 9 years old so he's had his money's worth even if it did have lots of tread left.

20221112_110446.jpg

It was a bit of a misty day at the start of the ride.

20221112_110505.jpg

Not the best photo, but a snap of Doug as we cross Lyth Hill.

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Astonishing mild weather for November that would have been more at home much earlier in the year. Had an urge for the Dales so headed to Ingleton and then up the escarpment to the Chapel-le Dale road. Fabulous views across to Ingleborough and the karst landscape. Trundled up the road past the Hill Inn and onwards to Ribblehead. Huge groups of walkers gearing up for the three peaks or the stroll to the coffee van. Upward to Newby head and the turn down Dentdale. Was slightly perturbed to see a road closed sign but had an inkling all would be well so rolled downward And downward under the Dent viaduct and then the fabulous ribbon of road along the rock bed channel of the Dee. Lunch in Dent was fruitcake was served with a wedge of Wensleydale. Then the climb up Gawthrop fooled by the unending descent down the emptiness of Barbondale. 100 km or 62 miles with 1250 m of climbing. Wonderful.

pictures of Ingleborough, the viaducts in Ingleton, Ribblehead and Dent and Barbondale.

View attachment 667911

View attachment 667912

View attachment 667913

View attachment 667914

View attachment 667915

Amazing that 25miles to the east we had thick fog all day!!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I got Doug out on the bike again today.^_^

We headed out with the intention of completing the ride that was foreshortened on Saturday, however it was a misty and murky day and when we got up onto Lyth Hill it was plain that we'd be climbing up into the cloud which wasn't particularly appealing. The backup plan was to do a ride up to Oaks - still hilly but it looked a bit clearer in that direction, so we carried on across the top of Lyth Hill and descended to Exford's Green.

Unfortunately I had forgotten the road we needed to use to get to the Annscroft crossroads was closed for resurfacing.:blush: If we had descended on the Annscroft side it would have been fine, so a bit of a rethink was needed. We headed back towards Exford's Green and rode up Long Lane instead - this was probably the way I should have taken Doug in the first place as it's not so steep from this direction. We had to pull in a handful of times to allow vehicles past and at a couple of these stops we were getting bothered by wasps - the unusually mild November is obviously confusing them.:wacko:

After crossing the Longden road the proper climb to Oaks begins - Doug was pulling away from me once the gradient ramped up again and I had to suggest that he might want to pace himself a bit to save the legs for later climbing.

We headed to Wrentnall next and the steeper climb of Broom Hill. Doug did well here and managed it without stops. Likewise with the next short but sharp climb on the way to Pulverbatch - this one was made slightly more tricky than usual by a slippy coating of mud on the road.

From Pulverbatch we took the undulating road to Wilderley then when I offered a choice of routes, Doug opted for the shorter way back by dropping down to Netley and Dorrington - another muddy lane, which is a shame as it's quite fun to press on down the hill when it's dry.

At Dorrington we crossed the A49 and came across some unexpected road closure signs. Since the only alternative would have been to use the A49 for a stretch we opted to ride through, which was fine as there was plenty of room for us to pass the barriers and no work was taking place at that point.

From Ryton we would have a tailwind for the remaining few miles so we got along well to Condover and up to the A49 again - we got to it just as there was a suitable gap in the traffic so we didn't even need to stop at the junction.

19.1 miles at 10.8 mph average. Doug's Strava says we did just over 1,400 feet of climbing in that distance, which I think counts as reasonably hilly.

20221114_111826_Richtone(HDR).jpg

The view from the top of Lyth Hill. The Stretton hills would usually be visible in this shot. There was blue sky over towards Oaks though.

20221114_112654.jpg

Oops, I'd forgotten that road was closed today.

20221114_115531.jpg

At Oaks.

20221114_123319_Richtone(HDR).jpg

A few hilly miles further on and we are about to start the descent from Smethcott Common.

20221114_123336_Richtone(HDR).jpg

The sun is shining on Lyth Hill in the distance.

20221114_124521.jpg

Another one?! This doesn't appear on the council roadworks site so I don't know what work was being done.

20221114_125034_Richtone(HDR).jpg

At Ryton and looking towards the Stretton Hills again. This time we can just make out some of the outlines.

geocycle

Legendary Member
The number of road closed signs is increasing. While that is good if we are getting some roads repaired it is also a lottery for cyclists. Can be fantastic or a complete pain. Yesterday, I passed road closed signs at Ribblehead on the Horton road, felt smug as I wasn’t going that way and then found another closure on the Dentdale road. This as more concerning as there is a massive hill down into the dale and only a few very steep opt out. Fortunately, I didn’t come across any at all.

I’m thinking of starting a campaign that road closed signs have to have a QR code linked to a detailed map and information on whether it applies to all categories of users. There is no single source of information and no way of advising pedestrians or cyclists if they can pass with care.

Mike_P

Guru
Have come across some where the available passage was wide enough for most cars to get through but the closure signs have to go up if the carriagway is too narrowed - suspect until someone starts digging they do not neccessarily know how wide the closure will get.

Ignore them. Majority are not closed or you can get past at least.

Very rare that you can't get through on a bike. Quite often the signs and equipment are there but no workforce.

Also generally a lot safer than dealing with motorists driving too fast on unsuitable roads while looking at the screen on their Navi to see if there's a shortcut.

Top Bottom