Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Due to the recent cold weather and a bout of man flu (the worst kind of flu that women don’t get!) I’ve not ridden for nearly 3 weeks!
Out with David from our village for a steady pootle, beautiful day and a great ride.
42.6 miles with an average of 15.4 mph.

A84383CF-896A-42CA-AB00-3620CA8A00CC.jpeg

1F5327DE-41C5-495D-8C06-7BAEE219020E.jpeg

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
A 3.5 hour ride with my wife that involved cake

4CB8B4B5-E964-4CA9-B634-9D2DB43323FD.jpeg

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Today looks like the only day over Christmas that the weather will be good enough for a long ride, so out the door at 06:30ish into the dark, it's not too cold, though I'm wrapped up like an Eskimo, I can see a few stars, so it isn't cloudy so there shouldn't be any rain, but the roads are wet, and I mean very wet.

I found a USB rechargeable rear light in a drawer a few weeks ago (I think I bought it for one of the kids) so I charged it up and added it to the bike for a second rear light just in case it was gloomy when the sun came up.

I'd planned the ride so I went out into the wind for the first 30ish miles, so head south out of Leicester, through the familiar... (actually all the roads were familiar today as I deliberately planned a route that meant I never actually got that far away from home ^_^)

Through Countesthorpe, Bruntingthorpe (where the Vulcan was rebuilt) through Walcote and back up to Lutterworth, first 18 miles done and it is still dark, but getting lighter. Looped up to Claybrooke Parva and over the A5 and down through Monks Kirby to Brinklow. I'd reached mu most southerly point and it was now light enough for the lights to be off, though I left the rear USB light on as I wanted to see how long it would last. Up by Ansty golf club and at the T junction they have installed traffic lights. I stop at red and wait, and wait, and wait..... No beeping cycle sensors, so in the end I jumped them. :evil:

Though the wind wasn't that strong, a headwind is a headwind and it was nice to start heading in a northly direction and getting the benefit of a tailwind.

I skirt around Nuneaton and back over the A5 and head to the cafe stop, Whitemoors in Shenton. I get there and the chain is across the drive, so either they aren't opening or I'm too early. Never mind, I am prepared and carry on with the ride as 3 miles down the road is Sutton Wharf, and that is always open.

Get to Sutton Wharf on 51 miles, rest my bike against a bench and strip off some layers and shove them in my rucksack, then trip up the step and nearly go through the glass door. :wacko:

I eventually get through the door and the girl inside was relieved I hadn't hurt myself, not as relieved as me :laugh:

It's about 10 o'clock and I'm not really hungry, so just have a latte and sit outside as it is such a lovely morning, and I was a bit wet having just gone through a flooded road and thought it wrong to sit inside and make everything I touch wet and mucky.

Latte downed and I'm back on the road, through Market Bosworth, up the bloody horrible hill into Desford and then a couple of miles of respite on the down hill / flat.

Through Anstey (a different one to the earlier one, this one they let anybody live here) and up the ridiculously tiny climb into Cropston that I absolutely hate. It is a nothing climb, but I always struggle on it. I'm up to about 67 miles now and I starting to struggle, maybe I should have eaten earlier, though I have enough body reserves to see me through to next Christmas!

I get to just over 70 miles and see a bench, so I decide to have 5 minutes, scoff down a kit kat and I'm back on my way. Through Barrow and on my way to Prestwold and I get cramp, so off the bike, quick stretch, back on the bike and hit the second flood of the day, I get through okay and wind my way to Wymeswold, where I have to climb out of it, this was the bit of the ride I had been dreading, drag my lardy arse up at and conveniently stop for a call of nature :rolleyes:

I'm now 81 miles into the ride and the rest of the ride is pretty much down hill but into the wind all the way home.

Go down Berrycott Lane, doing it the other way around it is a lovely climb as it is steepest at the bottom and continually shallows out as you go up it. The headwind was quite strong and I never felt like I was descending at all.

Into Cossington and I'm cramping up again (I know, I'm just not fit enough!) so off the bike again, stretch again, back on the bike again.

I'd planned the route to go down the River and through Watermead Park, it is nice and flat, but is very slow as it is shared paths, but I was glad of the change in pace to try and recover a bit. Get on the River and it is roaring down. We've had a fair bit of rain recently, especially yesterday and it had obviously found it's way into the River.

Navigate my way through all the dog walkers/sensible parents trying to wear the kids out for tonight and hit my third flood. I could ride through it, but it is only an underpass, so I go up the stairs and onto the road above. Stopped at MacDonalds for some now much needed food and after a bit of a recovery wind my way home.

All in a tad over 102 miles at my slowest pace for the year (Watermead and being knackered for the last 35-40 miles didn't help)

Even though I didn't throw my hat into the ring for any of the challenges this year, this ride completed doing at least one imperial century each month and I've finished on 22 for the year.

The USB rear light was still brightly blinking away 8ish hours later when I got home. So that is going to get used a bit more by me, it was very bright.

Edit: The bike is absolutely filthy, don't tell anyone, but I think I might have to clean it :whistle:

https://www.strava.com/activities/8286325498

and I took some photos :ohmy:

The canal at Sutton Wharf:

IMG_0132.JPG

and behind that, the cafe, if I'd stepped back to get the full name in, I would have been in the canal:

IMG_0133.JPG

and the River Wreake in Watermead, the water was flowing at a pace, but it was lower here than further down.

IMG_0134.JPG

13 rider

Guru
As an Anstey ( spelt the correct way ) resident .I would like to officially complain about the statements in the above account of a ride . We locals don't let just anyone live in our village it's a local village for local people

That little climb into Cropston does not even qualify as a hill but yet I hate it as well
By the way you could have rode up the hill to my house for a cuppa to find out I wasn't in 😂

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
I set out around 10ish for my annual Christmas Eve ride to remember family members no longer with us. I was feeling a little lethargic when setting out, nothing to do with the 4 pints and 2 double whiskey’s in the pub with my boss yesterday evening of course 😁

There was a mix of sun and cloud and it turned out to be milder than I thought, meaning my thermal leggings was a step too much.

I began by weaving through nearby estates to the Crematorium, where I spent a few minutes at Nan & Grandad’s plaque. I then followed roads and cycle paths to Shelton, before joining the road to Bicton Heath, where I visited the church and my other Nan & Grandad’s grave.

I then went through Calcott, Gains Park and Radbrook, to Nobold, where I joined the very busy main road through Hook a Gate and Annscroft. I turned directly into the strengthening wind to Exfords Green and Stapleton, which was hard going and lots of traffic on the lanes as well.

I stopped at Dad’s and we went over to the church, to Mum’s grave, where Dad had put a nice decorated Christmas Holly plant for this years memorial. I had some lunch with Dad and then set back out about 2pm.

I’d seen the forecast for next week, dreadful and so with my Half Century Challenge ride entry still required for December, plus the legs not feeling too bad despite this only being my second ride back after Covid, I decided to go for it.

I crossed the A49 without having to stop or a car in site, which surprised me and I then batted the wind to Ryton and followed the mucky lane to Longnor. I was glad to turn North again from there and have a tailwind, but unwelcome spots of rain started to fall, completely unforecast. The Met Office said less than 5% chance of rain, but to be quite honest they’ve made a complete mess of virtually every forecast they’ve made this week 🤦‍♂️

I made good progress to Frodesley, note to @rickshawphil that the road here is closed for the 1st week in January, not last week as you thought. It was pleasant cycling to Acton Burnell, where a couple on horses were chatting in the middle of the road, then onto Pitchford. I paused by the driveway to the hall for a drink and another chap on a bike gave me a friendly greeting as he cycled by saying “that’s the last downhill for a bit!”

I continued on to Cantlop and then the rolling section to King Street and on to Betton Abbots. I paused at the entrance to the waste disposal centre, to check the mileage and I could see I would need to extend the final section slightly, to get the 50k in.

So I went along the old railway path, having to negotiate loads of people who couldn’t walk in the correct lane, then looped around the estate and back home. There had been a few more light showers in the last few miles, but not enough to have to don a waterproof.

Really happy to have got the 50k in, as I feared I may not, a few weeks back and so another year of the challenge completed 🙂

31.53 miles at a steady 11.3mph avg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
My plans to go out yesterday were scuppered by apathy, no desperate need for anything from the shops and inadvertantly getting twatted though ill-calculated daytime drinking..

Today I didn't much feel like going out either, although after yesterday's miserably unproductive exercise in failed self control I knew nothing good would come from staying in.

I skipped a shower and breakfast and got straight out on the Fuji. The chance of rain was low (according to the forecast) however I had to delay leaving because of a sporadic smattering of big drops and the skies remained largely ominiously grey.

Attire was thin walking trousers, merino base layer, thin gloves and a synthetic beanie. To start with my upper body was chilly but after 2-3 miles I'd reached a comfortable temperature.

The plan was to head out south-westish on small roads and more amenible bridleways; meaning a headwind out and tailwind back. As it happened the rain started to come down again just as I was out of the village and I seemed to be right on the edge of the weatherfront, so I ended up heading north west instead to chase the small chink of blue sky. To begin with this approach generally worked well, the damp spots on my clothing drying off fairly quickly once I was out of the rain.

Pursuing the good weather led me on a route I'd not really done before; through villages vaguely familiar from my youth but not from behind bars.. I found a new stretch of bridleway, which like so many started off wide and well-surfaced and ended up a bit of narrow, muddy singletrack covered in wet leaves. I also passed through an extremely muddy farmyard with a formidible-looking bull in an adjacent field and a cage of very shouty dogs in one of the outbuildings.. so was glad to leave that behind.

By this point I'd pushed out quite far north of the local grotty town and was starting to feel a little worse for wear. I'd attempted to follow a route south from the village I was in, however when I got there it turned out to be a decidedly well-enforced footpath. I stopped for a bit to put on my fleece and start eating an apple before making my way back to the main road into town.. which was no fun thanks to the consistant headwind.

Heading back what small patches of blue sky remained were rapidly disappearing and as I was coming through town it started raining. I elected to take the more direct route back, which unfortunately was also consistantly into the headwind. At this point I was probably 6-7 miles from home; the rain getting steadily heavier as I plouged on into the merciless headwind. There were a few fairly significant hills too, which punished my now-ruined legs further but again I just kept my head down and got up them.

Once back in the village I was a bit of a state - soaked mostly to the skin, getting increasingly chilly and utterly exhausted. Needless to say I was relieved to get back and treated myself to a proper wet shave, good long, hot shower and some massive eggs on toast :smile:

Being a fair weather cyclist I can't remember the last time I got that soaked on a ride however as usual I feel so much better for getting out, while the experience has also served to reinforce how lucky I am to have somewhere warm and dry to hide.. even if it often feels like a prison.

I've towelled-off the soaked Fuji and it actually looks a lot cleaner than it has for quite a while, thanks to the rain's effect on the muddy splashes on various bits of it. Both it and the Genesis are due a chain wax and I guess now wouldn't be a bad time to do it, if I can be arsed..

Anyway, all in all a shade under 29 miles and 1450ft at 127bpm and 10.7mph for around 1500kcal burned.

IMG_20221225_120111.jpg

IMG_20221225_121410.jpg

IMG_20221225_145816.jpg

I hope I'm not the only one who managed a festive excursion - happy Christmas folks :smile:

Last edited:

footloose crow

Über Member
25 Dec. Riding with Santa Nicklaus

I planned a longer ride today. Hoping to get the Festive 500 off to a good start and make room for Christmas dinner and some mince pies. I felt good and was going strongly, through the mud and rain, when the phone rang. Madame Crow has a flat tyre (on the car) and could I abort my ride and come and help fix it please? Of course dear.....

So I must turn around and my 80k ride becomes a 35k ride instead but it was still good to be out riding with with a tired looking old bloke dressed in red who I met on the way. He said he had had a hard night, was fed up with reindeer and preferred to be out on his bike. I tried to take a pic but he was moving too quick.

DSCN1193.jpeg

DSCN1194.jpeg

DSCN1196.jpeg

cwskas

Über Member
My older daughter invited us for dinner this evening. Kathy was not feeling well, so I decided I would ride to her house for dinner. One of my granddaughters had borrowed my van and was planning to bring it back tonight, so I figured she could take me and the trike home.

I was a bit late getting away, so I only took one photo and still ended up being about 15 minutes late arriving. After the ride I was primed for the home-cooked ham, mashed potatoes, green beans, green peas, corn. Yummy.

20221225-2Beccas.jpg

This was my first time to ride to her house through Waco like this. Cycle.travel was right on except for crossing under the interstate highway. I tried several other apps and they also wanted to route me down the feeder road (very busy usually) and then up the feeder road on the other side (not quite as busy).

20221225-2Beccas-map.jpg

Last edited:

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
My plans to go out yesterday were scuppered by apathy, no desperate need for anything from the shops and inadvertantly getting twatted though ill-calculated daytime drinking..

Today I didn't much feel like going out either, although after yesterday's miserably unproductive exercise in self control I knew nothing good would come from staying in.

I skipped a shower and breakfast and got straight out on the Fuji. The chance of rain was low (according to the forecast) however I had to delay leaving because of a sporatic smattering of big drops and the skies remained largely ominiously grey.

Attire was thin walking trousers, merino base layer, thin gloves and a synthetic beanie. To start with my upper body was chilly but after 2-3 miles I'd reached a comfortable temperature.

The plan was to head out south-westish on small roads and more amenible bridleways; meaning a headwind out and tailwind back. As it happened the rain started to come down again just as I was out of the village and I seemed to be right on the edge of the weatherfront, so I ended up heading north west instead to chase the small chink of blue sky. To begin with this approach generally worked well, the damp spots on my clothing drying off fairly quickly once I was out of the rain.

Chasing the good weather led me on a route I'd not really done before; through villages vaguely familiar but not from behind bars.. I found a new stretch of bridleway, which like so many started off wide and well-surfaced and ended up a bit of narrow, muddy singletrack covered in wet leaves. I also passed through an extremely muddy farmyard with a formidible-looking bull in an adjacent field and a cage of very shouty dogs in one of the outbuildings.. so was glad to leave that behind.

By this point I'd pushed out quite far north of the local grotty town and was starting to feel a little worse for wear. I'd attempted to follow a route south from the village I was in, however when I got there it turned out to be a decidedly well-enforced footpath. I stopped for a bit to put on my fleece and start eating an apple before making my way back to the main road into town.. which was no fun thanks to the consistant headwind.

Heading back what small patches of blue sky were rapidly disappearing and as I was coming through town it started raining. I elected to take the more direct route back, which unfortunately was also consistantly into the headwind. At this point I was probably 6-7 miles from home; the rain getting steadily heavier as I plouged on into the merciless headwind. There were a few fairly significant hills too, which punished my now-ruined legs further but again I just kept my head down and got up them.

Once back in the village I was a bit of a state - soaked mostly to the skin, getting increasingly chilly and utterly exhausted. Needless to say I was relieved to get back and treated myself to a proper wet shave, good long, hot shower and some massive eggs on toast :smile:

Being a fair weather cyclist I can't remember the last time I got that soaked on a ride however as usual I feel so much better for getting out, while the experience has also served to reinforce how lucky I am to have somewhere warm and dry to hide.. even if it often feels like a prison.

I've towelled-off the soaked Fuji and it actually looks a lot cleaner than it has for quite a while, thanks to the rain's effect on the muddy splashes on various bits of it. Both it and the Genesis are due a chain wax and I guess now wouldn't be a bad time to do it, if I can be arsed..

Anyway, all in all a shade under 29 miles and 1450ft at 127bpm and 10.7mph for around 1500kcal burned.

View attachment 672264

View attachment 672265

View attachment 672266

I hope I'm not the only one who managed a festive excursion - happy Christmas folks :smile:

Your ride write-up (And the feel-better factor afterwards) sounds good. Your pictures are better still. The breakfast looks awesome ! Look at the size of them. They Emu eggs ?? 🤣🤣

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Your ride write-up (And the feel-better factor afterwards) sounds good. Your pictures are better still. The breakfast looks awesome ! Look at the size of them. They Emu eggs ?? 🤣🤣

Thanks! Tbh it's all pretty mundane stuff, especially compared to some of the fantastic scenery and routes some other CC members get to enjoy.. it is however pretty much the only thing that actually brings me any pleasure, meaningful physical exercise or mental grounding so I'm always grateful for the opportunity to get out.

Unless the local farm has a secret stash of giant birds the eggs are just from normal chickens; granted the largest two from the two boxes I had and evidently both double-yolkers too :becool:

cwskas

Über Member
It was a beautiful day here except for the temperature. It was slightly warmer today, but still required my head and face covering, wind pants and jacket. I decided on a simple out and back. Good smooth roads and nice wide shoulders. It is a state highway but traffic is quite reasonable except in the early mornings and after 4pm when people are starting to head home from work.

Yesterday, temps were 6-8º C, today they were 6-10º C. Winds were variable, but mostly a quartering headwind going and quartering tailwind headed home. Today I got out earlier, determined to get some pictures!

These goats were up near the road and not bothered by me at all. But when the dogs started barking, the goats huddled up.
20221226-50mi-1.jpeg

This non-native, but commonly seen beast was just taking in the sun and totally ignored me.
20221226-50mi-2.jpeg

A different field of goats with no guard dogs
20221226-50mi-3.jpeg

This place has quite the history. I will have to do some research to make sure I get my facts straight and then write it up sometime.
Today there were a number of horses enjoying the day.
20221226-50mi-4.jpeg

This sits at the main gate to the above property. It is now owned by a veterinarian who sees "any breed, any spine" . . . but only on Tuesdays.
20221226-50mi-9.jpeg

Iredell, TX -- estimated population, 342. Home to a common rest stop, a gas station / convenience store on the main highway.
That is normally all I see, but today I decided to get some pictures of the town.
20221226-50mi-5.jpeg

The Bosque river runs through town and isn't very impressive except in periods of rain covering a large part of the watershed. I have seen it almost to the bridge. There was a thin sheet of ice on the water today.​

20221226-50mi-6.jpeg

Downtown, all the buildings are boarded up except for City Hall & the community center.​
20221226-50mi-7.jpeg

20221226-50mi-8.jpeg

4:15 moving, 5:34 elapsed, 11.8 mph avg, 30 mph max
20221226-50mi-map.jpg

Willie

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
Horrid weather forecast all week although a 2h window between the heaviest rain events presented itself today. Took advantage of the respite to avoid cabin fever and enjoyed a 26 mile loop up and around the Lune Valley. I normally pre-plan my rides but this one involved nothing more than following my nose. Explored some less visited roads and got home before the sleet set in. 42 km with 437 m of climbing and license to spend the rest of the day with a book.

03F2C934-ECB1-4218-80F1-1EB06FB13D16.jpeg

17B98744-290E-4CB5-8F22-18A69831E66C.jpeg

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
I arranged an early Bank Holiday ride with @Rickshaw Phil , to hopefully beat the rain that the Met Office hadn’t really a clue about timing on, but they guessed at 11am in their latest lottery pick…

It was spotting with light rain at 8:50am, as I set out into the cold and biting wind up to Phil’s. I was a few minutes early and so took the opportunity to ask Phil if he’d have a quick look at my troublesome rear brake which doesn’t behave itself these days.

We then set out and climbed up Lyth Hill, pausing for a photo at the crest and the car park was filling up with walkers heading for some fresh air.
09A1037E-B0DE-4D94-88F5-F79EA165938A.jpeg

7FA9D00B-54F0-4A34-89EC-224494CBFCA4.jpeg

We descended and didn’t have too long to wait for a gap in the A49 traffic, to get onto it for the short section before turning to Condover. As we climbed up to Ryton, the rain started to get a bit heavier and so we paused in a lay-by in order to decide whether to don waterproofs. The clouds were lighter and broken in places, so we decided they weren’t really needed currently and it was the correct decision as it virtually stopped again on the mucky lane to Longnor, which was busy with traffic today.

We paused for a snack at the crossroads and then headed North, hoping for the southerly tailwind that the forecast suggested…..it never really felt like it was there to me though!

We passed through Frodesley, Acton Burnell and Pitchford, where a car was following us for ages, despite there being plenty of room to pass. As we left the village, they decided to blast past on a blind corner, with revs galore in their Range Rover 😆 Probably cost them £20 in petrol with the amount of right foot they used!

We climbed up to Cantlop and then enjoyed the fast descent to the bridge, where Phil saw 33mph on his speedo.

There was quite a bit of traffic about on the roads now, as we finished off by riding through Betton Abbots and parted ways near mine.

As I got back home and was putting the bike away, the rain got heavier, so Phil may have got a bit wetter on his last couple of miles.

19.65 miles at a very slow avg 10.8mph chatting pace

Top Bottom