Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Great effort (And write-up) @Supersuperleeds 🙏✅👍

All uphill

Still rolling along
My plans to go out yesterday were scuppered by apathy, no desperate need for anything from the shops and inadvertantly getting twatted though ill-calculated daytime drinking..

Today I didn't much feel like going out either, although after yesterday's miserably unproductive exercise in failed self control I knew nothing good would come from staying in.

I skipped a shower and breakfast and got straight out on the Fuji. The chance of rain was low (according to the forecast) however I had to delay leaving because of a sporadic smattering of big drops and the skies remained largely ominiously grey.

Attire was thin walking trousers, merino base layer, thin gloves and a synthetic beanie. To start with my upper body was chilly but after 2-3 miles I'd reached a comfortable temperature.

The plan was to head out south-westish on small roads and more amenible bridleways; meaning a headwind out and tailwind back. As it happened the rain started to come down again just as I was out of the village and I seemed to be right on the edge of the weatherfront, so I ended up heading north west instead to chase the small chink of blue sky. To begin with this approach generally worked well, the damp spots on my clothing drying off fairly quickly once I was out of the rain.

Pursuing the good weather led me on a route I'd not really done before; through villages vaguely familiar from my youth but not from behind bars.. I found a new stretch of bridleway, which like so many started off wide and well-surfaced and ended up a bit of narrow, muddy singletrack covered in wet leaves. I also passed through an extremely muddy farmyard with a formidible-looking bull in an adjacent field and a cage of very shouty dogs in one of the outbuildings.. so was glad to leave that behind.

By this point I'd pushed out quite far north of the local grotty town and was starting to feel a little worse for wear. I'd attempted to follow a route south from the village I was in, however when I got there it turned out to be a decidedly well-enforced footpath. I stopped for a bit to put on my fleece and start eating an apple before making my way back to the main road into town.. which was no fun thanks to the consistant headwind.

Heading back what small patches of blue sky remained were rapidly disappearing and as I was coming through town it started raining. I elected to take the more direct route back, which unfortunately was also consistantly into the headwind. At this point I was probably 6-7 miles from home; the rain getting steadily heavier as I plouged on into the merciless headwind. There were a few fairly significant hills too, which punished my now-ruined legs further but again I just kept my head down and got up them.

Once back in the village I was a bit of a state - soaked mostly to the skin, getting increasingly chilly and utterly exhausted. Needless to say I was relieved to get back and treated myself to a proper wet shave, good long, hot shower and some massive eggs on toast :smile:

Being a fair weather cyclist I can't remember the last time I got that soaked on a ride however as usual I feel so much better for getting out, while the experience has also served to reinforce how lucky I am to have somewhere warm and dry to hide.. even if it often feels like a prison.

I've towelled-off the soaked Fuji and it actually looks a lot cleaner than it has for quite a while, thanks to the rain's effect on the muddy splashes on various bits of it. Both it and the Genesis are due a chain wax and I guess now wouldn't be a bad time to do it, if I can be arsed..

Anyway, all in all a shade under 29 miles and 1450ft at 127bpm and 10.7mph for around 1500kcal burned.

View attachment 672264

View attachment 672265

View attachment 672266

I hope I'm not the only one who managed a festive excursion - happy Christmas folks :smile:

Great write up!

I must go across to the bay and search "fuji"

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
10.22 Miles, Longest Ride this year...
7365E4D3-9683-4560-BA6E-8303DE16BAF8.jpeg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Apparently some parts of the UK have been sunny today. Not in South Devon!

Yesterday was grim and wet, today was dry but with a lot of water around.

I did 16 miles on my mountain bike, sticking to tarmac, as I’d have sunk on a bridleway.

I saw a nice herd of ruby red Devon cattle in a yard and a massive buzzard nearly collided with me in the lanes.

16 miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/8320662456

209FBFDD-E059-4AC1-A28F-B81D71C0E2A7.jpeg

9118DDB8-DA7D-477B-A20E-17A2097C7A44.jpeg

CE029471-5773-4B83-BBFA-41A9987F479F.jpeg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Well, I got out there. Started the new year with a 22.8 miler out to Frampton on Severn via Saul and Fretherne and back. Loads of walkers, cyclists and horse riders out there today, but almost no cars. Nice. Layered up with loads of clobber. I don't have that much cold weather gear, so might have to do a load of washing before I get out again. Rain expected soon. Still, nice to get out there and start the mileage ticking. I've just booked a week in the Yorkshire Dales in the Spring, so I've got an incentive to get myself fit in the meantime. Might also book a place on the Gower for a few nights and get in a ride or two in South Wales too.

Mike_P

Guru
Struggled to a high of two degrees today according to my outside thermometer so opted for the ebike well wrapped up in winter clothing and a ride to Lidl at Knaresborough; with the sun out Waterside was busy with pedestrians and hence something of a stop start ride along it. To avoid the crowds the ebike got another thrasing up Castle Ings.
Picked up a couple of packs of dark chocolate rice cakes, something the new nearer but smaller Lidl does not stock, along with three bags of walnuts as their mobile app had 10% off on them.
Waterside/town centre avoidance route taken for the return and for once the traffic lights on the bridge over the railway stayed green. Followed the A59 through Starbeck then a twisty cycle route pass a school to reach the Council depot; figured that as bins were being emptied normally this week it would be open and I needed a new paper/card recycling bag. Transpired they have changed and instead of a plastic bag they now are bigger stronger bags with a solid base. Thoughts of stuffing it on top of the pannier rack dashed, thankfully it just fitted in the rucksack.
Back to the cycle route and a bridge over the railway with an acute left turn and onto a well peddled route home.
13.18 miles 1014ft elevation.

Top Bottom