Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Snow stopped play. 🙂

20240117_084056.jpg

ianbarton

Veteran
It was just above freezing. I had hardly gone out on the bike for a few weeks,
mostly because of continuous rain and flooded roads. We hadn't had any snow here
but the temperature has been below freezing on most nights. The puddles on
local roads were frozen, but I decided I could just avoid any icy sections. My
route was along country lanes, which usually only have little traffic.

Everything was going to plan until I turned into Lodmore Lane. There must have
been a very local snow shower overnight. There was only a scattering of snow on
the road, so I decided to continue. I kept to the middle of the road to avoid
the tracks on any vehicles, which had probably been compacted down to ice. By
the time I reached Ightfield I thought I should get onto the main road, which
should be clear of any snow. I decided to cycle to Calverhall first. The slope
up to the village was very icy, but once I got into the village the roads
looked as though there hadn't been any snow, although there were many frozen
puddles.

Things were going well until I descended the hill into Longslow. There was a
sharp left-hand bend at the bottom of the hill and I could see a tractor and
trailer approaching. The cab was well above the hedge and the driver should
have a clear vision of me. There was a pulling in space just before the bend and
I expected the tractor would wait there while I came round the bend.

The driver continued round the bend and I squashed myself into the hedge just
avoiding being squashed by the back wheels of the trailer. Luckily the rest of
the ride, which is slightly uphill all the way home, proceeded without incident!

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2024-01-17-13h18m08s804.png
    vlcsnap-2024-01-17-13h18m08s804.png
    434.1 KB · Views: 12
  • vlcsnap-2024-01-17-13h16m53s752.png
    vlcsnap-2024-01-17-13h16m53s752.png
    377 KB · Views: 11
  • vlcsnap-2024-01-15-22h10m06s344.png
    vlcsnap-2024-01-15-22h10m06s344.png
    177.7 KB · Views: 11

All uphill

Still rolling along
The roads here looked dry so I tentatively set out on my bike, well wrapped up including balaclava and silk gloves under my usual handwear.

Within 2 minutes I was having a great time, riding through town, very aware of the numerous cars whose drivers hadn't bothered to de-ice windscreens and mirrors.

Very soon out of town and through Stoke St Mary and climbing up to Slough Green. A quick photo and on down the wonderful open downhill stretch towards Staple Fitzpaine.

Having lost all my altitude it was time to start climbing again. A quick detour back to Stoke and then back into Taunton by 11am.

Wonderful

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
Having been ice bound for the last few days I saw a weather window emerging today before the weekend storms hit. I waited for the ice to melt and the hailstones to persist before setting off on a wild goose chase along the Lune estuary.To qualify that, I’d noticed large groups of geese heading in that direction and was interested to see where they are feeding. I picked up the estuary path and encountered a covering of hailstones that sounded like ricicles as I rode over them. Fortunately the roads were clear of ice as I confronted a strong headwind on the flat roads toward Pilling. The fields were full of Curlew, Lapwing and field fare, then I finally found a few hundred pink foot geese. Mission accomplished I headed inland admiring the snow covered Bowland fells and had a lunch stop in Scorton. Wonderful to get out. 59 flat km with just 240 m of climbing.

picture of bike by Lune estuary with the tide out.

IMG_0423.jpeg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
This morning, faced with the stark prospect of a bare-knuckle-fist-fight with my own mother over the last egg the need for a farm shop visit became abundently clear.

I toyed with the idea of taking the back route on the MTB, but the sloppyness and potential mess / frame damage put me off. Eventually I took the Brompton, going via the bottle bank then on to the farm shop to find it bereft of the precious.

It was then out the other side of the village to the less-favoured egg-monger; paying a-now-apparently-default 10p above the asking price for standard-sized eggs for the exclusively available "extra large"... however upon arriving home I found at least one to weigh a poultry (no pun intended given the highly serious nature of this situation) 63g. Extra-large for a bantem maybe - I guess that's shrinkflation for you..

In addition I've not been to the supermarkets for ages, and given the prospect of the weather turning tomorrow and high liklihood of me sitting with my head entirely up my arse for another whole day in the absence of a ride, a bit later in the day I forced myself out on the Fuji for a cautious ride to the big shops.

Weather was crisp and clear but warmer than I've become "used to" on the commute. Roads had been salted but at times it was hard to visually distinguish between water and ice; while there was still frost present in some areas that had been shaded from the sun all day, so I took it steady; thankfully with no traction issues.

Shops were OK; boomer-central since it was daytime on a school day, however less-dawn-of-the-dead-esq than the local shop. Coming back nearly got squashed by a school bus that inadviseably pulled out into oncoming traffic then cut across me to avoid an accident (with the oncoming car, at least); perhaps karma was on my side today as I apparently encountered the same vehicle coming the other way upon returning home, so offered a choice hand gesture to the driver.

In summary about 7 miles on the Brompton, 22 on the Fuji. A nice day but didn't enjoy either ride hugely, although there were some pleasant bits. I undoubtedly feel better for it having got home, but sadly no fat endorphine high today. Puts me on 75-ish miles for the week with the commute; which has to be a January record :smile:

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
The first port of call was the pharmacy in the village. Going around a bend by the church I nearly came off when my front wheel skidded left on an unseen inspection cover. Without knowing I’d unclipped my right foot and pushed myself up in an instant, pure reaction saved my bacon!

Then it was on to my mother in law via the coast road.

She was panicking as her car tyre pressure warning was on. I reassured her that it was all to do with cold weather and parking on gravel. It’s a brand new car and it gets more complicated to reset the warning…

On through Ford and back via Creacombe.

Birds seen- greenshank, redwings, fieldfare, little egret, 3 buzzards and a wren.

https://www.strava.com/activities/10593403901

IMG_8616.jpeg

IMG_8617.jpeg

IMG_8619.jpeg

IMG_8620.jpeg

IMG_8623.jpeg

IMG_8625.jpeg

IMG_8618.jpeg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Came on the train to Bath yesterday with the Bromptons.
Today we cycled to Bradford on Avon along the Kennet and Avon canal, it’s a ride we’ve done a few times but not on Bromptons.
Riding down the hill from the city centre, we joined the tow path not far from Cleveland Bridge, and headed to BoA on nice smooth surface for the first couple of miles, then the surface was typical hard pack tow path, not brilliant for small wheel bikes, but not awful.
Lots pedestrians, runners, dogs, cyclists and canal dwellers about today that made progress ‘interesting’.
The canal had lots of ice floating about, and although the going was cold, it wasn’t bitter today like yesterday.
Once in BoA we had a mooch about, stopped for hot chocolate and cake, and came back the same route.
Not a lot of hanging around for photos today, but there’s a couple. I was intrigued by the plaque and the history of the Royal Cycle Corps.
About 20 miles.
IMG_4673.jpeg

This aqueduct takes the canal over the river Avon, which is extraordinary, then, Brunel had to run a railway underneath it years later! Extraordinary engineering!
IMG_4675.jpeg

IMG_4676.jpeg

IMG_4677.jpeg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I put my bike in the van and drove to South Brent for a ride up to the Avon dam.

Once there I was going to see what the weather was like as I want to go to find a clapper bridge at Huntingdon Warren, but this is bleak and open moorland…

It’s a 3 mile climb up to the car park, some bits at 17% so it’s nice to see the end.

The Charolais bull was in the field without his girls, but other than that there wasn’t much about.

The South West Water access road goes along side the river Avon and it’s so pretty .

Once above the dam I decided that it was too rubbish to go on, so I’ll save the clapper bridge for a sunny day.

Back down to the car park and instead of retracing my route I turned left…..

A long, steep hill! Luckily I had a tail wind to help me up it. After this hill there was another great lump to go over.

On the way into South Brent down the hill I didn’t manage to stop to photograph the sign that said “South Brent welcomes careful cyclists “

I must have been going too fast, careless!

https://www.strava.com/activities/10600369097

IMG_8641.jpeg

IMG_8649.jpeg

IMG_8651.jpeg

IMG_8652.jpeg
l
IMG_8653.jpeg

IMG_8656.jpeg

IMG_8659.jpeg

IMG_8660.jpeg

IMG_8661.jpeg

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I've been doing gentle miles since coming off before Xmas; thought it was time to test the legs today. So I climbed straight up on top the ridge and followed the ridgeway towards Sidmouth, the wind gusting in unexpected directions, then I veered off into lanes for a while, encountering loads of muck, gravel and potholes. Eventually I found the A road back towards home, but curiosity got me again and I followed a lane, which didn't take me where I thought it should, but dumped me back on the main road near the top. From there it was a descent into town just as the rain was starting. 30km and not too much discomfort.
IMG_20240121_144639176_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240121_145604191_HDR.jpg

bluenotebob

Veteran
A bimbling meander of a ride today to get me off the mark in this year’s HMCAM challenge. Nothing special – just enough to stretch my legs for the first time in January. I’ve been out on one of my bikes every day but I hadn’t done more than 25km – so a longer ride was overdue.

I let the SW wind blow me through Pont Ruelland and Quihiac, then I dropped down into La Ville Février (for the ‘F’ of my La Ville series in the ABC of Village names). Through Mauron and onto the V3 Voie Verte .. followed that right down to the Lac Au Duc near Lézonnet. Back N to Loyat then across country to Guilliers, trying to avoid the busy D13 as much as I could. Light rain arrived when I was by the church in Guilliers – and the temperature reached 15.1C: much milder than the first half of January when it barely crept above zero most days. Still raining when I got home – but so slight as to be irrelevant.

60km in nearly 4 hours .. I’m getting slower every year but I don’t care

Some photos – even though it wasn’t a good day for taking pix

La Ville Février – I’ve no idea why you’d name a village after a month but perhaps the original name was similar and it became corrupted to something more common. I’ve realised that it’s a complete waste of time asking the French about the origins of placenames (toponomy?) – they’re simply not interested

Ville Février pic 1.JPG

The ruisseau de Vaurois just before it flows into the river Doueff, south of la Ville ès Zalos

Ruisseau de Vaurois pic 2.JPG

Rue des Acacias in Kernoul – an ‘A’ in what will be a very occasional ABC series of street names (prompted by @Mike_P ). This one is dedicated to the memory of Tony Hancock who, I’m sure, “lived” on Acacia Avenue.

Rue des Acacias, Kernoul.JPG

Top Bottom