Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A coldish but gloriously sunny day in Glos. Discovered a broken valve on my rear wheel before I started the ride, so my spare wheel came in really handy. It's never a perfect solution, just putting on a different rear wheel, as (as happened on this occasion) the wear pattern on the chain and the cassette don't always match, and you can get a little chain slippage under strain. Nothing you can't get around with thoughtful use of the gears, but it looks like I'll have to lose my fingerprints again changing tubes on a wheel with a Schwalbe Marathon Plus on it. Wrapped up warm and did my bread & butter ride out to Frampton on Severn and back for a 21.4 miler before taking the missus out to the shops. Frampton village green was looking superb in the sunshine:
DSCF1731.JPG

DSCF1732.JPG

Headed back via Fretherne, stopping off for this pic of the first daffodils of the year:
DSCF1734.JPG

Came across an old cycling buddy on the way home and chatted for a mile or two before parting ways. A nice ride, well worth the effort of wriggling into multiple layers of clothing this morning.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A Friday afternoon ride in sunshine. I had my knees out and I could have done with a little more insulation coat wise, but it kept me moving!

Dunstone, Wilburton, Battisborough and home via Bridgend hill.

15 fresh miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/10633870216

IMG_8700.jpeg

IMG_8701.jpeg

IMG_8702.jpeg

IMG_8703.jpeg

IMG_8704.jpeg

IMG_8705.jpeg

IMG_8706.jpeg

IMG_8707.jpeg

IMG_8708.jpeg

bluenotebob

Veteran
A late afternoon ride today, after dealing with shopping, laundry, administrative stuff – and getting enough wood split and into the house for fires tonight and tomorrow night. I hope to be out on the bike most of the day tomorrow and I think it might be too dark to get into the woodshed by the time I get home (having done all this preparation, of course, I probably won’t go anywhere..).

It felt definitely spring-like this afternoon – birds singing and everywhere starting to look greener. It was only a chilly N wind that kept the temperature down to around 11/12C – otherwise, it could have been March, or even April.

A loop around SBdM and Plaisance, then up to Kerminy. Back past the saw-mill in Evriguet, then along the D2 to La Ville Geffray (for the ‘G’ of my La Ville series in the ABC of Village names) – then home on some quiet lanes. At one point, the bike got muddy tyres and, being the Princess, she insisted on going through all the puddles on the way back so that she had clean shoes again by the time we got home.

23km in 90 minutes – and it was great to be out in some sunshine

Foals grazing near SBdM .. they were born mid/late November and there were originally four of them – now only three foals plus a mare in the field. Mother kept a very close eye on me all the time I was faffing about, getting the camera out of my day-bag etc.

Foals near SBdM.JPG

Pollarded chestnuts near Kerminy. One of my nephews explained to me recently the difference between pollarding and coppicing – one is where the tree is cut roughly about 1 metre from the ground – the other is flush with the ground. Hopefully I’ve got it the right way round..

Pollarded chestnuts near Kerminy.JPG

View from the SE of the éoleons (wind-turbines) near Ménéac. The church at Ménéac is visible between the fourth and fifth éoleon (counting from the left). I have posted a similar view before – but it never bores me.

Ménéac éoleons from the SE pic 3.JPG

chriswoody

Legendary Member
What a difference a bit of sunshine makes. After weeks of grey skies, snow, storms and floods it was finally time for some sun. The temperatures were fine as well with a lovely 7 degrees on the thermometer. I headed north with the intention of riding a bit further than normal, the forest bright and the skies blue.

IMG_20240127_122032416_HDR.jpg

It was the usual trails that I've been riding all winter and there was no great rush as I meandered along soaking in the sunshine and listening to the sounds of the forest. Slowly everything is starting to stir from it's deep winter slumber, the air is alive with the sound of songbirds and overhead a lone Buzzard wheel lazily over the forest.

IMG_20240127_124259206_HDR.jpg

The paths are pockmarked with puddles, but overall it's dry and welcoming out here and I'm almost on autopilot following trails I've enjoyed for years. Before long the first of the heathland hoves into view and I stop for a welcome bite to eat and watch a number of Buzzards wheeling overhead, it's certainly been a day for them.

IMG_20240127_130711164.jpg

I'm heading on now for a few more kilometers before the chirping from the Garmin tells me to turn West on a trail I've never travelled before, this will lead me out onto trails I've not ventured on for a while. At first it's dark and dank, the trees close and the floor ripped up from the Wild boar that live here, it's a little foreboding here and I'm glad when it opens back out.

IMG_20240127_132743413_HDR.jpg

The next kilometers pass pleasantly enough and I'm really enjoying it out here, it's amazing how something as simple as a forest can have some many different faces.

IMG_20240127_135025185_HDR.jpg

I stop for another quick break by some small ponds, the sun is feeling surprisingly warm on my face and I reflect on how spring is not far away.

IMG_20240127_135528186_HDR.jpg

Onwards I travel, heading south now I've started to rejoin some familiar trails. I make a small diversion from the route I'd wanted to travel because a bridge has been closed. It's a shame it's a lovely old wooden bridge that has finally been condemned, but nobody wants to fix it.

IMG_20240127_142349886.jpg

I'm into the last kilometres now and another diversion, this time onto a track I'd not traversed before but looked inviting. A small single track trail weaving between the trees that provides some small fun.

IMG_20240127_151454742_HDR.jpg

Finally after 50 wonderful kilometres I'm home and the kettles on. Spring is not so far away now, I love this time of year. I know the weather could still turn wintery at any time, but days like today will soon be getting more frequent.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
After a morning beach walk I had a ride up the Puffing Billy track to Redlake.

As soon as I was through the moor gate I saw a pair of buzzards and a sparrowhawk . One of the buzzards had a rest on a hawthorn until I moved him on.

I also saw lots of ravens and a skylark.

It was bleak the further up you got, it wasn’t cold, but neither was it warm. In fact for the descent my buff went under my helmet and I put another coat on!

15 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/10641069486

IMG_8745.jpeg

IMG_8747.jpeg

IMG_8749.jpeg

IMG_8751.jpeg

IMG_8757.jpeg

IMG_8758.jpeg

IMG_8760.jpeg

IMG_8766.jpeg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I parked near to Ringmoor Cottage above Sheepstor, the weather was foggy!

I set off up the road towards Nattor and decided to do the Nuns Cross and Widowmaker loop rather than getting lost on open moorland.

The mizzle was coming in from the South West and my right glasses lens was covered in droplets. Not good when negotiating a rocky path.

Up to Eylesbarrow and its abandoned tin mine and then on to Nuns Cross. I could see the Christmas tree faintly, but not the house.

Then it was down the Widowmaker. I was congratulating myself on not putting a foot down over any rocky bits….. then it kept happening!

Down to Burrator, then stopped at Sheepstor church before climbing up to y favourite dry stone wall and the van. Almost 10 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/10648104996

IMG_8780.jpeg

IMG_8781.jpeg

IMG_8784.jpeg

IMG_8785.jpeg

IMG_8787.jpeg

IMG_8788.jpeg

IMG_8789.jpeg

IMG_8793.jpeg

IMG_8797.jpeg

IMG_8802.jpeg

geocycle

Legendary Member
A day full of promise that never quite delivered. Had a late start due to waiting for an electrician but was buoyed up by a dry and bright forecast. Unfortunately somewhere between the forecast and reality, thick cloud and a cold south easterly wind intervened. Nevertheless, I headed toward Bowland via a 17% climb up Littledale and another up Jubilee Tower. Face aglow I continued into the wind to tackle the Trough which was lovely as always. Rather than go to Dunsop Bridge I went past the wild boar park and dropped down into Chipping for a bacon sandwich. It never quite got light all day and I was grateful of the dynamo as I headed up Beacon fell before heading to Cockerham and home. Not many notable birds except three kestrels and a tiny goldcrest until I was nearly home and got a good view of a gorgeous barn owl. 87 km with 1270 m of climbing.

Pictures of Littledale, Jubilee Tower, Trough of Bowland and view from Beacon Fell

IMG_0431.jpeg

IMG_0432.jpeg

IMG_0434.jpeg

IMG_0435.jpeg

I had to go and collect an order for the cafe today.

2024_01_29_Commute_01.jpg

So I was being paid for this...

Chris S

Legendary Member
I cycled over to Ladywood along a busy dual carriageway. I had safety concerns as I thought I might be vulnerable in fast moving traffic. I needn't have worried, the road was gridlocked for most of my journey. The biggest threat I faced was from the cannabis smoke and exhaust fumes that I was forced to breath in as I passed stationary vehicles.

bluenotebob

Veteran
Drove to Loyat with the MASSI (one of my MTBs) in the back of the van. It’s a good starting point for a ride south – and I should do it more often. Headed through Ploërmel on the V3 Voie Verte and down to the Nantes-to-Brest canal at the Pont des Deux Rivières. Followed the canal towpath past Montertelot, le Roc St André and on to Malestroit.

I decided I’d try and get up to la Chapelle de St Marc .. it’s above Malestroit, almost literally – a very steep climb. I tried to get up it a few years ago but it was in the summer and way too hot – today was only around 10C and dry, so I went for it. Gave up cycling after 200m and pushed the bike for another kilometre or so. I was following the GR 347 (a national Grand Randonnée footpath) – I’ve done bits of it before so here was a chance to do some more. It is also one of the Santiago de Compostéla pilgrimage trails that cross Brittany (heading for Nantes, as far as I can tell, before linking up with another goes towards the Spanish border).

Made it to the top and the views back over the Oust valley were great – but because of the low cloud and murk not worth taking photos of. The land opens up after la Chapelle and it’s gently rolling – earth tracks heading south (the Compostéla trail) and east (the GR 347). It’s great up here and I’m definitely coming back – before end April or whenever it starts to really heat up. There’s another road that leads back to Malestroit – steep and fast .. I shot down it and I’ve hadn’t so much fun since I was 14 (well, I have – but you know what I mean).

Pottered around Malestroit then back up the canal towpath to Bagotais, then onto the V3 again and back to the van with a short loop out to Trégadoret to take my total for the day up to 61km .. just a tad over 4 hours cycling.

On the towpath south of le Roc St André, heading towards Malestroit

S of Roc St André pic 1.JPG

On the towpath along the Malestroit ‘cut’ (the Nantes-to-Brest canal leaves the river Oust at la Née – and a ‘cut’ was dug to Malestroit. The canal rejoins the Oust by the main bridge in Malestroit)

Malestroit canal cut pic 1.JPG

A couple of pics in Malestroit

Malestroit pic 1.JPG

Malestroit pic 3.JPG

On the way home, north of la Chapelle Caro

N of Chapelle Caro.JPG

Dave 123

Legendary Member
There is a thread somewhere asking about Spa titanium tourers, I said I had one and vouched for its loveliness…. Then I realised I hadn’t ridden it for a year!

I had to cut the lock off as I hunted high and low for the key.

Just a loop around Yealmpton, Wilburton and Creacombe.

Going down into Yealmpton at 31.5 mph with a van up my backside I decided to apply a little brake…. They’d become a little stiff! Eventually they made an appearance!

Mizzly and dull. The bike is class, I should ride it more.

https://www.strava.com/activities/10681282236

IMG_8852.jpeg

IMG_8853.jpeg

IMG_8854.jpeg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Another ride to help my mother in law.

Down to Noss, there was a mimosa in full bloom, and through the back lanes to the coast road. in Battisborough there was a girls football match going on. Down into Holbeton and do my good deeds and see Bo, my favourite golden retriever.

Once done I set off up through the village. As I passed the public toilets I could hear shouting…. It kept going. Turned out there was an old bloke stuck in the cubicle. I booted the door after telling him to get out of the way, I didn’t want to add to his misery!

Back via Creacombe.

https://www.strava.com/activities/10686514146

IMG_8864.jpeg

IMG_8865.jpeg

IMG_8866.jpeg

IMG_8867.jpeg

98AA2E4E-D39F-4624-88BE-04914FF523A9.jpeg

IMG_8871.jpeg

IMG_8873.jpeg

Top Bottom