Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
still getting blown about just walking down the road, lost some of the roof edge last night so no way im attempting to ride .
Yes me too. Been fairly bright and warm but still not pleasant outside in the wind. Might venture out for a walk later.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Yes me too. Been fairly bright and warm but still not pleasant outside in the wind. Might venture out for a walk later.

i wandered down to my mums , only 5 mins maybe and it wasnt too bad once i got out of the direct blast .Thats the problem with living on top of a hill with views ... direct line for the wind .

A trip along the Thames to Sonning

Passing under a Brunel railway bridge at the Kennet/Thames intersection. Doubt he would approve of the graffiti
1.jpg

On the other side is the Horseshoe bridge, looping round between both banks
2.jpg

Then onto Sonning Lock - looks nice in the Summer with everything in bloom
3.jpg

Then we're at Sonning bridge, an infamous bottleneck at busy times
4.jpg

Here we have the Bull Inn, said to be frequented by George Clooney, being as he has a property here
6.jpg

The village is very quaint, if you can see beyond the traffic and parked cars
7.jpg

Along the Thames itself, it would be fair to describe the going as soft. I returned home along the A4, very windy but avoiding all the mud.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Squeezed in another 50km ride before the weather turned too bad. A bit blustery and a couple of light showers, but I barely noticed it. This was as close to cycling Nirvana as I think I have ever come. Bike running silently and faultlessly, mostly flat roads, some great new smooth tarmac surfaces, shelter from the headwinds and benefit of the tailwinds. There were whole sections of 4 or 5 miles at a time where the hills (if you can call them that) normally bring out a few beads of sweat on the brow but today went completely unnoticed. I have never felt more like the bicycle is a part of me .... or the other way round. Instead of me cycling from A-B-C, today the bike just went from A-B-C as if it wasn't me doing it. It was a shame when the ride came to an end.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday: The forecast wasn't too bad so I joined @gavgav for a try at the 50 miler. During the first mile I found that the saddle on the Hawk still needed a tweak so that was done at the meeting point before we set off properly.

The traffic wasn't too bad just after the morning rush which allowed us to get along at a good chatting pace. From Berrington it got a little easier as we picked up a tailwind which helped past Atcham, Upton Magna and on the climbs of Haughmond and Ebury Hills. There were pheasants behaving stupidly between Hadnall and Harmer Hill.

By Myddle the day had warmed up. It's one of those days where layers are hard to judge - it feels warm anywhere sheltered but the wind feels cold. I thought I'd keep the fleece on but unzip the legs off my trousers, which seemed to work as a good compromise. From Myddle the route took us to Weston Lullingfields then through Bagley to Hordley. The wind was still helping so progress was easy. The traffic increased after passing the ABP Meats plant, and included a high proportion of lorries so it wasn't quite as enjoyable. From Rednal we didn't have the wind assistance anymore and also headed onto quieter, sand covered lanes. We'd splashed through a couple of minor floods earlier in the ride but they seemed to become more frequent as we headed through West Felton.

A missed turning after Woolston took us onto lanes I haven't ridden before through Sandford. A lunch stop was taken at a junction with a view then we approached Knockin from the opposite side to that intended. Not a problem to me as I haven't cycled in from this side before and it's mostly downhill, which was enjoyable.

The lanes after Kinnerley are in a shocking state and really rough to ride. Gav had intended to take a detour past the Royal Hill but we could see flooding across the fields and sure enough the road we wanted was impassable so it was back to the rough roads to Pentre. I suggested the slightly more scenic route back through Shrawardine, which just happens to avoid an annoying hill. We couldn't avoid the next one between Montford Bridge and Bicton but Gav wound his way up it without too much difficulty.

Some more new-to-me roads followed on the approach to Shrewsbury as the lane we'd normally cut down is closed for electrical works. It made a nice change and I'll probably go that way again when I feel the need for a change of scenery. A slightly meandering route bumped up the mileage a little more as it took us back to Meole Brace where we parted.

A good ride - the rain held off and we got well over the target distance this time thanks to the little detours. It was Gav's longest ride for a good couple of years and my longest since I started recording them on Strava last year (although it shows more on there than my speedometer does).

58.7 miles at 11.8 mph average. Strava says 2156 feet of climbing.

20240408_101050.jpg

20240408_101100.jpg

A couple from Upton Magna.

20240408_130003.jpg

Much later in the ride: The view to the Breiddens from our lunch stop near Knockin.

20240408_131224.jpg

At the famous Knockin Shop.

20240408_133202.jpg

We can see the Royal Hill but can't get to it - not this way at least.

20240408_133242.jpg

Gav suggests we might have to swim.:laugh:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Yesterday’s mini rides. A collection of mini bus/ride/office/ride/office/ride/mini bus errands today.
The only unusual thing about the day was instead of taking one folding bike to the place where the buses are parked, I took two, the Brompton and the Raleigh 20 I bought last week and decided to move on.
I met @FrankCrank at my first drop and handed over the R20 and after a brief chat we arranged to me at a local cafe for a coffee and a chat. I delivered the bus, then cycled the mile and a half for the cafe. After a nice chat a cuppa and a bacon bap ( thanks Frank) I had to get to the office. Cycling out Whitley up the hill towards Reading, the weather was dry but still windy, nothing of note occurred, which is always a bonus, but the nice down hill swoop to my destination was interrupted by 4 way temporary traffic lights. 🚦
Arriving at the office I later had to go to the other office for some sundry task of no consequence, cycling some of the way along the Kennet & Avon canal, along side the Oracle shopping centre, then up the Bath Road a short distance.
After that back to the first office, via the town for a visit to the bank, any to Greggs. After folding the bike to enter the emporium of the vegan sausage roll I discovered a long queue. I don’t queue, queuing is something up with which I can not put, I unfolded the bike and went back to the office via a local Co-Op and availed myself of a hot pastie.
Back at the office for a couple of hours, then back to collect the mini bus looking very smart after having the graphics replaced.

A smidge under 10 miles in total. The Brompton is a very useful tool for this sort of work.
The only photo of the day’s shenanigans is of the mini bus.

IMG_5012.jpeg

Yesterday’s mini rides. A collection of mini bus/ride/office/ride/office/ride/mini bus errands today.
The only unusual thing about the day was instead of taking one folding bike to the place where the buses are parked, I took two, the Brompton and the Raleigh 20 I bought last week and decided to move on.
I met @FrankCrank at my first drop and handed over the R20 and after a brief chat we arranged to me at a local cafe for a coffee and a chat. I delivered the bus, then cycled the mile and a half for the cafe. After a nice chat a cuppa and a bacon bap ( thanks Frank) I had to get to the office. Cycling out Whitley up the hill towards Reading, the weather was dry but still windy, nothing of note occurred, which is always a bonus, but the nice down hill swoop to my destination was interrupted by 4 way temporary traffic lights. 🚦
Arriving at the office I later had to go to the other office for some sundry task of no consequence, cycling some of the way along the Kennet & Avon canal, along side the Oracle shopping centre, then up the Bath Road a short distance.
After that back to the first office, via the town for a visit to the bank, any to Greggs. After folding the bike to enter the emporium of the vegan sausage roll I discovered a long queue. I don’t queue, queuing is something up with which I can not put, I unfolded the bike and went back to the office via a local Co-Op and availed myself of a hot pastie.
Back at the office for a couple of hours, then back to collect the mini bus looking very smart after having the graphics replaced.

A smidge under 10 miles in total. The Brompton is a very useful tool for this sort of work.
The only photo of the day’s shenanigans is of the mini bus.

View attachment 727048

Took the new/old bike for a spin over to Caversham yesterday/ and a nice walk along the Thames. My plan is to use it a few times whilst here, till the end of June, then I might take it back to Thailand. Being a folder, it'll pack into a suitcase. The tyres are pretty shot, so are the wheels. Tried trueing them, but rounded a few spoke nipples. No problem, most likely go with regular sized 406mm wheels/tyres. The twist shifter has a few false neutrals, reminded my of my old Raleigh Chopper as a kid. For a tenner - great value.
Hope to meet up again soon when you have the time :okay:

Rain left off, but wind howling - decided to have a meander over at the Uni. First stop, Harris Garden
1.jpg

Lots of trees in blossom now
2.jpg

The 'Cherry Bowl' putting on a great display
3.jpg

There's a few Giant Redwoods here, but guess they're still saplings really compared to the ones in the States
4.jpg

Mr & Mrs Egyptian Goose, with their new brood
5.jpg

Next, a jaunt round the lake
6.jpg

A popular spot for a Swan's nest, seen it being used for several years now
7.jpg

A proud boast, and why not
8.jpg

To round off a pleasant trip, a visit to the on campus Cole Museum, must get my dose of creepy crawlies.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 2

Landsurfer

Veteran
Rain left off, but wind howling - decided to have a meander over at the Uni. First stop, Harris Garden
View attachment 727087

Lots of trees in blossom now
View attachment 727088

The 'Cherry Bowl' putting on a great display
View attachment 727089

There's a few Giant Redwoods here, but guess they're still saplings really compared to the ones in the States
View attachment 727090

Mr & Mrs Egyptian Goose, with their new brood
View attachment 727092

Next, a jaunt round the lake
View attachment 727093

A popular spot for a Swan's nest, seen it being used for several years now
View attachment 727095

A proud boast, and why not
View attachment 727096

To round off a pleasant trip, a visit to the on campus Cole Museum, must get my dose of creepy crawlies.

”Whenever I see a university using the term Green I know I’m dealing with liars.”
Nice bike …. Not a lie …

bluenotebob

Veteran
I went to bed last night with a 6- or 7-hour ride planned for today (a Lunacy Distance ride that would have been my longest ride of the year). Woke up at 4.30am for a pee – nearly fell over getting out of bed because of excruciating pain in my left calf (think it was because I spent too much time on Wednesday up a step-ladder wearing wellies, sorting out a log pile). Abandoned any hope of doing a very long ride today and went back to sleep. Finally woke up again at 10am, felt like shoot .. but the restorative effect of strong coffee, pain chocolat and a couple of roll-ups meant that I was able to salvage something from today.

I left home with a vague route plan that would take advantage of the WSW wind, at least in the middle third of the ride. Our weather has finally changed for the better and we may be in for a couple of dry and warmish weeks from now on. I’d only been on the road for 30 mins when I started undressing .. I’d seriously under-estimated just how quickly the weather had warmed-up. Off came the skull-cap and outer wind/waterproof. Up to Ménéac via Evriguet and la Corbinais. From there I’d get the benefit of the wind all the way east to Gaël (roughly 18km of wind-assisted riding). Took the first hour of the ride pretty slowly but no complaints from my calf – good news.

Almost into Illifaut and I had to stop again, find somewhere discreet and take off my thermal long-johns (it’s habit – I’ve been wearing them every day since October and I hadn’t thought to take them off before leaving home on the bike). Into Illifaut – stopped for a couple more photos – then on to Gaël. I was starting to feel the weight of my day-bag, stuffed with divested clothing, camera and food. Picked up the V3 Link road south out Gaël then deviated a bit to le Bran. Starting to tire because of the heat and the weight on my back so opted for the fast road (D2) into Mauron from the west, then up the hill to Pont Ruelland and back home via SBdM.

58.62km in a shade under 3.5 hours. Only half what I’d originally intended to do – but enough in the circumstances.

Approach to Illifaut from the west – this road was included in the ‘return leg’ of last year’s PBP….magnolia trees (I think)

Illifaut magnolias pic 2.JPG

Landsurfer

Veteran
I went to bed last night with a 6- or 7-hour ride planned for today (a Lunacy Distance ride that would have been my longest ride of the year). Woke up at 4.30am for a pee – nearly fell over getting out of bed because of excruciating pain in my left calf (think it was because I spent too much time on Wednesday up a step-ladder wearing wellies, sorting out a log pile). Abandoned any hope of doing a very long ride today and went back to sleep. Finally woke up again at 10am, felt like shoot .. but the restorative effect of strong coffee, pain chocolat and a couple of roll-ups meant that I was able to salvage something from today.

I left home with a vague route plan that would take advantage of the WSW wind, at least in the middle third of the ride. Our weather has finally changed for the better and we may be in for a couple of dry and warmish weeks from now on. I’d only been on the road for 30 mins when I started undressing .. I’d seriously under-estimated just how quickly the weather had warmed-up. Off came the skull-cap and outer wind/waterproof. Up to Ménéac via Evriguet and la Corbinais. From there I’d get the benefit of the wind all the way east to Gaël (roughly 18km of wind-assisted riding). Took the first hour of the ride pretty slowly but no complaints from my calf – good news.

Almost into Illifaut and I had to stop again, find somewhere discreet and take off my thermal long-johns (it’s habit – I’ve been wearing them every day since October and I hadn’t thought to take them off before leaving home on the bike). Into Illifaut – stopped for a couple more photos – then on to Gaël. I was starting to feel the weight of my day-bag, stuffed with divested clothing, camera and food. Picked up the V3 Link road south out Gaël then deviated a bit to le Bran. Starting to tire because of the heat and the weight on my back so opted for the fast road (D2) into Mauron from the west, then up the hill to Pont Ruelland and back home via SBdM.

58.62km in a shade under 3.5 hours. Only half what I’d originally intended to do – but enough in the circumstances.

Approach to Illifaut from the west – this road was included in the ‘return leg’ of last year’s PBP….magnolia trees (I think)

View attachment 727255

Heat .... no sympathy... What is heat ?
Weight on your back ..... this is a "Thing" .... never in the history of the universe should a cyclist have anything on their back ..... Ever .... Thats what the bike is for ... to carry stuff ....

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Half a ride to report today. Was drizzling this morning but promised to stay dry near the west coast so I decided to go down to Lytham St Anne’s and visit the Apex bike shop and cafe there. All went well, pancake flat through the agricultural villages of the Fylde. But, when I was just approaching Lytham rolling down a public single carriageway road I came to a sudden stop and ended up in a puddle! The road was part flooded at both sides with a narrow strip of water about a metre across at the crown. I headed for that and must have gone down a huge flooded pothole. I pulled myself to the side and to a house being renovated to be greeted by another cyclist with blood from a head wound. He’d done exactly the same thing and according to the builders I was the fourth that morning! The handlebars were twisted along with a brake lever and mudguard. I undid the ahead set and twisted the bars back but the wedge disappeared down the head tube. With only roadside tools I decided to fasten it in place a s well as I could and limp into Lytham and bike shop cafe. They were brilliant and James sorted the bike while I had some lunch. He was also going to report the pothole. By now my knee and wrist had stiffened up so was contemplating a train home. But good fortune occurred and I bumped into a local cyclist called Glen at the bike shop who insisted on taking me home. Must have been a 90 minute round trip for him, so kind. So 51 km completed, a torn waterproof and a slightly swollen knee.

No pictures unfortunately.
I had a similar thing happen to me on a flooded lane in Devon last year. I hit a submerged pothole hard and got an instant flat tyre. I DID take a picture of the road...

Devon puddles.jpg

Snakebite puncture in puddle pothole.jpg

What I didn't realise for a few hours was that the force of the impact was so great that it affected my eyes! When I got back to my sister's place, I started seeing two or three times the previous number of (eye!) floaters, but also (much more alarmingly) vivid flashes of light.

I had my eyes checked and was told that the shock of the impact had probably loosened the thick fluid in the eyes, and the motion between that and the retinas was causing the sensation of flashes of light. There doesn't seem to be any serious damage done. I'm still irritated by floaters, but the flashes reduced over a period of 6 or 7 months and I am rarely bothered by them now.

PS If you ever get a sudden increase in floaters or start seeing 'flashies', get your eyes checked ASAP because that liquid (vitreous humour??) going walkabout can lead to a detached retina and serious vision loss!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
excruciating pain in my left calf (think it was because I spent too much time on Wednesday up a step-ladder wearing wellies, sorting out a log pile). Abandoned any hope of doing a very long ride today and went back to sleep. Finally woke up again at 10am, felt like shoot ..
I hope that there isn't anything seriously wrong with your leg, but having suffered a similar thing and nearly ending up dying from ignoring it for a week or two, my advice would be to get it checked out if you have any doubts at all!

Take a look at... Symptoms of DVT.

GWS!

Top Bottom