Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
The Kingpin Sprint. As rare as tits on a shark, from the 60s
I know of two in existence.
View attachment 726551

View attachment 726553

Such class, cottered Stronglight chainset … my friend Kim had one … my bike was what I had built up from throw outs at the local tip … hand painted, I was so proud of it …

Landsurfer

Veteran
You ain't got it till we see the pics :okay:

What’s not too like ….

IMG_0433.jpeg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Well my virus is shifting but I still feel like a weak little lamb on the bike, so I’m not pushing it too hard.

Just a loop around the coast, Battisborough, Holbeton and Ford, then home through Creacombe.

Birds seen were buzzard kestrel little egret yellowhammer chaffinch goldfinch great tit
blue tit and the first nuthatch I’ve seen in ages, which was a treat!

12 and three quarter miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/11116643594

IMG_0563.jpeg

IMG_0565.jpeg

IMG_0567.jpeg

IMG_0568.jpeg

IMG_0569.jpeg

IMG_0571.jpeg

IMG_0572.jpeg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Last night's weather forcast suggested a sunny start today; the prospect of an idealised early ride occupying my brain as it drifted off into an early, alcohol-augmented slumber.

I awoke early this morning and sure enough the sun had definitely got their gender-non-specific hat on. Checking the forecast for the rest of the weekend confirmed that this morning was probably the best time for the necessary utility ride and I was up and out the door on the Fuji uncharacteristically early for a non-school-day.

By the time I reached the outside the sky had clouded over, but it was still warm enough to justify the year's first excursion for the 3/4 lengths and I pressed on. Buoyed by a significant tailwind I wafted fourth; content just to be out and amongst many other early-rising outdoorsy-types - all of whom were very happy and engaging; as if we were all breathing a collective sigh of relief that some decent weather had finally arrived.

As I continued the morning seemed saturated with that warm, comfortable breeze that's so often the prelude to a barmy summer's day once the cloud clears. Saw plenty of fellow cyclists; all of whom were again very engaging and friendly. Even 100% of the roadies said hello; which I think is a first! Passed a dude on a hard tail heading down into the valley who'd caught me up by the ascent on the other side; which was commendable given his knobbly tyres and other MTB-on-road handicaps.

En-route I stopped for a few photos and to tie up my Samsonian locks as I was getting pretty warm - I think the first time I've really broken a proper sweat this year. Did stop for a second time but declined the photo op after the bike fell over in the wind; piling on a bit more damage both superficially / cosmetically to the shifter and moreso to my fragile ego... so I didn't want a photographic reminder of that.

Once at Waitrose I was disappointed to find a dearth of unpackaged sprouts so had to go with the placcy-clad ones again. Given the time if day there were no super-bargains to be had, but I did score a few reduced items and enough to keep me fed for the next week. After Monday's tentative test-case confirmed that I still cannot be trusted with gin, the alcohol aisles were shunned.

The journey home proved less amenible thanks to a combination of more climbing, laden panniers and a pretty brutal wind making progress tough going - from the perspectives of both stability and and energy expenditure. I'd planned for this to be a sedate, casual mosey, however by the end it had all turned a bit apocalyptic and my legs had endured a bit of a hammering.

Throughout the ride I enjoyed lots of smiles from women-of-a-certain-age and saw two mates separately in their cars who spotted / acknowledged me first; helping to allay my persistant anxiety that everyone thinks I'm a total bastard.

Despite expending around 1000kcal on an empty stomach I felt no burning desire to eat when I got back (thanks, low-carb!) and instead contented myself with a tickle of the weights, a few pressups, a brunch beer, shower and wet shave while the egg pan slowly heated.

Eventually the kitchen toil resulted in a delicious fry up and I'm now feeling pretty content; if somewhat overshadowed by the constant spectre of the need to be productive for the rest of the day.

About 23 miles today bringing the week's total to a shade under 85 and the sum for the past four weeks to a little over 360 miles, which is good going for me. In addition, over this period there have only been two days where I've not ridden at all (even if some of the rides were tiny)_... which again is a decent personal achievement.

Thanks to the improving weather I definitely feel like I've turned a corner; getting in a load more exercise and finding it easy to forsake the really grotty aspects that have dogged my diet throughout the winter to concentrate on a more nutritious, lower-carb intake to target wholesome long-term goals rather than impulsively snatch miserable short-term gratification. Apart from the beer.. which is still something that needs addressing but one step at a time.

IMG_20240406_100313.jpg

IMG_20240406_101808.jpg

:smile:

EDIT - seems to have been more sun this afternoon than this morning, which is a shade irritating. Also now thoroughly knackered, although enjoying a nice warm body high from all the exertion..

Last edited:

wafter

Half a ride to report today. Was drizzling this morning but promised to stay dry near the west coast so I decided to go down to Lytham St Anne’s and visit the Apex bike shop and cafe there. All went well, pancake flat through the agricultural villages of the Fylde. But, when I was just approaching Lytham rolling down a public single carriageway road I came to a sudden stop and ended up in a puddle! The road was part flooded at both sides with a narrow strip of water about a metre across at the crown. I headed for that and must have gone down a huge flooded pothole. I pulled myself to the side and to a house being renovated to be greeted by another cyclist with blood from a head wound. He’d done exactly the same thing and according to the builders I was the fourth that morning! The handlebars were twisted along with a brake lever and mudguard. I undid the ahead set and twisted the bars back but the wedge disappeared down the head tube. With only roadside tools I decided to fasten it in place a s well as I could and limp into Lytham and bike shop cafe. They were brilliant and James sorted the bike while I had some lunch. He was also going to report the pothole. By now my knee and wrist had stiffened up so was contemplating a train home. But good fortune occurred and I bumped into a local cyclist called Glen at the bike shop who insisted on taking me home. Must have been a 90 minute round trip for him, so kind. So 51 km completed, a torn waterproof and a slightly swollen knee.

No pictures unfortunately.

Get it photographed and a claim lodged against the council. I've had success in the past with an independent claim relating to pothole damage and using a no-win-no-fee cycle-specific solicitor to claw back the cost of repair resulting from a collision that wasn't my fault.

Reactions: C R

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've slipped back into bad habits and allowed a busy week to stop me logging in on CC, so there are a few rides to catch up on.

Easter Saturday: Gav and his friend Paul are training for a sportive in the not too distant future so I joined them for a ride to get 40 miles in the bag. I took the Raleigh and with excellent timing, met Gav as he crossed the road on the way to our rendezvous point. We met up with Paul shortly after and headed out of town through one of the new estates and headed for Montford Bridge and Great Ness. With it being an earlyish start the traffic was fairly quiet and the only problem we encountered was an unexpected flood near Forton. Not a problem for Gav and I but Paul doesn't have mudguards so ended up with a damp posterior.

After Pentre and the Royal Hill (tempting, but too early) a second flood upset the planned route. It's possible we could have waded through but it looked relatively deep and we had no way of knowing what holes might be hidden under the surface so we erred on the side of caution and took the more direct way to Melverley. This put Gav's planned distance in doubt so when we got to Westbury I suggested taking a right and going to Minsterley then Pontesbury which should easily make up for the lost distance. It's ben quite a while since I last rode these roads in this direction so it made a change for me and a novelty for Paul who hasn't cycled this way before.

We found an unusual amount of traffic on the lane through Plealey then we rejoined Gav's planned route to Stapleton (bit of a moment here when a car that we thought was waiting for us pulled out in front of Paul), then to Gonsal and Condover. It was nice to see a good number of cyclists out and about. Most of them were quicker than we were. We finished off heading back via Weeping cross before I parted to head home.

44.3 miles by the time I got back at 12.1 mph average. 1839 feet of climbing recorded this time. I didn't take any photos on this one.

Easter Monday: I got out the Hawk and met up with Gav again to do another 40 miler as he was feeling keen. Paul was invited but wasn't available. The weather forecast didn't look brilliant but it looked as though the rain would clear through sooner than expected so we brought the meeting time forward by a couple of hours to make the most of it. We took our usual meandering route across town and hadn't gone too far when the rain started again. Although we hoped it would blow through quickly it didn't so a stop was needed to put on waterproofs and we swished our way out towards Uffington then Upton Magna. It did stop around here but the waterproofs stayed on a bit longer as we didn't trust the look of the clouds.

After Withington we passed a motocross event in one of the fields. I'm amazed they could make any progress at all as the field was so wet and muddy - perhaps a swamp buggy would have been a better bet. Not too far from there we encountered a flood to wade through - quite large and a little deeper than expected but we just managed to get through without dunking our feet. At Longdon-on-Tern we joined the main road and stayed on it for a while which I haven't done before. Traffic wasn't too bad and it was easy riding despite being gently uphill for most of it.

Leaving that road it was onto lanes again at High Ercall heading for Ellerdine Heath and some more roads I haven't ridden before. We pulled in to allow a car past and the driver thanked us for "Giving way to an off duty cyclist"^_^
A lunch stop was taken at the entrance to a farm driveway (got barked at by one of the dogs) then we carried on through High Hatton which has some nice views over the surrounding area. The pub at Stanton on Hine Heath looks tempting but we didn't stop this time, then it was on to Moreton Corbet and more familiar roads (and quiet too) to Shawbury, Bings Heath and Ebury Hill. The day had warmed up nicely so a layer could come off before starting the Haughmond Hill climb - my first ride of the year in short sleeves.
Back via Atcham and Weeping Cross with a detour around the new estate which I haven't been into before. As the day was now so pleasant I said to Gav that I'd probably sit out in the garden with a coffee when I got back. I spoke too soon - dark clouds were bubbling up ahead of me in my last mile and I just had time to get the bike away before the deluge started.

45.9 miles at 11.9 mph average with 1422 feet of climbing on Strava.

20240401_120534.jpg

Gav after the rain had stopped.

20240401_121139.jpg

A bit of water on the road en route to Isombridge.

20240401_124855.jpg

A very optimistically named lane at Ellerdine Heath.

20240401_131438.jpg

Lunch stop.

20240401_133811.jpg

Moreton Corbet Castle.

20240401_142827.jpg

View from the top of the Haughmond Hill climb.

20240401_144435.jpg

20240401_144448.jpg

A couple of shots from Atcham.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Wednesday evening: I've done some modifications to Gav's carbon bike to lower the gearing and make climbing a bit easier. He came over to pick it up and I took the Raleigh along on a test ride to make sure everything went smoothly. It was a fairly convoluted route taking in Meole Brace and Radbrook which was quite rolling thus allowing the new gears to be tried out. Traffic was quite busy due to the time of day but didn't cause us any issues. A faster cyclist managed to overtake us twice.

No tweaks needed and Gav seems pleased with the new setup.:okay:

9.5 miles at 11.5 mph average.

Yesterday: The weather was dry enough for a ride but it was pretty breezy. I decided to grab the Hawk and go for my route to Plealey, Oaks, Pulverbatch, Smethcott, Dudgeley and back via Condover again as this seems to work for me in windy conditions.

Setting out by climbing up Lyth Hill I was really slow against that blustery wind then got quite buffeted on the descent the other side. After crossing Longden Road a couple of overhead lines were clashing and making a pew-pew sound like sound effects from Star Wars. The climb to Oaks started off with a brisk headwind but becomes sheltered with the high hedges further up. My legs started to ache near the top and I realised that my saddle was sagging due to the laces that tension the sides having broken - raising it by about 5mm seemed to compensate for that and I'm not sure I'll replace the laces.

The wind was swirling round quite a bit as I passed through Pulverbatch, Wilderley and Smethcott, which made it a bit interesting at times. I almost decided to shorten the ride at Leebotwood but stuck with it to Dudgeley. The A49 crossing was quite busy then I picked up the tailwind I'd been hoping for which swept me along at a good rate of knots along the old Roman road. I may have got a bit too enthusiastic and soaked my legs up to the knees going through the fords at 20+mph

Reaching Condover I had thought about taking the short way back (still a tailwind) but decided to go via Little Lyth as I wasn't sure how busy the A49 would be - it wasn't quite as busy as earlier so probably would have been alright.

Great to get out but it was hard going in places. A fraction over 28 miles at 11.7 average. 2022 feet of climbing.

20240405_141154.jpg

The usual view from the top of Lyth Hill.

20240405_141601.jpg

Descending through Lyth Bank.

20240405_145255.jpg

Looking back towards Lyth Hill from the top of the Broom Hill climb.

20240405_145829.jpg

The view to the Wrekin on the way to Pulverbatch.

20240405_154130.jpg

Looking towards The Lawley after my first crossing of the A49.

Today: Gav had planned a 50 miler but with Storm Kathleen due to arrive bringing possible 50 mph gusts that didn't seem the most fun idea. The backup plan was to start early and to try and get 30 miles in before the wind got too bad. I grabbed the Hawk again and we met shortly after 8 as arranged.

We headed away from town through Meole Brace and Hook-a-Gate which was into the wind but it wasn't too bad at this point, which was just as well as my legs were aching a bit from the last ride. Just after Annscroft Gav had a moment when a car overtook and immediately came to a complete stop in front of him - bad planning rather than being malicious but it still made Gav shout.

Thankfully the roads were quieter and we could go at a sociable pace to Stapleton then Ryton. The wind started picking up which made it more of an effort to Longnor, then picked up further along the old Roman road so we weren't at all quick - in contrast a rider coming the other way absolutely flew past.
The climb to Folly Bank was mostly quite sheltered, which was good but we got blown about a bit by the crosswind on the way to Cardington and afterwards as far as Longville.

Picking up the tailwind coincided with a stretch of road where there are some nice flowing downhill sections - great riding which we both really enjoyed. There are a couple of short climbs before and after Kenley but these weren't too much of a bother today, even with tired legs. After Acton Burnell we had another flowing section and once again got along pretty well. Our fastest speed of the trip was into the dip at Cantlop Bridge where I saw 32 mph come up.
At Weeping Cross a broken down Jaguar was causing a blockage at the island. Thankfully easy to pass on bicycles.

After parting from Gav I had the wind in my face for the remaining couple of miles or so and it was uphill. I was slow, but not as slow as the rider who I briefly got stuck behind who seemed determined to plod along in their second from top gear.:blink:

34.3 miles at 11.5 mph average and 2018 feet of climbing. I might rest the legs tomorrow.:heat:

Photos were a little bit of an afterthought this time but I'll include them anyway:

20240406_094346.jpg

20240406_094431.jpg

A couple of shots taken after Cardington.

20240406_100919.jpg

Looking towards Wenlock Edge down the Hughley road.

wafter

Just done a short 9ish mile shakedown / farewell loop on the Boardman prior to getting it up for sale; which is best summed up as "visceral"..

The wind hadn't abated since earlier, and if anything was worse. Very conscious of how much I was having to trim the bike into the side wind to stay on track, while the return leg directly into it was punishing.

Not ridden the bike for time but it was as I remember it; compact, stiff, responsive, quiet, refined, fast and mostly comfortable; with the Tiagra groupset shifting clean and precise. Not so great was the hot spots in both feet becoming obvious and increasingly uncomfortable from maybe five miles in (I think because of the narrow Q-factor and unforgiving SPDs)...

It's a capable, lovely bike in many ways but I don't think this ride has done anything to change my mind about moving it on.. despite it easily being the fastest bike I own.

Last edited:

bluenotebob

Veteran
I got my new gravel bike back from the LBS last night after its first mini-service and the addition of a béquille (kickstand). I was busy with stuff in the morning (only had time for a short loop on one of my mountain bikes) but I was determined to ride the new bike for a couple of hours this afternoon.

Cue: the rain. Yes – more of it. The last dry day we had here was 24 March and since then it’s been relentless wind and rain. I’ve been out every day, defying the elements, but I really need a longish (80+km), dry ride soon – hopefully our weather gets better after Wednesday.

So a simple up-and-down the V3 Voie Verte on the KTM X-Strada this afternoon – Mauron/Ploërmel and back again: 35km (and 44km for the day).

I started cycling again in 2015 but my notes for 2015 and 2016 are hopelessly incomplete. I do have a complete set of records from 1 January 2017 however, and, since then, I’ve cycled 64,415km – which is 40,025 miles. I’m quite pleased to have passed that milestone. Still a very long way to go to get to my target of 100,000km before the end of 2027 – but any interim success is welcome.

Here’s the new bike, sheltering under a bridge where I stopped to adjust the saddle height for the nth time since I got the bike. I’ll get it exactly right sooner or later..

KTM near la Roche pic 1.JPG

A recovery ride for me today, I loaded up a workout to follow (Carter by TrainerRoad) and after I completed it I decided that I was close enough to a cafe and the conditions weren’t too bad so I looped round at a recovery pace.

1712496278863.png

Attachments

• 7b329fd29d31b9811623deb1dcf77da8c65bca98_2_254x500.png
    7b329fd29d31b9811623deb1dcf77da8c65bca98_2_254x500.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Top Bottom