Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bristolian

On Friday I just had to get out on the bike never mind what the weather was doing. I decided to take on one of my normal routes of about 17 miles on a mixture of urban streets, country roads and lanes and the dreaded A38 into Bristol. Talk about getting all four seasons in one day - all four in 80 minutes! The lane up through Gaunts Earthcot is often flooded at this time of year but I've never seen it more than a foot deep before. I was held up for about 10 minutes whilst several cars performed multi-shunt turn-in-the-road manoeuvres before manfully cycling through the flood. Only a local off-roader in her Discovery was brave enough to drive through - kinds made me hanker for another one. Wet feet were a reasonable reward for me efforts but those gradually turned into frozen wet feet :sad:, which I guess was natures way of telling me what a pillock I had been :smile:
I've not been out on the bike much this month and felt rather weak by the time I'd made it back home but hey ho! I felt much better for it :okay:
route1.jpg

flood.JPG

Bristolian

After Friday's ride (above) I should have taken a day to recover but the weather yesterday was looking good so I figured another ride was in order. A longer route today to include a rather steep hill that will be part of the Tour de Bristol on 13 April that I wanted to check out. The first part of the ride, from Filton, through Cribbs Causeway, down through Easter Compton and Pilning onto the A403 at Northwick before turning left onto the Passage Way and a stop for a couple of photos. From there it was straight to the Severn Bridge services for a coffee stop. At this point I was feeling pretty good :becool:
Coffee drunk and cake eaten I got back to riding; towards Thornbury before turning right to Olveston and Tockington where another right turn takes me towards Fernhill and the A38. Fernhill rises 60m in 0.71 miles but the killer part is the last 1/4 mile which has an elevation of 30m :cursing:
Well, I made it about half way up the steep bit before I ran out of legs and had to walk the rest :ohmy: From the top of Fernhill the ride along the A38 back to home is pretty normal with my progress only spoiled by roundabouts and traffic lights.
TBH, I should have allowed myself a day of rest but really wanted to make the most of the decent weather. I'm going to give Fernhill another try next weekend ... so fingers crossed for a better result 🤞 Total distance 24 miles at an average speed of 14mph 👍
route2.jpg

The Prince of Wales Bridge from Passage Road
IMG_2029.JPG

The Severn Bridge from Passage Road
IMG_2030.JPG

No beer today, no bap either! The cafe was shut, so we had to find another one. We went east today which is fairly flat and my only climbing was on the three passes of the Haddon Hill bridleway to the west of Peterborough. On the ride to the meet 1/4 of the way up it I was spinning pretty well so I kept it up for a 10th place.

Screenshot_20240331-180334_Strava

Screenshot_20240331-181316_Strava

The bike needed a bit of a clean when I got back but it had to wait for some reason.

20240331_140639

20240331_140649

Edit: To put your mind at rest it did eventually get attention.

20240331_155305.jpg

20240331_162137.jpg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I’ve not been feeling well of late. I think I have some kind of virus that’s making me feel a bit lethargic. It’s been around for about a month.

Last weekend I managed a ride of 9 miles but I felt knackered.

Today after a dog walk on the moors I ventured out on n my freshly cleaned mountain bike, again only local lanes, and only just over 10 miles but at least I felt the impetus to get out.

After yet more rain the roads and bridle ways were in a similar state!

I think I saw more cows than people!

IMG_0499.jpeg

IMG_0500.jpeg

IMG_0504.jpeg

IMG_0505.jpeg

IMG_0506.jpeg

IMG_0512.jpeg

https://www.strava.com/activities/11076697103

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I awoke to sun, clear skies and the absence of a default commute ride on account of the bank holiday.

Fridge still largely bereft of vegetables and forecast suggesting a preference for the morning, I was out on the Fuji for the second utility ride of the weekend.

I'd resolved to take it easy given the activites of last week and the commutes ahead of me in the coming days. Climbing west out of the village brought a pretty cold and brutal headwind, but this eventually passed as I peeled off down into the valley and into cover. Not much to report other than plenty of happy, civilised people on the rural stretch; out and about doing wholesome things in the bank holiday sun - walking, jogging, cycling, getting dragged around by their dogs...

Enter the town that shall not be named and the landscape changed to a linear carpark of static, po-faced tossers in their metal slave boxes; which I took great delight in overtaking as if they weren't there. Bonus points are awarded to the old bloke in his soft-roader who was about to turn across the stationary traffic I was overtaking (in clear view) only to see me at the last minute and react with a solid 10/10 Kennith Williams "Oh Matron" face..

Once at Waitrose, strutting around upright and puffy-chested thanks to post-ride endorphins, I scored a legit head of broccoli but had to make do with placcy-packaged brussels as that was all they had. Picked up some well-priced promotional gluten-free hippie bread and in the face of spiralling beer costs and spring sunshine acquired some gin and tonic; time will tell if I can manage to consume it responsibly and avoid getting accidentally sh*tfaced periodically.

Upon leaving I nearly ran over some boomers in the car park who were evidently attempting to reach the shop using any sense other than their vision. Slowly approaching I'd resolved to go behind them; only for them to see me at the last minute and step backwards - right into my path. Granted, I need a bell.. but of course it wouldn't be necessary in such situations if people paid at least the slightest bit of attention to their surroundings.

Had a nice ride back featuring more pleasant interactions with happy wholesome people, the journey ending on a slightly sour note however after a belligerent if low-drama face-off with a somewhat speeding driver coming the opposite way as I tried to turn across the road. Had they been within the limit it would all have been a non-issue, however I'm sick of people speeding through the village and wasn't going to wait for them; so made sure they had to wait for me instead.

Once home the momentum continued with a breakfast G&T while I waited for the glorious brunch fryup to cook (soft boiled eggs on toast, butcher's sausages and black pudding, garlic mushrooms - thanks for asking :smile: ) and also took the opportunity to prep some veg to go in the oven for tomorrow's lunch.

All in all an enjoyable and constructive ride of about 23 miles; the Fuji reliable as ever and especially pleasant thanks to its new rear brakes.

Feeling great now home, although not sure where the day will go once the exercise high and alcohol have worn off, the aches have returned, the sun's gone in and I've had to endure hours of the neighbour's screaming kids out the back...

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The fragrant MrsP and I decided to go out for breakfast this morning, a pootle on the road bikes to Brightwell cum Sotwell Nr Wallingford, to Root 1 Garden Centre cafe.
A not very challenging route through south Oxfordshire villages, that were partly wet from last night’s rain, and damaged from several winters of neglect, some shockingly so.
Breakfast consumed, I had a bacon bap if you’re asking, we made are way back the way we came.
Once we were in Blewbury the Miss Whippy ice cream van gave way to us, and once passed by we did a u turn and chased it down, and purchased a couple of Bisscoff 99s in Waffle cones, and ate them on the green in the sunshine.
Then out of the village, along the awful 417 for the last mile and a half home.
A nice ride out today except I have come to the very late realisation after 4 years, that I think my bike is too big for me.

Alex321

Veteran
A fairly short ride of just 15 miles today. One of the loops I do fairly frequently, but the opposite way to usual. Out toward Cowbridge, through Llanblethian UP Church Road , then across to Llysworney. Some photos from there
1000005210.jpg

1000005215.jpg

1000005218.jpg

Then from there to Colwinston, down Crack Hill Lane, through Llangan, City then home from there.
Sunny for almost all the ride, little wind. The first time this year I rode with just shorts and short sleeved jersey - quite comfortable with temperatures between 14 and 17.

Landsurfer

Veteran
A fairly short ride of just 15 miles today. One of the loops I do fairly frequently, but the opposite way to usual. Out toward Cowbridge, through Llanblethian UP Church Road , then across to Llysworney. Some photos from there
View attachment 726211

View attachment 726212

View attachment 726213

Then from there to Colwinston, down Crack Hill Lane, through Llangan, City then home from there.
Sunny for almost all the ride, little wind. The first time this year I rode with just shorts and short sleeved jersey - quite comfortable with temperatures between 14 and 17.

That 15 mile loop was pretty much my before work training route …
In 1980 ..!
I was based at RAF St. Athan, a RAFCC member and Ogmore Vale Wheelers 2nd cat.
All my best times in TT were done in South Wales. Having a Commonwealth Games medal winner as an advisor / coach was helpful, Sgt. John Pritchard…

Did 23 miles off road today. It's nice as it is light untill 20:00hrs so evenings is back on.
I'm not bothered with this ne fangled Strava stuff . I went through the woods and over the hills then back.😁

Alex321

Veteran
That 15 mile loop was pretty much my before work training route …
In 1980 ..!
I was based at RAF St. Athan, a RAFCC member and Ogmore Vale Wheelers 2nd cat.
All my best times in TT were done in South Wales. Having a Commonwealth Games medal winner as an advisor / coach was helpful, Sgt. John Pritchard…

A friend of mine from The Sealed Knot was based at St Athan around that time I believe. Unfortunately, he died last year.

Windle

Über Member
I’ve not been feeling well of late. I think I have some kind of virus that’s making me feel a bit lethargic. It’s been around for about a month.

Last weekend I managed a ride of 9 miles but I felt knackered.

Today after a dog walk on the moors I ventured out on n my freshly cleaned mountain bike, again only local lanes, and only just over 10 miles but at least I felt the impetus to get out.

After yet more rain the roads and bridle ways were in a similar state!

I think I saw more cows than people!

View attachment 726071

View attachment 726072

View attachment 726073

View attachment 726074

View attachment 726075

View attachment 726076

https://www.strava.com/activities/11076697103

Seeing more cows than people is the mark of a good ride 👍

Top Bottom