Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gareth C

Veteran
Disaster strikes

With a settled high pressure and beautiful Autumn weather, it seemed a good idea to use up three days of holiday and get some biking in. First on the agenda was a return to the classic Cross Fell loop I’d done close to a year ago. This time the plan was to extend the loop north over Cross Fell and descend the coffin road to Garrigill.

When I set out, I knew this would be a big day out, but a good day out. As it was to turn out, the day was much longer and harder than I’d anticipated…

Across the Pennines to Dufton
Parking up at Cow Green Reservoir the fog was starting to clear, but it was still decidedly chilly. I rode down to the edge of the reservoir, but Caludron Snout just beyond was still wreathed in mist, so no photo opportunity.

gopr81221.jpg
The morning started foggy, but with promise of the wall-to-wall sunshine we’ve become accustomed to.

gopr81251.jpg
Looking back to the Cow Green Reservoir

Past the farm, there is now a gravel path along the moor. Last year there was clearly construction work up the hill, as the bridge had been augmented by a ford. Nice to see that now the work is over, they’ve banked the ford up and it’s back to a small bubbling stream. Rather than take the small footbridge, the water was low enough I could pick my way across the stones.

gopr81341.jpg
On The Pennine Way heading for Maize Beck

gopr81361.jpg
Fog yet to lift behind

Leaving the gravel path, there is a boggy descent to Maize Beck, then a picky technical section towards the footbridge, which only at the last kilometer turns into easy riding.

gopr81451.jpg
Nice riding approaching the bridge over Maize Beck

gopr81461.jpg
Looking back along the Beck

gopr81471.jpg
River crossing

Across the bridge, more bogs and rocks, but then a sustained section of riding that is a delight. Wide open, short grass, the odd (optional) rocky section or hump to add fun, and then before you know it, you arrive at High Cup. If you haven’t been here before, it’s well worth a visit, and shows the Whin Sill off rather well.

gopr81531.jpg
Approaching High Cup Nick

wp_20150930_10_33_46_pro1.jpg
Atmospheric surroundings

wp_20150930_10_37_10_pro1.jpg
Obligatory bike at High Cup photo

After appreciating the scenery (after all, it takes quite a bit of work to get here, whichever side you start on), I head down. Before long the track turns into a fast, sustained descent to Dufton which is great fun.

The only downside is I arrive in Dufton at 11:30, with half an hour to pass before the pub opens. The sunshine is beautiful, so I spend that time relaxing. Once the pub lets me in, there is no food on, as the barman has broken his arm in a trials bike accident. So a couple of bags of crisps to go with the beer, and then back on the bike.

Climb up to Cross Fell
The forks and rear shock are locked, and I embark on a classic road climb, done a couple of weeks previously on a far more appropriate bike. The big 36 tooth sprocket on the cassette in no way makes up for the draggy knobbly tyres and weight of all the (now locked out) suspension. I wind my way up the road.

gopr81781.jpg
The climb up from Knock to the Radar Station

At the first gate, I meet another cyclist heading down. He’s on a Brompton! Turns out he’d even taken it on the Marmotte. After a few minutes of nice chat and rest, back to the grind…

gopr82001.jpg
Getting higher

gopr82011.jpg
The view back over the Eden Valley

gopr82041.jpg
Almost in touching distance

wp_20150930_14_11_03_pro1.jpg
A road bike is the ideal tool for getting up here

When I eventually arrive at the summit, I head around the back of the radar station to find the Pennine Way. It’s a little bit naughty riding this, as it’s strictly a footpath, but the bulk of it is flagged, so my conscience is clear!

gopr82051.jpg
View of Great Dun Fell from the path to Little Dun Fell

gopr82071.jpg
On Little Dun Fell

gopr82101.jpg
Looking back from Cross Fell

Arriving at the summit shelter was a beautiful cycle, feeling like being on top of the world. That is, until the last 50 metres when a bunch of dogs sprint out from the shelter to bark and generally harass me. The owners give a half-hearted attempt to stop them. At that point I hadn’t seen a soul all day.

It was now just after 3pm, and I was only half way around. However, I knew the descent from Cross Fell to Garrigill was long and would be done in no time.

Disaster Strikes
Once off Cross Fell and onto the Corpse Road bridleway, the descent proper starts. However, just after Greg’s Hut bothy I hear a hissing sound from the back wheel. A quick look shows nothing obvious, and then I see it’s coming from one of the spokes. In fact the spoke is broken, and for whatever reason, the tubless setup has failed and all the air is coming out of here. I try to swish the bike around to see if the sealant can stop it, but no, the tyre is well and truly flat.

No problem, I have a spare tube, so get he wheel off and start with the levers.

It turns out the tube in my pack is also punctured: I must have picked it up from the “to be repaired” pile. I try to patch it, but now it’s covered in sealant, and the patches I have with me aren’t really big enough. Bummer.

gopr82181.jpg
At this point, all hope of fixing the tyre is abandoned. 3:30pm and 35 km of walking across rough ground ahead…

The (supposedly) fast descent to Garrigill takes literally hours. The sun is now low is the sky, and the ride down here would have been amazing.

Next is a long slog along the road to cross the river at Tynehead and work my way up the byway. The byway has (as have many) been well-and-truly ruined by off road motorbikes, and as twilight fades to night, I finally have to switch on my helmet lamp (which is now attached to the shoulder strap of my rucksack, as there is no more riding to be done). Strava will eventually show that I obtain the eight best time in the ascent of the byway. This is probably more a reflection of how few people are stupid enough to traverse it.

I reach the Alston-Middleton road and have a kilometer along here to walk, before finding the track that will take me the last six kilometers across the moor to the car park.

There is no time for self-pity, and the stars are amazing. The fog is starting to swirl around, and the GPS shows 5°C. The odd grouse is startled by me and takes off (how can they land in the dark?) and a couple of sheep clearly weren’t expecting anyone around after dark.

Eventually a light from the sole camper van in the car park is visible in the distance, and eventually I am there. It takes some time to find the car in the dark, but this is eventually done, and the bike is stowed. A quick check to make sure I haven’t left anything on the ground, and then after a short interlude to defog the car and find the exit, I’m on my way home. It’s about 9:30pm, so I’ve been walking for six hours. That was something I hadn’t banked on!

I guess the key messages are:

• Always take a light, even if you don’t expect to use it – I would have struggled to even stay on the roads without my light, and sticking to roads would have added a couple of hours to the walk.
  • I had ample warm clothes (OK, I had a spare fleece jumper). I’d worn this in the morning, but for the rest of the day I didn’t need it. On the walk back, I was on the edge of needing it, but keeping moving and having my windproof on was good enough. Another hour would have seen me putting this on.
  • I had some energy food. On the walk from Garrigill to Tyne Head I finished a whole packet of sweets. This gave a much-needed boost of energy, but after that all I had were three gels. These weren’t needed, but reassuring to know they were there.
  • I had a GPS with OS maps on (Edge 800). As all of the route I’d been on before (albeit some walking), I left the GPS on one of the non-map screens. I’ve seen the battery wear down quickly if the map display is left on. Hence, when I needed the map display, there was still power. This took much of the guesswork out of finding the locations of paths, and picking the right turn at junctions when it was pitch black.
  • I also had a paper map in the bag, and knew how to use it. I’m extremely glad I didn’t need to do that, but it would have made the last section possible without the GPS, rather than following the longer route on the road.
So my new resolution: never complain about the bit of weight these bits of safety kit take when putting the ruck sack on. Oh yes, and take more tubes!

Strava log: https://www.strava.com/activities/403754000

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
I was going to post a ride a couple of days ago, but really do not want to relive the bad bits . . .
So, a misty morning today. In the mist and chill, down Dewsbury Road, Jack Lane to Marshall Street, on to Water Lane. Cross Victoria Road, along Great Wilson Street and Crown Point Road, St Peter's Street, Regent Street, Roseville Road, Roundhay Road and Wetherby Road to Wetherby, Kirk Deighton, North Deighton, and surprising myself, Spofforth. See the picture, Spofforth as the mist starts clearing, from the rise on the North Deighton road at about midday. The first bit of the journey is really to give my ancient legs an extra mile to warm up, from Roseville Road to the Leeds Ring Road is a long occasionally grinding climb for me. Once past that, the route is mostly rural, gently hilly and the traffic is not that irksome. 35.8 miles, loads of pictures taken, enjoy this one. IMG_0876.jpg

13 rider

Guru
Day off work but busy at home ,sunshining can I find time for a ride ,you bet I can .Out with the bike . Up through Newtown Linford up Sharply hill then left at old John to Woodhouse Eaves through Swithland into Rothley and time for strava segment chasing .Millionaires row reverse 1min 13secs of flat out sprint rewarded with 3rd fastest time ^_^ nice segment as its a deadend road so no traffic. Home via Cropston one last segment to chase .Link road climb really attacked it 2min 9sec and 8th of all time 4th this year ^_^ Home 12.5 miles in glorious sunshine in near perfect conditions so glad I found time .

Last edited:
23 miles for the first time since I ripped a gash in my instep last week (I was assaulted by a chuffing great bramble bush).
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

https://www.strava.com/activities/404807473

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
https://www.strava.com/activities/404851827/segments/9707397272

As my gym membership ran out on Wednesday and I'm not paying a month's subs for 4 workouts (she says hopefully), plus the weather forecast was gorgeous, I took the bike to dialysis, parked up and then left for my ride from the Hospital car park. I headed off towards Wymondham out of habit as much as anything and then headed off up a road that I've never been down, knowing full well it was a dead end. It's got a gate across but a path for bikes and pedestrians at the side. Sadly it terminates at the A11 Norwich bound so I retraced my wheel tracks to Hethersett and then rode off to Ketteringham, East Carleton and then decided to go to Mulbarton and along the B1113 for a bit before heading up to Hethel on the Wymondham Road. From there I went off to lovely Wreningham, Silfield and up to near where I used to live. I looked at the time and thought 'oh, I've got ages yet':okay: and headed for Wattlefield and Spooner Row. It was here that my body decided that the choc breakfast shake thing at 0530 had run out of usefullness so I headed towards Wymondham and popped to the Saab dealer to ask if he had a tyre for my car. It was all locked up at 0917. I hope everything is ok there.

From there I carried on up the road, through the Hart's Farm Estate and past Waitrose (heaving so I decided not to wheel the bike to the flapjack area and back again through the tills as I have done in the past). I just headed to the hospital to get the parking ticket get out of the barrier thingy from Hubster who takes it to the ward and puts it in a machine that validates it for free parking.
31.09 miles in 2 hours and 10 mins. Lovely ride that took me over my yearly target by a whole mile.

There are pics but on borrowed broadband as SKY have still not sorted it out. Billed me though.

Gareth C

Veteran
Going “cross”

After spending far too much time on my mountain bike, I decided it was time to get some cross bike action in. A circumnavigation of Blencathra and Skidaw in the Lake District seemed to fit the bill – plenty of quiet roads, some mine tracks on the north side, and plenty of beautiful scenery.

Finding the coast-to-coast route in Keswick was the first hurdle of the day, but eventually a narrow gap in a fence was found, and the route was started.

wp_20151002_10_46_09_pro.jpg

wp_20151002_10_55_01_pro.jpg

The ride along the railway track was beautiful, but the section along the A66 wasn’t. Once leaving Scales, however, the route gradually made distance from the A66 and became nicer and nicer (though there were a lot of gates).

wp_20151002_11_30_46_pro.jpg

wp_20151002_11_36_59_pro.jpg
More gates

wp_20151002_12_03_07_pro.jpg
Amazing views into the hills from Mosedale

wp_20151002_12_21_19_pro.jpg
A strange invention, bracken bales

wp_20151002_12_22_04_pro.jpg
The view south

Once around the Caldbeck fells, the route leaves the tarmac and works its way west along old mine tracks.

wp_20151002_12_43_03_pro.jpg
Onto the mine tracks

wp_20151002_13_00_19_pro.jpg
The view east from the mine track

wp_20151002_13_04_01_pro.jpg
Just before descending off the hillside

One off the hill there is some really remote roads, gently undulating, before back off-road at Green Head.

wp_20151002_13_32_57_pro.jpg
On the track from Green Head to Longlands

From Longlands there are more undulating narrow and deserted roads, before a wonderful descent through the Park Wood into Bassenthwaite. I was expecting a pub stop here, but it was closed :-( Never mind, cycle on.

wp_20151002_14_20_54_pro.jpg
Nice wooded road on the way back to Keswick

Eventually the A591 must be joined for a high speed 6km run into Keswick. Bike packed away, and off to the Little Chamonix café for a quick snack.

Strava log: https://www.strava.com/activities/404847030

screen-shot-2015-10-02-at-19-46-30.png

Katherine

Guru
Going “cross”

After spending far too much time on my mountain bike, I decided it was time to get some cross bike action in. A circumnavigation of Blencathra and Skidaw in the Lake District seemed to fit the bill – plenty of quiet roads, some mine tracks on the north side, and plenty of beautiful scenery.

Finding the coast-to-coast route in Keswick was the first hurdle of the day, but eventually a narrow gap in a fence was found, and the route was started.

wp_20151002_10_46_09_pro.jpg

wp_20151002_10_55_01_pro.jpg

The ride along the railway track was beautiful, but the section along the A66 wasn’t. Once leaving Scales, however, the route gradually made distance from the A66 and became nicer and nicer (though there were a lot of gates).

wp_20151002_11_30_46_pro.jpg

wp_20151002_11_36_59_pro.jpg
More gates

wp_20151002_12_03_07_pro.jpg
Amazing views into the hills from Mosedale

wp_20151002_12_21_19_pro.jpg
A strange invention, bracken bales

wp_20151002_12_22_04_pro.jpg
The view south

Once around the Caldbeck fells, the route leaves the tarmac and works its way west along old mine tracks.

wp_20151002_12_43_03_pro.jpg
Onto the mine tracks

wp_20151002_13_00_19_pro.jpg
The view east from the mine track

wp_20151002_13_04_01_pro.jpg
Just before descending off the hillside

One off the hill there is some really remote roads, gently undulating, before back off-road at Green Head.

wp_20151002_13_32_57_pro.jpg
On the track from Green Head to Longlands

From Longlands there are more undulating narrow and deserted roads, before a wonderful descent through the Park Wood into Bassenthwaite. I was expecting a pub stop here, but it was closed :-( Never mind, cycle on.

wp_20151002_14_20_54_pro.jpg
Nice wooded road on the way back to Keswick

Eventually the A591 must be joined for a high speed 6km run into Keswick. Bike packed away, and off to the Little Chamonix café for a quick snack.

Strava log: https://www.strava.com/activities/404847030

screen-shot-2015-10-02-at-19-46-30.png
Stunning

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
There is a classic loop: Glossop - Snake Pass - Strines Moor - Holme Moss - Glossop. It's 50 miles with 5,000ft of climbing and it's a fair old challenge. I don't like it because the climbs go W-E, then S-N, then E-W so you always get a hard section with a strong headwind.

Except today there was no headwind, no tailwind, in fact no wind at all. For those who know the Peak District this is like rocking horse crap. So I did the classic loop. It must be about 18 months since I last did it. It's all part of a training regime. Next week I'm off to Sicily on a cycling holiday and Mount Etna ain't gonna climb itself so I've been putting the hard miles in. Amazingly it seems to have worked and today felt about as easy as a hilly 50 could feel for me

Sorry no photos. The sun beat down all day but at about 17 degrees it was really perfect for hard cycling. Having said that, I got through 3.5 litres of water. Managed to snag quite a few PBs. Particularly pleased with one of the Strines Moor climbs; it's 0.9km @13% so not ideal for the more hefty cyclist (although I've shifted a few pounds this month). Holme Moss is a struggle at the best of times but 40 miles into the ride it's doubly hard. I was lucky there was a guy a bit ahead of me. I tried to catch him and I was closing on him but ran out of road before the summit. It's an unrelenting 11-12% and that's what saps the will, no respite at all

Managed a 14mph average which is good for me. Not sure if it was the weight loss, the extra training or the perfect weather. Next week will tell me the answer

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Great ride home tonight after a couple of jars in the pub. Decided on the quiet route home

image.jpg

This is the old Cambridge to Mildenhall rail track.

image.jpg

And a bit further along.

For any locals this is just west of Anglesey Abbey. I think it's a permissive path. At least in 10 or so years no one's told me to get off it so ill just carry on. It's bliss.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Further along near Longmeadow the barley is in the barn and field tilled and sowed again for next years crop. I read somewhere there's fewer than 50 year's harvests left in our knackered old soils hereabouts, I suspect its a recurring theme around the world. I'll be long gone by then so good with that one kids.

14 miles today in lovely 70 degree sunshine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom