Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
NOt likely to be riding this Sunday, so made sure of a ride today

Again more or less made it up as I went.
Headed over Chertsey Bridge and Chobham, then up the Red Road almost to Frimley.
Chobham to Frimley is mostly uphill and the end of the Red Road is the worst bit, but I am easily fit enough now, compared to not so long ago

Turned left to Deepcut, where the Army have a base, and from there left towards Pirbright.
Nice countryside there, this is Surrey so it's not wild open country but still pleasant
After Brookwood left towards Knaphill and then through Ottershaw to Chertsey and then home

Colder today so wore merino and a warmer jacket.
Also wind a bit stronger than Wednesday's ride

35.1 miles @ 15.9 mph, 1184 feet climbed
Tried to make it a steady pace, more of an endurance ride

https://www.strava.com/activities/444110308

Old jon

Guru
I lost my clapper !! It fell off, hitting my left knee and into the verge at the roadside just as I was approaching a crossroads. Couldn't work out what had happened till a few hundred yards later, I glanced down, saw the bell, no clapper to be seen. Life can be a right prat, can it not?

So, anyway. Barbs offered to buy me a bacon sandwich at Lotherton Hall. Off I went, with the wind more or less at my back. Through Swillington via the usual bits of ex-industrial Leeds, around the south of Garforth and its cliff and took a ride through Micklefield :-

which was a mining village, I guess it is a retirement village now, there does not seem to be much else. Lotherton and butty, Aberford, Barwick, Scholes and home added up to 32.5 miles of thoroughly enjoyable riding.
It has just occurred to me. The bit of road in the video, and the High Street in Aberford were both part of the A1 up until the middle sixties. Things move on.

Return leg of todays commuting with a nice tail wind(mostly) on a nice sunny afternoon.

Nice to log a commute ride with some PB's on it,nicely aided by the wind;probably could have pushed it a bit more but still happy with the ride.

https://www.strava.com/activities/444230173

Will have to see what happens this week-end regarding the strong winds forecast for here;might get a couple more rides in if it's not as bad as forecasted.

https://www.strava.com/activities/444181268

I went for a jolly, in the unseasonably warm and nice weather. I had a visit from the valve failure fairy, but my new wonder Lezyne mini track pump came to the rescue.
image.jpeg

It's incredible, it fits in a bag easily ( or you can attatch it to the frame, in a holder it comes with) it's got a very clever reversible valve, with a pressure release button, so you don't bugger the tube valve when you release it. It's about ten inches in height, weighs almost nothing, and it pumps to 120 psi, with less effort than my full sized track pump. And, as a bonus, it looks like a Swedish made, pump action, penis enlarger (so I'm told).

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
The joys of working for ones self came to the fore again today as I decided that rather than battle the very strong winds forecast for tomorrow I'd take the day off & do my weekend ride & December entry in the "100k a month "challenge today in the not quite so strong winds.

Having not done a 100k in the New Forest this year I decided on a circular route around it going in an anti clockwise direction, which as it turns out was a mistake as it meant headwinds on the most open parts, some of which I hadn't ridden before, doh!!

It wasn't the best of starts either as 10 or so miles in near Norleywood I came across another pheasant shoot & being me had a frank exchange of views with some of them about their so called "sport" which left me fuming for the next few miles along the breezy country lanes where I often see many of these beautiful but stupid birds darting across the road.

Continuing in a westerly direction it was onto roads that I don't recall having ridden before, through Pilley & Boldre to the outskirts of Sway, where there were a few other cyclists enjoying the chilly winter sun, & on up to Burley for a quick lunch stop before embarking on second half which was on more familiar territory & out of the now annoying wind.

A near miss with a horse box meant that this half didn't exactly start well either as I made my way up through Mockbeggar to Godshill & finally a tailwind across to Redlynch before heading for home through Hampworth, Landford & Furzley.

63.5 miles & probably my least favourite metric ton of the year but the challenge is now complete!! yay!

https://www.strava.com/activities/444151319

001.JPG

004.JPG

006.JPG

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
In Search of Tailwinds

(No photos today - gloomy conditions, and a bit chilly, so I didn't feel like stopping for photo opportunities!)

The year is slowly drawing to a close and I had 3 distance targets left to complete. (I had speed goals too, but I haven't managed to get much quicker this year. Maybe next year I will make progress on that?)

Target 1: Average 11 miles a day in 2015, a 10% increase on 2014's target which I fell 1% short of due to an illness at the end of the year which stopped me doing my planned final 31 mile ride.

Target 2: Do at least one ride every month of 100+ kms.

Target 3: As well as the 100 km rides, do at least one ride of 50 kms/miles every month.

I didn't fancy doing a metric century in wet conditions and I didn't want to wait until nearer Christmas in case of the kind of problems that had last year, so when I saw that today was going to be dry here, I decided to put up with strong, blustery winds and get the ride done.

I did the ride solo since my usual riding partners were busy. I tried various loops to seek out helpful tailwinds but the wind hindered me far more than it helped. In the end I did 3 loops (with a few extra kms on the A646 to make the distance up to the full metric century).

Loop 1: Todmorden, Littleborough, Blackstone Edge, Cragg Vale, Mytholmroyd, Hebden Bridge, Tod. I had a nagging headwind on the A646, and I also had a headwind on the A6033 to Littleborough which is near enough at right angles to the A646! It is a curious feature of the local topography - winds can get funnelled down the valleys by the surrounding hills so local winds can go in all sorts of directions even if the county in general is being blasted by e.g. a south-westerly. I experienced a cross/headwind on the first half of the climb to Blackstone Edge, but finally managed to pick up a tailwind higher up where the road bends round. A slower descent than usual due to swirling crosswinds, and then a slog along the valley through Hebden Bridge back to Todmorden. The wind put me off doing loop 1 again so I came up with a loop 2 instead ...

Loop 2: A646 towards Burnley. I expected a tailwind but I didn't get it! The road climbs gently up that valley and it would have been nice to have the help of the wind, but it had other ideas ... I did a short detour to climb up the Lancs cycleway to Bacup Rd and then rode down to the traffic lights on the A646 and climbed to the traffic lights on Manchester Road, turned round and went home for a short break,

Loop 3: I was feeling lazy and sorely tempted to stay in with the heating on but I wanted to bag that 100 km for the day so I headed back out onto the A646 to Mytholmroyd. I climbed into a headwind through Cragg Vale, turned left at Syke Gate and then got a tailwind which I didn't really need up there! I descended back to 'royd via Steep Ln, and Scout Rd. I completed the metric century up and down the A646.

So ... target 1 has been completed! I have now ridden 4,052 miles of this year's 4,015 mile target - 101% done, with more than 3 weeks left before the NY.

Target 2 has also been achieved. I have ridden metric centuries every month, and doubled up a few times. I also sneaked a 200+ km ride in

I just need to get a 50+ km ride in now to complete my final distance challenge for the year. I am supposed to be doing such a ride with @Littgull next Friday, subject to acceptable weather conditions. (We have a backup option the following Monday if bad weather stops play on the Friday.)

It has been quite a good year for my cycling. I can still feel the residual damage from my clotting problems of 2012/2013 but I have got back to a level of fitness that is enjoyable.

I'll get a few more rides in to finish 2015, take a week or so off the bike for the festering season, and then try to make a good start to 2016. :smile:

In Search of Tailwinds

(No photos today - gloomy conditions, and a bit chilly, so I didn't feel like stopping for photo opportunities!)

The year is slowly drawing to a close and I had 3 distance targets left to complete. (I had speed goals too, but I haven't managed to get much quicker this year. Maybe next year I will make progress on that?)

Target 1: Average 11 miles a day in 2015, a 10% increase on 2014's target which I fell 1% short of due to an illness at the end of the year which stopped me doing my planned final 31 mile ride.

Target 2: Do at least one ride every month of 100+ kms.

Target 3: As well as the 100 km rides, do at least one ride of 50 kms/miles every month.

I didn't fancy doing a metric century in wet conditions and I didn't want to wait until nearer Christmas in case of the kind of problems that had last year, so when I saw that today was going to be dry here, I decided to put up with strong, blustery winds and get the ride done.

I did the ride solo since my usual riding partners were busy. I tried various loops to seek out helpful tailwinds but the wind hindered me far more than it helped. In the end I did 3 loops (with a few extra kms on the A646 to make the distance up to the full metric century).

Loop 1: Todmorden, Littleborough, Blackstone Edge, Cragg Vale, Mytholmroyd, Hebden Bridge, Tod. I had a nagging headwind on the A646, and I also had a headwind on the A6033 to Littleborough which is near enough at right angles to the A646! It is a curious feature of the local topography - winds can get funnelled down the valleys by the surrounding hills so local winds can go in all sorts of directions even if the county in general is being blasted by e.g. a south-westerly. I experienced a cross/headwind on the first half of the climb to Blackstone Edge, but finally managed to pick up a tailwind higher up where the road bends round. A slower descent than usual due to swirling crosswinds, and then a slog along the valley through Hebden Bridge back to Todmorden. The wind put me off doing loop 1 again so I came up with a loop 2 instead ...

Loop 2: A646 towards Burnley. I expected a tailwind but I didn't get it! The road climbs gently up that valley and it would have been nice to have the help of the wind, but it had other ideas ... I did a short detour to climb up the Lancs cycleway to Bacup Rd and then rode down to the traffic lights on the A646 and climbed to the traffic lights on Manchester Road, turned round and went home for a short break,

Loop 3: I was feeling lazy and sorely tempted to stay in with the heating on but I wanted to bag that 100 km for the day so I headed back out onto the A646 to Mytholmroyd. I climbed into a headwind through Cragg Vale, turned left at Syke Gate and then got a tailwind which I didn't really need up there! I descended back to 'royd via Steep Ln, and Scout Rd. I completed the metric century up and down the A646.

So ... target 1 has been completed! I have now ridden 4,052 miles of this year's 4,015 mile target - 101% done, with more than 3 weeks left before the NY.

Target 2 has also been achieved. I have ridden metric centuries every month, and doubled up a few times. I also sneaked a 200+ km ride in

I just need to get a 50+ km ride in now to complete my final distance challenge for the year. I am supposed to be doing such a ride with @Littgull next Friday, subject to acceptable weather conditions. (We have a backup option the following Monday if bad weather stops play on the Friday.)

It has been quite a good year for my cycling. I can still feel the residual damage from my clotting problems of 2012/2013 but I have got back to a level of fitness that is enjoyable.

I'll get a few more rides in to finish 2015, take a week or so off the bike for the festering season, and then try to make a good start to 2016. :smile:

Impressive performance Colin and stats for the year. It's been a really windy year too - and is tonight!

Setting stretching but achieveable targets can be quite motivational. That approach has certainly worked for you. Improved fitness, better health, weight loss maintained have all been factors in an enjoyable year's cycling for you.

I've not managed your annual mileage this year. I've clocked around 2,800 this year. But some good hilly rides all the same - that's the beauty of living in the Pennines.My main problem has been lack of time. Frustrating really, as I became 'semi retired' in April and was supposed to be working only 3 days a week but it hasn't quite turned out that way. An elongated temporary blip I keep telling myself. The main thing is I'm still massively enjoying my cycling and also have maintained a good level of fitness. Long may it continue for both of us.

Tin Pot

Guru
98.7km
4hrs 11min

Morning ride was great, fast and good weather. I'll stop to take pics some day as there are a couple of good views around Cobham.

Evening ride I was tired but not enough to slow me down, home at 20:04, washed, changed, fed and in pub with pint in hand 20:28 :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've not managed your annual mileage this year. I've clocked around 2,800 this year. But some good hilly rides all the same - that's the beauty of living in the Pennines.My main problem has been lack of time. Frustrating really, as I became 'semi retired' in April and was supposed to be working only 3 days a week but it hasn't quite turned out that way. An elongated temporary blip I keep telling myself. The main thing is I'm still massively enjoying my cycling and also have maintained a good level of fitness. Long may it continue for both of us.
As you become more fully-retired I am sure that you will start riding further!

The wind is really howling here today and it is very wet but it looks like things will settle down a bit in time for our next ride together.

hedder2212

I thought i wasnt going to get a ride in at all today and was moody because of it.
Then i got a phone call "can you pop over with a few tools and have a go at fixing the lights on my bike for me" which made me instantly happy. I usually take the motorbike for this sort of job but decided to throw the panniers on the bike and haul my tools there....
A lovely ten miles in the wind and rain on my way there. Still had a huge smile on my face. Got to work and fixed the lights on customers Triumph Bonneville and then got treated to a lovely cup of tea and a bacon sandwich. Ten miles home, the wind and the rain had stopped and The sun decided to show its face for the last three miles of the ride which was all downhill :becool:^_^
Finished up a scooter service, Took it for a test ride. Now i can sit in my man cave cleaning my bike all night whilst watching a documentary about two guys walking to the south pole and back ^_^

Tempted to go for a cheeky ride down the canal at around midnight to test out my new lights and get them properly adjusted :biggrin:

hedder2212

Just a quick five miler down the canal into town to pick up some wine gums and some KitKat chunkies (just a excuse to get out on the bike) And then five miles back
Stopped in Walsall Arboretum to take these. Lights worked as i expected. Fairly good for the price and for will more than do what i want them to do.
12341501_1527415420906951_5293575169870534839_n.jpg

The light to the left is just as bright as the one to the right, i just took this pic at a angle so doesnt look like it.
12316258_1527415440906949_2984963519617573752_n.jpg

There are actually two rear lights here, just the bottom one is on a slow flash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom