Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
https://www.strava.com/activities/453312639

Summer gear on me, winter gear on bike:wacko:, then back for this.

image.jpeg

A Stein of Krombacher:bicycle:

:thumbsup:

It's a good job I got out earlier.

Look at this.

image.jpeg

It's not terribly clear, but a months worth of rain just fell in about 20 seconds.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23692

Yesterdays outing was a 'recovery' ride following the work's Christmas do the previous day. The intension was only to go as far as Currock bridge in order to post a couple of notices at each end (legal worky stuff), but once that was out the way I decided to do a bit further.

From Currock bridge it was along the Caldew Cycle Way to Bitt's Pak and the Sheepmount to view the flood damage (aka hooooge hole) now that the water level have dropped.

Devonshire Walk car park was a sad site Two weeks ago it was underwater and normally at this time of year it should be packed with Christmas shoppers, but at the mo it's become a dumping ground for water damaged stuff from local houses

Panorama1_zpsqauazhrc.jpg

Those piles are as deep as they are wide.

Anyhoo, retracing my route back along the Cycleway, I then went up as far a Dalton and back before returning home. There a fair bit of mess along there with washed up trees/branches and chucks of bank missing

16 and a tad miles

7356055.png

gavgav

Legendary Member
Woke up this morning hoping the weather would be kind, to allow me to get my December qualifying ride in, to complete the Half Century a Month Challenge. The forecast looked pretty good, other than a light shower or 2 about, but strong winds. This was my 1st proper ride for over a month and so I picked a flattish route.

It was lovely and sunny when I set off, with the wind not too bad and mainly behind me for the 1st 20 miles or so. Headed out through the estate and down the old railway track bed, where I hit a squirrel!! It was only a glancing blow with my foot, but still a bit scary :eek:!

I followed the cycle paths up to Harlescott and along the old canal to Uffington and the climb to Upton Magna. Saw load of cylists about, including a few groups who I would see later on my ride as well, obviously on similar loops to me. There was a nice downhill section to Withington and then the wet, muddy and sandy section through Isombridge, where I came across the hunt:evil:. Could have done with @Goonerobes with me to man the trenches, but it sufficed that I had made them get all the dogs out of the road onto the bank, so I could get through. Arrived in Longdon on Tern and then turned towards Rodington and my 1st section with a headwind, which was strong and gusty and made it a slog all the way up to Roden, where the roads were pretty flooded. Turned off the main road towards Poynton and Bings Heath, where I ran into the rain, and it was proper heavy stuff. The wind had picked up as well and so I stopped to put on full waterproof's, which I was glad I did as after turning onto the road up Ebury Hill it got even heavier and was a thoroughly unpleasant 5 miles climbing back to Upton Magna, against the wind and driving rain.

Thankfully it stopped when I got to Upton Magna and so it was just the wind to battle against, back to Uffington and re-tracing my steps along the canal path to Sundorne Road. I eventually got out onto the road, waiting a good 5 minutes for the hoardes of cars carrying Christmas shoppers to pass by and headed up Sundorne Road, before dropping back down the cycle paths, with the horrid heavy rain starting again and carrying on all the way home.

There were a few moments where I was asking myself "what on earth am I doing out in these conditions?" but made it home having done 33.4 miles and completed the Half Century a Month Challenge, with what was the slowest and hardest qualifying ride of the lot!. ^_^:hyper:

I also passed the 1500 mile mark for riding in 2015.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Woke up this morning hoping the weather would be kind, to allow me to get my December qualifying ride in, to complete the Half Century a Month Challenge. The forecast looked pretty good, other than a light shower or 2 about, but strong winds. This was my 1st proper ride for over a month and so I picked a flattish route.

It was lovely and sunny when I set off, with the wind not too bad and mainly behind me for the 1st 20 miles or so. Headed out through the estate and down the old railway track bed, where I hit a squirrel!! It was only a glancing blow with my foot, but still a bit scary :eek:!

I followed the cycle paths up to Harlescott and along the old canal to Uffington and the climb to Upton Magna. Saw load of cylists about, including a few groups who I would see later on my ride as well, obviously on similar loops to me. There was a nice downhill section to Withington and then the wet, muddy and sandy section through Isombridge, where I came across the hunt:evil:. Could have done with @Goonerobes with me to man the trenches, but it sufficed that I had made them get all the dogs out of the road onto the bank, so I could get through. Arrived in Longdon on Tern and then turned towards Rodington and my 1st section with a headwind, which was strong and gusty and made it a slog all the way up to Roden, where the roads were pretty flooded. Turned off the main road towards Poynton and Bings Heath, where I ran into the rain, and it was proper heavy stuff. The wind had picked up as well and so I stopped to put on full waterproof's, which I was glad I did as after turning onto the road up Ebury Hill it got even heavier and was a thoroughly unpleasant 5 miles climbing back to Upton Magna, against the wind and driving rain.

Thankfully it stopped when I got to Upton Magna and so it was just the wind to battle against, back to Uffington and re-tracing my steps along the canal path to Sundorne Road. I eventually got out onto the road, waiting a good 5 minutes for the hoardes of cars carrying Christmas shoppers to pass by and headed up Sundorne Road, before dropping back down the cycle paths, with the horrid heavy rain starting again and carrying on all the way home.

There were a few moments where I was asking myself "what on earth am I doing out in these conditions?" but made it home having done 33.4 miles and completed the Half Century a Month Challenge, with what was the slowest and hardest qualifying ride of the lot!. ^_^:hyper:

I also passed the 1500 mile mark for riding in 2015.
Very good! :bravo: I was a bit worried you wouldn't have the time to get that last qualifying ride in.

D

Deleted member 1258

Willoughby the destination, 54 miles the journey. A fresh bright breezy day, the wind combined with the fact that this was my first Sunday ride in a month made for a slow hard morning in the saddle. Out through Baginton, Long Itchington broadway and Sawbridge to Willoughby. I was surprised to find the cafe busy, I didn't expect that on the Sunday before Xmas. On the way back I followed the same route I did on the way out, till I got to the Leamington Rd, I turned right onto the Leamington road through Bubinhall, Ryton and Wolston to come into Coventry past the speedway through Binley Woods across the TGI Fridays island and down the Binley Rd, I then turned right for home up Hipswell Highway and Sewall Highway. Dispite it being a hard old morning I enjoyed the ride, I'll have to get stuck in in the new year and get back in the habit of getting out on my bike. This was my last ride of the year and brings my mileage for the year to 4338 miles, not a lot of miles but it aint bad considering the crap cycling year I've had.

Willoughby the destination, 54 miles the journey. A fresh bright breezy day, the wind combined with the fact that this was my first Sunday ride in a month made for a slow hard morning in the saddle. Out through Baginton, Long Itchington broadway and Sawbridge to Willoughby. I was surprised to find the cafe busy, I didn't expect that on the Sunday before Xmas. On the way back I followed the same route I did on the way out, till I got to the Leamington Rd, I turned right onto the Leamington road through Bubinhall, Ryton and Wolston to come into Coventry past the speedway through Binley Woods across the TGI Fridays island and down the Binley Rd, I then turned right for home up Hipswell Highway and Sewall Highway. Dispite it being a hard old morning I enjoyed the ride, I'll have to get stuck in in the new year and get back in the habit of getting out on my bike. This was my last ride of the year and brings my mileage for the year to 4338 miles, not a lot of miles but it aint bad considering the crap cycling year I've had.
It's a shite site more than some of the lightweights I know managed this year.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Once back from my morning ride with Joel, Mrs Dave says "are we going out on the tandem then....?" Who am I to say no?

Out of Hardwick and heading toward Cambridge a bike was coming our way, it was the boy wonder on his return from work, no stops, just "hello" to one another.
We turned down Long Road into a head wind, which is a pity as we'd have got up a fair bit of speed, but never mind. A left turn took us to Barton where we stopped at Burwash Manor, about 8 high end shops that sell... Well, nothing really. I'm sure everyone has a place like that close by. We had a pot of tea and shared a brownie. £7.20!!!

We then skipped over the A603 toward Haslingfield and past the Mullard telescopes
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Coming back through the quiet villages of Great & Little Eversden and Kingston there are a few stern slopes so the granny ring was brought into play, and I didn't get told off once for spinning too fast, I'm learning!

From Toft up to Hardwick we had a tail wind, it was lovely coming back up the hill in the late afternoon sunlight
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

In the picture above there is only 25% of available hands touching handlebars, gung Ho and irresponsible if you ask me!

Just a touch over 16 miles this afternoon which brings my 3 rides over the weekend to 52 miles in total. All 3 were very different, but really enjoyable.

https://www.strava.com/activities/453431823

Three rides from the week-end;

First yesterdays club run in as mild a day since July probably:whistle:;bare legs and would have got the Helium out if it was not all wrapped up.
Ended up being a cracking ride despite the horrible head/cross winds early on;sometimes as the saying goes you eat the bear(bar) and sometimes he eats you,well yesterday the bear would have been gobbled up:laugh:.
Dunno what it was but felt really good all ride even in to the wind;maybe it was just one of those days but I think the new narrower bars and having the Zondas on must have helped.
Nice double espresso and pecan pie at the river tea rooms in St Ives and after a speedy run back to Witchford I decided to do the 100k for this months Strava fondo;

https://www.strava.com/activities/452684121

Got to say one of my best rides of the year.

Today went out with the better half again for a Little port loop,this time a bit longer via Pymoor and Hundred ft bank.
Again glorious temperature wise and the tail wind was nice at the start but was a bit vicious in the face coming back.
Other half pretty tired at the end and another small tumble after trying to get away at a junction:blush:;still a learning curve with the pedals and am trying to get her to use a better technique for stopping and starting so we'll see how that goes.

https://www.strava.com/activities/453473324

And last a quick trip to my Aunt and Uncles to have a chat and deliver some christmas cards;

https://www.strava.com/activities/453473324

A good cycling week-end and will be finished off with a nice amontillado sherry and mince pies tonight^_^:hungry::cheers:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
What's this - two rides in two days? That can't be right, can it? ;)

Out for half eight again and it was much brighter this morning, with the sun making a rare appearance on the horizon.
Given the forecast for "fresh breeze", I tried to figure out a route that wouldn't have me cycling home into a headwind and failed miserably. That would have meant returning from a south westerly direction which is the urban sprawl of Leeds, so not exactly scenic cycling country (and it would all be uphill...).

So, out towards Barwick Road intending to head up to Scholes. I was literally two streets from home when I was almost taken out by a taxi undertaking me while I was positioning to turn right. Anyhow, deep breath and onwards up the hill to Scholes with the wind at my back.
Past the Coronation Tree and out to Barwick, where I passed a small group heading the other way including a lad in an Xmas jumper complete with flashing lights over his cycling gear. :laugh:
Down the hill to Cock Beck, then the Cattle Lane climb to Aberford. Left at the junction and up towards Bramham. Although this is predominantly uphill, the wind behind me make it easy and then it was round the roundabout and onto Paradise Way for the run to Bramham. Passed two lads on MTBs, before taking a right across the top of the village and out onto Toulston Lane.
Although I had a crosswind here it is largely sheltered by the hedges so I was still making rapid progress and soon arrived at the right turn onto Garnet Lane (the first 11 miles had whizzed by at an average of 16.9mph, which must be one of my fastest rides given the amount of uphill sections).
Over the crest of the hill and the headwind made its presence felt. "Golly Gumdrops", as the Earl of Grantham might say.:eek:
Across the A659, and down to Moor Lane, over the A64 bridge and then slowed for two horses on the bend. The riders waved me through so it was onwards for the downhill run to Stutton.
I plunged down Fanny Lane (first time in a while) into the village and then out towards the A162. Several roads had been closed here during the week due to flooding and although the signs were still up, the way was clear. Onto the A162 and up the hill towards Towton, initially sheltered from the wind by the hill, but not for long.
Slowed to a crawl until I reached the comparative shelter of the village, then right again towards the battlefield site.
This was hard work now and I ground out the miles to the Saxton turning, where even the downhill run into the village was slow.
Out of the village on Coldhill Lane, really battling the headwind now and stopped for a breather and some sustenance at Linda's bench, overlooking the flat farm land:
IMG_20151220_094538824.jpg
IMG_20151220_095344863.jpg

As I was doing this I was passed by a bloke on a hybrid who was also struggling against Mother Nature.
Anyhow, back on the bike and into the wind. Caught up with the guy on Copley Lane and whizzed past with a cheery "Hello!" and past Lotherton Hall and the run down to Aberford, although at least the wind was now blowing across me rather than into my face.
I has half planned to do another 50km ride today, but that would have meant finding extra distance between Aberford and home and it was getting to the point where it was bordering on not being fun any more...
Anyhow, back along Cattle Lane to Barwick, again slowed by the breeze, then towards Scholes where I was taking a royal buffeting from the wind so slowed right down, only to be passed ridiculously closely by an Irish registered 4x4.
Down Leeds Road, totally abandoning any lingering plans to find the extra 5 miles I'd need for a metric half, and up to home.

So, 26.7 miles in 1hr 54m at an average of 14.0mph. That does push me through 100 miles for the month, so it's not too bad considering and at least I got out.:okay:
There were a lot of cyclists out today, both solo and group rides, probably the most I've seen since early October which has to be a good thing doesn't it?

20122015.jpg

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Club ride number 31 of the year for me, today. Five of us went on the "relaxed" ride (what a misnoma that was). Took on all the biggest and worst hills the Forest of Dean has to offer. I definitely came fifth .... but at least got up every hill without putting a foot down. 45.2 miles in my shorts in mostly sunny weather on the 20th December. Two of us took on the bacon baps at the Pedal-a-Bike-Away Centre at Cannop, and I narrowly avoided leaving it at the roadside in the ensuing climb to Speech House. Got home and had a long, hot bath, then fell asleep and woke to find both of my cats cuddled up tight to me, purring like little engines. A nice day.
Happy Christmas to all of you.
Cheers, Donger.

gavgav

Legendary Member
[QUOTE="gavgav, post: 4064987, member: 2189 .... I hit a squirrel!! It was only a glancing blow with my foot, but still a bit scary :eek:!....
THis begs two questions ...
(1) Was the squirrel OK? and
(2) Did you impart any spin?
Squirrel had run away and so must have been fine!! I think he may have spun a bit :laugh:

Last edited:

G3CWI

Veteran
Three punctures. Went into the garage to prep the bike and found the front tyre flat. Replaced the tube and found it flat again 20 mins later. Sorted it out and did the ride. Just as I turned up our drive to put the bike away I realised that the back tyre had punctured. Annoying - but as they were all at home, surprisingly convenient.

...oh and a lovely sunny day here too.

47.4 miles out doing a circuit toward Wymeswold. For the first time (on the flat at least), the new Px felt right. After Wymeswold, I turned through to East Leake and then Long Lane. Headed up to Bramcote and Elvaston accompanied by light rain. Climbing up through Donnington was tricky as I started to tire and then it rained! Soaked for the last ten miles home but nowhere to hide. Aborted the last few miles to get the half century due to the wet. Still, it's a good first step to my 200 miles over Xmas!

Katherine

Guru
The Jolly Christmas Postman Rides Again. Annual Christmas card delivery ride around Manchester, which I extended from last year, 32 miles on a warm, windy and sunny day. Stops at Chorlton, Stretford, Eccles, around Worsley, Ellenbrook, Little Hulton and Walkden. It was lovely going through Old Trafford and Salford Quays.

IMG_20151220_130851177.jpg
IMG_20151220_125804579_HDR.jpg

Top Bottom