Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Myself and the boy wonder went out this morning into glorious sunshine. The first part of the route was the last part of yesterday's route. After Barton we carried on up and over Chapel Hill, into Barrington and then on to Orwell. There is a stretch of road out of the village to the A603 that was knackered, pock marked and holey, but they fixed it. Ok, when I say fixed it they put a skim of tar and stones down without filling in the holes. It makes you proud! The same poor road surface, but warmer as you're an inch closer to the sun!
On down the A603 and across the roundabout to a quieter road before turning right and up the bad ass Croydon hill, 10% of pure Cambridgeshire mountain. That's right folks, a mountain, in Cambridgeshire!
Past the big posh house and then a right turn signed for the Gransdens. Last time I used this stretch of down and up road there were a few big wheel bending pot holes, so I duly warned Thomas. In the month since I'd been there they've resurfaced it! The council must have sold the family silver!
image.jpeg

This is us approaching the junction at the top of the dip. This is the same junction that I posted the photo of the sign that had been knocked down the other week, that's been fixed too....:wacko:

Back through The Gransdens where an old granny looked like she'd seen me was about to cross. She then looked the other way at a car turning, she then stepped out toward me.... "Look out!" I yelled.... "Yes, hello dear" was her cheery reply. I think she was just testing my reactions.

image.jpeg

I took this pic coming up the resurfaced road. I'd always thought the sun shone out of my arse, turns out it's coming out of my cheek!

30 odd miles today, it felt nice!

https://www.strava.com/activities/458576930

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Very Short Hit a bunch of wet leaves at the bottom of a steep hill dropped the bike scraped my chin and elbow and blew the back tyre. i love winter cycling

Me no like! Hope you're ok!

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Lovely family outing today. The sun was shining and the wind was light so Mrs 26, Miss 26 #2 and I headed for familiar lanes to round the southern end of the Hills. There was plenty of water in the ford at Clencher's Mill and the leat was full too. It's been cleared recently and I wonder if a turbine will be used at some stage. We shall see.

Our favoured cafe was closed for repairs/decorating so we took to Mrs Muffin's. All good. The other cafe by the Market House was chock full so we were pleased to find a table. We took the standard run back over the railway tunnel and on to Old Colwall with just the climb up and over the Wyche before we could give our steeds a rest. Plenty of holiday makers were about up on the Hills. Best day's weather for ages and folks weren't letting it slide.

Old jon

Guru
Blue sky ! Sunshine !! And a few clouds to remind me its December. Destination Wetherby this morning, I had a feeling that higher up Wharfedale might still be a bit wet. Usual route, check that Holbeck is still there, over Crown Point Bridge and along the side of the bus station. Regent Street, Roseville Road, Roundhay Road to the Oakwood Clock, then the grim grind up Boot Hill. Left at the pub at the top to head for Shadwell, then Slaid Hill, turning right for Wike

followed by East Keswick and Collingham, where I intended to turn left for Linton, but the road was closed. A 58 to Wetherby, where this had happened :-

IMG_1229.jpg

The house on the right is sort of next but one to the river bridge. I cannot imagine the river getting high enough to have caused this one, might have been heavy rain I suppose.

Anyway, a sandwich by the town hall, in the sunshine, and a gentle ride back on the A 58. 31.3 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/458711739

Just a short one today. What a nightmare. 2 punctures within 10 miles, one on the front, one on the back. The Conti 4000SII's roll and grip like nothing else I've ridden on, unfortunately they've proven themselves to be as puncture resistant as toothpaste. I've never seen tiny bits of glass do that much damage to the tyre either:eek:. So they get a:thumbsdown: on resilience too. It didn't help that my superb little mini track pump is a screw fit, I could get 100 psi into the tyres, with no big effort, but the only spare tubes I had were (yes, you guessed it) Continental 2 part screw valve types. Fortunately I had a gas inflator and some CO2 canisters, or I'd have been walking home.

Top Bottom