Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
Just done 13 miles up through Barnet to the Duke of York pub (Potters Bar) and back. Not particularly noteworthy I hear you say.......this ride was special. It was the first time Mrs R has been able to ride this year following three major operations and a period of ill health. We were both on our Bromptons and this was the best ride of 2015 for me.

View attachment 114092
Well done Mrs R :smile:
(Like your wee bike too).

Got out for first ride since before Christmas

Was a sunny day (some of the time) but a bit windy
Went past Runnymead to Windsor and through WIndsor, then on through White Waltham towards Henley. A gradual climb up the hill then plunging down towards Henley Bridge. Strava reckoned I reached 46 mph! Could've gone faster but there was a slower car.

Across Henley Bridge then turned right kust after the Markey Place.
Looped round towards Marlow, doing a smaller hill on the way - crossed Marlow Bridge then up Quarry Hill (if memory is correct this is also known as WInter Hill)
This is a bit of a tougher hill but not that bad.
Then down towards Maidenhead through Cookham
Heading across the open expanse of Dorney Common the wind was really building up, passed a cyclist who appeared to be suffereing from the wind, gave him some respite for a while then we got talking, he had a new carbon frame bike (Can't remember the make) and this was it's first outing.
Left hime behind at Eton and went over Eton Bridge to Windsor and Back home

Latter part of the ride the wind was a headwind and increasing.

CHecking the Strava stats, quite a few PRs on the early part of the ride (tailwind I suppose)
There were lots of cyclist about most gave a wave or a greeting.

52.7 miles @ 15.8 mph
I actually have not looked at the scales since christmas but this might have burnt off last night's lovely italian dinner - polenta chips, saltimbocca, and lemon ice cream with limoncello. Will need more rides to burn off further meals

https://www.strava.com/activities/457979865/

Diggs

Veteran
Little bit better prepared today although did forget to take a bidon (still weight savings eh?) Slightly nicer weather, bit of blue sky and shorts on!
28decMill2.jpg

28decwesthang.jpg

Billy Wizz

Über Member
Sort of 'I wonder if this will work?' this morning. So many closed roads in and around Leeds yesterday, I pointed the bike south but was quite prepared to change my route, and no need, 34.2 miles and never a road underwater. Puddles aye, all avoidable.
Start with the Holbeck bit, the beck itself was back to a more usual level. I looked left along Meadow Lane from the end of Great Wilson Street, the metre deep water that was there yesterday had gone. Along to Thwaite Gate and under the railway bridge which is normally half covered in water, very little today. The breeze was a few degrees more southerly this morning, which made the slog up to John o' Gaunt's a little less fun. Oulton, short way to Woodlesford passing the station, Swillington, Garforth, the cliff a bit steeper today, and Sherburn in Elmet, from where I took this road:-

When I was a motorcyclist this road did increase grin factor, it is still ( different ) fun on a bike. A bit further on the road passes the gates of Lotherton Hall, from where I followed my well worn route back home. A bit breezy, single figure temperatures and the odd glimpse of blue sky. Pretty good.

Thats why i gave up the motorbikes the grin factor started to be a grimace,

Nice bit of road.

Just a short 30 miles into Glasgow and back. Went in via London Road so had a good tailwind therefore a few Strava PRs. Came back via the Clyde walkway which was a bit debris strewn. Bike was in a bit of state when I got home so it got a well deserved clean and lube. Noticed my front shifter cable is frayed therefore I'll need to buy a new one tomorrow and replace.

Just done 13 miles up through Barnet to the Duke of York pub (Potters Bar) and back. Not particularly noteworthy I hear you say.......this ride was special. It was the first time Mrs R has been able to ride this year following three major operations and a period of ill health. We were both on our Bromptons and this was the best ride of 2015 for me.

View attachment 114092

That's the spirit. Keep it up:okay:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Third day in a row out on the road bike. The hybrid isn't talking to me at the moment...:rolleyes:

Anyhow for a change I thought I'd do a variation on a regular loop, by doing it in the opposite direction. First though, I checked the road closures and it looked like I'd be OK with this route (more on that later...).
So, warmed up on the local roads, then out on Barwick Road and up the hill to Scholes. Legs felt like lead (too much festive feasting?)and the "light breeze" that the forecast had suggested would be at my back to start with was actually quite a pronounced cross wind, which made it interesting.
Anyhow, through Scholes and on to Barwick, still making heavy weather of it. Through the village and out towards Aberford, enjoying every last inch of the Cattle Hill climb ;)
As the road dropped down before the final climb into Aberford, I was passed by a couple of guys in head to toe Castelli and was shocked to get a cheery 'hello'! :whistle:
Anyhow, I nearly turned for home at this point as I really wasn't enjoying it, but decided to push on to Lotherton Hall and see how that went.
Under the A1(M) and up the hill and by the top I seemed to have gained my second wind and decided to carry on.
Onto Copley Lane (some massive water filled craters on here, so watch out if you head out this way) before picking up the short sharp climb onto Cold Hill Lane for the run into Saxton. Under the crackling electricity cables and through the village and straight up the hill to rejoin the B1217 for the run down to Towton.
The view from here was astounding - looking west to the plain where the Wharf flows into the Ouse was just one enormous lake. It had been on the news that morning that the flooded river was over a mile wide and I can quite believe it.
Joined the A162 and passed the turning for Ulleskelf which was closed 'due to flooding' :stop: (good job I hadn't added the loop via Barkston Ash, Church Fenton and Ulleskelf on then!), before the downhill run, where I intended to take the left into Stutton, only to find that was also closed due to flooding :stop:
So carried on the A162 towards Tadcaster and the flood waters were right up to the main road at this point, making me grateful that the road is raised a few feet above the level of the surrounding fields. Past the John Smiths Brewery, with flood water still up to the road, before taking a left to cut back onto the A659 and then towards Bramham.
Fairly quick run to Bramham, where I decided to take the back road to Clifford over the "windmill" hill that had caused me such pain previously. I've got to say it's a darn sight better going down that hill than going up...:whistle:
Into Clifford, then looped back round to Bramham, up Town Hill and round the top of the village, before heading back towards Thorner.
I half suspected that I might have the wind against me again here, but thought I'd be sheltered from the worst of it by the tall hedgerows. This was only partly true and combined with a lot of climbing and tired legs made the section from Bramham, though Thorner and up to Skeltons Lane slow and hard work.
Note to self: Don't put sections with lots of climbing and a headwind at the back end of a ride.:rolleyes:
Local roads to home and a much needed brew.

Numbers for the day: 28.37 miles in 2hrs 6 mins exactly at an average of 13.5mph with 1288ft climbed.
Under different circumstances I'd have pushed on for the extra 3 miles to make it a metric half, but I was knackered and really couldn't be bothered. It's about getting out on the bike and enjoying the ride - if you don't enjoy it what's the point?
Back at work tomorrow and Wednesday looks like a great day for cleaning the bike weather wise so a couple of days out of the saddle might be just the ticket.
Sorry, no pics today. :sad:
28122015.jpg

:bicycle:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Hurrah, it wasn't quite so grey today and no rain and little wind meant time to work off some of the Christmas excess. Just time this afternoon to take in the Ashleworth loop with added Woolridge. The ride south over the common revealed that there was indeed enough of a wind to make it a workout. Quite a few riders were out and about today. Usually in pairs it seemed. The Leadon was quite swollen which alerted me to the possibility of floods in the main valley. The climb to Woolridge revealed that there is a bit of flooding but nothing which should be an issue. Indeed the water was getting up towards the tarmac at the lowest point on the Hams but plenty of scope for more water really. I now had the assistance of that wind although it was dropping as evening began to descend. Lovely and peaceful it was just pootling along. My lights went on for the final few miles as some traffic is always about on these last bits of road. Not much wildlife today apart from a Raven on the Hams and a small field with unseasonal Primroses in flower. Seems the mild winter so far has accelerated blooms as both narcissus and daffodils are already brightening up these grey days.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
A nice 80 miler today, mostly in bright sunshine with a little nip in the air. Stopped at the Weatherspoons pub in Hertford for a bite to eat, We met the jobsworth manager today, She got all uptight about leaving the bikes in the foya, They were well out of the way not obstructing any fire escape not in anyones way, Some people, Anyway had a bite to eat and finished the ride, Lovely day with three mates and my better half.:okay:
https://www.strava.com/activities/458098720

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly

View attachment 114092
Great stuff Rocky. Well done to Mrs R - back in the saddle!!

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Until today I hadn't done a "fun" ride since 1st November. Of course, in that time I've been racking up the commuting miles which, as you all know, is always a pleasure and never a chore... :blink:

So with festivities over for the time being I did a short Twixtmas Trip along the local cycle route and back again. Turns out lots of people had the same idea. There were dog walkers, parents with kids on their new bikes, dog walkers, horse riders, and did I mention dog walkers?

But hey, the 15 and a half miles blew the Crimbo cobwebs away and, barring a stroke of luck, will draw a line under my 2015 cycling odyssey.

Here's to 2016 when we can do it all over again! :cheers:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.

View attachment 114092
Nice one and the pub is on top a a hill, Have had a few beers in there myself, Here's to a good 2016:cheers:

I drove back from Ellesmere Port this morning down the M56, M6, A50, M1 and A14. I swear every flyover had at least one happy cyclist riding across in the sunshine...
Once home Thomas and I had a quick bite to eat before going out just gone 2pm.
Having been in the car all day and not looking at any weather forecast I was unaware of there being any wind, that's until I got round the corner from my house! We went through the villages of Toft, Kingston and the Eversdens before hopping over the A603 to take in Hartlon and Haslingfield. This is where we lost the headwind. We then had that pleasurable feeling of bowling along fast, with little effort.
Back over the 603 at Barton and along to Comberton. The hill on long road is a draining slog for 3/4 of a mile before it levels out a bit before dropping down into a big dip, then rising in a long drudge of a hill. I had a strava PB on the first half, I also had a tail wind too...:whistle: They all count!

View attachment 114122

In the photo we are approaching the second summit of Long Road.

Just over 15 blowy miles. Would have been nicer to do more, but I'm just glad I escaped the car!

https://www.strava.com/activities/458024764/segments/11015000405

That long road is a bit of a slog isn't it?

Two rides today;

First a nice 30k with the better half,and her best average so far:bravo:;

https://www.strava.com/activities/458063741

And a solo 50k,half in a strong headwind(although not as bad as Christmas eve and boxing day)the other a lovely tail wind;nice and sunny though but needed a nice mars bar and coke at the end.

https://www.strava.com/activities/458063766

170k now needed for the 10k year plus 220 for the Rapha challenge and 240 for the MTS;all still doable with the next few days looking good weather wise;dunno if the body or mind will make it though:wacko:.

Top Bottom