Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Yay..no wind...sadly its wet n murky.
Just hybrid riding, down to Halfords to get a cheap frame pump. Mizzly outbound, slowly drying, dryish homebound becoming mizzly again so quite damp at both ends.
11 miles, 2 rides in 2 days, no big deal but I'm winding myself up to make 2016 a damn sight better than 2013/14/15.
I realised why yesterdays ride was hard, saddle too low. I got going today and thought...this isn't right...quick adjust, ooh thats better.

U

User33236

Today was a social ride out to Tatton Park with Salford CC. Clocked up another 73km towards by 2015 tally.

Pleasant ride with not to much in the way of standing water but some extra debris causing two punctures within the group. On the whole drivers were very well behaved but there was one who must have got a new horn for Christmas and wanted to shout about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

sanddancer

Decided to make the most of the dry weather and burn some xmas stuffing off before the rains return.
Only 15.2 mile but every little helps :biggrin:

20151227_160557.jpg

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The forecast for today was good (but we all know about weather forecasts and good intentions don't we?), so I was pleasantly surprised to get up and find it was not only dry, but sunny and almost breeze free!
Given the floods, my first job was to check which roads were open before setting off.
A58 at Collingham and Linton Road at, well, Linton both closed - right, well that rules that corner out.
A61 closed at Pool Bank, right, I won't go to Otley as it's likely all the bottom road down to Pool will be affected.
Roads shut at Tadcaster - OK, not there either.
So, off up Coal Rd (traffic lights still not detecting bikes...) and out on Skeltons Lane towards Thorner. By heck it was chilly, but it was an absolutely glorious winters day.
Had to watch out for standing water at the road edge (and more) plus run off / debris in the road all the way round today, but with one exception car drivers were all quite sensible, either giving plenty of room, or hanging back until I was clear.
Down the hill into Thorner, where the ford was as full as I've ever seen it. Fortunately I didn't need to ride through it!
Cycling through the village there was the lovely smell of woodsmoke in the air and the church bells were ringing. Lovely.
Stuck to the main road out to Bramham since Collingham was a no-go, rather than dicing with unclassified country lanes, given the previous problems with mud and the like. Through the dip at Wothersome, a bit slower than usual given the water in the road, then laboured up the other side and the downhill run to Bramham.
Left onto West Woods Road and I noticed that my handlebars weren't quite straight any more. Hmmmm...stopped and tightened them up and got on my way.
Just before Wattle Syke roundabout the road was flooded out to the white line, so I avoided that and then got onto the cycle path for the fast run down into Wetherby.
Right at the roundabout and over the River Wharf, which was even higher than it had been a few weeks ago - put it this way, you wouldn't have been walking on the riverside path today.
Right again at the next roundabout and over the A1(M) for the run out towards Walton, before taking another right down to Thorp Arch village. There was a lot of standing water here and the road surface was badly broken up. So naturally this was the only place a driver simply had to force his way past me as I maneuvered through it...:angry:
Still in one piece it was down the hill and back over the Wharf which was as high as I've ever seen it, so i stopped for a couple of photos:
IMG_20151227_094632038.jpg

Excuse the thumb :laugh:
IMG_20151227_094354417.jpg
IMG_20151227_094414030.jpg

Talking to a local, I was told that the river had actually dropped a couple of feet from it's peak.
Anyhow, back in the saddle and up to Boston Spa, left towards Tadcaster and in the dip there had clearly been a lot of floodwater overnight. The road was covered in debris and the fields were still under water. Up the other side and right again into bar lane, for the run down to Clifford. Just before the village the road was covered in flood water and I couldn't tell how deep it was. Two options. carefully pick my way through, or retrace my steps up the hill and back around to Boston Spa...
Fortunately it was only 3 or 4 inches deep and I was soon out the other side. :okay:
Left onto Windmill Lane and up the climb :heat: (new PB :whistle: ), then across the top of Bramham and onto NCN66 towards Aberford.
There were a lot of female runners on there today - I don't think it was an official event, but anyway I moved back onto the road to leave them to it and continued down Paradise Way to Bramham Crossroads, then the quick descent into Aberford.
Left onto Cattle Lane toward Barwick. Although there was still standing water in the fields the floods had receded a lot since yesterday. Through Barwick and on to Scholes, then on to home, where I noticed the handlebars were slightly out of line again....hmmmmm!

On a happy note there were a lot of cyclist out there today, FPK / club roadies in speedy peletons, smaller social groups, solo riders and families on MTBs, which was great to see. :smile:

Todays totals, 27.36 miles in 1hr 56m at an average of 14.1 mph with 1005 ft climbed. Not a bad couple of hours work.

27122015.jpg

Now to warm my feet up...

Postmanhat

Had just found a nice rhythm on the climb up to Alport Heights, when came across this lot, bah
IMG_0122_zpsq98zona9.jpg

Same destination for them so headed for the next turn-off and a new route to Idridgehay. All the roads had been thoroughly farmed so chose the one less travailled, which turned out to be a very hairy descent. Will be a cracking climb though, and it can join up two other hilly routes, so a bit of a brucie in the end!

On to Wirksworth and the 1.6m (7%) climb up to Longcliffe, which I've conked out on before due to it's steep start. Finally accepting that experienced riders might know what they're talking about, I took it very steady to begin, and was actually accelerating at the point where I'd 'rested' before:bicycle:

The mist and rain appeared and was feeling very puddingy so turned early for home. Not before mentally clearing tomorrow's diary to do what I haven't done in about a year - go riding two days in a row! Back though Brassington and past Carsington Water to Derby
IMG_0126_zpsjyz3jnmm.jpg

33 miles/2800ft, takes me to 3500 road bike miles for the year, and the December 5000 metre challenge on Strava. Feeling very tired. All this eating takes it out of you

Globalti

Legendary Member
Cracking ride from the cycle track at Nelson, then from Barrowford up the long hill then down to Roughlee, round to Barley and up the steepish drag to Pendle End. As I was enjoying the climb in no wind and warm sunshine I remembered I'd left my CO2 dispenser thingy at home although I had a cylinder in my saddlepack. Down the long fast decent into Downham where I hung a sharp left to take the mucky gritty and still very wet little back lane to Twiston, where.... you've guessed it.... the back tyre went flat. No worries, I strolled along in the warm sun for a bit until some cyclists from Clitheroe came along and a nice chap named John lent me his dispenser and stayed around for a chinwag about tyres. Soon sorted but a mile further on we came acoss a pal of his who had carried on and had now punctured so I took my leave.

Down to Twiston, along and across the A59, along the parallel old road scattering dog walkers in my slipstream as I was going so well, down through Barrow and into Whalley where scenes of devastation met me; the houses to the left just as you cross the Calder were a mass of busy people, piling wet carpets and furniture up in the street in big mountains. Plenty of Police around and although they were only allowing traffic to come down from the direction of Billington and Langho, they allowed me and a bus to pass and I turned left up Painter Wood and thence home to Wilpshire. 28 miles covered with a few warmup laps of the race track and 1750 feet climbed. Smashing ride.

Diggs

Veteran
There were a couple of splintered group rides scheduled this morning. However after the last two hectic days, I only woke up at 9:15 when Mrs D placed a large mug of coffee on the bedside cabinet. After dog walking, tidying up, a leisurely brunch and various other chores, I suddenly realised it was 2:30 and I needed to get a move on.
Out for just an hour just before the gloom became darkness. Out to the reservoir, round and home
resi run.jpg

Top Bottom