Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sanddancer

Saluki

World class procrastinator
https://www.strava.com/activities/457661955/segments/11004652979

Home to the hospital on the CX tonight. Innertubes fixed. The second fairy visit on Xmas day was not a visit at all but a leaky patch. Fixed that and it's fine now.
There was a total idiot on the road from Felixstowe to the roundabout before the Sausage Shop. He passed me 3 or 4 times, always close passes with passengers jeering out of the window. Obviously it must be 'Suffolk drive like a pillock day'.

I felt a bit heavy and lethargic tonight but I didn't want to go the most direct route as it's so so so dull. I went off down to Trimley St Martin, then to Kirton and across to Bucklesham and down Bucklesham Road to Ipswich. Nice little ride, I felt fat and bleurgh. Once I got there I could see that I had averaged 14.3mph so maybe not so bleugh after all.
13.53 miles in 57 minutes, another 2.5 miles and I have done the December target that I set for myself. I am looking to do 26 miles more this month now, more if possible, it depends on the weather though.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Lovely 30 solo miles so no arguments en route.

Mount for the ride was yet again the R.E.W which is clocking the miles up .

Route was up the mad mile, along to the edge of Sywell then across to Holcot and then turn left to Moulton next was Overstone and follow the park wall along to edge of Northampton and then down to Billing and up in to Grendon followed by a quick descent and run along towards Wishton followed by the climb towards Castle Ashby along and across the estate road down to Yardley Hastings where I watched the sun start to come up.

And then along to Grendon with a run to Earls Barton and Mears Ashby before back down the Mad mile.

Katherine

Guru
Just done 13 miles up through Barnet to the Duke of York pub (Potters Bar) and back. Not particularly noteworthy I hear you say.......this ride was special. It was the first time Mrs R has been able to ride this year following three major operations and a period of ill health. We were both on our Bromptons and this was the best ride of 2015 for me.

View attachment 114092
Fantastic. Well done to Mrs R.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Just done 13 miles up through Barnet to the Duke of York pub (Potters Bar) and back. Not particularly noteworthy I hear you say.......this ride was special. It was the first time Mrs R has been able to ride this year following three major operations and a period of ill health. We were both on our Bromptons and this was the best ride of 2015 for me.

View attachment 114092
:bravo:Hopefully 2016 will be a better year for Mrs Rocky!

Billy Wizz

Über Member
Up and down the Thames path, 14 miles on a gorgeous morning, the builder of this i am convinced did not cyclists.
thamesmead 001.JPG
Not a cloud in the sky.
thamesmead 002.JPG
If i had the time i would have stayed out all day.

gavgav

Guru

View attachment 114092
Great news :thumbsup:

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
@Ron-da-Valli
up the coast from me ;)
Can you tell me please where the cycle path starts - ends these days ie = talacre - rhyl- cowyn bay ??
As I would like a ride along the coast path .
I will be coming from chester way.
Hi Sanddancer. You join the path at Talacre,near the lighthouse, the path starts on the left at the end of the road and is signposted. The path goes through sand dunes, then Presthaven Sands caravan park and Prestatyn Golf club. Turn right on the road in front of Pontins and join the path on the prom. It is straight through to Rhos On Sea. It misses Llandudno from here. Turn left by Rhos Golf club and the signs take you through country lanes to Llandudno Junction. Join the path again at Conwy harbour. It goes all the way down to Bangor.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Couple of hrs mtb at Wakerley woods..
fantastic weather..11°C and no wind,sweated some of the excess off..
its quite clean atm..Not

1451309114158.jpg

13 rider

Guru
Another day off work so a ride arranged both mates were up for it so for the first time in three months we are back together . Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley to Cossington to meeting point .After a quick chat about where and how far a route was agreed .Up Humble lane climb Ratcliffe on the Wreake ,Thrussington ,Hoby to Frisby on the Wreake took a different climb out of the village a bit of a brute a rest was called for at the top my 2 mates hadnt ridden for a month and were feeling it .Across the a607 on a new road around the back of Gaddesby .Cant believe after over a year of riding were still finding new roads .Into Gaddesby then Rearsby ,Thrussington ,Ratcliffe on the Wreake then Sileby were first mate headed home on to Mountsorrel and second mate turned home .leaving me alone realised average speed as 12.2 mph my slowest ride for months the few months mates have missed when I've kept going really showed today as I was pootling but mates were putting in an effort .So picked the pace up for the last couple of miles .Home 35.5 miles done in a time longer than it took me to do 39.1 yesterday .average today 13 mph yesterday 15 mph .Nice riding with company again .nice conditions if a bit windy again . Quite a few riders again passed a guy going up humble lane who I passed last time I climbed it recognised him as he has a mirror on his handle bars said I ve passed you before and he said everyone passes me made me smile.Back to work tomorrow so a new years eve ride required of 38 miles to pass 3500 for the year.

13 rider

Guru

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Dreary day but not raining. Some nasty deep puddles on the lanes and a fair bit of washed out gravel and mud off the farmers fields.

Did a loop including Staveley, Windermere & Kendal - only saw 1 other cyclist which is an incredibly low number.

21.30 miles at 12.69 mph av' and 1371' ascent - felt very slow but I am just chugging through the winter months as it's a real slog come March if you don't. Hopefully I will pick up a bit of speed again when it gets warmer although not the end of the world if I don't.

Probably last ride of 2015 - we'll see.

Safe riding everyone.

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Sort of 'I wonder if this will work?' this morning. So many closed roads in and around Leeds yesterday, I pointed the bike south but was quite prepared to change my route, and no need, 34.2 miles and never a road underwater. Puddles aye, all avoidable.
Start with the Holbeck bit, the beck itself was back to a more usual level. I looked left along Meadow Lane from the end of Great Wilson Street, the metre deep water that was there yesterday had gone. Along to Thwaite Gate and under the railway bridge which is normally half covered in water, very little today. The breeze was a few degrees more southerly this morning, which made the slog up to John o' Gaunt's a little less fun. Oulton, short way to Woodlesford passing the station, Swillington, Garforth, the cliff a bit steeper today, and Sherburn in Elmet, from where I took this road:-

When I was a motorcyclist this road did increase grin factor, it is still ( different ) fun on a bike. A bit further on the road passes the gates of Lotherton Hall, from where I followed my well worn route back home. A bit breezy, single figure temperatures and the odd glimpse of blue sky. Pretty good.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I drove back from Ellesmere Port this morning down the M56, M6, A50, M1 and A14. I swear every flyover had at least one happy cyclist riding across in the sunshine...
Once home Thomas and I had a quick bite to eat before going out just gone 2pm.
Having been in the car all day and not looking at any weather forecast I was unaware of there being any wind, that's until I got round the corner from my house! We went through the villages of Toft, Kingston and the Eversdens before hopping over the A603 to take in Hartlon and Haslingfield. This is where we lost the headwind. We then had that pleasurable feeling of bowling along fast, with little effort.
Back over the 603 at Barton and along to Comberton. The hill on long road is a draining slog for 3/4 of a mile before it levels out a bit before dropping down into a big dip, then rising in a long drudge of a hill. I had a strava PB on the first half, I also had a tail wind too...:whistle: They all count!

image.jpeg

In the photo we are approaching the second summit of Long Road.

Just over 15 blowy miles. Would have been nicer to do more, but I'm just glad I escaped the car!

https://www.strava.com/activities/458024764/segments/11015000405

Top Bottom