Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
About five minutes before I got out onto the road, I decided to see if there was another 50km in my legs for this month. Turned out to be a lovely day to have such an idea. :whistle:
Points of note were the mud on the lanes out near Walderingfield and the high winds that nearly blew me off near Nacton. (I believe I saw Pooh and Piglet.)
I think this stark photo of Felixstowe docks, with a shoot in progress in the fields below, kinds of sums up the day.

3.JPG

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
I haven't posted in this thread before but it is one of my favourite ones on the whole website and I read it most days. Sometimes I leave it a few days so there is more to catch up on. I particularly enjoy the photos from around the country where people go cycling.

I thought I would add my own contribution following my ride yesterday, from Southport down to Seaforth and Crosby shore, and back. My wife was having her hair done in the morning and it was quite bright with a southerly wind, which meant riding south towards Liverpool would mean enjoying a tailwind on the way home.

First photo stop was New Causeway in the countryside by Formby, an exposed stretch of road with no shelter from the wind. In the second (zoomed) shot, you can see a large crane (about a third of the way across on the right of the trees) in the distance; that is at Seaforth or Gladstone Dock and there was a feature in the local news a few weeks ago when it was being towed into the Mersey estuary, now a bit of a landmark.

20160125_103705.jpg

20160125_103711.jpg

After weaving my way through past Hightown and Ince Blundell, I passed through Little Crosby, a quaint village on the outskirts of Liverpool.

20160125_105923.jpg

After taking a left at Little Crosby Church, I made my way to Thornton via Back Lane and Virgins Lane (pictured below)

20160125_110431.jpg

Then I made my way down to the back of Crosby and Waterloo, and over Brook Vale bridge into Seaforth. On the left of the photo below, looking along Sandy Road in Seaforth towards the city, you can see the ongoing construction of Liverpool Football Club's new stand, what an eyesore...booooooooo!!!!

20160125_112011.jpg

Then I went down Cambridge Road towards Crosby shore, with Seaforth Docks to my left. Into Waterloo Road and past the old Christ Church which is now used for various community events, including the Waterloo Beer Festival, which is well worth attending. When I do this ride I always say a silent hello to my good friend Paul who sadly passed away 2 years ago, a short 3 months after attending said beer festival with a few of us, RIP mate, you were one of the best.

After calling in at the Crosby Marina Leisure Centre for a loo stop, I went back up to Marine Crescent / Adelaide Terrace, which if I could choose, would be amongst my top choices of streets to reside in Merseyside, you can keep your Birkdales, Blundellsands and Caldys, I just love the stylish houses from circa 1900, and the superb views across Liverpool Bay towards the Wirral and North Wales.

20160125_113724.jpg

20160125_113858.jpg

Onto Crosby promenade and the views towards the docks, over to the Wirral and North Wales contrast superbly. This is the location of Anthony Gormley's "Another Place" exhibition of iron men looking out to sea. However, the tide was high so only a few iron heads could be seen popping up above the waves yesterday morning.

Although the wind speed was supposed to be around 20 mph according to the BBC website, it wasn't as much of a hindrance as I expected, but when I do this ride and the wind is blowing from the south, it is always noticeably much more quiet when you get onto the Promenade and it changes from being in your face to behind you, as was the case yesterday. Looking north along the Promenade, towards the white building which is the ex-Coastguard Station - an austerity casualty, the waves were splashing, rather than crashing, over the barriers, but it was wet enough to make me keep away from the edge, don't want my bike being ruined by seawater, nor do I want to get soaked! Looking out to sea, you could see the Burbo Bank wind farm, and the odd cargo vessel heading to or from the port of Liverpool.

20160125_114836.jpg

20160125_115133.jpg

Heading north and towards home, I stopped at "the bench by the Alt" (below) just south of where the River Alt emerges into the sea slightly north of the mouth of the Mersey. Looking beyond the Alt is Formby Point the home of much precious wildlife and an expansive beach, and beyond that Formby Pinewoods, an importnat sanctuary for the endangered red squirrel.

20160125_120437.jpg

Remounting after briefly sitting on the bench by the Alt, I headed home via Hightown and through Formby Village, a round trip of just under 30 miles, arriving just in time for lunch and to admire Mrs Roadhump's lovely new hairstyle.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays ride as usual.
Sadly, I couldn't join some friends on their ride yesterday due to w*rk getting in the way.. Boooo.
Never mind, after finishing at 01:00 and being up at 07:15 to walk granddaughter to school (on her 8th birthday) I had already prepped and fettled the bike so I could meet up before they headed out.

Weather.jpg

The ride along the Washlands was a slow grind straight into the wind.. I think I was doing about 6mph, if that at times. (The ride back got me 10th overall on the Strava Tarts chart though (wind assisted) :becool:)

The forecast was nearly correct inasmuch as it was a tad blowy, but incorrect as to when the rain would arrive. Luckily, just as it did, I was wiping the bike down and locking it away.

An enjoyable 16 miles, with a decent coffee and chat before having to be home to go to w*rk.. again.. :sad:

https://www.strava.com/activities/478783435

:smile:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
On my own today. Ah well. I hadn't been around Bredon Hill for a while so that would make for an easy-ish ride. Although the wind wasn't going to allow "easy". So I got straight into the shelter of the lanes on the way south. Hedges are my friends - take that wind. Crossing the Marsh was OK with the wind sort of helping and the shelter was grabbed again at The Rampings. A bit of a battle on the short section of A38 and I was able to turn my back on the wind until the ramp over the flanks of Bredon Hill where a bit of cross flow wasn't too bad.

Around the eastern side was OK but I knew there was a section of route coming up where the wind would attempt to get its revenge. So I took the zig zag option instead so that the wind could only get me for short sections with other sections my friendly hedges helped. Ha - take that wind. Not far now and the old legs were asking what's what. But I told them to "Shut Up" and kept rolling on. The average pace wasn't looking too shabby as I eased off for the cool down loop. Indeed it was sufficiently warm even with the wind for me to have taken a jersey off at mile 6. Take that pesky wind.

Last edited:
I used the horrendous winter weather as an excuse to sort the bikes out today.

I found some FSA bar tape, which I have no recollection of buying:laugh:, but it's very good, so I stripped off the skanky blue tape from the Boardman Roady, and re taped in red.

image.jpeg
The weather is much calmer now, So I cleaned up the Triban, and rode in to work.
My boss collared me as I walked in because he had a puncture on his bike. So I swapped his tube for a new one, and repaired the punctured one.:thumbsup:

https://www.strava.com/activities/479733915

:bicycle:.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Today's proposed 55 mile club run was abandoned after only 8 miles. I wouldn't have gone if i knew the rain was going to be that heavy. I saw those up ahead pass me coming back saying they didn't fancy being drenched for 4 hours, so i joined them and turned back. When i got home i had to peel the sopping layers off. To add to the miserable ride i've got a slow puncture from hitting a water filled pothole.

gavgav

Guru
Thank goodness for the sanity of this thread! The rest of cycle chat is a no go area for me now, to the point where I have removed all threads and I'm just left with this and the half century a month challenge. Good feature that I didn't realise existed :okay:

Top Bottom