Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
After getting a little stressed at loonie-versity this week I got out on the bike with the full agreement of my mentor after mentioning the half century challenge. I had plotted a route on one of the loonie-versity computers yesterday to get in as many of the green spaces and cycle paths as I could.

But first I had to repair the flat rear tyre on my road bike and fit the new SwissStop GHP II blocks to the rear. About an hour later I was ready to throw a leg over the bike and headed out the door.

The first part of the ride was the ugliest, heading for the Mall at Cribbs Causeway. Pretty soon though I was in the lovely green space of Blaise Castle Estate although my road bike was definitely unsuitable to ride up to the folly, but I did pass the old house which is now a museum.

View attachment 117221

After passing the house I had a nice long descent ahead on a path through trees, passing many ponds along the brook. The path was very busy with dog walkers but was also very muddy and I got a huge mud buildup under the crud mudguards. After exiting the park there was a punishing little hill with a hairpin. I knew from here on in I would be climbing quite a bit as I headed for Clifton Downs. The route I had plotted took me on a shared cycle path running behind some Bristol Loonie-versity halls of residence, this path was so steep there were steps at the side for the pedestrians. I don't mind admitting I stopped for a breather before the steepest bit, but halfway up the steepest bit I ran out of go and had to stop. There was no way I was going to be able to clip in and get going again, so I had to do the walk of shame, at least till the slope reduced a bit.

At the top it opened out into the lovely green space that is the downs. It was a touch windy up here that made it difficult to pedal, but I got a lovely but wintery view of my next destination, the suspension bridge.
View attachment 117222 View attachment 117223

I never get tired of cycling over this gorgeous landmark. Shortly on the far side of the bridge I was into the Ashton Court park (the venue of the Bristol Balloon Fiesta) and near my first rest break. It was at this point I got a bit butter fingered and managed to save the ride instead of just pausing it :banghead:, so after the cafe stop I had to start a new ride on my Garmin. Had a lovely sausage and egg bap and a hot cup of tea before heading back out.

There is a great descent from the cafe at Ashton Court, but to prevent cyclists just letting rip and releasing the brakes they have put speed humps in. It's fair enough though as there are a lot of pedestrians in the park. On the descent I got a lovely view of the deer that call the park their home.

View attachment 117224 View attachment 117225

As I exited the park I passed a satellite campus of my own loonie-versity, UWE. From here I joined festival way heading for the harbour side. At the harbourside I saw this little loco standing outside the M Shed Museum. I couldn't help feeling that someone had squished it a bit.
View attachment 117226

From here I headed through Queens Square, a nice little green space where there are often small events held in the summer. At this time of year there are just lots of people exercising, running laps around the square. I headed for Castle Park, forgetting that The Welsh Back is surfaced with pave so got a bit jolted around. From Castle Park, I headed for the start of the Bristol to Bath Railway Path, and got my head down for around 5 miles of traffic free cycling heading for my next cafe stop at Warmley. It was great cycling through the tunnel again as it had been closed for so long I had avoided it.
View attachment 117227

At my coffee stop I decided I needed a defintie energy top up so had one of their last pieces of cake and a KitKat. I also sneaked a little stiffener into my Americano :shy:.

Heading back along the railway path for a mile or so, I joined the ring road cycle path for the final leg. It's traffic free but the road is a mere 10m away and it is a busy dual carriageway so it can hardly be called peaceful. By now my legs were feeling it so it was now in a get myself home mode. I still had the nasty sneaky hill by the Hilton to come. It can hardly be called a long hill, or even s steep hill, but it is one of those hills that gets steeper as you ride along and you don't notice you're climbing till almost the top of the hill. From here I cycled past my loonie-versitys main campus and headed for the series of parks that are dotted around the "stokes" and I was nearly home.

Popped into Tesco just a half mile from home as my fiance is going out tonight and I needed a meal for one which will not require a lot of effort haha! Then home, lock the bike away and almost straight into a bath where I soaked away for an hour in candle light and had a compilation of tunes from musicals playing on the bluetooth speaker, heaven!

In total 34 miles with 1677ft of climbing. The strava is here: part 1 & part 2.

Hugs
Archeress x
Holly bush lane.... It is steep, and I can inform you that it used to be wide enough to drive a beetle or two down there..... They have now put in a bollard to stop daft university students from trying to do that! (We weren't actually sure we would fit through at the bottom, and if so would have to have reversed all the way back up again!:blush:)

Sounds as though you had a good ride, if a little on the cool side!

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
I changed my planned route to Brockenhurst because of road closures due to flooding & instead headed east. No real biggie but this was just the first thing to go wrong today as a mile in I thought I had died as my heart rate monitor was reading zero heart rate :ohmy:, again not a big problem & a quick jiggle around & it was up & running as I headed into the chilly sunshine.

However, the big problem started 10 miles in when on a slight incline my pedals stopped turning with my "un-clip" foot at the top of the stroke rather than the bottom where I normally un-clip. A quick panic moment & I managed to stop without falling off & investigate only to find the pin on the new chain that I had fitted yesterday had started popping out & had jammed the chain in the front derailleur! Bugger,no spare pin or chain tool on me so it was a question of just pushing it back in as best I could & carry on but sure enough it happened again a couple of miles later so now being 12 miles from home I decided on a left turn to head back through Landford rather than be stranded with a unconnected chain to many miles from home!

I still managed 31 miles, with numerous more chain problems before I got home & did the job properly. Lesson learnt I think! :whistle:

https://www.strava.com/activities/480441575

002.JPG

Old jon

Guru
I changed my planned route to Brockenhurst because of road closures due to flooding & instead headed east. No real biggie but this was just the first thing to go wrong today as a mile in I thought I had died as my heart rate monitor was reading zero heart rate :ohmy:, again not a big problem & a quick jiggle around & it was up & running as I headed into the chilly sunshine.

However, the big problem started 10 miles in when on a slight incline my pedals stopped turning with my "un-clip" foot at the top of the stroke rather than the bottom where I normally un-clip. A quick panic moment & I managed to stop without falling off & investigate only to find the pin on the new chain that I had fitted yesterday had started popping out & had jammed the chain in the front derailleur! Bugger,no spare pin or chain tool on me so it was a question of just pushing it back in as best I could & carry on but sure enough it happened again a couple of miles later so now being 12 miles from home I decided on a left turn to head back through Landford rather than be stranded with a unconnected chain to many miles from home!

I still managed 31 miles, with numerous more chain problems before I got home & did the job properly. :whistle:

https://www.strava.com/activities/480441575

View attachment 117232

Chain problems, yuck. A like for the ride.

I still managed 31 miles, with numerous more chain problems before
I couldn't get down to Brockenhurst today, the whole area is screwed with flooding, I went North.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
The weather over the next few days is due to be horrendous with strong 40+ mph gales right through the weekend, the occasional lull, but even then the rain will be with us most of the time; cycling may not be the wisest choice of activity during that time, so this morning when I opened the curtains about 8.30 am and saw a bright sunny sky it was an opportunity I had to take. The south-westerly wind of around 20 mph meant the same Crosby ride I did on Monday would give me a tailwind when most tired so off I went. Rather than fighting the wind on the way out, I disciplined myself and used a low gear whilst pedalling steadily. A lovely, bright, fresh day for a ride, which was thoroughly enjoyable. A few photos of Crosby shore again, this time with the tide out and hence Anthony Gormley's iron men being visible. The beach in the winter sunshine, the white rollers landing on the shore and the sound of the sea's roar made it a splendid place to be.

20160128_105512.jpg

20160128_105517.jpg

20160128_105521.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Here here! Nice early finish at work today, due to an off site meeting finishing earlier than expected. Thought about a ride and then the heavens opened and winds got up to 30mph. Was hoping to get out on Saturday morning as well and that looks like 40mph winds. Not a chance in that
I'm planning to get my metric century in on Saturday.:crazy:

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
First ride since Monday. To be accurate, I did pedal away from home on Tuesday, but a mile and a half out and the wind just stopped me. Don't need that. I went and picked up my first ever pair of cycling glasses, and took them out for a 34.4 mile trip today. They really are brilliant, I can confidently report that at one stage in the ride I was accompanied by three goldfinches flitting from twig to twig, while I was gasping for breath up a bit of a hill . . .
Before the glasses the birds would have been light brown smudges.

Usual way out from home, Crown Point Bridge, Oakwood Clock, Boot Hill, Red Hall, Skeltons and Thorner Lanes, out of Thorner up Church Hill, then this fast bit of road with an obliging tailwind.

And from the end of the video to Bramham, Wetherby along West Woods Road and further on to Kirk Deighton for a sandwich stop. Back home via the A 58 in the company of a couple of brief showers and an occasional headwind. Tired I was, but a good ride for me.

Really enjoy your videos. My son moved to Leeds in 2009 to go to university, now he lives and works there. I have recognised a couple of places in your clips now and again from when we have been in that neck of the woods.

Old jon

Guru
Really enjoy your videos. My son moved to Leeds in 2009 to go to university, now he lives and works there. I have recognised a couple of places in your clips now and again from when we have been in that neck of the woods.

That is kind of you to say so, thank you. The little camera, about the size of a matchbox, always amazes me with the quality of its output.

Top Bottom