Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grumpyoldwoman

My monthly ride up to Dundry.

Rode south thru Bristol into an increasing headwind. Joined the Festival Way then the small climb up Yanley Lane. Due to the strong wind decided to climb up to Dundry via Highridge Rd.

Great view of Bristol from the top.

View attachment 117639

Then dropped off the ridge & back into Bristol via Whitchurch, Stockwood & the Avon ring road.

View attachment 117640

That view is nice,going to have to give that one a go......when the wind dies down,if it ever does!

Oldbloke

Guru
Weather forecast dry all day. Went out midday, got to the top of our valley and found a constant drizzle accompanied by a blustery headwind waiting for me!

This got steadily worse, made the mistake of riding south west across the hills on the back lanes to Fougeres, so my fault. Crosswinds pushed me off road onto the grass a couple of times, drizzle turned to rain which got heavier by the time I'd done 18 kms, so wussed out and rode back to the main road, the rain eased off and stopped shortly after. Too wet to enjoy extending the ride so home. 37 kms

gavgav

Guru
Fair play to anyone who was able to get out on a bike today. If you live in Shropshire (other places may have been equally as bad) and you went out on a bike today then you must be mad. 70mph gusts this afternoon.

Funniest moment of the day, probably shouldn't laugh, was when driving through town to a meeting, a chap crossed the road and his beanie hat blew off his head and flew off into the distance and into the river :laugh::laugh::laugh:. Sorry, but it's the little things that keep me going!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I was waiting for Mrs Dave this evening , to kill the time I usually slalom around a lamp post and a few trees on the West Cambridge site. At the end of the row as I was rounding the lamp post a gust of wind stopped me in my tracks, at low speed and the wheel on full turn.....

How I managed to unclip so quick I'll never know. Nearly clipless moment time!

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
I went to Crosby sea front this afternoon in the car!!!

I could hardly stand up it was so windy. You would have had difficulty on a bike I think!!
@DaveGM This might be going a little bit off topic - apologies if so. I saw some amazing photos and videos of the high tide there last Tuesday when the winds were also very strong. If you are interested there is a Facebook group named, "I'm at Crosby beach and the weather is...............". For all I know you could already know of it because it has almost 1,900 members. It has many excellent photos and is a very enjoyable page to browse. I live in Southport and as well as it being one of my regular cycling routes, my wife and I go there for a stroll at least once a week. It is one of those special places.

DaveGM

@DaveGM This might be going a little bit off topic - apologies if so. I saw some amazing photos and videos of the high tide there last Tuesday when the winds were also very strong. If you are interested there is a Facebook group named, "I'm at Crosby beach and the weather is...............". For all I know you could already know of it because it has almost 1,900 members. It has many excellent photos and is a very enjoyable page to browse. I live in Southport and as well as it being one of my regular cycling routes, my wife and I go there for a stroll at least once a week. It is one of those special places.

@Roadhump
I'm in Southport too and think I will try a ride to Crosby when the weather improves. At about 25 -30 miles round trip it would be my furthest as I only started riding again when I retired last summer! I could always divert and get the train back at any of the stations between Southport and Crosby if it seems too much!

Good facebook page by the way.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays, very windy, ride...

I had the chance to get out before work yesterday so popped over to a mates house... Jeez but the headwind was challenging!!
After a coffee, we headed to another friends place for a cuppa and a chat before going to Harleston Firs for a play.

Firs leap.jpg

Firstly, we rode through the wiggly bit to The Avenue which is a good place to practice some jumps.

Firs.png

It's great fun in there but I only had time for a short mess about before aiming homewards. After a slice of cake I'd made for the ride, T'other two carried on for another hour though. Lucky beggars!

Fortunately, I gave myself a bit of spare time as the p*ncture fairy paid me a visit a few miles form home. After checking the tyre for thorns, glass, sharp things etc, I fitted my replacement tube, pumped it up and continued on my way for just under a mile before I noticed the back the was slowly deflating. Oh, great... another p*ncture! As I wasn't far from home by now, I pumped it up a few times before reaching my house.
This mornings job was fitting a new tube after a further check of the inside of the tyre. Nothing there to cause it, so maybe it was a quick 'in and out' as I rode over summat.
Such is life!

Anyway, 26 fun miles with a 'Character Building' wind to fight against some of the way before having to go to w*rk.. Booooo

https://www.strava.com/activities/483459614

:smile:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
One of the most enjoyable rides this year, with the bonus of discovering a quiet lane that provides some of the best scenery in Suffolk. (Hey, what can I say - we like our tractors and fields in these parts and so I may be easily pleased.)
Aside from deciding that I want to endeavour to get out on any bike every day this year, over the weekend I thought it might be nice to try and do longer rides on Tuesdays and Thursdays (as well as my usual Sunday pootle), so today headed west from Ipswich into the wind to try for another 50km.
The route is posted in the 50 challenge, but points of note include:
At Copdock I encountered a man on skis on the road. I'll repeat that, a man on skis, in the road, missing the crucial ingredient to his sport - the snow. His skis seemed to be attached to roller skates, so I'm making the guess that he was training for some cross-country skiing event. Either that or the eccentricity of this nation knows no bounds. I said hello ...
At Shelly, as the sun came out, I was treated to some fabulous views and some tranquil spots along a lane I've never explored before. Pic below.
The disused railway track that Dan and I used for one of last year's Tour De Cochon Stages (nice and dry then), was rather muddy. I think Patsy #2 The CX loved it.
At Sproughton, a startled pigeon emerged from a hedge and flew inches from my face. Luckily there was no other traffic as I swerved.
And I immensely enjoyed the tailwind coming home. ^_^

This out near Raydon - just as the sky began to clear.
IMG_0055.JPG

A view from a rare spot in Suffolk: the top of a hill. This near ... Higham.
IMG_0056.JPG

And finally, one at Shelly. (Apologises for the quality - I may go back to taking a proper camera with me, rather than rely on the mobile.)
IMG_0058.JPG

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
we like our tractors

I like tractors and often slow down or stop to get a better view of one.

D

Deleted member 1258

A ride down to Catthorpe this morning, a 52 mile journey. I got up this morning looked at the wind blowing the tree's around and the dark grey morning and I wasn't sure whether to go or not, but by the time I got to Churchover the grey skies had cleared and I was riding under blue skies. The wind was behind me most of the way out and I was spinning the fixed up to a wind assisted 23-24 mph, most of the way back I was slogging into the wind very slowly. I took a fairly direct route out, and came across hedge cutting in Withybrook lane but got past without a flat, wasn't so lucky on the way back, a lot thicker carpet of debris on the road behind the tractor and I picked up a puncture in the front, thats twice I've come across hedge cutting this year and have ended up with punctures. I got just past the Pailton transmitter on the way out and got shat on as I went under a tree, Mr Bird was a crack shot, got my wooly hat, new tights and my bike. I took a longer more scenic route back, when I got into Shawell instead of turning left I rode straight on to Walcote and on through Gilmorton to pick up one of my regular routes home. Today was a bit of an adventure and a hard ride but most of it was fun.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
A nice 64 miles in the wind today, First day for a while i had nothing to do. looked out the window the sun was shining, Got all my gear on and away i went. Had planned a nice 40 miles but the weather was so nice i just carried on. Got a bit lost the other side of Hatfield Heath but soon got to some where i knew, Really enjoyed it could have done with a little less wind.:okay:
https://www.strava.com/activities/484264860

Last edited:

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
@Roadhump
I'm in Southport too and think I will try a ride to Crosby when the weather improves. At about 25 -30 miles round trip it would be my furthest as I only started riding again when I retired last summer! I could always divert and get the train back at any of the stations between Southport and Crosby if it seems too much!

Good facebook page by the way.
Until 3 years ago I had had a mountain bike for about 15 years and used to do the Coast Road and the woodland track between Ainsdale and Freshfield beach, the Cheshire Lines and the Leeds / Liverpool canal, but I started using the roads more so decided to buy a hybrid (want to get a nice road bike as well but Mrs R not yet convinced). I rarely did more than 15-20 miles. When I started using the hybrid I went from about 20 miles to 30-35 in a matter of a few months, the only problem I have now is time!! I am in my mid 50s and carrying a bit of weight - far from a fitness guru so if you are reasonably fit you should soon be able to cope with that round trip. It is a nice ride and you can generally do it on relatively quiet roads where you don't get too badly bullied by vehicles. There are some unavoidable busy stretches and some iffy junctions / roundabouts, but aren't there always? Usually on the way back, but occasionally on the way there, I use the coastal path between Hall Road and Hightown, then the path from Hightown to Formby, through the village, and past Formby Hall before heading back through Ainsdale. Good luck.

robjh

Legendary Member
I did just a short ride today, 20 miles at the end of the afternoon to enjoy the last of the sunshine in some of the modest little hills around here.
Starting from Duxford I rode out along Grange Road, which runs past the IWM and Duxford airfield - no spitfires or anything else in evidence at this time of the afternoon - then down for a short way onto the busy A505, before turning south again and up the escarpment to Heydon, on a road I haven't taken before. Then to Great Chishill and onto the B-road SE for a while, before swinging north again to Chrishall. I also explored a dead-end road up to a place signposted as 'Bilden or Building End', out of curiosity. I'm normally with other people or in more of a hurry on these roads so I took time today to explore. I finished up going through Elmdon, and back down the slope of the chalk ridge to Ickleton and Duxford again. These are all close to home but very nice roads, particularly at dusk.

View north from Heydon to the flatlands
20160202 Heydon view (1)C.jpg

upload_2016-2-2_21-48-33.png

First commute after the lurgy(actually still got it a bit) ,so was a bit of an effort especially with it being chilly and a headwind.
Once hands had warmed up felt a bit better but as I'm still not 100% kept the pace steady to keep the heart rate down;pretty unremarkable commute though which is always a good thing;definately think the two lights on the rear seat stays are helping with traffic giving me more room and the Exposure Strada is still awesome:becool:.
Still good to sort of get back in the groove and might ride home this evening as I'll be leaving later so the traffic should have calmed down by then.

https://www.strava.com/activities/484784267

Top Bottom